Advice needed for replacing 2 tvs. Thor smote em, gotta get new ones. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Advice needed for replacing 2 tvs. Thor smote em, gotta get new ones.

A big storm rolled through and blew out my mom's 2 tvs in her house.

This presents a weird, and unique problem for me. She's asking me for help on picking out the best ones she can get in her budget, and to be frank I haven't really kept up with TVs in general since "accidentally burning in your plasma screen" was an option.

So, I was wondering what you guys would recommend with these constraints:
Big tv for the front (current one is 42, no maximum size other than budget restraints)
Somewhat same size tv for back bedroom (current one is 48)
Total budget of around ~1700$ tops for both.
Warranties would be great.
Needs at LEAST 3 HDMI slots per tv.
Would prefer name brands but if you know an off brand that rocks, feel free to share.
Picture quality is the killer here. She has a surround sound system for both rooms, so she just wants the best looking pic she can get for the budget she has, since we mute the tv speakers for the surround sound setup.
She doesn't want a plasma. LED or LCD is fine though, no preference.

We have between us, a sam's club membership, and access to costco, best buy, and amazon prime.

Obviously we aren't expecting a 90" OLED 3d smart tv with wifi to fit in the budget, just looking for the "best" that can fit in there for them.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There is a good chance the power surge didn't completely destroy the TV.. Replacing the power supply board or possibly just of few of its capacitors or the board's fuses may be enough to make the TV work again. Fuses and capacitors are cheap parts.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post
A big storm rolled through and blew out my mom's 2 tvs in her house.

This presents a weird, and unique problem for me. She's asking me for help on picking out the best ones she can get in her budget, and to be frank I haven't really kept up with TVs in general since "accidentally burning in your plasma screen" was an option.

So, I was wondering what you guys would recommend with these constraints:
Big tv for the front (current one is 42, no maximum size other than budget restraints)
Somewhat same size tv for back bedroom (current one is 48)
Total budget of around ~1700$ tops for both.
Warranties would be great.
Needs at LEAST 3 HDMI slots per tv.
Would prefer name brands but if you know an off brand that rocks, feel free to share.
Picture quality is the killer here. She has a surround sound system for both rooms, so she just wants the best looking pic she can get for the budget she has, since we mute the tv speakers for the surround sound setup.
She doesn't want a plasma. LED or LCD is fine though, no preference.

We have between us, a sam's club membership, and access to costco, best buy, and amazon prime.

Obviously we aren't expecting a 90" OLED 3d smart tv with wifi to fit in the budget, just looking for the "best" that can fit in there for them.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Chris
With your budget in mind check out a plasma TV , if picture quality is your most important aspect which it is for most people then for your budget I recommend a Panasonic ST60 it's a great set.You mention no Plasma but I would still recommend it to you , I personally don't like LCD. The colors washing out off angle, the black levels being grey , clouding issues, colors not being as vibrant you won't be disappointed with the ST60. However it's your money I don't have any LCD's to recommend. I do have a few tips.

When viewing a TV you should set the Picture Mode to Movie, Cinema or THX, please do not view the TV in Vivid, Standard or Sports these modes are made to grab your attention , they are overly bright, very blue, horrid colors, vivid colors yest but not accurate.. If you care about Picture quality and viewing your movies as the director intended then look into why tv's are not calibrated and what picture mode should be selected that is closest to industry standards. Do your research on this subject and you'll have a better understanding of what a proper image should look like. Make sure to view the TV in different lighting situations at the store if possible. .Plasmas are ideal for dark room viewing but still decent for bright room or day time. Black levels are darker on plasmas then on an LCD. LCD's do get brighter then Plasmas.

Last edited by hungro; 07-12-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post
With your budget in mind check out a plasma TV , if picture quality is your most important aspect which it is for most people then for your budget I recommend a Panasonic ST60 it's a great set. When viewing a TV you should set the picture in the Picture Mode that's closest to industry standards . In this case Cinema or THX. Do your research , check out reviews. Look into what it means to have your TV calibrated to industry standards so you know what I am talking about when I mention calibration and proper Picture Mode. View the TV in different lighting situations at the store .Plasmas are ideal for dark room viewing but still decent for bright room or day time. Black levels are darker on plasmas then on an LCD. LCD's do get brighter then Plasmas.
He said she does not want a plasma and the ST60s have been gone for at least 6 months.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page