post #271 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
didnt the samsung have distortion issues when being viewed from the side?
CNET said that the curve greatly distorted the picture, even sitting at the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
No samsung oled parts might be a slight worry tho
Little to no talk on the old, discontinued Samsung OLED's . I have a hunch that they are not perfect either..........

If I bought a Samsung OLED I would get a extended warranty, I bet there are no parts.......
vaktmestern likes this.
post #273 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Little to no talk on the old, discontinued Samsung OLED's . I have a hunch that they are not perfect either..........

If I bought a Samsung OLED I would get a extended warranty, I bet there are no parts.......
You are so correct, they probably sold less than 50 units in the United States.
post #274 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
didnt the samsung have distortion issues when being viewed from the side? Also, doesnt it have the issue of the blue pixels dying at twice the rate of the Red and green?
Also, you will not have the ability to return or exchange the tv
but, you will be able to view your gray slides with a piece of mind

i understand the quest for perfection, but i think its unfair to expect any set to be able to deliver it
first year oled provides unmatched pq, sure its has its flaws, but compared to the competition, it really is like finding a flaw with a supermodel
not many of us are going to focus on her mole
All excellent points.
post #275 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Too be honest if I never joined this forum I would have never found one issue with the 2013 OLED. It's like going out with a Super Model than your buddy says, "she chews with her mouth open". You might have never noticed.

The 2013 lg OLED is incredibly good.
post #276 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon Sold Out of the first 6 sets, not bad.
post #277 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I personal would wait 3weeks to se what Ifa 2014 brings out before ordering a tv. Avf belives Samsung wont sit n look at Lg owning tbe Oled tv marked... They might be suprises on the show...
Rf13 likes this.
post #278 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I personal would wait 3weeks to se what Ifa 2014 brings out before ordering a tv. Avf belives Samsung wont sit n look at Lg owning tbe Oled tv marked... They might be suprises on the show...
Never hurts to wait but i have zero patience. I cannot hardly wait until next week.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #279 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Too be honest if I never joined this forum I would have never found one issue with the 2013 OLED. It's like going out with a Super Model than your buddy says, "she chews with her mouth open". You might have never noticed.

The 2013 lg OLED is incredibly good.
And that is why after I buy my OLED, I will be temporarily checking out from this forum. It creates insecurities and anxieties that may otherwise be unnoticed. I have made many returns, modifications and repairs for trivial stuff that I stumbled on the boards and found myself at peace upon ignoring forums after I bought my Panny Plasma years ago.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #280 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No tv ever been perfect. 980 has a fantastic picture n good 3D
post #281 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yep, Amazon moved those 6 units quickly. I checked today around 10:00am before going to Best Buy and they had 3 left. By the time I left Best Buy they had sold out and went back to 3 to 5 weeks. I bought mine at Best Buy, only because I'm buying this sight unseen, which means there is a fair chance I might need to return it. Picking it up next week! While Amazon does stand behind their products, they don't pay for return shipping unless an item is defective. I'd rather not pay return shipping on a TV. I got BB to knock $150 off the price which means the tax is a wash.

If I love this EC9300 I wont be back here I can tell you that. If there is something wrong with the TV and I don't notice it, I don't want it pointed out to me. I had a similar recent experience buying my latest SUV. If you love something, don't hop on a forum about it because you will quickly hate it.

I did see the OLED's in Vegas as CES 2012 and 2013. Looked damn impressive. But of course it wasn't real content either, just some demo loop. Easy to hide defects when you get to pick what it's displaying. I don't remember looking at the 55" model at the last CES, they were showing off the 65 and 75 4K OLED's.
vaktmestern likes this.

LG 55EC9300 + 2x 55EA8800 OLED + Sony 65XBR850A
Denon X5200W + Oppo BDP-103D
Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 40/30/FX + Rhythmik FV15HP
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX2 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Monitor Audio ASB-2 + Oppo BDP-103

Last edited by OneStepAhead; 08-13-2014 at 12:26 PM.
post #282 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats look looking vs user views on this new tv
post #283 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
[...]but I believe LG's fix for blue sub-pixels and longevity might be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Also Samsung's Blue pixel may have shorter life than LG's WRGB approach.
Still unclear. Keep in mind that the original blue OLED wear curve has been considered solved by both manufacturers. The LG case is less obvious: the blue and yellow layer work together---according to the kodak patents and white papers we researched to death years ago, the wearing of the blue actually throttles down the yellow layer itself. Note, the yellow is listed both as "yellow" and as "red/green".

In the case of Samsung, apparently their approach has been to over size the blue sub and drive it proportionately less. This would theoretically push the wear curve upward to better match the red. Here is a close up of the subs in the S9C:

While this has proven a tougher way to achieve manufacturing yields, I have better faith in this technique. Direct spectral emitters conceptually trump a broad stacked emitters with a filter on top throwing away light to me.

A cursory explanation of these approaches is here: http://www.oled-info.com/samsungs-kn...b-pixel-design
David_B and 5x10 like this.

