Closed Thread

post #1 of 93 Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Samsung is JUNK!

After a mere 4 months my Samsung LS24D360HL/ZA, a 2014 model, has suffered a catastrophic capacitor failure and severely injured my Geforce GT 730 graphics card, burning out the HDMI output, and making the DVI output only show a red screen. Have not tested VGA on it, as i removed the video card and replaced it with my old GT550 displaying on my AOC 21:9 monitor that i am glad i had turned off and is still working.

Everything else on my HTPC appears to be working and in stable order, as the Geforce took the blunt of it.

I will never buy, nor recommend any Samsung product to anyone ever again. There quality control is junk, there products are junk.

Here is the blown capacitor i found on the monitor. Sorry for it being blurred, my Iphone would not focus properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000514.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	131586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There are many stories of people rescuing thrown out dead LCDs and reviving them by replacing the caps.

What brands of capacitors are in there and what brand was it that blew up?
post #3 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Every single company in the world has a lemon product from time to time so rather than insulting the numerous happy Samsung owners here in the forum by proclaiming Samsung sucks, instead suck it up, contact Samsung and get the problem resolved...if it's only a 4 month old product as its most likely under warranty...I'm I'm sure you can push the issue with them that it also wrecked you graphics card!
Ken Ross likes this.
post #4 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 04:41 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
After a mere 4 months my Samsung LS24D360HL/ZA, a 2014 model, has suffered a catastrophic capacitor failure and severely injured my Geforce GT 730 graphics card, burning out the HDMI output, and making the DVI output only show a red screen. Have not tested VGA on it, as i removed the video card and replaced it with my old GT550 displaying on my AOC 21:9 monitor that i am glad i had turned off and is still working.

Everything else on my HTPC appears to be working and in stable order, as the Geforce took the blunt of it.

I will never buy, nor recommend any Samsung product to anyone ever again. There quality control is junk, there products are junk.

Here is the blown capacitor i found on the monitor. Sorry for it being blurred, my Iphone would not focus properly.
Clearly Samsung will pay the damage as that could have dangerous to health also.
post #5 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I agree. I've repaired many, many Samsung TVs myself. General impression is build quality is lacking. Better than the lowest end though.

Last edited by tom669; 06-24-2014 at 09:01 AM.
post #6 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Not just TVs, everything Samsung made lacks proper QA. I have bought many Samsung products in the past (phones, tablets, DVD players and BD players). My personal failure rate is about 50%. So, I'd avoid anything Samsung as much as possible.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #7 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
And my failure rare is zero. I've got a Samsung F8500 plasma, a kitchen 32" LCD and currently a Galaxy S5 as well as 3 Galaxy phones prior.

All have worked perfectly and illustrate why generalizations can be dangerous and inaccurate.
adrock7309 likes this.
post #8 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am sorry to those who have a interest in Samsung. They have the worst crash rate of any consumer brand. I have never had any good experience with any Samsung product of late. This will be my last purchase with them, this will be the last time i deal with there JUNK. You do not hear of these problems from Sony, LG, or even Element product owners.
post #9 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post
There are many stories of people rescuing thrown out dead LCDs and reviving them by replacing the caps.

What brands of capacitors are in there and what brand was it that blew up?
SAMWHA, and if i am not mistaken is 100% owned by Samsung. And it is hard to tell who owns what with most Asian companies, they do not have the clarity of American or European companies. Everybody know's the best consumer capacitors are made in Japan.

What has me confused is the "pink stuff" that is oozing from the top of the capacitor. The electrolyte in every other failed capacitor i have seen is reddish brown. I almost want to have it inspected to see what kind of toxic substance this "pink stuff" is.
post #10 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Clearly Samsung will pay the damage as that could have dangerous to health also.
Samsung told me to ship the monitor to them, on my coin, and if it was a defect they would replace the defective part, and if any other part was in need of service i would be charged for it and ship it back to me, on my coin. And i would have to "Prove" there product damaged another(GeForce) product and would have to ship that as well to them for inspection. The turn around time was 2 to 4 months.

Now Nvidia is sending me a postage paid box to send the card to them for inspection and repair and or replacement. The guy at Nvidia i talked to said this is not the first time this has happened. When i pressed about Samsung, he said he could not commit. That says it all.

Nope. I am done with Samsung. 1 dead LCD TV, main board various capacitors, 1 dead plasma x and y main boards, 1 dead monitor and 1 dead Blu-Ray player. The oldest is 3 years. Pathetic.
post #11 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
One of the biggest issues of Samsung products, is that NONE of their products with HDMI is CERTIFIED...
Besides the marginal build quality, is the problem of poor intercomponent operability..
They build it to sell, once it fails, toss it in the dumpster, buy another..

