Official Lineup for 2014 Value Electronics TV Shootout Announced - Page 12 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 264Likes

post #331 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
honestly they should focus on HDR and other things to actually improve overall PQ first before increasing resolution again. (quote edited for brevity).
Agree

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
honestly they should focus on HDR and other things to actually improve overall PQ first before increasing resolution again. it seems like just an easy way for them to make money without making any real innovations. oled excluded i still would like to see LCD improve despite its inherent weakness.
That's a huge claim of laziness as the reason technology has not advanced.

Vs practical applications in an affordable manufactured process on a consistent basis.

I think there is a lot to it.
post #333 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
That's a huge claim of laziness as the reason technology has not advanced.

Vs practical applications in an affordable manufactured process on a consistent basis.

I think there is a lot to it.
the fact that vizio presented a set at ces with HDR and it was cable of rec of producing 98% of rec 2020, signals they're being a bit lazy or they're not letting all the features out at once. the thing that wouldn't surprise me is when the others turn around and charge a premium for something all 2014 sets should have come with along with 4k. i know the R series isn't released yet, but if it does it will be the only set this year with those features. we can also see they've already cut cost look at what prices are at right now compared to last year things have certainly changed. the x9 already at 3500
post #334 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Additionally, the size requirements seemed to rule out some TV's. I'd like to see it 65" (consumer focused) and above as opposed to 84". Won't people who have a larger than 65" opt for a projector at that point?

I don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I agree. I think they would have been better-served focusing on 65" for both the 4K and 1080p sets. But too late now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Some people want a larger than 65" screen, but don't want the bother of a totally darkened room, day and night. That's just one reason why they'd prefer direct view over FP.

Additionally, some people prefer the look of direct view TVs as opposed to FP.

I'm guilty on both counts.
Just go check those large flat panels (70-90") and you might prefer one over a front projector. ...I do.
tubetwister likes this.
post #335 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I would guess the biggest reason for the larger than 65" LCD TVs is to get the most impact from UHD content, there isn't a whole lot at 65" and smaller. And like I said earlier, resolution may weigh in more heavily in the final score at those sizes.
You mister, got that one right!
tubetwister likes this.
post #336 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
the fact that vizio presented a set at ces with HDR and it was cable of rec of producing 98% of rec 2020, signals they're being a bit lazy or they're not letting all the features out at once. the thing that wouldn't surprise me is when the others turn around and charge a premium for something all 2014 sets should have come with along with 4k. i know the R series isn't released yet, but if it does it will be the only set this year with those features. we can also see they've already cut cost look at what prices are at right now compared to last year things have certainly changed. the x9 already at 3500

I think you may be confusing Rec.2020 with DCI color space. The Vizio reference Series covers 80% of Rec.2020: http://televisions.reviewed.com/feat...ference-series

"I spoke extensively with John Hwang, Senior Product Manager of Vizio's TV division. He revealed that while the Reference Series does not cover the entire Rec. 2020 color space, it does hit about 80%—which, if true, is a great start. The Reference Series should also be capable of 800 nits of light output, enough to meet minimum specifications for HDR."

And I believe I have also seen the Reference Series referred to as covering 98% of DCI color space (which is pretty much the same-sized color gamut as 80% of Rec.2020).

"
post #337 of 538 Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I think you may be confusing Rec.2020 with DCI color space. The Vizio reference Series covers 80% of Rec.2020: http://televisions.reviewed.com/feat...ference-series

"I spoke extensively with John Hwang, Senior Product Manager of Vizio's TV division. He revealed that while the Reference Series does not cover the entire Rec. 2020 color space, it does hit about 80%—which, if true, is a great start. The Reference Series should also be capable of 800 nits of light output, enough to meet minimum specifications for HDR."

And I believe I have also seen the Reference Series referred to as covering 98% of DCI color space (which is pretty much the same-sized color gamut as 80% of Rec.2020).

"
yes you're correct i mixed them up
post #338 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Sky
Just go check those large flat panels (70-90") and you might prefer one over a front projector. ...I do.NorthSky
Have you Seen the new $8 large 79" Sony 9x ( XBR-79x900B ) I believe it has a reworked LGD panel ,with expanded color + TRILUMINOS display and X-tended Dynamic Range for up to 2x brightness range !
Sony claims more brilliant expanded color with TRILUMINOS ™ display and all .....supposed to B better than LG TV same size , some folks around here like it ! One of those would be cool at the V.E. shootout !

