LG 55EA9800 OLED TV: A Brief Critical Look - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Has anyone seen the LG play content like a movie? Alls I have seen at BB was there OLED content disc. Idk why they don't hook them up for movies. And my god the LG was so thin I felt it was gonna snap like a twig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

The question now is can anyone make a 4K OLED at a reasonable price before the 4K LCDs kill off OLED for good.
I was under the impression that, once yields reach an optimal level, OLED TVs will be cheaper to produce than LCD TVs. However, Panasonic's printable OLED displays are rumoured to be one of the main drivers towards this ( http://news.oled-display.net/oled-inkjet-printing/ ).

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Has anyone seen the LG play content like a movie? Alls I have seen at BB was there OLED content disc. Idk why they don't hook them up for movies. And my god the LG was so thin I felt it was gonna snap like a twig.

The OLED demo content they always have running is absolutely terrible. LG has a lot to learn from Sony and Samsung when it comes to the quality of their demo content.

As for movies? Well they look incredible. You'll find many impressions spread across this thread.

If you get to test a blu ray on a set in the store, you should change picture mode to one of the 'isf expert' settings, and then get to work dialling in something reasonable. In such a lit environment you can turn off automatic light adjustment, turn OLED light and contrast up to 100. Turn off all motion processing (imo), and turn all sharpness or such image processing off as well. And set Color to 'Wide'.

The color and image quality of a bluray like Frozen is spectacular on this set. I believe the aspect ratio is also 16:9.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotgoal View Post

On printing, when it is ready which as was posted will be several years away, they likely won't have the same specs as vacuum processed sets. The materials available for printing currently have shorter lifetimes and lower efficiency. That may change in a few years, of course. But for now the prospect for printing is a lower priced set but with a lower performance.
Do you have a link to all this? I've searched through this thread but can't find anything.

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post

Do you have a link to all this? I've searched through this thread but can't find anything.

A number of companies (Merck, Idemitsu Kosan, Chisso, Dow, BASF to name some) make fluorescent blue materials and you can look up the specs of those. All phosphorescent red and green materials come from Universal Display so I'll link you to their products. The printing process itself further degrades performance .. at least that's been the case and we'll see if that has changed.

vacuum processed materials
http://www.udcoled.com/default.asp?contentID=604

printed materials
http://www.udcoled.com/default.asp?contentID=606
Old 10-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Axxion

Fix the gaming lag and im sold

I'd be worried about the burn in. Just buy a gaming monitor or one of the new sony LCD TVs and save the OLED for critical watching.
I didn't think OLED could suffer from burn in or IR? I thought Plasma was the only tech that suffered from this?

Also is the input lag really that bad on this set for gaming? Straight up deal breaker for me as I game hard on my TV's and until Destiny came out used my beautiful Panasonic 60VT60. Sadly the developers at Bungie used a horrible choice in colour for the HUD and I have minor burn in on the bottom left of my set.

So I've been looking to replace it with something and this set hit my radar.

I'm not sure if this set is the same as the 55EA9800 as there doesn't seem to be much info on the 55EA9700

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ab72564640en02
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It is. Only difference is the placement of the speakers.
If you want a gaming OLED, take a look at the EC9300 with approx. 30 ms lag (PC label with game mode enabled).
vaktmestern likes this.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
It is. Only difference is the placement of the speakers.
If you want a gaming OLED, take a look at the EC9300 with approx. 30 ms lag (PC label with game mode enabled).
Is there a single frigging set on the market that is better than a Panasonic 60VT60 that is under $5,000?

I'm so shocked by how hard it is to find a solid gaming TV that is well rounded for TV, Gaming and Blu Ray movies.

It seems everything has horrible input lag, or horrible motion stutter.

How do these companies not realize that gaming is a billion dollar market and having insanely quality gaming TV's would probably be in their best interest.

It's so frustrating shopping for TV's because when you finally find something that looks promising it will have this massive flaw when using it for gaming.

For example the one you just recommended has bad reviews for distracting judder issues. So the response time and picture are good but then it has a new issue lol.
ChaosCloud and Yappadappadu like this.