Just my $0.05...
post #12 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Samsung told me to ship the monitor to them, on my coin, and if it was a defect they would replace the defective part, and if any other part was in need of service i would be charged for it and ship it back to me, on my coin. And i would have to "Prove" there product damaged another(GeForce) product and would have to ship that as well to them for inspection. The turn around time was 2 to 4 months.
Don't you guys have vicious lawers in America that piss honey every time they can have case like this against multi billion dollar company ?
post #13 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Samsung and Philips suffered class action lawsuits because of of huge failure rates from Samwha capacitors. I can't believe it's 2014 and they're still putting the same old bad Samwhas in LCDs.

If you have your monitor replaced under warranty the replacement will probably break down in time from the same fault. It should be an easy repair for someone who knows what they're doing. If it was my monitor I would pre-emptively replace the Samwhas as soon as the warranty runs out.
post #14 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am sorry to those who have a interest in Samsung.
Why be sorry for those owners that have no issues and never had with Samsung products? What am I missing? Every product line has failures, every one. It's the luck of the draw.

Oh, I forgot to add that we also have a Samsung washer & dryer with no issues. In this thread it's easy to see why I may have forgotten about a washer & dryer.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #15 of 93 Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'm another former Samsung purchaser. My first HDTV was a Samsung 46-in 1080p 120Hz HD TV and it had a great picture ... until just past 2 years after I had purchased it, and then it developed horizontal lines about a quarter inch apart, first in the upper left part of the screen when showing a bright scene (I first noticed it in a sky scene in a western), but over time the pinstripes took over the whole screen. Since the TV was out of warranty and even out of Costco's additional year of warranty, and since a search showed that the most likely cause was a bad display unit, I ended up replacing it with anything but Samsung. Yes, I could have just gotten a bad unit, but in my searching I discovered the capacitor issue from models two years earlier than my model that resulted in Samsung losing a class action suit, which made me suspect a trend of poor QC.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #16 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Some historic perspective might be good here.
In the 60s my father bought a color TV. It was $600 which I am sure is thousands in today's money. We had to replace tubes in it all the time. When was the last time your modern TV had internal consumables?
You could probably buy 5 32in TVs today for what he paid for one 25 inch.
It stinks when things break. And statistically someone will always have bad luck and get more than someone else.
If you want a more reliable product it will cost more.
Not a lot you can do about it but try and keep your blood pressure down and move on.
Samsung is one of the biggest manufacturers. They will have more failures and more complaints because of it.

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk

buytme
post #17 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of statistics, what do you think the average failure rate (e.g. caused by defects) of today's consumer electronics in general? Is it 1%? or is it 10%? Which one is acceptable to you? And if brand A has 10% failure rate (either OOB or premature failure) and brand B has 1%, which one will you choose?

Even at 10% failure rate, your chance of getting a bad unit is 1 in 10. So, it is no surprise that most will get perfectly working units. However, if one consistently getting more than fair share of failed products from one brand, what does that indicate the average failure rate of that particular brand?

So, statistically speaking, just because you get perfectly working products from the same brand is no surprise because the odds of having a working products favors you and many others. But knowing that if one brand consistently fair worst in reliability/QC than others, will that affect your choice next time?

I know I would. And it is not generalization.

Speaking of Samsung, my son's 1.5 year old Galaxy S3 has to be replaced recently. The problem is a faulty battery charging circuitry that causes phone reading false battery levels. Search on the internet, it appears that is a common problem with this phone. There is nothing I can do to fix it (already tried new battery, external battery charger and hard reset). The phone is in great shape and like new otherwise. Needless to say, that will be the last Samsung phone I will ever purchase. In the mean time, my 2-year old HTC One X that was dropped on the ground many times by my other kid and screen cracked still works just fine without any problem. And my original Samsung Galaxy S1 (AT&T Captivate) was released with a faulty GPS chip. The phone, and most of the Galaxy S1, was released by Samsung knowing full well that its GPS chip doesn't work in most cases (can't be used for navigation). Back a few years more, my first smartphone from Samsung, Samsung Blackjack 1, has a design defect that prompted AT&T to recall all the phones within a year or so because the cell antenna is literally just glued using some kind of paper clue to the circuit board and it will separate itself over time, rendering the phone useless. My Samsung Blackjack 2 has something went loss inside the phone from day one and its USB charging port is known to break easily (not on my unit). The only Samsung phone I owned that was problem free is the Galaxy S2. Not to mention my bad luck with a Samsung universal BD/HDDVD player which I paid $400 for (new) and it will lock up half of the time since day one.
post #18 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ To be perfectly honest, if the PQ attributes of the product with a 10% failure rate were better IMO, I'd still choose it. To get a display, with what I consider lesser PQ, just for that extra 9% of assurance, is not worth it to me.