$24 large Sony 85"(85x950B) they are having at the V.E.thing is - CMO (V850DK1-KD1) - 120Hz
(Chimei Innolux Opto electronics panel -or maybe they just call it Innolux now -but the part number is CMO ) it's different from re worked LGD panel in Sony 79" (maybe not as bright ? ) or it could even be a brighter VA panel ?

Additional $16 large for 85" over $8 large 79"ain't worth 6" of screen to me ! hafta be foolish or bank to take the 85" over the 79"

Vegasoled likes them ........... That's as good as Bank if you know what I mean (they don't call him oled for nothing around here ) .....He says it's real bright and full of video goodness ! Wouldent mind getting lucky on a timley short sell off mmmmmmmmmm ?

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2014 at 10:16 AM.
post #339 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
With all these problems with OLED's, I think I will just keep my 500M until it kicks the dust, that is if Dolby Vision doesn't save the day...

Maybe we have our hopes on the wrong technology here, maybe Dolby Vision might be our future right now... I'm going wait and see...
post #340 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 774
^^^

can we move on please?

thread cleanup
Yappadappadu and Rf13 like this.

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle

Last edited by markrubin; 08-06-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #341 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
I'm not surprised that Panasonic declined in light of their LCD performance last year was horrendous - it viewed as the worst in the competition.

One problem I've observed with this competition viewing it many years is the audience is heavily laden with overwhelming Plasma Bias by attendee's, AVS Members, calibrators. Last year they tried to be fairer by having a small portion (a session) with daylight viewing comparisons that was a token 60 minutes or so to modestly appease LCD owners out of a two day competition. Wow a whole 60 minutes out of two days.

For those of us LIVING with daytime brightness as a reality a PLASMA is CRAP no matter how it performs in that Shootout and I would not accept one for free - I live in a luxury resort with a million dollar lake and botanical gardens view out my doorwalls in back and at the front and so I'm not about to put up drapes to pander to a plasma like I'm in a cave or trailer.

So, Robert now that plasma is DEAD how about selling and comparing strengths of LCD instead of it's weakness and true factual weakness of plasma in such environs after all you have no more revenue to be gained clinging to a tombstone.

My bet is on OLED to win even before they do 4K based upon the numerous 5 star reviews internationally on the LG as Reference models.

Too bad Sharp 70UD27 is about a month away and likely no-show as UD1 gets phased out, a panel that virtually gets no discussion on this forum though on Amazon owners rave about it and is one of the only matte screens available any longer.

Vizio P/Ref - MIA
Panasonic AX900 - MIA
Sharp 60/70UD27 - MIA
LG 4K 65" OLED - MIA
Samsung has been rumored they may have a new OLED before years end.

Above we have the makings for a November Shootout.
Sounds like you have deep pockets. If that is the case you could import a 70UD20 from Japan with the MothEye screen to finally solve your bright room problem. They go for around $5-6K. However, out the four you listed I think the LG 65 4K OLED would be the best.
post #342 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I haven't checked for the panel information on any of the sony 950 series TV's but I know there are at least two different panels used for the 850b series. The 70x850b panel designation is YD4Y700LNXO 0101. Can anybody desipher that into meaningful information?
post #343 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Sounds like you have deep pockets. If that is the case you could import a 70UD20 from Japan with the MothEye screen to finally solve your bright room problem. They go for around $5-6K. However, out the four you listed I think the 65 LG OLED would be the best.
OTOH if brother westa6969 is major bank and all he cold maybe break bread for the 85" Sony $24large 85x950B
after all living large with a Million dollar lake and flower garden out the back patio slider can't be cheap
the $24 large Sony just might be a good fit if it can pump out some death ray lumens and all !

ofc like you say a smaller 65 LG OLED (if it materializes ) might be the happening in that crib also !
Somehow I can't see dude with a pee reference Vizio or anything Vizio know what I mean ?

I'm curios to see the hard contrast and lumen or cd/m2 measurements on the grande 85" Sony
and whether that Phatt 85" CMO panel is a VA panel or IPS ,and number of active dimming zones nothing to stop LGD from licencing the IPS business ,=.
in in fact I think AUO scored some of that love for one or more of the Sony 8.5 or 9x sets. Might a got from andy sullivan ?☺☺☺
bighulk Sony is supposed to be buffed with 3x brightness and FALD!

Grande Sony is over my budget but probably drool worthy none the less !

