Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
BestBuy Magnolia Room OLED vs New LG 4k

The Fort Lauderdale Best buy's Magnolia room has a New LG 4k tv and an OLED tv running from the same source. For the past 3 months it's been the movie FROZEN. They wanted to stress out the blues in the OLED and see if the set suffered. They finally switched the movie to Pacific Rim. Some observations:

1) The first thing you notice is the OLED set seems to have better detail than the 4k LG set. Beards in the movie on the OLED set showed great detail. You could see the pores and the make-up errors. On the 4k Set you could see they had facial hair and what color it was but that was about it.

2) The OLED set image movement isn't smooth. Remember that old "Soap Opera" effect people used to talk about. It kinda reminded me of that. The people on the OLED moved way to realistically and they looked too lifelike. Odd that it would bother me but I guess i'm so used to seeing more LCD type 24p movement that I really noticed the OLED movement.

3) Obviously the colors on the OLED were much more vibrant and pleasing.

All these observations should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't set up either set. I didn't observe them being calibrated.

But if you are happy with 4K then I would suggest you not attempt to see a OLED next to a 4K TV.
Morning5 and 5x10 like this.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
The Fort Lauderdale Best buy's Magnolia room has a New LG 4k tv and an OLED tv running from the same source. For the past 3 months it's been the movie FROZEN. They wanted to stress out the blues in the OLED and see if the set suffered. They finally switched the movie to Pacific Rim. Some observations:

1) The first thing you notice is the OLED set seems to have better detail than the 4k LG set. Beards in the movie on the OLED set showed great detail. You could see the pores and the make-up errors. On the 4k Set you could see they had facial hair and what color it was but that was about it.

2) The OLED set image movement isn't smooth. Remember that old "Soap Opera" effect people used to talk about. It kinda reminded me of that. The people on the OLED moved way to realistically and they looked too lifelike. Odd that it would bother me but I guess i'm so used to seeing more LCD type 24p movement that I really noticed the OLED movement.

All these observations should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't set up either set. I didn't observe them being calibrated.

But if you are happy with 4K then I would suggest you not attempt to see a OLED next to a 4K TV.
I lived in Kansas, not far from a Nebraska Furniture Mart. They have every 4K tv mfr and model (Sony, Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc), LCD, and plasma. I went there to see the Sony 65x900b and 65x950b. They had a wall with five different 4K tvs. It's interesting that they kept the LG OLED away from the 4K tvs, they displayed entirely different feeds, was reluctant to play a blu-ray, and the salesman told me he thinks the color is off on the OLED. I had never seen an the LG OLED until that day but was hoping to one. I came away thinking I'd rather by the 1080p LG OLED then buy a Sony 4K (who btw charges $30 for each 4k movie over their proprietary box). I ended up buying the OLED which has caused my to stop watching my 60" Kuro 6010.
Morning5 and 5x10 like this.
post #3 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
I lived in Kansas, not far from a Nebraska Furniture Mart. They have every 4K tv mfr and model (Sony, Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc), LCD, and plasma. I went there to see the Sony 65x900b and 65x950b. They had a wall with five different 4K tvs. It's interesting that they kept the LG OLED away from the 4K tvs, they displayed entirely different feeds, was reluctant to play a blu-ray, and the salesman told me he thinks the color is off on the OLED. I had never seen an the LG OLED until that day but was hoping to one. I came away thinking I'd rather by the 1080p LG OLED then buy a Sony 4K (who btw charges $30 for each 4k movie over their proprietary box). I ended up buying the OLED which has caused my to stop watching my 60" Kuro 6010.
Visiting quite a large electrical store for the first time recently, I naturally made a bee-line for the TV section - hoping to get another look at the OLEDs if they had any.

I spotted a distinctive curve, headed towards it, and was appalled by the picture. It was terribly pale and washed out, with poor viewing angles compared to nearby sets. But then I realised that the set next to it, which was turned off, was the LG OLED. When I asked for it to be turned on the image was incredibly dynamic and striking. The comparative clunker next to it? The curved Samsung 4K LED.

I guess that pretty much counts as a blind taste test.

Desk
Morning5 likes this.
post #4 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Lets face it this is the first generation of a new technology.Its only going to get much better very soon so if I were you I would wait to see what shows up at CES in January.4K is wasted on LCD technology.
Morning5 likes this.

Matt
post #5 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I was very very disappointed when I finally got to see the 4k Sony and LGs next to the OLED. I was a big fan of the 4K TVs. But when you put them next to the OLEDs they look unimpressive.

So if you have a 4K TV in your home I think you will be very very happy. Just never buy an OLED. And what is with the Stores down talking the OLED sets. This bestbuy did it too. Very very negative.