As you say, I'd have a 90% chance of a problem-free product with the more 'unreliable' device. Ultimately PQ is my most important consideration when choosing a display device. I've had my 64" Samsung F8500 for over a year now and love it. It has among the best PQ of any display available today and it continues to work flawlessy.

As for phones, I'm now on my 3rd Samsung Galaxy (S3, 4 & 5) and they've performed flawlessly with each generation outperforming the last. My only complaints with prior Samsung phones was battery life, but the new S5 has stellar battery life.
post #19 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
One of the biggest issues of Samsung products, is that NONE of their products with HDMI is CERTIFIED...
Besides the marginal build quality, is the problem of poor intercomponent operability..
They build it to sell, once it fails, toss it in the dumpster, buy another..

Just my $0.05...
Sounds like the Vizio "throwaway tv's"
post #20 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So many silly, simplistic generalizations in this thread, that mean absolutely nothing.

Toss this one in the AVS garbage can.
Ph8te, tgm1024 and markfilipak like this.
post #21 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
While that may, this is an interesting development if true:

Samsung no longer offers 3 month warranty extension with online registration

(I have a tendency to despise Samsung, but I can't deny I bought an S3, now passed on to a family member as well as a 32" smart TV also for said family member, and a washer and dryer). The dryer's thermostat pretty much failed on first use, lol. The replacement has fared better.
post #22 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, I always knew you were a secret Sammy admirer, Vinnie!
post #23 of 93 Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I too have had nothing but problems with every single Samsung product I have purchased (so for me Samsung has been a 100% failure rate) including phones, blu-ray players, and televisions. It seems Samsung spends more money in marketing and advertising than anything else. For this reason I too will usually talk down to Samsung products. It is true though that every manufacturer will have lemons.
post #24 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Just to kick Samsung some more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...y.html?hpid=z2
post #25 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Well you can add every Chinese parts manufacturer as well as the big name manufacturers that use them, Apple who gets parts from guys like this and on and on. It never ends.

But to single Samsung out for this is, once again, just silly. We seem to have entered the fashionable era of Samsung bashing around here. It used to be Sony. Some have to bash someone I guess.
post #26 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think ppl are singling out Samsung. Samsung gets what it deserved. Wait until all your Samsung appliance failed to see what you feel. PPl can tolerate <= 1% failure rate on electronics but if you get couple failed products in a row from the same brand, something doesn't smell good.

However, even at 10% failure rate, your odds to get a bad one is till very small. So, just because you get couple perfectly working products from Samsung doesn't mean Samsung has no quality assurance problem.
post #27 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Ken, the last Samsung purchase (for myself or anyone) was in 2012 (the 32" TV and the S3). The TV was grabbed because it was the most energy efficient LCD I could find at that size at the time (in hindsight a bit of a waste given the little difference in energy usage between most LCD products available at any size). Concerning the S3, that was my first smartphone, and I was taken by the hype and excited to be able to make wifi calls through an Android device for no cost. I have few complaints about the phone itself (though the screen surely does love to go off when trying to input numbers on the dial pad during a phone call...irritating to the point that I wanted to destroy it a few times. This could be related to app incompatibilities since this occurs during the usage of a 3rd party app when making wifi calls). A little too close for comfort but rest assured they have been near the bottom of my list for almost the last 2 years. That being said, the S5 is a tempting piece of kit (if I hadn't grabbed a Moto X, which is the most advanced phone supported by Republic Wireless).

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-26-2014 at 10:33 AM.
post #28 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ Well you can add every Chinese parts manufacturer as well as the big name manufacturers that use them, Apple who gets parts from guys like this and on and on. It never ends.

But to single Samsung out for this is, once again, just silly. We seem to have entered the fashionable era of Samsung bashing around here. It used to be Sony. Some have to bash someone I guess.

No one is allowed to post anything bad about Samsung, or any company for that matter, as long as their competition isn't 100% flawless.
discopaul likes this.
post #29 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
It's not just that some products have issues (just about any manufacturer will have some bad units leaving the factory floor or damaged in distribution), but also how the manufacturer treats the customer with a bad unit.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #30 of 93 Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
No one is allowed to post anything bad about Samsung, or any company for that matter, as long as their competition isn't 100% flawless.
No, but to attribute far more 'guilt' to Samsung, relative to any other companies, without any firm statistics, is just silly.

Hard to believe that I've just been 'lucky' with a Samsung S3, S4, S5, F8500, Samsung kitchen LCD and Samsung washer & dryer with no issues. Using some of the 'logic' I've read here, I can proclaim that Samsung products are 100% reliable and this reliability stretches across many product lines.

But if I said that, that would be just as groundless as some of the posts I've read here.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page