Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #91 of 98 Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 168
If this turns out to be true and confirmed, this place is going to blow up with happiness by all Videophiles. 4k OLED is the only worthy upgrade for me @ this point.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
You are missing my point. But will the Chinese put in electronics better than the Japanese to drive this technology. Highly unlikely.

I can't be bothered with display companies happy to be meat and potatoes.

LG when this OLED all takes off (when and if it does) will once more be known as the middle of the road amongst the electronic giants names in the world of videophiles.

Come on Sony - bring us one day Crystal LED. And for goodness sake - keep it to yourselves
I'm not missing your point at all. You keep trying to make this about pride: which it's not. This is business. Specifically, this is economy of scale.

Let's say panasonic decided to buy and then makes the best OLED TV set on the market-- how does this hurt the company (the only company) that is selling them the panels they use to make their awesome tv again?

Let me put it this way, do you think Toyota cares that the Camry loses to the Mazda 6 in every enthusiast mag midsize comparo they get put in?
post #93 of 98 Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I'm not missing your point at all. You keep trying to make this about pride: which it's not. This is business. Specifically, this is economy of scale.

Let's say panasonic decided to buy and then makes the best OLED TV set on the market-- how does this hurt the company (the only company) that is selling them the panels they use to make their awesome tv again?

Let me put it this way, do you think Toyota cares that the Camry loses to the Mazda 6 in every enthusiast mag midsize comparo they get put in?
It's about keeping something exclusively high end for your own label. Something that's sets you apart and is world renowned. If LG could somehow punt out their own oled panels to other electronic manufacturers - but keep say the most technological advanced (newest) panel for themselves and use it on their own flagship model with an LG logo on the bezel then they will actually have - something that sets them apart from the rest. And people (consumers if marketed well enough) will go to that model - regardless of what Panasonic or Samsung are doing if it is high end they seek.

All the other manufacturers will of course then be playing catch up.

It's not like LG are on the brink of collapse is it.

Pioneer when they sunk - the captain went down with the KURO ship, and the Kuro tech was never fully implemented in another plasma again because it was financially unfeasible.
post #94 of 98 Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
It's about keeping something exclusively high end for your own label. Something that's sets you apart and is world renowned. If LG could somehow punt out their own oled panels to other electronic manufacturers - but keep say the most technological advanced (newest) panel for themselves and use it on their own flagship model with an LG logo on the bezel then they will actually have - something that sets them apart from the rest. And people (consumers if marketed well enough) will go to that model - regardless of what Panasonic or Samsung are doing if it is high end they seek.

All the other manufacturers will of course then be playing catch up.

It's not like LG are on the brink of collapse is it.

Pioneer when they sunk - the captain went down with the KURO ship, and the Kuro tech was never fully implemented in another plasma again because it was financially unfeasible.
I understand everything you're saying. Here's what I'm saying: it doesn't work that way. The Pioneer Kuro is a fantastic example of how low volume, high cost panels are just not feasible in the market especially given the current global economy. OLED will fail if LG can't bring the cost of production (and by extension the retail price) down dramatically from where it is. LG has no interest in being a boutique manufacturer selling TVs at a loss. If they can get Panasonic to buy and Panasonic can help make a market for OLED panels then that is a win for LG. And remember: LG Display is the only manufacturer of large screen OLED at the current time.
fafrd and dsinger like this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #95 of 98 Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I think that LG would rather be the panel supplier than deal with the actual TV side of things - you know, firmware/sw smart feature, cms, etc. Like I've been predicting for the last year, they want to be the 'apple' panel.
post #96 of 98 Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I think that LG would rather be the panel supplier than deal with the actual TV side of things - you know, firmware/sw smart feature, cms, etc. Like I've been predicting for the last year, they want to be the 'apple' panel.
The company that would be supplying the OLED Panels is LG Display Company, and it is completely separate from LG Electronics. LG Display Co provides LCD and OLED panels directly to the various TV makers and doesn't get involved in actual TV manufacturing or retail sales. They've been suppling LCD panels to several TV makers for about a decade now. They need to be able to sell OEM OLED panels to LG's competitors as well if they want OLED to go anywhere. Selling them just to LG surely wouldn't provide enough volume to sustain the tech.

I'm skeptical that Panasonic will bring an OLED TV to market since they have proven that they are no longer really interest in the retail/consumer TV market. Their President is not a "TV guy" and a few years ago he publicly stated that he couldn't tell the difference between his Plasma and his LCD TV at his own home.

------------------
mo949 and ChadThunder like this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #97 of 98 Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Panasonic is "finished" with consumer electronics, expect them to announce a full scaling back or complete exit in october. In plasma they had the strongest technology portfolio from 2001-2013 and still gave up market share every year so how do you figure they are going to stage a comeback by rebadging some OLED panels? it is a complete fantasy.
post #98 of 98 Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
Panasonic is "finished" with consumer electronics, expect them to announce a full scaling back or complete exit in october. In plasma they had the strongest technology portfolio from 2001-2013 and still gave up market share every year so how do you figure they are going to stage a comeback by rebadging some OLED panels? it is a complete fantasy.

Does this mean you don't expect the AX900 ever to materialize?

Is this your own speculation or is here some source for this information?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page