More than likely I will end up with a midrange 4K TV before I can afford an OLED but if the price comes down significantly then OLED is where I would want to go.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fortunately, you will soon no longer have to choose between 4K (LCD) or 1080p (OLED).
post #7 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I haven't seen an OLED, but for technical reasons, and reviews, know this will be my next purchase when large affordable 4K OLEDs hit the market.

Probably the higher detail on the OLED had something to do with the high contrast, and virtual lack of blooming.

I went to see the 65 inch Sony 4K, full of expectation, and came away thinking it's a nice picture, but not spectacular. The image reminded me of the Sharp Elite I'd seen some years ago at the same store.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think the reason is very simple: BB get paid when either sell a lot of TVs or some maker pays it to setup an end cap for demo. At $5k retail price, the LG OLED isn't exactly flying out of shelf. But if you leave it turned on, you will ward off a lot of potential buyers who originally intended to buy those mass mover LED/LCD TVs when they compare those with the OLED.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I think the reason is very simple: BB get paid when either sell a lot of TVs or some maker pays it to setup an end cap for demo. At $5k retail price, the LG OLED isn't exactly flying out of shelf. But if you leave it turned on, you will ward off a lot of potential buyers who originally intended to buy those mass mover LED/LCD TVs when they compare those with the OLED.
Another way for BB to avoid the kind of problem you describe is to simply not have an OLED in the showrooms. Live in the Orlando metro area with roughly 1.5 million other people and only ONE BB in the entire area has an OLED on display!!!
post #10 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But OLED TV is a high margin product. If they happen to sell one, the gross profit margin on that one TV is around $2000+. They will have to sell probably 10 LED/LCD TVs to match that profitability.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:

First of all I my sure you can tell by my user name I am a Big fan of LG's OLED, however you should consider the following.

1. You compared the worst 4K set to the best contrast black level set manufactured.

2. A better way to judge Displays is by comparing best of the best and the actual distance you will sit from the screen.

3. The Sony 900B and 950B 4K sets will do much better against an OLED because of the incredible contrast of the OLED.

4. I am sitting 10 feet from my screen and comparing a Sony 65X900B 4K set to my OLED from this distance My eyes continued to want to watch the larger Sony 4K set. Home Theater is supposed to be an experience as close to the theater as possible. For me from 10' back 55" just does not do it anymore. OLED is a better picture but before jumping the gun and thinking it's the best choice, consider more than picture quality from standing right in front of them.

5. I love the OLED picture but not once was I immersed in the experience of watching a movie. The 65X900 gives me that experience, I fact I wish I had the 79" 900B or the 77" OLED.

Now 77" OLED priced to where a working stiff can afford one, that is a completely different story. Another thing is OLED's are not perfect, they cannot display an even color temperature across the entire screen watching a black and white movie. Not a big deal, but little things can be enjoying.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-08-2014 at 09:01 PM.
post #12 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Sit closer
vinnie_RIP likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Sit closer
Some living rooms are not setup to sit closer. What we need is 65" OLED's
Ph8te likes this.
post #14 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
First of all I my sure you can tell by my user name I am a Big fan of LG's OLED, however you should consider the following.

1. You compared the worst 4K set to the best contrast black level set manufactured.

2. A better way to judge Displays is by comparing best of the best and the actual distance you will sit from the screen.

3. The Sony 900B and 950B 4K sets will do much better against an OLED because of the incredible contrast of the OLED.

4. I am sitting 10 feet from my screen and comparing a Sony 65X900B 4K set to my OLED from this distance My eyes continued to want to watch the larger Sony 4K set. Home Theater is supposed to be an experience as close to the theater as possible. For me from 10' back 55" just does not do it anymore. OLED is a better picture but before jumping the gun and thinking it's the best choice, consider more than picture quality from standing right in front of them.

5. I love the OLED picture but not once was I immersed in the experience of watching a movie. The 65X900 gives me that experience, I fact I wish I had the 79" 900B or the 77" OLED.

Now 77" OLED priced to where a working stiff can afford one, that is a completely different story. Another thing is OLED's are not perfect, they cannot display an even color temperature across the entire screen watching a black and white movie. Not a big deal, but little things can be enjoying.
How far do you sit from the TV?
post #15 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's an interesting article about where we're at with 4K.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/new-4k-...tvs-fall-short

I don't know if it applies at all to the Sony 65 inch or the LG under discussion,
post #16 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I don't know if it applies at all to the Sony 65 inch or the LG under discussion,
Very interesting to see all this laid out so clearly. Thank you.

