post #31 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
SAMWHA, and if i am not mistaken is 100% owned by Samsung. And it is hard to tell who owns what with most Asian companies, they do not have the clarity of American or European companies. Everybody know's the best consumer capacitors are made in Japan.

What has me confused is the "pink stuff" that is oozing from the top of the capacitor. The electrolyte in every other failed capacitor i have seen is reddish brown. I almost want to have it inspected to see what kind of toxic substance this "pink stuff" is.
Andy the best of everything is made in Japan, but every TV plant in Japan is being shutt down, with manufacturing moved to the mainland. With Sony even shifting to ODM, Sharp is struggling aswell, especially with the re-appreciation of the Yen, so Sony bowed out of instead of excercising its option to extend the share in the joint plant. Panasonic closed down almost all TV plants, Pioneer before that, Japan is considered to be too expensive for CE manufacturing.

Lets not forget all of those Panasonic plasma panels that have been replaced, over most generations.

And those Apple external back-up harddrives that are designed to fail after 18 months.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with that DPI, when it comes to market.

Last edited by donaldk; 06-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I find the build quality on Samsung products (in terms of look and feel) to be inferior to other brands, and haven't been a huge fan of their TVs for a few years, since about the 2009/2010 era when they made great looking CCFL LCDs (although the F8500 is a great looking TV). My personal experience with Samsung has been limited because I generally try to avoid buying their products. My experience is with them is limited to an original Galaxy S1 phone, which was a piece of junk with really poor support from Samsung and their awful Touchwiz skin (I know they're better now, since it was a first-gen product, but I'll never buy another one), A Samsung microwave from 2001 that's still working (and that was made in Korea), and a 32" ES6500 TV in my bedroom, which has relatively lackluster black levels for using a Samsung panel (TH01) and surprising uniformity issues for a small 32" TV. Generally, my gripe with Samsung is that they've gone from making great TVs at every level to kind of riding on their reputation and pushing out lackluster products because they know they can get away with it. Sure, it happens to a lot of manufacturers who get a big head -- it happened to Sony -- but Samsung is one of the worst offenders. Take a look at a 6-series samsung for instance (H6350, H6400), which are their bread-and-butter lines. Their picture is not anything to write home about; in fact, it's probably not as good as 6-series sets from Samsung even a few years ago. But Samsung knows that if they load them with useless Smart features and slap their name on it people will buy it no matter what. Read the CNet reviews of both series and they'll both say as much about the picture.

But no manufacturer is immune to quality issues. 2 out of the 4 Panasonic plasmas I owned had some kind of issue -- the Smart TV apps stopped working entirely on one [G20] and I had developed yellow blobbing on the other [VT50]. Panasonic is known as one of the CE companies with the lowest failure rate, so go figure.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100

Last edited by fatuglyguy; 06-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.
post #33 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ Well you can add every Chinese parts manufacturer as well as the big name manufacturers that use them, Apple who gets parts from guys like this and on and on. It never ends.

But to single Samsung out for this is, once again, just silly. We seem to have entered the fashionable era of Samsung bashing around here. It used to be Sony. Some have to bash someone I guess.
It is not Samsung "bashing", it is pure fact. The rising rate of unhappy Samsung customers stems from their declining quality control. Just like every manufacturer, they have their "golden years" then get to relaxed and ride on their reputation. Before Samsung, it happened to Sony. Now Sony is making a comeback (and a swift one at that). They slip until they see that their name is no longer selling their product. Samsung still plays the panel lottery. Meanwhile, Sony has vowed to never again be part of those shenanigans. That deserves praise.
post #34 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Don't you guys have vicious lawers in America that piss honey every time they can have case like this against multi billion dollar company ?
Yeah but if they do not pocket a million there not interested. If it would have burned the house down, then a lawyer would be involved.
post #35 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Andy the best of everything is made in Japan, but every TV plant in Japan is being shutt down, with manufacturing moved to the mainland. With Sony even shifting to ODM, Sharp is struggling aswell, especially with the re-appreciation of the Yen, so Sony bowed out of instead of excercising its option to extend the share in the joint plant. Panasonic closed down almost all TV plants, Pioneer before that, Japan is considered to be too expensive for CE manufacturing.

