Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
My grandfather used to own a commercial cinema. From what see personally, the curved screen in cinema helps with focusing on the edges (when anamorphic lens is used) and to even out the brightness uniformity from edge to edge.

This is way back when cinemas had balconies and can fit gabajillion people at once.
And today it's very hard to find curved screens in movie theaters anymore and I don't think many people miss them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Folks, avoid 4K at your own peril. By the way, I can't wait to see what 4K 4:2:0 looks like when down sampled to 2K 4:4:4, if hardware is readily available for it, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. Might make our 2K's look like 3K's. (lol)...
One of the questions the owners of 4K cameras are often asked is 'Why 4K when I don't have a 4K display?'. The answer is simple and related to your comment above. Taking an original 4K piece of footage and down-sampling it to 2K, results in a far better HD image which is partly the result of the increased color sampling that occurs in the down sampled video.

Put simply, it is highly unlikely that any consumer will buy an HD camcorder that will produce nearly as good results as a 4K camcorder down rez'd to 2K. Additionally, that 4K original footage can be archived for the time that the buyer actually does have a UHD TV. At that point it becomes a real piece of eye candy.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1399228517

Plenty of information provided so that people can make up their own minds. I read nothing that would convince me that I should want to own a curved panel at any size. The slight advantages they provide under limited conditions, would not compensate for the cumbersome depth problems they will cause at the larger sizes.

I'd say curved TV's will do astounding well in the future. The quite distant future actually, when human beings evolve with an extra set of eyes at the sides of our craniums...
Old 07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I should never have used the word uncontroversial, particularly in the AVS forum.

And I am not anti 4K at all. It will be great with larger OLED screens.

According to this article by Carlton Bale you'd have to sit three and a half feet away from a 55 inch set to see an improvement with 4K, and five and a half feet from an 84 inch set. This assumes 20/20 vision.

He's basing his calculations on the work of Bernard Lechner of RCA Laboratories.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

I saw the 65" 4K from 7-9 feet away.

And anyway, non-controversial is probably the correct word.
All that chart ever did was confuse the crap out of people, and it in no way matches what I saw in person.
David Susilo and Masterbrew2 like this.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
And today it's very hard to find curved screens in movie theaters anymore and I don't think many people miss them.

Out here the "super-premium" theatres still use them. But then, the screen is also 30' x 70'. At that extreme size, it actually makes some sense to bend the screen some. It really is a rather impressive experience, but I've been to plenty of movies on the flat screens and enjoyed them just as much even though they were on screens only 1/2 - 2/3 the size and not curved.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
All that chart ever did was confuse the crap out of people, and it in no way matches what I saw in person.
That's one point of view. But it does match what I saw.

And I don't see how the chart is confusing at all. You may not agree with the concepts, observations or facts upon which it was based, but it is hardly confusing.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-03-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Out here the "super-premium" auditoriums still have curved screens. Of course, those screens are also 30' x 70'. At that size, it makes sense to have a bit of a curve to the screen. It really is quite impressive. On the other hand, I've seen tons of movies one auditorium over on a completely flat screen that was only about 2/3 the size and it looked amazing. It seems no one around here is really bothered by the lack of curve, that's for sure.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
There is that, as well as allowing the correction of the phenomenon that images projected conventionally on a flat screen will, for optical reasons, appear distorted and larger at the edges than at the center. A curved screen does permit correction for this.

But there are often many reasons and benefits for any idea or technology, and enhancing the sense of immersion by increasing peripheral information with a curved screen was clearly the intent behind Cinerama and other similar widescreen systems.,
Unfortunately, without ever seeing the benefits of curved screen, today's viewers don't know what they're missing.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, without ever seeing the benefits of curved screen, today's viewers don't know what they're missing.
That is so true. Recently they revived some Cinerama films, and Los Angeles is lucky enough to have prserved its curved screen (thank you preservationists) in the Cinerama Dome.

It's possible to feel more immersed with the peripheral information presented than with 3D.

But not on a 50-65 inch TV.
David Susilo likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Its mostly bonk
Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

"no video with supported format and MIME type found"

(?)

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"no video with supported format and MIME type found"
(?)
Strange, this should work ....
Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Given what we've been discussing on this forum, the following article is incredibly interesting and relevant. It discusses the presumed merits of both curved screens and 4K, based on the reviewer living with a 65 inch set for a month.

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un78hu9000/2/

Last edited by taichi4; 07-05-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But to me the 2K vs 4K thing is readily apparent in 65" at any "normal" viewing distances, and at least in the 65X900A case, even on 2K->4K Upscale.
This flies against against extensive tests by renowned expert. So either your "normal" viewing distance is not generally recognized as normal or you have a guy named Bald Eagle in your genealogy .
Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This flies against against extensive tests by renowned expert. So either your "normal" viewing distance is not generally recognized as normal or you have a guy named Bald Eagle in your genealogy .
See the post preceding yours.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Placebo is a wonderful thing. It's 4K therefore it must be better. Who cares about the charts.

In all seriousness, when you compare 4K and 2K TVs you're typically comparing panels that differ in other ways beyond just resolution. So it's never a valid comparison.

