AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LG 55EC9300 55" OLED Anticipation thread

53K views 522 replies 72 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 ·
Since it's now being listed as 'Usually ships within 3 to 5 weeks' at Amazon and 'New Item, Available for pre-order' at B&H, it's just a matter of time before this first of the Gen-2 LG WOLEDs has owners here on the Forum: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EC9300-55-Inch-1080p/dp/B00KZER5GS?tag=viglink20246-20

Amazon lists the 55EC9300 as having 'Refresh Rate: 240Hz (Native); Ultra Clarity Index : 1500 (Effective)' so it appears LG has made a significant improvement in native refresh rate and probably also introduced some kind of impulse mode for further reduction of pixel ON time (and corresponding S&H-based motion blur).

In addition the Title for the 55EC9300 on Amazon says: 'LG Electronics 55EC9300 55-Inch 1080p 999Hz 3D OLED TV' so this may imply an impulse-mode / black frame insertion that reduces pixel ON time to as little as 25% (~1ms pixel ON time @ 240Hz refresh).

Lastly, while the MSRP is listed as $7000, the prelaunch discount of $2000 translates into an introductory street price of $5000 - about where the Gen-1 55EA9800 was priced 6 months ago.

Since Plague seems to have become fed-up with his Gen-1 55EA9800, which I believe he effectively paid about $5000 for, I'll be the first to suggest that he try to organize a swap for a 55EC9300 as soon as his TV retailer has some in stock.

For the rest of us mere mortals, I'll be interested in first user reviews once someone has gotten ahold of one of these Gen-2 WOLEDs. The upgrade in motion resolution appears to be significant and I am hoping it is matched by similar upgrades in the areas of IR, pixel lifetime, and near-black greyscale uniformity.

My prediction is that the 55EC9300 will be selling for ~$4000 as soon as the M2 production line ramps up to volume, possibly in as little as 2-3 months from now, and that the 55EC9300 will be available for ~$3000 by the year-end holiday shopping season.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Found this in the manual:

"-If a fixed image displays on the TV screen for a long period of time, it will be imprinted and become a permanent disfigurement on the screen. This is image burn or burn-in and not covered by the warranty.

-If the aspect ratio of the TV is set to 4:3 for a long period of time, image burn may occur on the letterboxed area of the screen.

-Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time (1 or more hours for OLED). to prevent image burn.

-Preventing Screen Burn
Displaying still images, such as a station’s logo, subtitle, screen menu, video game or computer screen, for a long time may damage the screen, causing screen burn which can remain for a long time or never disappear. Do not display still images for over an hour."

#3 ·
That screen burn nonsense in the manual has nothing to do with OLED per say. It's in all LGs manuals, including their LCD TVs, plasma TVs, etc.

Always thought that they would be using BFI in the next gen OLED, and still not sure why the 1st gen didn't have BFI as well. Could be the rumor of significant increase in brightness for gen 2?

Who cares about 55" 1080p anyway, bring on the 4k sets already. 77" for under 10 0000 please.

#12 ·
That screen burn nonsense in the manual has nothing to do with OLED per say. It's in all LGs manuals, including their LCD TVs, plasma TVs, etc.
Although that might be true, it's unwise to remove the 'cautionary sign' for the potential for IR or, perhaps to a lesser degree, burn-in from OLED. We know for a fact that they are very susceptible to IR. The jury is still out on burn-in.

But let's be fair, OLEDs are far more prone to IR than any LCD and 'may' be more prone to burn-in than plasma.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah my LG LCD says the same thing in my user manual. So fafrd I dont think its good to use those big and black letters, its nothing new, and might create confusion.

Well the LG EC9300 OLED has a 10-bit panel that might help in the uneven grays.

Also I read that the EC9300 comes with 500cd brightness vs the 350cd of the EA9700-9800.

As a gamer Im a bit worried the extra hz and motion technologies of the EC9300 adds some flickering to the picture, like the scanning backlight on my LG LCD LED. Well if game mode disables all those motion technologies I will have no issues.

#8 ·
Yeah my LG LCD says the same thing in my user manual. So fafrd I dont think its good to use those big and black letters, its nothing new, and might create confusion.

Well the LG EC9300 OLED has a 10-bit panel that might help in the uneven grays.

Also I read that the EC9300 comes with 500cd brightness vs the 350cd of the EA9700-9800.

As a gamer Im a bit worried the extra hz and motion technologies of the EC9300 adds some flickering to the picture, like the scanning backlight on my LG LCD LED. Well if game mode disables all those motion technologies I will have no issues.

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll go back and remove the bold and underlining from the earlier post (though in the other LG manuals I had seen, I didn't think I saw the explicit limitation to 1 hour...).

Where did you see the reference to brightness specifications? Was it in a review or a formal spec somewhere? The specs on LGs website including the user manual are very sparse and do not include brightness that I could see.

500 Nit reduced to 25% would result in 125 Nit, just above the target brightness for dark-room viewing of 120 Nit, so that would be very doable.

Was the 55EA9800 a 60Hz native refresh panel with a 50% impulse-mode (120Hz Effective Refresh Rate)? If so, the 55EC9300 represents 8X the motion resolution of the 55EA9800 (or 2X the motion resolution when Motion Interpolation is disabled).

#7 ·
Yes you can. You just have to wait a few months till the current model is "discontinued" and request a swap for the current equivalent model. I've done this before, and if you escalate it past tier 1 tech support, you can get it done as soon as the new model comes out.

That's why I never freak out about "issues" that are within the warranty period, as I've always gotten serviced. :) You just have to know how to talk with customer service ;)

#21 ·
It's a good list overall but I don't understand what the Samsung OLED is doing there. The F8500 Plasma will be out of production soon but is still an available product and was last year's winner, so I have no problem with the F8500 being on the list, but what is the point of including a product which is out of production and not available (the Samsung KN55S9 OLED)????

#43 ·
Like plasma, OLED's will always be subject to burn-in. Also like plasma, they will eventually have a long enough lifetime that most consumers wont have to worry about it.

While we have seen the letterbox IR, have we actually seen burn-in in the wild? The Harrod's unit was terrible but it doesnt seem like anybody has reported anything similar by a customer.

#48 ·
^^^ Its not like you have to be real careful, mix up your content, never have an issue.....

We have had "0" complaints on burn in so far, hope it stays that way......

#49 ·
What does "0" mean? Usually when people put something in quotes like that it assigns different meaning to the word. Anything from a slightly different meaning to the opposite. For example, if I say. He's a real "funny" guy. It means he's not funny, at least not in the traditional definition or understanding of funny. Then again, maybe you're just angling for an appearance on The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" quotation marks. :p

Which reminds me... I saw a sign on the side of the road a few months back where someone was selling a "new" mattress. I'm not sure I want to know what that means.

#54 · (Edited)
LG puts warnings on all of their panels about burn in, let's face it some people do stupid things that add to a potential issue. I have watched about 500 hours on OLED's and have not had any issues. I do not use slides or maintenance I just turn on the OLED and enjoy it.

I have seen much worse IR on the Panasonic plasmas. No actual verified burn-in has been shown to have occurred this does not mean be reckless and leave a paused screen on over night.

All the negative people 1st attacked OLED for being curved, then all the reviews came out and stated, not e big factor either way. So then the naysayers jumped on the burn-in IR band wagon. Mean while LCD owners continue to spend thousands of dollars on out dated technology complaining about Blooming, banding, DSE, clouding just to name a few. While OLED owners continue to enjoy truly next generation technology.

Long live OLED and I cannot wait to see 4K OLED very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.