We're still three months out from the anticipated arrival of the 4K LG sets. I'll certainly be hoping to hear that they do meet all these specifications, so as to avoid any potential doubt about future compatibility.

Desk

Last edited by Desk.; 07-09-2014 at 10:15 AM.
post #17 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:

I find it interesting a lot of these professional articles do not make the distinction between "4k" and UHD which are actually two different things. For me it discredits the article as they don't know what they're talking about.

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-09-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #18 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
How far do you sit from the TV?
You could read the post you quoted and find the answer to your question.
post #19 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
I find it interesting a lot of these professional articles do not make the distinction between "4k" and UHD which are actually two different things. For me it discredits the article as they don't know what they're talking about.
They mentioned that in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Hi*Fi
Also mentioned was the ongoing battle between 4K and Ultra HD, with the CEA suggesting the terms can still be used interchangeably: "The terms Ultra High-Definition, Ultra HD or UHD may be used in conjunction with other modifiers, for example, Ultra High-Definition TV 4K."
post #20 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
They mentioned that in the article.
Ya, I guess that makes it just even more confusing. 4k != UHD

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #21 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
By all means, the real "4k" has no meaning or relate to anything what so ever in the consumer electronics market. It is only internally used in studios and broadcasting stations. Try to differentiate "4K" and UHD will just confuse average consumers even more.
post #22 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ya, I guess that makes it just even more confusing. 4k != UHD
More important than a minor concession to reality on the ground, and marketing regarding the term that should be used, is that the organization is beginning to insist on standards. That's a good thing.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Isn't "4K" a patent of Sony? And Ultra HD being the general term for anything 4x the normal Full HD?
post #24 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm fairly disappointed in the lack of reasonably priced top tier displays above 65". I won't downsize for better picture quality. I'm holding out for a $4000ish price on a 75"-84" size. Might be a few years unfortunately.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
More important than a minor concession to reality on the ground, and marketing regarding the term that should be used, is that the organization is beginning to insist on standards. That's a good thing.
This is good news...

My guess is it's already too late. Like the Samsung "LED" TV debacle; I think the cat is already out of the bag. I'm sure you know how this goes; say it wrong the 1st time and *that* is what everyone remembers. No one remembers what you said immediately after correcting yourself.

-SiGGy
post #26 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is good news...

My guess is it's already too late. Like the Samsung "LED" TV debacle; I think the cat is already out of the bag. I'm sure you know how this goes; say it wrong the 1st time and *that* is what everyone remembers. No one remembers what you said immediately after correcting yourself.
I don't think it's too late. Standardization will probably be driven (somewhat) initially by the new HDMI requirements.

And there is a reason for manufacturers to agree on standards, if only to protect their interests down the line.

To me the article is a cautionary tale about being the first to buy new technology, unless you have lots of mobney lying around,

Last edited by taichi4; 07-09-2014 at 12:20 PM.
post #27 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think it's too late. Standardization will probably begin with the new HDMI requirements.
And there is a reason for manufacturers to agree on standards, if only to protect their interests.

To me the article is a cautionary tale about being the first to buy new technology, unless you have lots of miney lying around,
Ya, the standards will be great. I don't think it's too late for them.

But the misconception that UHD == 4K is already out there... It's too late on that one. I mean how many people still think "LED" TV's are a different technology than LCD?

Ya, I agree. It reminds me of my 1st HDTV back in 2002; it was all firewire based We know how that worked out. Lucky it also had a component input.

-SiGGy
post #28 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ya, the standards will be great. I don't think it's too late for them.

But the misconception that UHD == 4K is already out there... It's too late on that one. I mean how many people still think "LED" TV's are a different technology than LCD?...
4K will likely trump UHD, because it's "snappier."
But 4K better describes the cinema standards of 4096 x 2160, while UHD seems more accurate for the home consumer's experience of 3840 X 2160.
But snappy will prevail.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Some living rooms are not setup to sit closer. What we need is 65" OLED's
thats why i put my oled in the smaller game room, and kept the 65' in the living room
agree with 65'+ oleds, would love a 77 to replace my 65 panny

not sure i will make the jumo from a 65 plasma to a 70' 4k lcd, would have to be 75'+ to make the jump and would also need to be affordable
and even then, there would have to be a considerable amount of content or some spectacular upscaling engines as my OLED has really shown me the limitations of current content(comparing the PQ of a blu ray vs tv,cable,dish,etc)
post #30 of 31 Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

By same source, I assume they were both playing 1080 content. Not really the best way to judge a UHD TV. It's like testing a HDTV with SD content.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - 65X900B by PriceGrabber.com