Time For Major Upgrade... Samsung 65" 4K? Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Time For Major Upgrade... Samsung 65" 4K? Please help.

Hey Guys just looking for some suggestions on a new tv. Currently Have a 7 Year old 52" Samsung LCD 1080p and Am looking to get some new technology and better picture quality. I have currently been looking at the Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA 4k TV. I sit approximately 7-8 feet from the TV. Is it worth getting the curve? Is it worth upgrading to this tv? Is 65" Too large and maybe go with a 55"?. Do you have any other Televisions you might recommend instead? I have always had Samsungs. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Samsung UN65HU9000
Pioneer VSX -524 -K
Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CK632 View Post
Hey Guys just looking for some suggestions on a new tv. Currently Have a 7 Year old 52" Samsung LCD 1080p and Am looking to get some new technology and better picture quality. I have currently been looking at the Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA 4k TV. I sit approximately 7-8 feet from the TV. Is it worth getting the curve? Is it worth upgrading to this tv? Is 65" Too large and maybe go with a 55"?. Do you have any other Televisions you might recommend instead? I have always had Samsungs. Thanks a lot for all your help.
Hi,

almost everyone agrees that OLED tvs have the best picture quality. Even better than the great Pioneer Elite Kuro.

Samsung made an OLED tv but its no longer in production. I would suggest waiting for the 2014 LG OLEDs that are going to be released very soon.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think 65" at 7 - 8 feet may be a bit overwhelming. Here's a good article that may help you with your "size problem".

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iWKqFvI...placement.html

The 8550 series Samsung TV's have some excellent specifications and with more and more 4K content coming through Netflix and local cable (Comcast says they will be hooking us up to 4K content this Fall) it's a good bet to future proof a bit with a 4K TV. LED LCD technology has improved considerably lately and is getting very close to plasma with respects to black levels. Adjusting them to your liking may take a while (some would suggest looking up the settings - some TV's have up to 60 variables!) but it's worth it in the end. I watched two identical size TV's, both from Samsung, side by side. One was an LED, the other was a 4K LED and with the same feed, the 4K looked much crisper with well defined images and absolutely NO motion issues. I even tweaked them to my liking and the 4K unit still looked better.

The curved units didn't impress me and that's only because for more money I saw no discernible difference in picture quality.

Good luck with your decision!

Michael
McIntosh/Emotiva/SimAudio/Yulong/Aerial Acoustics/Panamax

Last edited by Yamaki; 07-03-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hey Guys just looking for some suggestions on a new tv. Currently Have a 7 Year old 52" Samsung LCD 1080p and Am looking to get some new technology and better picture quality. I have currently been looking at the Samsung UN65HU8550FXZA 4k TV.
I just replaced a 6 year old Samsung 50" 720p plasma with a 50" HU8550 4K. This is a TV mostly my wife watches. This is not too much like your situation, but I did wind up with the same model. My wife and I are both happy with the picture, which has lots of punch, good color, barely acceptable black level, poor off axis viewing.

We don't use it for 4k, but only satellite 1080i/720p/480i input. For that, the resolution is quite good.

The step up HU9000 model, aside from being curved, supposedly has 2 picture enhancing features, but I haven't heard anything about whether they actually show an improvement. I didn't consider it, because my wife insisted on a 50" size.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got a 65 inch 8550 and sit about 8-9 feet away and I think it is a little too big. I went in the store looking for a 60 inch 8000 series . I ended up seeing the picture on the 8550 and was blown away only problem is they did not have this TV in 60".. They ended up giving me a great deal on the 8550 , I seen the 60" 8000 going for right under 2k and I got the 8550 for $2500. (Well it was $2999 with a 5 year warrenty) so I had to take it. I hope I will get used to the size..
post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
I just got a 65 inch 8550 and sit about 8-9 feet away and I think it is a little too big. I went in the store looking for a 60 inch 8000 series . I ended up seeing the picture on the 8550 and was blown away only problem is they did not have this TV in 60".. They ended up giving me a great deal on the 8550 , I seen the 60" 8000 going for right under 2k and I got the 8550 for $2500. (Well it was $2999 with a 5 year warrenty) so I had to take it. I hope I will get used to the size..
Don't worry...You absolutely will. :-)
post #7 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
If you have a big budget I would look at the sony x950b price is 8k but you could get it for around 6.5k for the 65.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Your questions regarding curved&4K are answered by renowned expert:

@curved:
In my living room at home, even on a 65-inch screen, the curve didn't have any major effect on the picture aside from reducing reflections somewhat. When seen from the sweet spot in the middle, or even a couple seats to either side, the minor distortions introduced by the curve don't really register unless you're looking for them. Yes, if you move farther off-angle the screen's unusual shape becomes more apparent, as it does if you sit closer. But from my "the daddy seat" at a standard seating distance--remember, most people, including me, sit around 9 feet from their TVs at home--the curve is subtle at best.

@4K:
For comparison purposes, I arranged all four 4K sets so they were as close to the same seating distance as I could make them: between 77 and 87 inches (roughly 6.5 to 7.5 feet, which is quite close for 65-inch TVs)....
Perhaps the best test was the 4K version of "The Counselor" played on the Samsung, versus the 1080p Blu-ray of the same film played on the other sets. I stared hard and some extra detail was apparent in the 4K version...
These areas looked great on the Bu-ray, but on the 4K version they were ever-so-slightly sharper in my side-by-side, theatrically close lineup. The differences in detail were so subtle that in the vast majority of scenes I couldn't tell the Samsung playing 4K from the others. I also asked three other colleagues to weigh in and only one was able to successfully identify the 4K TV from the others. When I moved the couch back to about 8.5 feet, the differences disappeared.

The conclusion is inescapable: for your viewing distance 7-8 feets both cuved @ 4K are still total gimmicks and you can blindly forget them. Especially when you take into account that the tests above were done with the highest quality content available and reviewer was staring as hard as possible to pick up any difference.

Last edited by irkuck; 07-05-2014 at 02:16 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post
Your questions regarding curved&4K are answered by renowned expert:

@4K:
The differences in detail were so subtle that in the vast majority of scenes I couldn't tell the Samsung playing 4K from the others.

... and reviewer was staring as hard as possible to pick up any difference.
But we can tell from the description that reviewer wasn't actually "staring as hard as possible to pick up any difference." Not any difference -- just differences in detail. This is a biased comparison. I'd be interested to see the results of a carefully done unbiased comparison to see whether people can distinguish a 2k from a 4k TV at reasonable viewing distances. Until then, I remain agnostic about the matter.

Greg Lee
post #10 of 11 Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
But we can tell from the description that reviewer wasn't actually "staring as hard as possible to pick up any difference." Not any difference -- just differences in detail. This is a biased comparison. I'd be interested to see the results of a carefully done unbiased comparison to see whether people can distinguish a 2k from a 4k TV at reasonable viewing distances. Until then, I remain agnostic about the matter.
how is it a biased comparison? the person citing the cnet review (david katzmier's) may be biased but the actual article is word for word...so I think you're the one who's coming off a little biased. I think (hope) the average AVS user can read the straight excerpt without being influenced by the loads of 'bias' you say are seemingly framing it
post #11 of 11 Old 07-06-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
how is it a biased comparison?
It's biased because the reviewer is looking only for a difference of detail. That's not just observing -- it's pursuing a theory based on what he thinks he knows about how the set is physically constructed. And the reviewer knows, as we know, that he's not going to see a difference of detail, because of the distance and the way human vision works. Why bother to even look? He's just trying to confirm his prejudices. What can it prove?

Greg Lee
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page