Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 243 Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 188
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1399228517

Plenty of information provided so that people can make up their own minds. I read nothing that would convince me that I should want to own a curved panel at any size. The slight advantages they provide under limited conditions, would not compensate for the cumbersome depth problems they will cause at the larger sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 243 Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 254
No.
post #3 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I think that OLED might die and then you'll have curved LCD!

How much more can displays suck?
post #4 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Instead of coming up with gimmicks, why don't the manufacturers go FALD and license the moth eye technology?

Alas, they're catering to the general public that doesn't know or care about picture quality.
post #5 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

How much more can displays suck?
Don't worry, all the companies are hard at work in their underground lairs working on the next new technology to further degrade image quality. The bottom has not yet been reached!
herpderp likes this.
post #6 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone besides me finally tells the truth!

I think they're working on curved LCD that is curved up and down and has a toliet paper roll behind it! They think it will sell because the twitter zero attention span people MIGHT watch such a monstrosity while they're on the toilet!
David Susilo and vinnie97 like this.
post #7 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
And yet....in talking about how much displays suck because the average consumer thinks an edge lit Samsung on Vivid mode has better pq than a calibrated Kuro does, you've just condemned the television that actually DOESNT have sh*t pq, based on hating a very subtle tweak to a formula you're used to, to which most who've spent a decent amount of time watching agree is a non issue.
David Susilo, vinnie97 and HLdan like this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #8 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Don't worry, all the companies are hard at work in their underground lairs working on the next new technology to further degrade image quality. The bottom has not yet been reached!

Rumor: At CES, they are launching displays with Saran wrap coatings on the front, wrinkles included.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #9 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Rumor: At CES, they are launching displays with Saran wrap coatings on the front, wrinkles included.

Yeah but the edge light goes so high on that model its been scientifically proven to cause eye damage so obviously it's going to rock.

...haha. silly random threads.

post #10 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not a non issue that curved screens suck--it's a fact!

It's not a non issue that LCD will always not cut it when viewed at an angle--it is a fact.

It is not even a given that the average Joe six packs thinks that LED on vivid is great picture quality--there are undoubtedly many Joe six packs who might think this but equally true is not what they want or don't want--it is what the display industry thinks it can get them to buy!

IF the display industry can get them to buy garbage by ONLY offering them garbage then YES they will sell them garbage!

I don't believe that audio can be sold for zillions of dollars and that video can't be sold for over 4,000 dollars--don't tell me that people will only pay for what they hear but won't pay for what they can see--who believes that?!

Who do I blame for displays that suck? The display Industry for promoting displays that suck and not promoting displays that are superior. I also blame people that do know which displays suck and which ones don't that frequent sites such as this one and do not stand up for superior displays.

Look at it this way--at any car enthusiast forum or magazine you don't hear people waxing poetic over cars that are inferior without performance and supporting cars that are inferior with less performance because many people buy them! Why is it that you see so much of that here?

DO you think that people who buy Ferraris would like to buy displays better than edge lit crap?

But around here it is always argued that a premium video display niche cannot exist. That is BULL! Of course it could exist--the video display market is easy to FIX! The display manufacturers want it to be inferior and want there to not be a premium market--they want it that way if it means that they can make money selling garbage. And it is easy to SET the display market without premium alternatives because there aren't that many players involved.

Answer me this--are there more loudspeaker manufacturing companies or more panel display manufacturers? Which of those markets do you think would be more easy to FIX?

With the Japanese getting out and the Koreans down to just LG and Samsung and Samsung having problems with OLED and with the Chinese nowhere when it comes to display technology--=see how easy it is to FIX the market?

And what does Hollywood want? They want people to go to the movie theaters and for some to buy Blu-ray discs. How does Fantastic 4K OLED at home with either 4K discs at atmospheric prices or downloads at high prices benefit them, Well it doesn't!

They can make the most money if screens don't get too fantastic at picture quality to keep people out of the theaters--or too big screen sizes that will keep them out of theaters--and who knows maybe they can sell a few Blu-ray discs.

As far as Hollywood is concerned they like things the way they are. They want LCD to not get very big--to not get at as good a quality as plasma or OLED--see--stay crappy enough so that people will keep going to the theaters!

Face it--with Edge Lit LCD bought by the vast majority of TV buyers--TV picture quality has gone backwards! That's worth crying about but what is worse is all the people who are apologists for the display Industry that has brought us this fixed market of crap choices.