Lets not forget all of those Panasonic plasma panels that have been replaced, over most generations.

And those Apple external back-up harddrives that are designed to fail after 18 months.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with that DPI, when it comes to market.
Oh i know. It is night and day between made in Japan and China when it comes to electronics. NEC shifted there displays to China, and we know how that worked for them. Samsung started good and went bad fast. It only took RCA 30 years to get to that point of badness. Samsung did it in 5 years. I don't care what they make or what they do, i will never own another Samsung product.

I have only dealt with DPI customer service on one occasion for a leaking cooling system on one of there older Christie re brands they used to do. Fixed over the phone and the parts were dropped shipped the same day form there warehouse with next day air, less than 24 hour's from customer support to getting replacement parts, with out them holding a credit card first, or waiting for inspection of the failed parts. Not many business do that much anymore.
post #36 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Samsung still plays the panel lottery. Meanwhile, Sony has vowed to never again be part of those shenanigans. That deserves praise.
Where can I find this vow?
post #37 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
It is not Samsung "bashing", it is pure fact. The rising rate of unhappy Samsung customers stems from their declining quality control. Just like every manufacturer, they have their "golden years" then get to relaxed and ride on their reputation. Before Samsung, it happened to Sony. Now Sony is making a comeback (and a swift one at that). They slip until they see that their name is no longer selling their product. Samsung still plays the panel lottery. Meanwhile, Sony has vowed to never again be part of those shenanigans. That deserves praise.
When you can cite actual statistics to back up this claim relative to other manufacturers, let me know. Until then, like so many other threads like this, it's nothing more than anecdotal 'evidence'.

As for Sony, where did you see them say they'll 'never be part of these shenanigans'?
Joe Bloggs likes this.
post #38 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Where can I find this vow?
Yeah, where? This thread is really becoming over the top.
Stereodude likes this.
post #39 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Do you have a UPS with surge protection connected to the TV/PC? Can't some capacitor failures be due to surges, and shouldn't that help reduce the risk of failure (for any TV/PC) if that was the cause, as well as help in case of power loss etc. or an extension lead with surge protection if not? Though I don't have either on my Samsung TV that has lasted years, but in theory, shouldn't they help protect any TV (or PC or other electronics)?

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 06-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.
post #40 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
in defense of samsung, i've had a S2 phone that i passed on to a family member, 5 years running and still good (well the GPS was erratic but when i was on the phone forums it was more a broadcom issue than sammie's as other makers using that chip had same problem. Additionaly i had a 63" DLP sammie TV that i bought i 2004 and just last year, actually about november, replaced it - 3rd bulb went out and figured it was time to update to a flat screen. But that was just shy of 10 years use.

I'm in mfgring (metal products, nothing high tech) but i can tell you about common issues cadillac had with some components that they kept using for years.

i don't think the failures are unique to sammie - i willl agree with an earlier poster in what differentiates mfgrs is how they treat the customer with the failure -that's what i'm interested in.

fwiw
post #41 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Here are some non-anectodal statistics that might help this conversation.

Consumer Reports states that from a sample size of more than 161,000 LCD televisions purchased between 2009-2013 which required either a repair or had a "serious problem" (having adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked solely to the age of the TV) Samsung televisions have an issue 4% of the time. The competition breaks down as follows:

Panasonic: 2%
Sony: 3%
Sharp: 3%
LG: 3%
Vizio: 4%
Westinghouse: 7%

A final very important detail with the numbers above is that differences of less than 3 points between the percentages are not statistically meaningful.

Westinghouse and Panasonic being the standouts in either direction.

