32Likes

post #1 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 979
LG in Talks to Supply OLED Panels to Panasonic

LG is reportedly in talks with Panasonic to supply large OLED panels to the Japanese giant, possibly leading to price reductions as manufacturing volume increases.

I'm normally loath to report rumors, but this one is just too good to pass up. According to the Bloomberg business-news site, LG Display—an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) panel maker in which LG Electronics owns a 38% share—is in discussions with Panasonic to supply OLED panels larger than 55 inches to the ex-plasma king. Unfortunately, no one at either company went on record officially because the talks are private, though a spokesperson for Panasonic in Japan said the company is considering options for its OLED business and nothing has been decided.

In its response to this report, British TV-review site HDTVtest made some interesting points—for example, if such a deal were to be struck, it could lead to lower OLED TV prices as LG Display increases manufacturing volume and experiences the subsequent economies of scale. Of course, OLED TV sales have been meager to say the least, primarily because of astronomical prices, so this might be a huge boon to the entire OLED market.

HDTVtest also speculates that the OLED panels supplied by LG Display to Panasonic will be UHD, since LG Display doesn't make 1080p OLED panels larger than 55 inches. In addition, Panasonic has stated that it believes OLED TVs should be UHD/4K, so this could be a match made in heaven.

Another interesting tidbit from the HDTVtest piece is that LG has been selling its OLED panels to some of the Chinese manufacturers, which have virtually no market presence outside their home country. However, if CES last January is any indication, that could soon change as companies such as TCL and Hisense make their way into the world market—for example, I don't think TCL would have paid for naming rights to the world-famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood, CA, if it wasn't planning to boost its presence in the US. And I'm fairly confident that the Chinese brands will likely be less expensive than those from Korea or Japan.

One question that comes to mind is, will the Panasonic OLEDs sourced from LG Display be flat or curved? It seems that only the Korean manufacturers are obsessed with curved screens, but LG Display is a Korean OEM owned in large part by LG Electronics, so perhaps it's focused on curved screens as well. If this deal goes through, I can only hope that Panasonic insists on flat screens.

This could be very good news for all flat-panel videophiles, especially since Samsung and Sony seem to have backed away from OLED as we reported here and here—rumors again, I know, but anything related to OLED is of great importance to AVS. In any event, we will be keeping a close eye on any further developments in this and other OLED news.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 06-16-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 65
For once maybe good news for us who's has been patiently awaiting OLED to finally take off since the late 90's.
Artwood and DRaven72 like this.
post #3 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I would love for this to be true. I would imagine they are reluctant to jump on OLED until it is proven with sales. They don't want to be in the same boat as they were with Plasma's. Yes we love them, but the general public did not.
post #4 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 135
My next upgrade 4k oled
ATC7, DRaven72 and dnoonie like this.
post #5 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I would love for this to be true. I would imagine they are reluctant to jump on OLED until it is proven with sales. They don't want to be in the same boat as they were with Plasma's. Yes we love them, but the general public did not.
I have been convinced since Panasonic announced the end of plasma that this was exactly what they had in mind. Considering that Panasonic and Sony's colaberation ended suddenly Sony will follow Panasonic's venture. Don't overlook Vizio hiding in the weeds either.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #6 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The OLED panels are flat when manufactured. They have to be curved to be integrated into the set. Hence, there is no reason that a flat screen can't be provided to Panasonic.
Artwood and imagic like this.
post #7 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 817
the more oled the better at this point. I don't care if it's 1080p or UHD, that's irrelevant to me, but unless we start seeing FALD led's completely replacing edgelit ones, oled is the only real option other than projectors and I don't particularly want to put a projector in ever room, haha.
post #8 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A light at the end of the tunnel, a glimmer of hope. But is it the light of a 4k OLED flat panel TV from Panasonic or is it the flashlight of another weary AVS forum member looking for a high quality upgrade or replacement for their KURO, ZT, ST, VT, or....panel?

A search brings up the same article quoted a number of times, but if you scroll back a few months talks like this have been going on for quit some time. So I'm hopeful that these talks are more along the lines of ironing out some contract details rather then just some more random less serious type of talks.

Cheers!

Do you like my Avatar?  See it bigger at ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My other photos,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 185
LG Displays, which was barely able to make and sell 5,000 OLED TVs last year, is suddenly going to be able to supply themselves and everyone else with millions of panels and for affordable prices no less. Keep dreaming. Even with their new plant coning on line, and even if there are getting half the yields they claim. It will be 4-5 years before that happens, and that is not evening mention the quality and longevity problems.
post #10 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Great news for actual videophiles.
EscapeVelocity likes this.

post #11 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hmmmmm...one minute Panasonic are celebrating the demise of plasma with an lcd display they say is as good as plasma. Now it's back to oled. Well, if the rumours of Panasonic re entering the Oled arena is true, then it would say to me that Panasonic still see lcd as an inferior display replacement to plasma. It all hinges on uhd and the panels being flat. Panasonic can expect to be priced higher than high end lcd, as Panasonic have established a quality brand status.
post #12 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiplasma View Post
Hmmmmm...one minute Panasonic are celebrating the demise of plasma with an lcd display they say is as good as plasma. Now it's back to oled. Well, if the rumours of Panasonic re entering the Oled arena is true, then it would say to me that Panasonic still see lcd as an inferior display replacement to plasma. It all hinges on uhd and the panels being flat. Panasonic can expect to be priced higher than high end lcd, as Panasonic have established a quality brand status.
What I see is that Panasonic is a stronger brand for the high end television market compared to LG, which is probably makes sense considering Panasonic is one of the main producers of Plasmas, and has produced some of the best consumer televisions in recent years.