One would need to take the 4K TV and dynamically cut its resolution to 2K via pixel doubling and see if you notice the difference from typical seating distance. All the other settings would have to stay the same. Even that test has some margin for error since you're getting some extra inter-pixel spacing that would not be there on a 2K TV.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Not this again... A bunch of people who never tried 4K display properly make a comment about 4K. This is EXACTLY the same reaction when HD was first introduced nearly two decades ago. Thsi is EXACTLY the same reaction given by many LaserDisc owners when DVD was introduced about 15 years ago.

my home theatre

Old 07-05-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

David:

I've long appreciated your valuable, and knowledgeable input on this forum. That being said, the posted article was written by someone with real experience with displays, who lived with the 65 inch set for a month.

And in response to the previous poster, the writer did appreciate the excellent contrast, blacks, etc. of the Samsung, while at the same time commenting on what he felt were the other possible differences between 2K and 4K sets.

And lastly, I could see the difference between Laserdisc and DVD, immediately.

I'm looking forward to 4K, and will purchase when affordable, larger emissive display options become available.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
DOES THE WORLD NEED CURVED TVS? .
yes

what we don't need is 3d until they can do it without us wearing glasses

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
David:

I've long appreciated your valuable, and knowledgeable input on this forum. That being said, the posted article was written by someone with real experience with displays, who lived with the 65 inch set for a month.

And in response to the previous poster, the writer did appreciate the excellent contrast, blacks, etc. of the Samsung, while at the same time commenting on what he felt were the other possible differences between 2K and 4K sets.

And lastly, I could see the difference between Laserdisc and DVD, immediately.

I'm looking forward to 4K, and will purchase when affordable, larger emissive display options become available.
Taichi4, thank you for the time to explain your view. However, although I do agree with virtually everything you mentioned, I find that resolution chart to be wrong and this is have also been confirmed by two of my clients. One is an optometrist and another is an opthalmology professor.

As my stance in purchasing 4K technology in general, quite honestly I'm rather disappointed. I'd rather the studios come out with HD markII (so to speak) with 16-bit, 4:4:4 colours as opposed to yet another 8 bit solution.

my home theatre

Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Taichi4, thank you for the time to explain your view. However, although I do agree with virtually everything you mentioned, I find that resolution chart to be wrong and this is have also been confirmed by two of my clients. One is an optometrist and another is an opthalmology professor.

As my stance in purchasing 4K technology in general, quite honestly I'm rather disappointed. I'd rather the studios come out with HD markII (so to speak) with 16-bit, 4:4:4 colours as opposed to yet another 8 bit solution.
Hey, David.

When you have a chance, perhaps you could share what the two gentleman think about the resolution charts. I'm always eager for more information.

Did you read the posted article?

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Curved TVS are dumb. But as long as there is AVS there will be the sales force here trying to sell whatever the industry is producing.

110-inch Flat 4K OLED...now that makes sense...how many years til the Chinese can produce that for 3K?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post
Curved TVS are dumb. But as long as there is AVS there will be the sales force here trying to sell whatever the industry is producing.

110-inch Flat 4K OLED...now that makes sense...how many years til the Chinese can produce that for 3K?
Lord, I hope you meant $3000 and not 2880x1620 :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, that article makes sense, though I doubt Apple will adopt it for the 6.

I still think though that a great deal of the allure that some have for this has to do with it being different. We're conditioned to become bored for evolutionary reasons, and when I sat in front of a curved Samsung tv for a while I did notice the "this is soothing because it's different" effect (to completely fabricate a term).
Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a well-established fact that a neuroscientist will say anything for a nice dinner and a 2008 Merlot.

Putting that aside for a moment, the article takes a narrow, myopic point of view. It may be true that curved objects make us happy, but they may simultaneously produce difficulty or frustration in certain contexts.
A curved tablet might make me happy, but it will not be as easy to carry around as a flat one, and I wouldn't like to try handwriting on it with a stylus.

A rose might make my girlfriend happy, but it won't substitute for a good breakfast.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-06-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's a well-established fact that a neuroscientist will say anything for a nice dinner and a 2008 Merlot.

Putting that aside for a moment, the article takes a narrow, myopic point of view. It may be true that curved objects make us happy, but they may simultaneously produce difficulty or frustration in certain contexts.
A curved tablet might make me happy, but it will not be as easy to carry around as a flat one, and I wouldn't like to try handwriting on it with a stylus.

A rose might make my girlfriend happy, but it won't substitute for a good breakfast.
???

Sure, and a curved tv might make you happy until you drop one on your foot. So what?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It's incredible to see someone writing something like this. You should think twice before you do it.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
It's incredible to see someone writing something like this. You should think twice before you do it.
No. What's incredible is that someone would take a comment written in jest as a serious critique.

If I was serious I wouldn't have made a joke about it. I would have seriously criticized "scientists" for hire. I did not.

I do not believe anyone would sell out for a 2008 Merlot.

The very use of the expression "it's a well established fact" is obviously not meant seriously as it's an impossible, unprovable, and intentionally ludicrous statement.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-06-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
No. What's incredible is that someone would take a comment written in jest as a serious critique.

If I was serious I wouldn't have made a joke about it. I would have seriously criticized "scientists" for hire. I did not.
I understood it as a serious critique. Sorry.