PSN ID: Kranin
post #42 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post

Consumer Reports states that from a sample size of more than 161,000 LCD televisions purchased between 2009-2013 which required either a repair or had a "serious problem" (having adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked solely to the age of the TV) Samsung televisions have an issue 4% of the time. The competition breaks down as follows:
One problem with that report is that it doesn't take into account how many of each make of LCD TV were sold. If there were more LCD TVs of brand X sold than brand Y, you'd expect more TVs of brand X to need repair than brand Y, all other things being equal.

So maybe it would be better if it was "of the LCD TVs sold by each of these manufacturers, what percentage required repair for a serious problem (not the percentage of all those sold, but as a percentage of those sold by each manufacturer)".

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 06-27-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #43 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
One problem with that report is that it doesn't take into account how many of each make of LCD TV were sold. If there were more LCD TVs of brand X sold than brand Y, you'd expect more of TVs of brand X to need repair than brand Y, all other things being equal.
Their survey methodology isn't perfect (what is?!?), but it is superior in every way to anectodal reporting.
Ken Ross likes this.

post #44 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A final very important detail with the numbers above is that differences of less than 3 points between the percentages are not statistically meaningful.

Which pretty much proves what I said several times. This thread is a joke and, as I said, a Samsung bashing thread. With a problem rate deviation of 1% relative to Sony, Sharp & LG and the same as Vizio and 2% worse than Panasonic, this discussion is giving me a big yawn.

Thanks for some actual stats as opposed to anecdotal stories.
post #45 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Ah, I always knew you were a secret Sammy admirer, Vinnie!
+1
post #46 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
^ Well you can add every Chinese parts manufacturer as well as the big name manufacturers that use them, Apple who gets parts from guys like this and on and on. It never ends.

But to single Samsung out for this is, once again, just silly. We seem to have entered the fashionable era of Samsung bashing around here. It used to be Sony. Some have to bash someone I guess.
It's been going on for years here. As a Yankees fan, i'm used to hearing that same kind of hate when you're top dog. Sometimes it's a badge honor.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #47 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
All recent (2011-2012) purchases minus the phone related to wanting to get devices/appliances that were the most energy efficient. Never cared much for their TVs when it relates to cinematic viewing. The only exception of late is their now discontinued OLED. Price never dipped low enough unfortunately to consider it seriously.

Prior to that in HT products, they innovated alongside LG by manufacturing the only hybrid Blu-ray/HD DVD players (LG interestingly beat them to the punch, though, with their first generation product).

That's pretty much where my Samsung admiration comes to a screeching halt, though.
post #48 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
After a mere 4 months my Samsung LS24D360HL/ZA, a 2014 model, has suffered a catastrophic capacitor failure and severely injured my Geforce GT 730 graphics card, burning out the HDMI output, and making the DVI output only show a red screen. Have not tested VGA on it, as i removed the video card and replaced it with my old GT550 displaying on my AOC 21:9 monitor that i am glad i had turned off and is still working.

Everything else on my HTPC appears to be working and in stable order, as the Geforce took the blunt of it.

I will never buy, nor recommend any Samsung product to anyone ever again. There quality control is junk, there products are junk.

Here is the blown capacitor i found on the monitor. Sorry for it being blurred, my Iphone would not focus properly.
Ok, we now have two components at opposing ends of a cable that are dead. Are you sure that it was the TV's caps that initiated this problem and not the video card itself failing on its own and then killing the TV?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #49 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which pretty much proves what I said several times. This thread is a joke and, as I said, a Samsung bashing thread. With a problem rate deviation of 1% relative to Sony, Sharp & LG and the same as Vizio and 2% worse than Panasonic, this discussion is giving me a big yawn.

Thanks for some actual stats as opposed to anecdotal stories.
Sorry you work for Samsung. Has to be hard hearing the truth. If Samsung had such "Great"products they would not have ended here, http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+to+...ticle24065.htm.

I will admit to my stupidy, and that is thinking 2014 was diffrent for Samsung. Wrong.
post #50 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So let's throw current statistics out and just harp on an article that's over 2 years old that speaks of data that's significantly older than that.

Hate on my friend, hate on. Why not start another thread on this? No, wait, start your own Samsung hater forum!