Think I'm gonna get up outta here for a minute for some of aunt Bees's cookies and a glass of milk

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #344 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I haven't checked for the panel information on any of the sony 950 series TV's but I know there are at least two different panels used for the 850b series. The 70x850b panel designation is YD4Y700LNXO 0101. Can anybody decipher that into meaningful information?
Didn't some one say those 9x 70" had Samsung SPVA-2 panels or something or maybe it was 8 or 8.5x I can't remember ?, the 65 8/9x is different maybe AUO (T650QVN01.0) - 120Hz or maybe an LGD S-IPS ? he never got back with us with a link or any verification like I asked though he just made a snot nosed comment about poor color or something like that on the xx70 saying it was a Samsung VA panel (those usually have VG color btw ) I have 3 here at the crib including one in the 2013 Sony I'm watching now VG color .

So that got me skeptical right there after that dude ducked out besides that doesn't look like any Samsung panel number I ever saw .

I figure dude was trolling us and taking out his $&%$ or something since he never got back with us ! plenty of of that going around here now and then you remember that bro right ? ! ☺☺☺

Maybe its an CMO Innolux panel or something like that ,when I get done with aunt Bees's cookies and milk maybe I'll trip over to panellook.com and see if they have anything yet ! Is that number off the service menu or a panel sticker ? Service menu would be most accurate .

Later , I'll be back soon

EDIT : no 2160p (4K ) 70" panels showong up at panelook.com yet ,same as last time I loked all 1080p
mostly Sharp ASV and one Samsung VA panel and some other $&%$ I never heard of !
Say ........ever notice a lot of profound I mean profanities are 4 letter words ?

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2014 at 12:19 PM.
post #345 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks TT. The number was on the service menu. If I remember correctly you tried to look up the panel from the 70w850b ND4Y700LNX0101 without success. I can't help but notice the only differences in the panel ID is the very first letter with the 70x850b starting with a Y instead of a N in the 70w850b. I would assume that would indicate the same manufacture for both panels with the N being 1080p and the Y being 4K. I don't think Samsung makes any 70" panels since they don't offer one under the Samsung name.
post #346 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks TT. The number was on the service menu. If I remember correctly you tried to look up the panel from the 70w850b ND4Y700LNX0101 without success. I can't help but notice the only differences in the panel ID is the very first letter with the 70x850b starting with a Y instead of a N in the 70w850b. I would assume that would indicate the same manufacture for both panels with the N being 1080p and the Y being 4K. I don't think Samsung makes any 70" panels since they don't offer one under the Samsung name.
This 70" Samsung 1080p panel is showing up as current production at panelook .com. Sometimes Samsung and LGD make panel sized they don't use in their own stuff not unusual especially at Samsung . the 70 Sammy panel starts up with the usual Samsung LTA part number prefix though . I don't know what you got in that thing ? how's the picture ? Sony R4 here is hanging out good .

Hope aunt bee breaks out with some apple pie later ?☺☺☺

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2014 at 12:34 PM.
post #347 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsky View Post
just go check those large flat panels (70-90") and you might prefer one over a front projector. ...i do.
Bigger is always better...with 4K

Last edited by Audio Karma; 08-07-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: more info
post #348 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Have you Seen the new $8 large 79" Sony 9x ( XBR-79x900B ) I believe it has a reworked LGD panel ,with expanded color + TRILUMINOS display and X-tended Dynamic Range for up to 2x brightness range !
Sony claims more brilliant expanded color with TRILUMINOS ™ display and all .....supposed to B better than LG TV same size , some folks around here like it ! One of those would be cool at the V.E. shootout !
If you wish real hard, sometimes your wishes come true.
post #349 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
With all these problems with OLED's, I think I will just keep my 500M until it kicks the dust, that is if Dolby Vision doesn't save the day...

Maybe we have our hopes on the wrong technology here, maybe Dolby Vision might be our future right now... I'm going wait and see...
What's Dolby Vision got to do with the Panels isn't that just processing algorithms and things like that ,Dolby doesn't make panels AFAIK . '

EDIT never mind I checked it out seems like Dolby bought Bright Side Technologies Inc. and it is a new panel tech (sort of ) looks pretty cool they are taking 4000 nit that's like 4x brighter than a lot of the best stuff today and good color that could be very drool worthy !

