Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
How could you tell?
looking at the owners manual that CP posted the back of the tv is a different shape where the ports are on the ec9300 its just square, but on the 77" it was an L shape, could be a possible give away even thought the 65" wasnt in the manual and it just looks a bit small to be a 65"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3034 Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post
They run off of coal produced power( ~80 % of US power today is coal produced ).
That isnt close to correct. Coal is at 39% and NG is at 27% with the rest nuclear and renewables.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3
post #363 of 3034 Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
That isnt close to correct. Coal is at 39% and NG is at 27% with the rest nuclear and renewables.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3
That is a average for the entire country for the entire year in normal weather condition. Which today do not take into account the current historic drought in California. So depending on time of year, weather conditions with water being limited today in some regions limits the availability for renewables like hydro. Also when Nuke plants are down for work that power is made up by other options, usually by load shifting to available production that is today mostly coal.....

And where you are and the current weather patterns can change that number drastically increasing the need for coal to be a larger % of what power is produced. With the drought in the south west power production has been shifted far more than has been admitted to areas that still rely on coal produced power.

And recent data is showing the well leak rate for natural gas approaches 30 % in places like Utah where it is used to make power, make natural gas much dirtier than the burning of Coal. So even if natural gas in what is used until they get the well leak problem under control it is no cleaner than the coal they were using before....

That 80 % number was with all of those plants that were until recently most of time running on coal. Many of the plants in the 27 % claimed to be today using natural gas are part time NG or they were until very recently. Only using NG during higher pollution times of year.

VW,Audi, Porsch guy

Last edited by dieselrat; 08-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
post #364 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
looks like the 55ec9300. ive also noticed lg has removed it from their site.
Are they hoping folk might not have noticed there is a new one coming SOON?

Rather sad IMHO.
post #365 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
That is a average for the entire country for the entire year in normal weather condition. Which today do not take into account the current historic drought in California. So depending on time of year, weather conditions with water being limited today in some regions limits the availability for renewables like hydro. Also when Nuke plants are down for work that power is made up by other options, usually by load shifting to available production that is today mostly coal.....
That still isnt going to get you to 80%. There are plenty of stats available for US production (even by month) and none of them show coal use anywhere near 80%.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/month...cfm?t=epmt_1_1

Tesla might be selling the dirtiest car in the history of mankind but it isnt because 80% of our electricity generation is from coal.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #366 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
My point was it is a fools errand to claim any of the current electrics are clean or efficient compared of other technologies out there today.

And to your point, what fuel was burned to produce the energy needed to produce the speed you are breaking recovering some of that energy...Today that is coal....And if you are using solar panels and batteries, what was energy produced to allow the manufacture of them....Today that is coal....

Until that changes this tech of electric cars are a cool thing that is neither more efficient or cheaper than a small displacement gasoline or diesel powered auto with a manual trans. Until this changes have at it, buy your really expensive electric car but please lay off the non-sense claiming they are cleaner or more efficient!
Hardly. Since you've pushed this into the inflamatory, I'll just end this by stating you need a better understanding of the per-watt carbon footprint of variable sized engines/generators (power-plant vs. car engine, etc., they don't linearly scale), as well as how the energy used in the creation of solar panels is a one time expenditure for the life of the panel, among what seems like a myriad of other issues. What a weird morning this turned out to be.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.

Last edited by tgm1024; 08-06-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #367 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, absolutely no word of anything flat coming out since the ea8800?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #368 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I could have sworn there was mention of a 55" flat Oled on the way. Chris? Any info?

post #369 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
post #370 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
55EA8800 stands to be the only flat unit at this time.

What are your thoughts on this, Chris? Do you think LG has this figured out right or is their marketing department in serious need of an overhaul (at least as far as the US market)???
post #371 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
55EA8800 stands to be the only flat unit at this time.
And still no stand, right? Not even an optional one? That just makes no sense to me.
post #372 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
And still no stand, right? Not even an optional one? That just makes no sense to me.
If you can wall mount something, (and if it's a standard mount, like the VESA 400mm x 400mm configuration), you can always use a stand designed the same way.

Things like this are commonplace:
Vegas oled likes this.

post #373 of 3034 Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
The 55EA8800 comes with a wall mount and only weights 30 pounds Hang it with a piece of wire if need be........
post #374 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Looks like I'll be getting my 65" OLED the first week (ETA) of September

Just got confirmation from my dealer, and got the Canadian pricing which is better then the US pre-order when you factor in the exchange rate!

There is a limited supply in the first batch and it looks like Canada may receive the initial shipment. I'm so pumped. In about a month I should have my dream TV LG has been doing demos and shows aggressively in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada had more OLED sales volume then other regions. Canadian 4K adoption has also been higher then that of the US.

Anyone else gonna pre-order in Canada? and have you gotten pricing yet? My dealer says the first batch is tiny with more coming at the end of September and every month will have an increase as I assume the production of the 65" is still limited. He is already filling up on pre-order deal, but he knows to contact me first and I love getting pre-order specials.

I hope to be the first person in the world to own it Not sure how but my dealer constantly gets products before anyone else. I was the first owner of a production JVC X70 in the world (not just north america, but the actual world), and was going to get the very first Sony 500es in the world as well, but had to back out and the lucky guy after me ended up getting it. I'm not exaggerating or bragging either, just excited to hopefully get it first.
fafrd, Desk., vaktmestern and 4 others like this.
post #375 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 614
You lucky SOB! You'll have to start the Official Owners thread with some photos when you take delivery of this thing!!
post #376 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Just got confirmation from my dealer, and got the Canadian pricing which is better then the US pre-order when you factor in the exchange rate!