Excuse me, my Samsung supervisor is calling me, gotta go.
Stereodude, vinnie97 and tgm1024 like this.
post #51 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry you work for Samsung. Has to be hard hearing the truth. If Samsung had such "Great"products they would not have ended here, http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+to+...ticle24065.htm.

I will admit to my stupidy, and that is thinking 2014 was diffrent for Samsung. Wrong.
And if Sony makes such great products, why did they need to recall 1.6 million LCD TVs http://news.yahoo.com/sony-recalls-1...082415721.html
post #52 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Ok, we now have two components at opposing ends of a cable that are dead. Are you sure that it was the TV's caps that initiated this problem and not the video card itself failing on its own and then killing the TV?
It was a series of componets. My HTPC still works. My AOC monitor is working fine, as that is what i am using now and it was connected via DVI, my Samsung monitor is dead and it was connected by HDMI. My Geforce GT730 is dead on the HDMI, only displayed red on DVI and the VGA output is unknown, as i never had it connected. No need for Perry Mason there.

Lets see the GT got what? 2 to 9 vdc depending on how hard it was working, Samsung got 120 vac in and went down to as low as 3 vdc to as high as 280 vac. Now what really damaged what? Since the Samsung had the failed parts, the same parts they were sued in a worldwide class action lawsuit to repair and replace.

And Nivida Geforce card, out of a dozen i have had, zero failures. Google Geforce blows up monitor, you will find nothing.

Anything else?
post #53 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
And if Sony makes such great products, why did they need to recall 1.6 million LCD TVs http://news.yahoo.com/sony-recalls-1...082415721.html
Key word here is "recalled". How many hundreds of millions of dollars did Samsung have to pay out in lawsuits for not wanting to "recall" there junk products and fix or replace them?
post #54 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
So let's throw current statistics out and just harp on an article that's over 2 years old that speaks of data that's significantly older than that.

Hate on my friend, hate on. Why not start another thread on this? No, wait, start your own Samsung hater forum!

Excuse me, my Samsung supervisor is calling me, gotta go.
?

RCA went thru the same thing, now what is there share of the consumer market for electronics? Right.
post #55 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would like to read this report. Were is a link to it?
post #56 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now you're making parallels between RCA and Samsung. Wow, you're beyond 'way out there'.

More meaningful stats were already posted above, but naturally, you chose to ignore it. Did you get fired from Samsung?

I've wasted more than enough time in this thread. Nothing to see here, move on.
post #57 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
The above report is likely from Consumer Reports. One has to subscribe to their magazine or site to see the articles, so finding a link might prove to be difficult, but it's not made up. It's been pretty similar for the last 3 years at least.
post #58 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you have a UPS with surge protection connected to the TV/PC? Can't some capacitor failures be due to surges, and shouldn't that help reduce the risk of failure (for any TV/PC) if that was the cause, as well as help in case of power loss etc. or an extension lead with surge protection if not? Though I don't have either on my Samsung TV that has lasted years, but in theory, shouldn't they help protect any TV (or PC or other electronics)?
Yes i have a APC RS 1500 surge protector battery back up that is currently loaded at 180watts and with the weather here today has done it's job at least 6 times today. It is working fine.
post #59 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I would like to read this report. Were is a link to it?
Here is the link (but it is behind a pay-wall, fyi).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ir-history.htm

post #60 of 93 Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Now you're making parallels between RCA and Samsung. Wow, you're beyond 'way out there'.

More meaningful stats were already posted above, but naturally, you chose to ignore it. Did you get fired from Samsung?

I've wasted more than enough time in this thread. Nothing to see here, move on.
Lets hold hands and say this together, four. Lets say it again, FOUR. That is the total months my monitor lasted, that is the total Samsung products i have owned, that is the number of DEAD Samsung products in my house. For me Samsung equals a 100 percent failure rate.

In the past Kenwood was my audio choice and RCA was my video choice, for decades. As low as they went when Kenwood shifted to China and RCA to Mexico later to China, they never got as low as Samsung's QC.

Yes please, troll another thread.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page