I'm glad to hear of this news, but I'm hoping that they'll have affordable OLED TVs within a couple of years.
post #13 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Oh please God let this be true.
EscapeVelocity and DRaven72 like this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #14 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
What I see is that Panasonic is a stronger brand for the high end television market compared to LG, which is probably makes sense considering Panasonic is one of the main producers of Plasmas, and has produced some of the best consumer televisions in recent years.

I'm glad to hear of this news, but I'm hoping that they'll have affordable OLED TVs within a couple of years.

Was one of the main producer of superior plasma panels..............
Everything else i am in 100% agreement with you......
post #15 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Not to come off as a heretic, but I don't see this as a game changer. However, the more clients LGD has, the more ubiquitous OLED is likely to become.
post #16 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
The OLED panels are flat when manufactured. They have to be curved to be integrated into the set. Hence, there is no reason that a flat screen can't be provided to Panasonic.
Where did you read / learn this? Just to clarify, you're saying they're curved as like the last step before putting them into the housing / frame?
post #17 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I haver read this a few times and yes, this is what happens. There is a thread here about the flexible OLED at CES where this is made rather clear.
post #18 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
I haver read this a few times and yes, this is what happens. There is a thread here about the flexible OLED at CES where this is made rather clear.
That's not a flexible OLED though...
post #19 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
"What is special about these panels on show is that these are made in Japan by Panasonic. People think that we don't make panels anymore but we have the tools to cut and curve OLED," he revealed.
source: http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...romise-1236925

so they are curved afterwards. we just have to hope they skip that step in the producing.
post #20 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hope it's true but not holding my breath. Also even if it is, it could still be quite some time until they are truly affordable.
post #21 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
For once maybe good news for us who's has been patiently awaiting OLED to finally take off since the late 90's.
About time. I've been waiting patiently too, still running my Plasma until OLED comes out.

I'm ready for a 65" Curved 4K OLED screen for $4000.
post #22 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Bet Sony follows once things are hammered out on production for panny and LG. I could see LG helping out with Panny's OLED production line development where both end up producing panels for Sony and Samsung. If they get these in the next 5 years at 80"+ and under $8000 like the 79" 4K Sony LCD, I will definitely hold out.

What I don't understand now is why Sony has a 79" 4K TV priced between 8-9K yet their 85" is $24,000?? I don't need 6" more for that price! Damn, I really want the Sony 79" 4K, but if this OLED rumor is true, I would rather hold out for it.

Cool Beans.
post #23 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I'm seriously eyeing that 77" 4K curved OLED , no seriously! finally there's hope and with a bit of patience for the prices to come down even an 80 or 90" is foreseeable.
post #24 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I'm seriously eyeing that 77" 4K curved OLED , no seriously! finally there's hope and with a bit of patience for the prices to come down even an 80 or 90" is foreseeable.
Last I heard, that 77" curved OLED from LG will cost in the neighborhood of $30,000, so your eyes better have deep pockets!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #25 of 98 Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Panasonic, LG, all made by Foxconn! Sounded funny.

For those who do not know what OLED is capable of, well, the Japanese have done it again. 8K OLED only 13 inches, 664 pixels per inch.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23622...d-display.html
post #26 of 98 Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I don't see this as being a catalyst to drive down prices. The true catalyst will be when a company other than LG makes competitive panels. The way I see it, the prices are high because they can't make many panels, so what does it matter if the TV says LG or Panasonic? The panel will still cost the same to produce and LG can charge whatever they want for it.
post #27 of 98 Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I don't see this as being a catalyst to drive down prices. The true catalyst will be when a company other than LG makes competitive panels. The way I see it, the prices are high because they can't make many panels, so what does it matter if the TV says LG or Panasonic? The panel will still cost the same to produce and LG can charge whatever they want for it.
By finding customers for its panels, LG are able to offset the financial risk involved in gearing up mass manufacturing facilities in the first place. They'll also be producing increased volumes not just for themselves but for sale to other companies, which should help them to continue driving down the manufacturing costs to levels more competitive with conventional TV technology.

Remember, it's not in LG's interests to produce a product priced so high that it does not sell. They obviously hope these will become mass-market items, and that they will be at the top of the manufacturing chain.

Desk

Last edited by Desk.; 06-17-2014 at 07:33 AM.
post #28 of 98 Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Last I heard, that 77" curved OLED from LG will cost in the neighborhood of $30,000, so your eyes better have deep pockets!
Sure, SRP, but I think even that has dipped to a lower $26k. Give it another year!
post #29 of 98 Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
By finding customers for its panels, LG are able to offset the financial risk involved in gearing up mass manufacturing facilities in the first place. They'll also be producing increased volumes not just for themselves but for sale to other companies, which should help them to continue driving down the manufacturing costs to levels more competitive with conventional TV technology.

Remember, it's not in LG's interests to produce a product priced so high that it does not sell. They obviously hope these will become mass-market items, and that they will be at the top of the manufacturing chain.

Desk
I have a theory that LG would really like to see Apple slap its logo on these TVs, but it has to ramp up production capacity and prove it can handle the demand such a move would generate before Cupertino commits. It's my own personal theory with nothing to back it up.
bootman_head_fi likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #30 of 98 Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

That is because the general public is very ill-informed and quick to believethe blue suits at Best Buy and the like. I for one wish I could afford the lastof the plasmas right now, even if I could justify one it would be a hard salefor the wife.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page