Last edited by SpacedDuck; 10-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post
Is there a single frigging set on the market that is better than a Panasonic 60VT60 that is under $5,000?

I'm so shocked by how hard it is to find a solid gaming TV that is well rounded for TV, Gaming and Blu Ray movies.

It seems everything has horrible input lag, or horrible motion stutter.

How do these companies not realize that gaming is a billion dollar market and having insanely quality gaming TV's would probably be in their best interest.

It's so frustrating shopping for TV's because when you finally find something that looks promising it will have this massive flaw when using it for gaming.
I hear ya. Unfortunately, the only real way around this is to go with a gaming monitor. And those are expensive for their size. We really are in the period we'll one day refer to as "When Things Were Rotten".

rodtsasdt 111111report*
P-1 CUR ALLOC 20195.....5805M
HELLO GREGORY
Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I hear ya. Unfortunately, the only real way around this is to go with a gaming monitor. And those are expensive for their size. We really are in the period we'll one day refer to as "When Things Were Rotten".
Sure sounds like it. There's no 60" gaming monitors to my knowledge. I'd consider that but this is my main TV so that makes it a problem.

Thankfully my warranty allows me to replace my TV for the value I paid for it anytime between now and October 2017. So I guess I'll play the waiting game and hope someone wakes up and sees the huge slice of business waiting for them with solid gaming sets.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Sure sounds like it. There's no 60" gaming monitors to my knowledge. I'd consider that but this is my main TV so that makes it a problem.

Thankfully my warranty allows me to replace my TV for the value I paid for it anytime between now and October 2017. So I guess I'll play the waiting game and hope someone wakes up and sees the huge slice of business waiting for them with solid gaming sets.
Supposedly the Sony W series has often had fairly respectable lag times. Check out DisplayLag.com.....they have a chart of numerous TVs and their respective lags......perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

The other idea would be to go and ask on the blurbusters.com forum. Mark Rejhon is the owner of that site: he's been deep into mitigating motion problems. He might point you toward a LightBoost monitor.

rodtsasdt 111111report*
P-1 CUR ALLOC 20195.....5805M
HELLO GREGORY
Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I didn't think OLED could suffer from burn in or IR? I thought Plasma was the only tech that suffered from this?

Also is the input lag really that bad on this set for gaming? Straight up deal breaker for me as I game hard on my TV's and until Destiny came out used my beautiful Panasonic 60VT60. Sadly the developers at Bungie used a horrible choice in colour for the HUD and I have minor burn in on the bottom left of my set.

So I've been looking to replace it with something and this set hit my radar.

I'm not sure if this set is the same as the 55EA9800 as there doesn't seem to be much info on the 55EA9700

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ab72564640en02
The 9700 seems to be sold in Canada only, so not as many owners. I had this set for a few days and the input lag was too high for me on PC mode/game mode. All the 1st gen sets (9800, 8800, 9700) seem to be the same at ~55ms according to reviews.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCloud View Post
The 9700 seems to be sold in Canada only, so not as many owners. I had this set for a few days and the input lag was too high for me on PC mode/game mode. All the 1st gen sets (9800, 8800, 9700) seem to be the same at ~55ms according to reviews.
Thanks, I'm going to keep my 60VT60 until someone makes a worthy upgrade. I've got until October 2017 to milk this warranty so why not. The IR I have now is noticeable on lighter screens but thankfully not always there.

So made that Bungie who spent $500 million making the POS that is Destiny didn't create a more TV friendly HUD. Inexcusable if you ask me.
Bruce2019 likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Take gaming breaks n run other content for a while ... thats the key on oled n plasma gaming.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
IR is minimal on this TV although still possible. LG's unofficial number on panel life is 20,000 to 30,000 hours before it show noticeable dimness. Still way below Plasma's 60,000 to 100,000 hours.

Gaming lag can be drastically reduced when use Game mode. It's not a big concern as long as Game mode is engaged as reported by my 'professional gamers' in house, my teenage kids.

The black level on the TV alone makes me no longer wish to watch my Panasonic Plasma TV anymore. It can easily eat any plasma TV for breakfast.
hobbs47 likes this.

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player