I'll tell you this--in 1974 at car enthusiast publications people bewailed the Mustang II and how the Mustang had gone down in performance--and yes they didn't care if a billion people bought them for fuel economy reasons.

But here we have so many people that APOLOGIZE for the display Industry that has pushed picture quality backwards.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion--I'll give you mine--anyone here who is not an enthusiast for better picture quality--I wish they weren't here. And if some people like that are here I wish it wasn't the majority that I think it is.

If I am wrong--I'm sure you out there will let me know about it.

Pray that we are not heading toward an LCD only world and if you're one of the lickers out there that truly do want an LCD only world populated with much edge lit LCD crap then have the guts to just come out and say it!

While you're at it defend CURVED garbage, too!
JustaSheep, mo949 and ChadThunder like this.
post #11 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy moley dude!! Relax!!

It's true that there isn't a huge market for high end displays but for what there is I'm the first in line and despite its "new tech" issues the freaking curved display has better pq than any tv you can mention except for maybe the one you can ALSO buy which is, you know, FLAT....So there's that.

It's not a "fact" in any way shape or form that a curved display is a horrible display because it's curved. I have no desire to back that up any further because I don't want to write as long a post as you, and the only reason you hate it so much is because you're furious at it. Please write another essay that contains an actual reason for your anger at a display which aims to reduce peripheral viewing and contour to your vision. Do you burn down all the imaxes across your country?

Ridiculous. Pq that rivals or surpasses every reference display by every very objective and respected reviewer out there and you're this pissed off because it has a 5% curve that takes nothing away and at its worst adds nothing either. I will bet you a hundred bucks you haven't watched a film on one.

Calm the hell down, dude. Every year each company usually puts out one decent display. 2013 was pretty much all junk because of the very unfluid transition to 4k but whatever hidden gem of televisions nobody talks about that you're referring to, they don't exist.
Randomoneh and tubby497 like this.

post #12 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Funny, I heard it was wrinkled wax paper. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
post #13 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny, I heard it was wrinkled wax paper.

I heard you have to assemble the tv yourself, but that it's easy as it's mainly just plastic and a few screws.

post #14 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

I heard you have to assemble the tv yourself, but that it's easy as it's mainly just plastic and a few screws.
Part of the curve your own panel plan?
post #15 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Part of the curve your own panel plan?

Yeah, it's actually really creative. You design your own curve and send in pics, they choose one winner. On my design the top left protrudes forward 39° while the top right bends back and is nailed to the motherboard. The center of the screen is completely warped for added immersion, while the stand is a long pink strand of velvet.

post #16 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:

2013 was pretty much all junk because of the very unfluid transition to 4k but whatever hidden gem of televisions nobody talks about that you're referring to, they don't exist
I beg to differ! Maybe in the LCD only apocalypse world, but the plasmas were not that junky (minus some questionable engineering decisions wink.gif).
post #17 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I beg to differ! Maybe in the LCD only apocalypse world, but the plasmas were not that junky (minus some questionable engineering decisions wink.gif).

Fair enough point, there were some excellent plasmas along with Panasonic's announcement that there will no longer be plasma so I suppose you could still call it a bad year for plasma too haha
vinnie97 likes this.

post #18 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't believe that audio can be sold for zillions of dollars and that video can't be sold for over 4,000 dollars--don't tell me that people will only pay for what they hear but won't pay for what they can see--who believes that?!
Just look at how many audio companies are merging or going out of business. And when the margins are so ridiculously high for audio products, it's not nearly so difficult for them to survive in their niche.
Speakers are a relatively low complexity product. You buy a woofer, midrange, and a tweeter from any of a number of companies, build an MDF box, stick a fancy veneer on it and you're done.
Dynamic drivers don't need to change much as there are so many options which are linear over a wide frequency range now. Audio has met the demands of human hearing (20Hz-20kHz) long ago, as far as tech is concerned.
Quote:

Who do I blame for displays that suck?
What was the last display that you bought? Did you buy a Kuro, or did you contribute to them being unable to make a profit?
Bought a high-end set like the Sharp Elite, Sony XBRs, the top-end Panasonic sets?

Or did you wait for the prices to drop and buy a $300 display like everyone else?
Have you even bought a flat panel?

