$3,000+ Budget: PQ or Size???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$3,000+ Budget: PQ or Size????

Should I sacrifice PQ for a larger screen size???

I have a $3,000-$3,500 tv budget. I will also be buying a wall mount, geek squad protection plan and I need a new blu-ray player.

Uses: Nearly all movies. Netflix, Streaming rips(backups) from HTPC, BLU-Ray, DVD's and Fios HD TV movie channels.

The wife and I will be sitting on our couch approx. 12 feet from the screen. There are 3 windows to our left and 3 windows behind us.

We are still very interested in the Samsung PN64F8500, but after measuring it and putting the dimensions on the wall with blu painters tape it now seems a little too small despite it's awesome PQ.

We only care about PQ and motion, not so much about smart features or apps.

I have searched the threads and haven't come across any in my budget range or they have had a lower budget.

Anyone have any recommendations for tv's larger than 65" that have great excellent PQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan240g View Post
Should I sacrifice PQ for a larger screen size???

I have a $3,000-$3,500 tv budget. I will also be buying a wall mount, geek squad protection plan and I need a new blu-ray player.

Uses: Nearly all movies. Netflix, Streaming rips(backups) from HTPC, BLU-Ray, DVD's and Fios HD TV movie channels.

The wife and I will be sitting on our couch approx. 12 feet from the screen. There are 3 windows to our left and 3 windows behind us.

We are still very interested in the Samsung PN64F8500, but after measuring it and putting the dimensions on the wall with blue painters tape it now seems a little too small despite it's awesome PQ.

We only care about PQ and motion, not so much about smart features or apps.

I have searched the threads and haven't come across any in my budget range or they have had a lower budget.

Anyone have any recommendations for tv's larger than 65" that have great excellent PQ?
re tubetwisrer

Depends on just how much picture quality sacrifice we are talking here

The Sony XBR85X950B 85-Inch 4K is a little over your intended budget at $24,998.00
it does however qualify for free shipping at Amazon . They have a 65" XBR for $7,998.00.

Comparing picture quality to the f8500 Sammy there are Mostly middling LG, Sharp and Visio options in a 70" LCD within your budget.

*Some of these sets may be OK on their own * but they will not be in the f8500 or Sony 9x picture quality by a longshot

The pick of the litter in that space might be the Sony Model: KDL70W850B other than that I would look to the LG or Sharp and probably not even think about the Viseo.

*If you are talking picture quality close to that of the Sammy f8500 in an LCD in a large size *
or an LCD at all you might want to review your budget with the missus and add quite a few large

OTOH if you are adept at printing money there are more expensive options even well beyond the ones given here .
If you have a fresh batch (suitcase full of bills ) ready soon the new 79" LG OLED should be out soon. ☺

Perhaps a modest large screen Front projection set up within your budget ?.
TBH I don't know much about these or what quality /brightness you could expect without a suitcase full of money
they seem to run the gamut like the TV's and then some.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Once you go over 65" you may finding yourself either paying a huge premium or buying something with inferior picture quality. Going larger than 65" is big for a 1080p resolution television. I'd take better picture quality.
Raitzi and tubetwister like this.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Better picture quality any day of the week for me. Having a big screen that is somewhat mediocre will just make the experience worse than a smaller, better set.

ROB
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think you all are right. Just hope I can still find that PN64F8500 before there all gone in the next few weeks.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan240g View Post
I think you all are right. Just hope I can still find that PN64F8500 before there all gone in the next few weeks.
Good luck and it's a good set

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 07-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Picture quality is number one with this purchase then i recommend Samsung F8500 or a Panasonic ZT60 which are plasma sets, if they are still around. These TV's however don't do 4K, if that is a feature that is important to you right now , if not then the decision is narrowed down quite easily.
Keep in mind the Samsung while an excellent performer when it comes to picture quality has black level fluctuations where the black with certain scenes tends to fluctuate getting darker and brighter with content , this can be very distracting. Check out some reviews detailing this picture issue. The ZT 60 does not have this problem it's black level is steady and doesn't fluctuate. You might consider this before purchasing. Either tv is great though that could be a minor negative depending if it's something that bothers you. I think it's more visible in a dimmer type surrounding also when black level is set to Dark Room this get's the blacks looking deeper but at a cost as was mentioned above. Best of luck in your purchase do your research , reading reviews, viewing the actual TV using appropriate Picture Mode, in the Samsung's case Movie Mode , and Panasonic, Cinema or THX. This is the picture mode that represents the closest parameter for picture quality set by the industry . If you are not sure what that last bit is about like I said do some reading on what TV Calibration entails.
tubetwister and ChadThunder like this.

Last edited by hungro; 07-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well I got the PN64F8500. Looks beautiful after we got it hung on the wall. Can't wait to watch Inception on it. I also sprung fir a pair Ok B&W 686B to go with it. I already have Polk sub and a Denon avr-1912. Can't wait to get it all hooked up.

Gear in this thread - PN64F8500, by PriceGrabber.com