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"
post #284 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Still unclear. Keep in mind that the original blue OLED wear curve has been considered solved by both manufacturers. The LG case is less obvious: the blue and yellow layer work together---according to the kodak patents and white papers we researched to death years ago, the wearing of the blue actually throttles down the yellow layer itself. Note, the yellow is listed both as "yellow" and as "red/green".

In the case of Samsung, apparently their approach has been to over size the blue sub and drive it proportionately less. This would theoretically push the wear curve upward to better match the red. Here is a close up of the subs in the S9C:

While this has proven a tougher way to achieve manufacturing yields, I have better faith in this technique. Direct spectral emitters conceptually trump a broad stacked emitters with a filter on top throwing away light to me.

A cursory explanation of these approaches is here: http://www.oled-info.com/samsungs-kn...b-pixel-design
Thank you for the interesting info, tgm. The blue pixel seems to be 2x the red and green ones. If a normal sized blue pixel had a life of 50%, perhaps 2x the size of a normal one means 100% life - or the same life than the non problematic red and green pixels.
post #285 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman425 View Post
And that is why after I buy my OLED, I will be temporarily checking out from this forum. It creates insecurities and anxieties that may otherwise be unnoticed. I have made many returns, modifications and repairs for trivial stuff that I stumbled on the boards and found myself at peace upon ignoring forums after I bought my Panny Plasma years ago.
I have been guilty of joining in, I am trying to think before my post. This would be a great forum if we all tried a little harder. And yes I am not innocent either. Sometimes we read peoples post as attacks (I have done this too many times) then we attack back until we get our hand slapped. I am sure if we were all sitting around a room drinking a bear or having a coffee with the same discussions, we would not take things so personal.
Yappadappadu likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-13-2014 at 05:46 PM.
post #286 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 180
This forum is entertaining, always gives me a good laugh or too. Vegas lets say you see issues with the second Gen set you still have to admit its worlds better even with the problems then everything else out there. I had a panasonic VT50 and the uniformity and IR was terrible on the set and my F8500 the IR is even worse. When I owned my Kuro 141 I had some dead pixels and did not even see them how does everyone see these dead pixels I mean they are so small. All in all problems or not I would take my OLED's over all the other sets I have owned something about that contrast just makes me smile and the picture just looks so smooth.
post #287 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post
This forum is entertaining, always gives me a good laugh or too. Vegas lets say you see issues with the second Gen set you still have to admit its worlds better even with the problems then everything else out there. I had a panasonic VT50 and the uniformity and IR was terrible on the set and my F8500 the IR is even worse. When I owned my Kuro 141 I had some dead pixels and did not even see them how does everyone see these dead pixels I mean they are so small. All in all problems or not I would take my OLED's over all the other sets I have owned something about that contrast just makes me smile and the picture just looks so smooth.
Using scales of 1 to 10, (10 being no imaginable improvement --- give or take), can you rate your F8000, Kuro, and OLED for motion handling alone? Thanks!

post #288 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM

OLED motion 7
F8500 motion 9
Kuro motino 9.5

I watch a lot of sports and sports without question to me is most enjoyable on the plasma sets I have owned but just watching a blu ray movie I would take the OLED but like I said before without Plasma tech I would have never been able to appreciate any of the display techs
tgm1024 likes this.
post #289 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The only way to see the dead sub-pixels is with a slide. When I purchase my OLED I found it perfect then people were talking about sub-pixels and slides and finally I downloaded the slides and started to find every small pimple I could until i became so OCD, I almost couldn't like any display. Than the IR post went on for weeks and weeks. Owning an OLED has been an adventure.
post #290 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM

however the improvement from the 1st GEN OLED to the 2nd GEN I do not believe will be much at all on a scale of 1-10 maybe 7.2 lol i really just do not see a big change in the new products and I do not say this because I have the 1st generation production because I will be purchasing a 65inch OLED when they come available but realistically since they are the only company doing it right now there is no real need to improve the sets to much they just want to make the tech cheaper for mainstream until other companies come to battle, I can't honestly see the models changing much.
5x10 likes this.
post #291 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
The only way to see the dead sub-pixels is with a slide. When I purchase my OLED I found it perfect then people were talking about sub-pixels and slides and finally I downloaded the slides and started to find every small pimple I could until i became so OCD, I almost couldn't like any display. Than the IR post went on for weeks and weeks. Owning an OLED has been an adventure.
yes this forum will take you for a roller coaster ride to hell and back! None the less its been fun and I will never run slides ever ever because I too would become obsessed so I can't really blame you for the obsession because when you own an OLED you really do want perfection but in the real world we can not get it and we need to live with some of the issues with the tech because we are early adopters and this comes with the territory.
post #292 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OLED motion 7
F8500 motion 9
Kuro motino 9.5

I watch a lot of sports and sports without question to me is most enjoyable on the plasma sets I have owned but just watching a blu ray movie I would take the OLED but like I said before without Plasma tech I would have never been able to appreciate any of the display techs
Interesting. Keep this ranking in mind with your next OLED if there is one. For the most part it is generally accepted that there are two factors involved in motion issues: persistence and GtG. OLED of course excels at GtG, but the overall brightness apparently is not yet bright enough to manage an impulse (pulse) style motion handling. This overall brightness (including the degree to which the ABL kicks in) is one of the things I'm keeping an eye on with later generations.

post #293 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
however the improvement from the 1st GEN OLED to the 2nd GEN I do not believe will be much at all on a scale of 1-10 maybe 7.2 lol i really just do not see a big change in the new products and I do not say this because I have the 1st generation production because I will be purchasing a 65inch OLED when they come available but realistically since they are the only company doing it right now there is no real need to improve the sets to much they just want to make the tech cheaper for mainstream until other companies come to battle, I can't honestly see the models changing much.