If there is not a sustainable market for high-end products - and consumers have clearly proven this to be the case - how can you expect things to improve?
Quote:

DO you think that people who buy Ferraris would like to buy displays better than edge lit crap?
I'd bet that very few of them give a crap. And those that do, will buy boutique brands like Bang & Olufsen, because they are "the best." (i.e. most expensive, and out of reach for most)
post #19 of 243 Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah no, I actually dont think the guy who buys the Ferrari gives two craps either. He just buys the tv that costs the most and leaves it all in factory vivid mode like just about every person I know in real life, whether rich or poor.

Audio reaches a greater market because there are more types of media which require it but even then, you dont typically find people doing things properly, calibrating and whatnot. They buy expensive stuff, set it up all wrong and never tweak a thing.

At least in my life this is how everyone is with home video and audio. It's either walmart brand or the most expensive. Price denotes quality, and picture and audio quality to them is only as good as whatever it just so happens to be like out of the box, or what compressed garbage they see or hear at the store.

I love messing with friends' and families' tv's and speaker arrangements. Normally they act as though they never knew menus or options even existed. People buying home theater in a boxes, setting them to stereo mode because it sounds the loudest that way, and thinking they actually have surround sound.

Here's another one of my favorites: a guy buys a 3000 tv and leaves it in stretch mode the ENTIRE TIME. Can't tell you how many peoples houses I go to that never take their tv's off of stretch or zoom mode and think they're still watching 1080p. It makes me want to pick up every remote I see, even at the freaking barber shop; but I just keep my mouth shut, watch whatever wherever I am as is and wait for them to be blown away at my house.

This is the world, for the most part. You are interested in one of the most configurable purchases on the planet, and most people just dont care to, or know that you can, configure things. You don't need to configure your ferrarri, you just load it up with options and drive it off the lot.
Ftoast likes this.

post #20 of 243 Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The world doesn't need curved TVs. The world doesn't want curved TVs. The world gets curved TVs.

Maybe the world deserves curved TVs.

Grading on the curve you know...
post #21 of 243 Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:

Here's another one of my favorites: a guy buys a 3000 tv and leaves it in stretch mode the ENTIRE TIME. Can't tell you how many peoples houses I go to that never take their tv's off of stretch or zoom mode and think they're still watching 1080p. It makes me want to pick up every remote I see, even at the freaking barber shop; but I just keep my mouth shut, watch whatever wherever I am as is and wait for them to be blown away at my house.

Stretching a 4:3 image is a little nutty looking, but I've seen many commercial places do it----I think they were advised to do so.  Probably because the contractor who put it in doesn't want to deal with pillarbox complaints later.  If they're committed to F-ing with the image, they should do the zoom thing instead.  At least the aspect ratio will be right, even if they lose half a foot of info off the top and bottom.....  But then again, it's SD info they're losing....lol...

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #22 of 243 Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh but TGM I'm not just talking about people who stretch 4:3. I dislike that uncanny valley look too but if you're not into image quality then I can at least understand it; but I mean people who just leave stretch mode on ALL the time, 4:3 or not, because they never change anything. Or zooming in on letterboxed movies and losing 30% of the film then leaving it that way. Because I know of many.

post #23 of 243 Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:

Oh but TGM I'm not just talking about people who stretch 4:3. I dislike that uncanny valley look too but if you're not into image quality then I can at least understand it; but I mean people who just leave stretch mode on ALL the time, 4:3 or not, because they never change anything. Or zooming in on letterboxed movies and losing 30% of the film then leaving it that way. Because I know of many.

Well, there's a lot of folks who just don't know any better, that's for sure.  In the past I've seen people with expensive digital computer monitors driving them with .......HDMI?  No.  DVI?  No.  ...............................eek, S-Video? Nope.....................................oh no...............yes..............

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #24 of 243 Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol s-video, talk about an ancient video bond which didn't last.

I didn't mean to sound presumptuous either, It's just the ocd that acts up when I see those things and wonder how in the hell they don't notice something's amiss. I'm aware there is no real magnitude to any of this so in such situations I just shut up and watch.

Perfect example. My cousin had a get together last week which after a few beers ended up in a viewing of Braveheart to show off his giant new tv. It was on DVD driven by component to an 80" Sharp which he claimed was their top notch 2013 1080p. All the blacks were crushed to the point where black clothing meant a void of gray space. Flesh tones were pure green and blurred as faces moved due to a DNR setting undoubtably enabled on the set by default. There were rings around everyone's bodies. The skies clipped into the clouds on the contrast front and, at first it was stretched. I merely reminded him that he still had stretch mode on from whatever 4:3 cable broadcast he was watching prior to when we started the movie and he fixed it. I said nothing further. For audio he had two tower speakers hooked up to his DVD player set to mono and were positioned behind the couch. I said nothing about his cringeworthy setup the whole time, and we left complimenting him on the volume of his speakers and the brightness of his image.

