Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV vs. LG EA9800 OLED TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The title says it all… biggrin.gif So I'm pretty much decided on picking up an OLED instead of a 4k TV. I'll be upgrading from an older Samsung UN55C8000 which has been a tremendous TV for me, but I want that "next level" PQ and it appears these two OLEDs are the ticket to opening my eyes to PQ nirvana. I've been reading through both the Samsung and LG threads with interest and I've read some reviews on both TVs. But I want to get some input as to a direct comparison between the two. I'm leaning towards the LG because I like the design and thin form factor a little better as well as the fact that it's WAY lighter than the Samsung. I'm not sure I like the Timeless Arena frame around the Samsung and I'm wondering if that can be removed from the TV. Do any of you have any experience viewing BOTH TVs? Which TV would you prefer and why? Thanks for any feedback!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick update…I just noticed a used Samsung OLED on Amazon for $3,000 (it was one of their Amazon Warehouse deals for a used TV), so I jumped on it and decided to get it. I think it's a TREMENDOUS deal and Amazon has a 30-day return policy, so I wanted to see what this TV has to offer. I'd still appreciate any feedback on both sets and how they compare, but I'm thinking this $3,000 deal on a Samsung is something I couldn't miss out on. wink.gif
music_to_my_ear likes this.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
post #3 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 689
post #4 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Looks like they're even lower now

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #5 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Good deal, I would have picked it up as well !

Exactly…I thought it was a TREMENDOUS deal and as you know, I was seriously considering the LG. But I figured at this price, I should jump on it. Hopefully I made the right decision and the TV is in good shape! Since it's a used TV, I'm a little nervous about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Looks like they're even lower now

Lower from what? Are you referring to the Samsung OLED being lower than the original $10,000 price? As far as I can tell, I've only seen it lowered to $9,000 on the very few sites that are carrying it at all (including the Samsung site). There's one on eBay from Korea for $15,000. Have you seen a lower price on it than $9,000?

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
post #6 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Exactly…I thought it was a TREMENDOUS deal and as you know, I was seriously considering the LG. But I figured at this price, I should jump on it. Hopefully I made the right decision and the TV is in good shape! Since it's a used TV, I'm a little nervous about it.
Lower from what? Are you referring to the Samsung OLED being lower than the original $10,000 price? As far as I can tell, I've only seen it lowered to $9,000 on the very few sites that are carrying it at all (including the Samsung site). There's one on eBay from Korea for $15,000. Have you seen a lower price on it than $9,000?

I meant lower at a used price- I saw it for $2500 on Amazon used, but I posted this too soon. I went to the product page and it wasn't there.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #7 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oooooohhhh, ok…at first I thought you had found a cheaper price on a new Samsung OLED! biggrin.gif I just checked Amazon and it looks like they just have one refurbished TV for $9,000. I'm really happy I jumped on that deal when I saw it! I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
post #8 of 26 Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
The price is too good to be true but i ordered one on March 31, 2014 around $2500. If something is wrong with TV, Amazon will refund money back to me.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-04-2014, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Really?! Wow, that's incredible! When are you supposed to get yours in? I'd like to hear your impressions of the TV when it comes in. Mine is supposed to arrive next week.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
post #10 of 26 Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
CEVA is going to contact me on April 8, 2014 for delivery. 55" OLED is little too small for my living room but i hope OLED looks better than my Pioneer KURO 151FD.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Welcome to the club, boys. Be sure to post your impressions in the OLED owners thread. Oh, and please post a ton of pictures. We love pictures.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Glad to see more members purchasing the samsung. I just recently made another purchased my second set because I loved my first so much and went with the LG gallery OLED which I purchased from Value Electronics and will be receiving Friday or next week. For all you new Samsung OLED owners you will truly love it so enjoy taking off extra sick days to enjoy a totally new viewing experience.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Welcome to the club, boys. Be sure to post your impressions in the OLED owners thread. Oh, and please post a ton of pictures. We love pictures.

Thanks for the warm welcome! smile.gif I'm excited about this set, hopefully I won't have any problems with it since it's a used TV. I'll post pics when I get it set up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

Glad to see more members purchasing the samsung. I just recently made another purchased my second set because I loved my first so much and went with the LG gallery OLED which I purchased from Value Electronics and will be receiving Friday or next week. For all you new Samsung OLED owners you will truly love it so enjoy taking off extra sick days to enjoy a totally new viewing experience.

LOL...I'm already feeling a bit weird after ordering my TV, so I get the feeling that I'll be developing a pretty severe flu once it comes in and I'm done setting it up. tongue.gif

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
post #14 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Welcome to the club, boys.

you mean the Fading Pixels and Burn In club?

you need some chill pills if you want to join that club
it doesnt sound healthy wink.gif
post #15 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 931

Dying pixels: yes.

Non-linear wear causing what looks like the IR of plasma-yore, no, that seems to be fixable with color slides.  The goal is to push the wear into the stable linear-flatish region.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #16 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Non-linear wear causing what looks like the IR of plasma-yore, no, that seems to be fixable with color slides.  The goal is to push the wear into the stable linear-flatish region.

Have yet to find any info on OLED wear characteristics as a function of time. If you have such info, a link would be most appreciated.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Have yet to find any info on OLED wear characteristics as a function of time. If you have such info, a link would be most appreciated.