There is a limited supply in the first batch and it looks like Canada may receive the initial shipment. I'm so pumped. In about a month I should have my dream TV LG has been doing demos and shows aggressively in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada had more OLED sales volume then other regions. Canadian 4K adoption has also been higher then that of the US.

Anyone else gonna pre-order in Canada? and have you gotten pricing yet? My dealer says the first batch is tiny with more coming at the end of September and every month will have an increase as I assume the production of the 65" is still limited. He is already filling up on pre-order deal, but he knows to contact me first and I love getting pre-order specials.

I hope to be the first person in the world to own it Not sure how but my dealer constantly gets products before anyone else. I was the first owner of a production JVC X70 in the world (not just north america, but the actual world), and was going to get the very first Sony 500es in the world as well, but had to back out and the lucky guy after me ended up getting it. I'm not exaggerating or bragging either, just excited to hopefully get it first.

If you know where to look, you can find a pre-order price of $6250 'down' here - did you get it for much better than that?

We'll all be eagerly awaiting what you have to report!
post #377 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If you know where to look, you can find a pre-order price of $6250 'down' here - did you get it for much better than that?

We'll all be eagerly awaiting what you have to report!
After exchange rate 0.92 it's cheaper then 6250. Not sure if we can give out price on the main forum but it equals less the 6100 after exchange, and very close to 6000 USD.

I think LG is spot on with the pricing, even though of course I wish it was cheaper! but at these prices for the "launch" I'm amazed how "cheap" it is. If LG aggressively prices these, after the M2 line is up to full capacity, I can EASILY see 65" OLED being around 3500 - 4000 by mid to late next year.

The "High" end LCD is pretty much dead next year, and it's gonna be dirt cheap 4K Edge lit (don't understand how people can live with it), or OLED.

The great thing about OLED, is that the quality, thinness, colours, black levels, etc can be noticed by even the average joe in a store setting, while Plasma always looked inferior in store settings. It didn't have enough brightness to compete with LCD, and it's blacks actually looked more grey under store lighting, and it was only very knowledgeable folks who knew how superior plasma was going to look at home when compared to LCD. LG HAS to start marketing these sets. People have to know why they should buy an OLED and not a walmart LCD.
ONDr and Vegas oled like this.
post #378 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are early adopters, but you seem to be an EEA. Yikes. Congratulations!

I look forward to your assessment on motion handling, including both the motion resolution and your 1-10 assessment on how it rates to the other displays.

post #379 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I for one will live vicariously through you for a few months before pulling the trigger. It's an exciting time for all of us.
post #380 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Congrats will follow ur hands on with it.
post #381 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Still not a official price here but thats what i hoping will be out at/after ifa 2014
post #382 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
This makes no sense on LG's part as many do not like the curve. I am neutral but respect those opinions that do not like a curved tv.
post #383 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
This makes no sense on LG's part as many do not like the curve. I am neutral but respect those opinions that do not like a curved tv.
makes no sense to me either
only con i have against the curve is that it makes 55 look smaller than a flat 55

65 will be more like a 62, 77 will be more like a 73
post #384 of 3034 Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am very happy for you, you are a solid member of this forum who keeps your post positive and informative. Myself and others can learn a lot from the members of the forum like you.
post #385 of 3034 Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
makes no sense to me either
only con i have against the curve is that it makes 55 look smaller than a flat 55

65 will be more like a 62, 77 will be more like a 73
(?) When you're actually watching, it should optically be the other way around as long as you're sitting in front of center of the circle represented by that arc, and unless your living room is 32 to 60 feet long, you are.

post #386 of 3034 Old 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
You lucky SOB! You'll have to start the Official Owners thread with some photos when you take delivery of this thing!!
A pre-order is a pre-order, and a promise date can be broken, that is why we take no cash on pre-orders.

We will see who gets one first
post #387 of 3034 Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

So, who's your dealer? I can see Gibby's and NCIX, both at 10K.

Sales guy at bestbuy was quoting me $7K for 55EC9300 while it is available for pre-order 2 hours drive south for $3.5K. I just walked away.
post #388 of 3034 Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
(?) When you're actually watching, it should optically be the other way around as long as you're sitting in front of center of the circle represented by that arc, and unless your living room is 32 to 60 feet long, you are.
sitting next to each other, off, the flat looked larger
i cant say i was sitting center in front of either of them while comparing pq, as i had one setup on one wall of the room and the other on another wall
even my wife said, "did you get a smaller tv?"
post #389 of 3034 Old 08-08-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
sitting next to each other, off, the flat looked larger
i cant say i was sitting center in front of either of them while comparing pq, as i had one setup on one wall of the room and the other on another wall
even my wife said, "did you get a smaller tv?"
It is getting strange, a few years back 55" seemed massive. With the quality of displays 65" is the new 55", the 65B was nice size wise that's for sure. With 4k It really is the bigger the better.
post #390 of 3034 Old 08-09-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

65" looks more right now. If u wall hang a tv a 55" looks like a stamp
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - 65EC9700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page