AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   OLED power consumption (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1571714-oled-power-consumption.html)

*UFO* 06-18-2014 08:47 PM

OLED power consumption

Looking at the current crop of OLED tv's out, it seems their power consumption is very close to that of plasma's. Are more power efficient OLED's possible or is it just the nature of the technology? The current OLED's use roughly 300 watts of power, which is very close to the 340 watts my plasmas use. Meanwhile, a comparable sized LCD uses less than half the power, and sometimes only a fraction of that. If OLED is inherently power hungry like plasma, that leaves OELD out of the race for me :(.

vinnie97 06-18-2014 09:37 PM

Haven't connected my Kill-A-Watt yet but I highly doubt OLED uses anywhere near as much power as plasma. For one, they produce almost no heat in comparison. There are also the following three findings, the first from FlatPanelsHD:

Before calibration (2D), it measured 113W. After calibration (dialing down no doubt), a mere 76W.

Here's what SoundAndVision had to say:

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&V
The LG OLED drew considerably less power than my reference 65-inch Panasonic does, depending on the source. With a checkerboard pattern, the Panasonic drew 3.8x the power (roughly adjusted to account for the size difference—45 W/sq.ft. for the Panasonic from 563 W total, 11.7 W/sq.ft for the OLED from 105 W total). With a 30% brightness window pattern, the difference decreased substantially, to 1.2x more for the plasma. This is a major advantage for OLED.

Finally, HDTVTest's readings:

Default [Eco] mode 103 watts Calibrated [ISF Expert1] mode 71 watts

*UFO* 06-18-2014 11:01 PM

They are not measuring a full white screen, which is what draws the most power. LG and Samsung both spec their 55" OLED panels as using around 300 watts max, which would be the case on a full white screen with brightness at max. The difference in screen sizes causes a huge jump in power draw. A 65" OLED is going to draw nearly twice as much power.

vinnie97 06-18-2014 11:29 PM

Full white field is not really a realistic measurement of actual power usage anyway, so I'm not sure what's the point? Gen 2 has reportedly improved efficiency, so perhaps we should wait before prematurely judging real-world usage.

slacker711 06-19-2014 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *UFO* (Post 25085074)
They are not measuring a full white screen, which is what draws the most power. LG and Samsung both spec their 55" OLED panels as using around 300 watts max, which would be the case on a full white screen with brightness at max. The difference in screen sizes causes a huge jump in power draw. A 65" OLED is going to draw nearly twice as much power.

The power consumption for an OLED is usually spec'ed with 40% of the screen on. Television/movies will likely come in below this figure. OTOH, if you are thinking about using your television as a monitor, the power consumption will be higher than a LCD right now.

You can expect the numbers to improve over time as LG Display uses more efficient materials. Samsung just improved their material set in the S5 and saw a 20% improvement in power consumption.