A new kind of plasma? ex-Fujitsu engineers create foldable glass tube arrays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

This sounds really cool, the glass tube panels are stackable and somehow you can roll each portion up without damaging them :eek:

I don't know whether its out of the concept stage but what is the likelihood a major manufacturer will pick up and run with this technology?

vinnie97 and Weboh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Slim to none, but that just shows plasma hadn't reached its zenith at least in lab experiment form. Mass production challenges are also unknowns. The worldwide economic downturn seemed to drive a stake through the heart of scaling up efforts like these.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I think it's pretty cool. I don't see a future for it outside of a few niches. Of the features I look for in a TV, being able to fold up the display is far down the list.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Pray for ANY technology that will loose the world from the horror that is LCD!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 937
it's very cool, and I think it would have been a big deal 2-3yrs ago. maybe would have saved plasma...

but those glass tubes presumably can't be made much smaller, which means making small displays with them might not be possible, especially not at high resolutions. if each tub represents one pixel width, suddenly those tubes look HUGE. and I'm not sure if they are one pixel, or one subpixel! it looked to me like one tube would be red, the next green, the next blue, etc.

but maybe I totally misunderstood that part

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 269
That Plasma would be cool five years ago. Now we do not care anymore. What we want, what we expect, what we are waiting for, is a big fat Japanese OLED. THAT would be cool..
post #7 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Slim to none, but that just shows plasma hadn't reached its zenith at least in lab experiment form. Mass production challenges are also unknowns. The worldwide economic downturn seemed to drive a stake through the heart of scaling up efforts like these.

Hope not vinnie, market is growing worse all the time but there can still be victories, I still feel that plasma is pretty new technology with lots of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it's very cool, and I think it would have been a big deal 2-3yrs ago. maybe would have saved plasma...

but those glass tubes presumably can't be made much smaller, which means making small displays with them might not be possible, especially not at high resolutions. if each tub represents one pixel width, suddenly those tubes look HUGE. and I'm not sure if they are one pixel, or one subpixel! it looked to me like one tube would be red, the next green, the next blue, etc.

but maybe I totally misunderstood that part

Sub pixels are presumably 0.9mm x 0.9mm, motion resolution should still hold up and being emissive the glass cells should blend together quite nicely

http://www.shi-pla.jp/english/technology/

post #8 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Browsing around the company's website and a few others, the 145" display in the above video was from ~2009. So it was here roughly 5 years ago. The company is still at it having shown a newer generation of the tech in Vancouver last May. Doesn't look like the company is targeting CE at this point but more commercial/corporate customers.

Symmetry is the most boring and unimaginative form of balance.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Interesting video
post #10 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkojokinen View Post

This sounds really cool, the glass tube panels are stackable and somehow you can roll each portion up without damaging them eek.gif
I don't know whether its out of the concept stage but what is the likelihood a major manufacturer will pick up and run with this technology?

Essentially zero chance is correct. The display industry is littered with decades of cool technology demonstrations. Many of them.

It has seen essentially three flat-panel products ever reach market, two of which have attained commercial success to date, one of those is basically dead. The third is now a legitimate "up and comer."

The idea that someone will invest the billions needed to make an entirely new thing into a new type of display has been a fantasy in the industry for many, many years.

It led to nearly a billion dollars being invested in Candescent back when investing a billion dollars was a big deal. It led to Toshiba's folly with SED and many other FED-filled fantasies.

This will, sadly, go almost nowhere.

They appear to have some limited digital signage business, but even there it seems probable the advent of flexible OLEDs will harm that business going forward very soon.

Essentially, they need a volume product soon or else they'll get crushed on economics.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #11 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:

Hope not vinnie, market is growing worse all the time but there can still be victories, I still feel that plasma is pretty new technology with lots of potential.

Sub pixels are presumably 0.9mm x 0.9mm, motion resolution should still hold up and being emissive the glass cells should blend together quite nicely

http://www.shi-pla.jp/english/technology/

but isn't a ,9mm subpixel HUGE. this could solve the problem of making plasmas over 65", but they might 'need' to be 80" plus. I was assuming that 145" display was the smallest you could get 1080p resolution with those .9mm tubes.

anyway, point is, I feel like there's some other obstacles that need to be addressed before it will really compete with 4k lcd's to the masses.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are probably right, its very niche. I was getting too excited at a double sided plasma, a toilet door plasma and so on

post #13 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

This sounds really cool, the glass tube panels are stackable and somehow you can roll each portion up without damaging them :eek:

Unfortunately, there is no clean room to maximize the resolution, and most of the products are low resolution. I don't know if a clean would even make a difference anyway. This tech is also 5 years old. I don't know yet.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20

I have my doubts that OLED displays are even analog like plasma tubes. OLED is organic, which not durable. Plasma is definitely the king of big.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

but isn't a ,9mm subpixel HUGE.

Yes.
Quote:
this could solve the problem of making plasmas over 65",

From a weight perspective? And maybe power?
Quote:
but they might 'need' to be 80" plus. I was assuming that 145" display was the smallest you could get 1080p resolution with those .9mm tubes.
I don't have a clue how they do pixel addressing. I also don't think the pixels are .9mm wide.. that was a display thickness thing.

The tubes are stacked on the vertical edge of the display (in the demo to allow roll up). To have 1080 pixels you need 3240 tubes. That many millimeters would be 114 inches of height. I doubt the tubes are that wide.
Quote:
anyway, point is, I feel like there's some other obstacles that need to be addressed before it will really compete with 4k lcd's to the masses.

I feel like this is a pipe dream. Or a tube dream.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page