With the competition OLED is facing from LED/LCD, they need to improve in three areas (in addition to closing the price gap):

Near-dark greyscale uniformity
Motion handling (refresh rate / black frame insertion)
Quality, reliability, and ease-of-use (no failing pixels, no IR, etc...)

OLED has a significant edge in the areas of black level, infinite-contrast, and off-angle viewing performance but each of those three above issues detracts from that superiority.
post #294 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
With the competition OLED is facing from LED/LCD, they need to improve in three areas (in addition to closing the price gap):

Near-dark greyscale uniformity
Motion handling (refresh rate / black frame insertion)
Quality, reliability, and ease-of-use (no failing pixels, no IR, etc...)

OLED has a significant edge in the areas of black level, infinite-contrast, and off-angle viewing performance but each of those three above issues detracts from that superiority.
The general public could care less about grey scale uniformity when you go to the store they do not play slides they play the content that is best able to sell the display. The television market is very big and this community is really small in the scale of it all we may want better motion and better uniformity, but if LG continues to lower the prices of OLED the average consumer will purchase OLED over LCD if the prices become close because its the new thing just like 4K, consumers love big numbers and when the prices drop and can almost compete with 1080p sets consumers will purchase more 4k sets.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #295 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Technical Details

• Brand Name: LG
  • Model: 55EC9300
  • Display Technology: OLED
  • Display Size: 55 inches
  • Image Aspect Ratio: 16:09
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Refresh Rate: 999 Hz
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...productDetails
post #296 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I have tried them all and can tell you the truth is the 65900B is an absolutely incredible TV. After watching the Sharp x1 FALD the last few days I could only imagine how good the Sharp Elite is and the LG 79" 4K set has the best color I have ever seen. So I agree the pressure is on OLED and I prefer OLED because a 55" works for me but any of the above TV's and several others like the Sony HX950 are so incredible I cannot blame anyone for going with these other sets.
post #297 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Rumor is Samsung has reduced their RGB OLED method to a 2 step process and have greatly increase yields. However, it will probably be at least a year or two until they get to mass production. I still am not sure if OLED will be a mass consumer product instead of a niche product, but these latest sign are encouraging. Just wish we get more factory news and production line news. After years of being told OLED was right around the corner, it may finally be true.
post #298 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Technical Details

• Brand Name: LG
  • Model: 55EC9300
  • Display Technology: OLED
  • Display Size: 55 inches
  • Image Aspect Ratio: 16:09
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Refresh Rate: 999 Hz
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...productDetails
They're confusing refresh rate with "response time" (GtG)....this happens from time to time elsewhere too.

post #299 of 523 Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
The general public could care less about grey scale uniformity when you go to the store they do not play slides they play the content that is best able to sell the display. The television market is very big and this community is really small in the scale of it all we may want better motion and better uniformity, but if LG continues to lower the prices of OLED the average consumer will purchase OLED over LCD if the prices become close because its the new thing just like 4K, consumers love big numbers and when the prices drop and can almost compete with 1080p sets consumers will purchase more 4k sets.

The 3 points I listed were not intended to say what will cause consumers to pick out an OLD in the store, but rather to keep it once they get their new OLED home. If grey scale uniformity and motion handling are never visibly inferior to LED/LCD when being watched in a home environment, I agree with you they are nothing to be too worried about. But if they are visible, and if they do cause customers for a premium TV to feel they are not get the picture quality they expected when they picked the OLED out on the showroom floor, that will be a problem. For at least the next couple of years, LGs customers are going to be pretty much limited to high-end videophiles.

Once OLEDs are the less expensive option, it will be a different ballgame entirely, and I fully agree that neither near-black uniformity nor motion handling will work (OLED is already at the level of 60Hz LCDs), but it will be a long time before OLED prices get down below LED/LCD levels and in the meantime, LG is going to have to sell their higher-priced OLEDs on the promise that they will deliver a superior picture to the video connoisseur in the home environment.
post #300 of 523 Old 08-14-2014, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hey, here's a wild idea..

Instead of lamenting and speculating on the possible limitations LG OLED sets might have in terms of motion, refresh rates, response times and whether they have the necessary brightness for black frame insertion, why not wait just two days until we see for definite what the Gen 2 sets are capable of delivering in these areas?

I know, I know - that's a ridiculous proposal.

Desk
StinDaWg likes this.

Last edited by Desk.; 08-14-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - 55EC9300 by PriceGrabber.com