AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
It suggests OLED is not emissive.

I wish OLED worked the way it says on paper. It would be a plasma successor rather than a fancy LCD.

Samsung shot down OLED faster than they did Plasma. I wonder why. And I prefer to discuss display tech with someone who know the difference between a millisecond and a microsecond.
How does the explanation of liquid crystals suggest OLED is not emissive? That is not just an unexplained logical leap, it is a bungee jump into the valley of unreason. OLED was not even mentioned in the discussion of liquid crystal.

The reason (as I've already explained) that Samsung dropped OLED had to do with the fact that Samsung's RGB design was much more difficult to fabricate as a panel than LG's, and if they can't have a high economical yield, and experience high defects, they won't do it.

Moreover Samsung's design had no solution for the rapid aging of the blue subpixel. What that means is that the panel's life is shortened due to color shifting. LG's WOLED compensates for that. Compared to fabricating OLEDs, building plasmas was much easier. Samsung (like other plasma makers) had an incentive to make them for economic reasons. Now they don't.

A microsecond is one millionth of a second.
A millisecond is one thousandth of a second.

Therefore there are one thousand microseconds in a millisecond. A microsecond is a smaller unit than a millisecond.

OLED response is measured in double digit microseconds.

The best plasmas are measured somewhere around one millisecond.

I would prefer discussing displays with someone who is at least trying to read the information given accurately, and respond reasonably. Forums are for discussion, and the pursuit of knowledge. Not a Punch and Judy show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi
OLED response is measured in double digit microseconds.
100 microseconds if that is the correct measure. I say it is probably a 1 millisecond refresh frate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi
The best plasmas are measured somewhere around one millisecond.
You are confusing it with audio-video lagtime. The measure of refresh rate response time of Plasma video is in single digit microseconds. Actually, the closest thing I can find on Plasma is a response time of 0.01 ms or 10 microseconds.

Last edited by Weboh; 06-26-2014 at 09:28 AM.
post #93 of 97 Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
100 microseconds if that is the correct measure. I say it is probably a 1 millisecond refresh frate.
You are confusing it with audio-video lagtime. The measure of refresh rate response time of Plasma video is in single digit microseconds. Actually, the closest thing I can find on Plasma is a response time of 0.01 ms or 10 microseconds.
Give your sources, particularly as to the incredible plasma response you have posted.

And cite a single authoritative source for your claim that OLEDs are a variant of LCDs, or use backlighting of any sort.

And refresh rate and response time are two different things. A refresh rate may be very high, but the ability of a pixel element to change state may be slow, or vice versa.

Lag time isn't being discussed presently. Why are you bringing that up?

At least you haven't thrown in the kitchen sink......yet.

Last edited by taichi4; 06-26-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #94 of 97 Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Give your sources.

And refresh rate and response time are two different things. There is no such thing as " refresh rate response time". A refresh rate may be very high, but the ability of a pixel element to change state may be slow.

Not sure why people keep engaging him. You are only going to go in circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #95 of 97 Old 06-26-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Not sure why people keep engaging him. You are only going to go in circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're probably right. The impulse is to create a small opening of light, but it's a bit like having a gambling bug. You think the nest time you're going to win.

And I do get to come up with imaginative similes.
post #96 of 97 Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM

You seem to be confusing the lag time with the response time. LCDs have a slow response time, but a plasma monitor will have microsecond response times. Technical documentation may be your best source. I am surprised the info is not readily available.

Last edited by Weboh; 06-26-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #97 of 97 Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3225432AAnjvok

This is a non-technical link which I think is correct, but I find 1 microsecond an imprecise approximation. I remember reading something for one which had a response time of 6 microseconds.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - HU8550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page