Such is the quintessential example of why there is no high end market. End of rant.
herpderp likes this.

post #25 of 243 Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Stretching a 4:3 image is a little nutty looking, but I've seen many commercial places do it----I think they were advised to do so.  Probably because the contractor who put it in doesn't want to deal with pillarbox complaints later.  If they're committed to F-ing with the image, they should do the zoom thing instead.  At least the aspect ratio will be right, even if they lose half a foot of info off the top and bottom.....  But then again, it's SD info they're losing....lol...
I think I'd rather watch stretched video - especially if it's a non-linear stretch - than cropped video where parts of the image are missing. But of course I wouldn't watch anything like that.
Quote:

Perfect example. My cousin had a get together last week which after a few beers ended up in a viewing of Braveheart to show off his giant new tv. It was on DVD driven by component to an 80" Sharp which he claimed was their top notch 2013 1080p. All the blacks were crushed to the point where black clothing meant a void of gray space. Flesh tones were pure green and blurred as faces moved due to a DNR setting undoubtably enabled on the set by default. There were rings around everyone's bodies. The skies clipped into the clouds on the contrast front and, at first it was stretched. I merely reminded him that he still had stretch mode on from whatever 4:3 cable broadcast he was watching prior to when we started the movie and he fixed it. I said nothing further. For audio he had two tower speakers hooked up to his DVD player set to mono and were positioned behind the couch. I said nothing about his cringeworthy setup the whole time, and we left complimenting him on the volume of his speakers and the brightness of his image.

Such is the quintessential example of why there is no high end market. End of rant.
You didn't offer to at least sort out his video settings? While you won't be doing a full calibration, it only takes a minute to put most TVs into a relatively neutral state.
post #26 of 243 Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh believe me I wanted to so bad and knew I could so easily, but I fought the urge. There were a few of us all having a good time and he seemed to really like it that way so it wasn't the time as I would've looked like a snob. Next time I go over alone though I'm going to bring WOW, and change everything about his audio too. I mean it doesn't take being an audiophile to figure out that dialogue should not be coming from behind you, you'd think...

post #27 of 243 Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the line around here at AVS Forum about how many years curved TVs will last?

I say we'll go through 3 years of this lunacy.

If OLED can't go Flat by then it is all over.

Who can take it? Do we have to take it?
post #28 of 243 Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the line around here at AVS Forum about how many years curved TVs will last?
I say we'll go through 3 years of this lunacy.
If OLED can't go Flat by then it is all over.
Who can take it? Do we have to take it?
There have been flat OLEDs on sale for quite some time now.
post #29 of 243 Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HT OLEDs?
post #30 of 243 Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 705
In response to the question posed in the title to the thread, the answer is a resounding 'YES' (at least according to the experts at the Society of Information Displays): http://www.abc27.com/story/25678957/sid-applauds-winners-of-the-prestigious-2014-display-industry-awards-the-elite-the-best-of-the-best

"Silver Award Winner: LG Display's 55-in. FHD Curved OLED TV Panel

LG's 55-in. FHD curved OLED TV panel offers exceptionally vibrant imagery in a curved format that offers viewers a comfortably immersive environment. LG's curved OLED TV was introduced last year, and uses the company's WRGB OLED technology with an oxide TFT backplane, the company's technical solution of choice for large-sized OLED panels. The panel is slim – only 4 mm thick with side bezel widths of 11 mm. At 19.2 pounds, the TV is also substantially lighter than competitive products. At the same time, it offers superior picture quality, achieving remarkably rich and natural colors. In addition to the vivid and enhanced picture-quality experience, the curved structure of the new OLED TV panel offers viewing comfort. The curvature mimics a human's normal line of vision, which makes it more eye friendly and allows viewers to feel less fatigue even when watching the screen, while also allowing for a wider and brighter field of view."

I remember how much fatigue I used to feet when watching my old Sony tube TV, I just never understood that that fatigue was caused by a viewing surface that was so different than my 'normal line of vision' biggrin.gif

We really have to be thankful to Samsung and LG for having the foresight to develop screens that are more 'comfortable' to watch...
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page