Looking for advice on purchasing a new flat panel tv for gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to the forum so I will apologize before hand if I'm not posting my question in the correct area.

I am looking to purchase a new TV for my PS4 and consider myself a fairly hardcore gamer. I'm on a tight budget and cant afford to get a super expensive TV. The TV set I'm currently thinking of purchasing is a Vizio E420i-A0 42" I would like to keep my budget around $600 which is kind of low but its what I have to work with right now.

For TV specs here is the link - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E420i-A0-42-1080p-120Hz-Class-3.23-ultra-slim-LED-Smart-HDTV/22061194

Based off what I've researched on this TV is its a good entry level set and  It has a decent picture. The input lag database has this one listed as having a 28ms delay which is according to the site is great. My concerns with this set is its listed as having a 120hz refresh rate but acts more like a 60hz TV. Iam assuming that 28ms is pretty good for response time? Also would I run into ghosting or blurring issues with this TV? I play alot of different games but mainly Cod Ghosts and Battlefield 4 at the moment.

I would really appreciate any help anybody could offer on this, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
i would suggest getting a samsung plasma and at your price range the 51 inch version goes around your price range. plasma are the best possible picture quality and has no noticeable lag , in comparison lcd has motion blurr , off axis angles , clouds , worse blacks then plasma technology . and lcd is more expensive then plasma tech. i game 98% of my tv viewing time.

when you get a new plasma you want zoom in on the dvds so you have no black bars

durring 1st week of tv being on you want to mix the content 150 hours of tv being on

after the 150 hrs of use the panel will be more resistant to temporarly image retention.

theirs a break in disc in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/949107/master-burn-in-ir-break-in-thread-part-ii-all-posts-here-only/0_100

download that slide or burn the iso to a dvdr. also viewing in store will be different then viewing at home because at home your lighting and other variables is different then the store.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #3 of 3 Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If you truly consider yourself a hardcore gamer you should know there are two factors the gamers CANNOT ignore and those are input lags and motion performance. (and no! Input lag has no relations with blur reduction. It's more about button latency)

The Samsung F5300 is not only one of the BEST gamer's HDTV of 2013, but it also fits your bill. I second Gus' opinion.

Second best would be the Panasonic S60, the one I have. It's discontinued, but do look out for any open box deals. Motion performance is a bit worse than the F5300, but more than makes it with high end PQ. I chose it because it's actually good for not only input lag and motion performance, but also the PQ. So many gamer's displays have mediocre PQ. Not on mine.

If you want to go with LCDs, things are a lot more complicated though... PQ wise, it makes sense to go with PVA, but IPS has better motion performance so there are choices to make. The Sony W900 will still be the distant third with its Motionplus Impulse, but according to owners, it's very buggy.
gus738 likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page