If you do really mean "any info" on OLED wear characteristics, then you weren't looking very hard, if at all.  Blue wear is a known problem in this science.  And one of the claims to fame on the Kodak/LG stacked OLED approach is precisely centered on the uneven wear characteristics between the colors.

If you don't mean that "any info" comment and mean to be strictly regarding my comments on early non-linear wear issues and potential resolutions, I should have said that the results were empirical in nature, not definitive, but note the following:

Very recently the first hand reports from two people running color slides to defeat the IR letterboxes that showed up very quickly on the LG 55EA9800 are here: post #1120.  Note, there are very few of these TVs purchased, so this information is only just rolling in per model.

The IR of a few OLED models have been speculated to be initial nonlinear wear as causes.  Cnet refers to treating OLEDs as you would plasmas here.  Further, the initial "break in" period of plasmas has been attributed to initial non-linear wear.  This is the only reason that early onset of color slides work with plasmas and is a very common suggestion even from manufacturers.  It's hardly a bad speculation to suggest that it works to remove the IR experienced by ThePlague and Vinnie (in that thread I posted) for the same reason.  Those retentions occurred very quickly within the first few days of operation.

Also note that as with plasma, this is distinct from burn in, which also seems to affect OLEDs, and is non-fixable.

And a final note: While we don't know with OLEDs, plasmas also seem to suffer an "fixable" IR later in life as well, and while I don't fully understand the reasons, I've read it had to do a static charge buildup in the plasma cell, rendering any voltage applied to it less effective.  This can be nullified by pixel flipping, and I'm guessing it's a form of degaussing at that point.  There is currently no evidence yet that later-in-life IR exists for OLED, and I'm worried that anything that might happen later in life might always actually be permanent burn in.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #18 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
^Your worry has me worried.tongue.gif
post #19 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Your worry has me worried.tongue.gif

LOL!  Don't worry.  Feel free to revoke the sage-title you granted me if it helps you sleep at night.  :)

post #20 of 26 Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuza View Post

The price is too good to be true but i ordered one on March 31, 2014 around $2500. If something is wrong with TV, Amazon will refund money back to me.
I saw that, was a newly listed seller and probably a scam, but let us know if it shows. If it was a warehouse deal I would have bought it, however it was new and as noted a new seller.

There is no question the Samsung is NOT is full production, almost no one has them. Something happened that Samsung basically stopped producing there OLED's. frown.gif
post #21 of 26 Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuza View Post

I saw that, was a newly listed seller and probably a scam, but let us know if it shows. If it was a warehouse deal I would have bought it, however it was new and as noted a new seller.

Keep in mind people, for the most part there are 3 distinct ways of buying through amazon.com.  And they are not created equal.

And no, a good BBB rating no longer ensures anything: Bad companies will settle with screwed over people who complain to the BBB so long as they retract the complaint.

How to avoid online HDTV shopping scams - NBC News

Apr 29, 2012 - When researching this article the name Abe's of Maine kept popping up, so we refer to them as the poster child bad online dealers.

As always, double check before you buy and don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it.

And if I've said it 20 times by now here I wouldn't be amazed: READ THE RETURN POLICY.  There are some really really bad characters out there.

Again, verify everything (I'm no amazon rep), but this is my experience with the 3 most common ways of buying from amazon.com:

1. Directly from Amazon as the seller I've found this to be totally safe, and it comes from Amazon itself, they're the actual vendor, and it comes from their warehouses.  The return policy is almost always no questions asked.  Often listed as prime, but doesn't need to be.

2. From a Marketplace Seller but listed as "Fulfilled by Amazon".  An Amazon rep told me that this is "as safe" as buying from #1 above....full Amazon return policy, etc.  It's still "through the vendor" but actually shipped from (and returned to if needed) an amazon site.  Note: Amazon Warehouse deals are also in this category.

3. From a Marketplace Seller (but not FBA).  You absolutely have to read through the return policy here.  I would never purchase a TV from someone in this category but only because I've seen the most horribly written return policies and some of them will say obfuscating crap like "contact vendor for more information".  There are good ones for this, but frankly I'm sick to death of reading the sob stories: I don't blame the victims; I'm just so sick of it happening over and over.  That said there are some trusted vendors in this category as well, but for TVs?  Be careful.

If that vendor was not #1 or #2 above, the buyer might be in for a struggle in returning it.

post #22 of 26 Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It all depends on price I guess, we sell under >>> 3. From a Marketplace Seller (but not FBA). On some TV's I have saved people thousands. Like the 84LM9600, our price is 50% less, and OMG is that some serious cash !
post #23 of 26 Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 269
There is a poll on one of the OLED sites.

Question: Do you plan to buy a OLED tv for 6.000-9.000 dollar?

NO (80%, 35 votes)
YES (20%, 9 votes)
post #24 of 26 Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED

An update from Samsungparts.com

So they did confirm that Samsung has officially discontinued this product so the panels are discontinued as well.

Just giving you guys a heads-up that if the panels go out or something there will be no replacement for it....And there is a lot of saying within Korean engineers that if Samsung discontinues a panel then there must be a reason (e.g. faulty panel or very low life expectancy or a critical error). Please take note...
post #25 of 26 Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

you mean the Fading Pixels and Burn In club?

you need some chill pills if you want to join that club
it doesnt sound healthy wink.gif

This guy doesn't even own an OLED and he's talking $hit about them in the OLED owners thread LOL
post #26 of 26 Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

He's free to do that... All ideas are welcome. Owners threads are neither restricted to owners nor fans of a particular technology or product.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page