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
post #350 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
What's Dolby Vision got to do with the Panels isn't that just processing algorithms and things like that ,Dolby doesn't make panels AFAIK . '

EDIT never mind I checked it out seems like Dolby bought Bright Side Technologies Inc. and it is a new panel tech (sort of ) looks pretty cool they are taking 4000 nits and good color that could be very drool worthy !
l

Local dimming - especially of the full array variety and possibly also involving new algorithmic technologies including 'Active Pixel Tuning' to avoid bloom/halo more effectively.
tubetwister likes this.
post #351 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This 70" Samsung 1080p panel is showing up as current production at panelook .com. Sometimes Samsung and LGD make panel sized they don't use in their own stuff not unusual especially at Samsung . the 70 Sammy panel starts up with the usual Samsung LTA part number prefix though . I don't know what you got in that thing ? how's the picture ? Sony R4 here is hanging out good .

Hope aunt bee breaks out with some apple pie later ?☺☺☺
Very nice picture with the 70x series. Still some clouding but it is edge lit. Unless you have an extra 2 grand burning a hole in your pocket I would recommend the 70w series over the x series. X does not deliver enough bang for the buck. As always, eye of the beholder.
post #352 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very nice picture with the 70x series. Still some clouding but it is edge lit. Unless you have an extra 2 grand burning a hole in your pocket I would recommend the 70w series over the x series. X does not deliver enough bang for the buck. As always, eye of the beholder.
Good to know Samsung SPVA usually has a good picture as do the *some Sharp ASV cool the(part numbers ) will show up at Panelook eventually .

stay cool bro !

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2014 at 08:49 PM.
post #353 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you wish real hard, sometimes your wishes come true.
you know somebody over there ?

post #354 of 538 Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
4k 70-90"
Home size digital imax theater in a ground up build with lazer projector or whatever the$$cool thing is these days and JBL Synthisis sound wouldn't be bad !

Anybody know when Vizio Pee reference 4K is coming out ? Wal mart people wants to know ...............☺☺☺☺

PS : Sony & Panasonic form new oled collaboration found in email 2 Day

more: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...l#post26357873

Ebola in Nigeria now too b ware !........got it from CNN

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-07-2014 at 01:15 AM.
post #355 of 538 Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
you know somebody over there ?
I'm taking the fifth.
post #356 of 538 Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
I'm not surprised that Panasonic declined in light of their LCD performance last year was horrendous - it viewed as the worst in the competition.

One problem I've observed with this competition viewing it many years is the audience is heavily laden with overwhelming Plasma Bias by attendee's, AVS Members, calibrators. Last year they tried to be fairer by having a small portion (a session) with daylight viewing comparisons that was a token 60 minutes or so to modestly appease LCD owners out of a two day competition. Wow a whole 60 minutes out of two days.

For those of us LIVING with daytime brightness as a reality a PLASMA is CRAP no matter how it performs in that Shootout and I would not accept one for free - I live in a luxury resort with a million dollar lake and botanical gardens view out my doorwalls in back and at the front and so I'm not about to put up drapes to pander to a plasma like I'm in a cave or trailer.

So, Robert now that plasma is DEAD how about selling and comparing strengths of LCD instead of it's weakness and true factual weakness of plasma in such environs after all you have no more revenue to be gained clinging to a tombstone.

My bet is on OLED to win even before they do 4K based upon the numerous 5 star reviews internationally on the LG as Reference models.

Too bad Sharp 70UD27 is about a month away and likely no-show as UD1 gets phased out, a panel that virtually gets no discussion on this forum though on Amazon owners rave about it and is one of the only matte screens available any longer.

Vizio P/Ref - MIA
Panasonic AX900 - MIA
Sharp 60/70UD27 - MIA
LG 4K 65" OLED - MIA
Samsung has been rumored they may have a new OLED before years end.

Above we have the makings for a November Shootout.
You have a "million dollar lake." I wouldn't be worrying about any display. I would have a dedicated million dollar room. I can spend your money if you like.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 08-08-2014 at 11:57 AM.
post #357 of 538 Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I got my invite for next Sunday. Can't wait! I'll post some pics as I'll be taking my camera.
imagic likes this.
post #358 of 538 Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
You have a "million dollar lake." I wouldn't be worrying about any display. I would have a dedicated million dollar room. I can spend your money if you like.
I believe Westa lives in a condo community, so the million dollar lake is not 'his' lake, but rather the community's lake. I think he assumed people would know that.
Ph8te, Weaselboy and Mrorange303 like this.
post #359 of 538 Old 08-09-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
I believe Westa lives in a condo community, so the million dollar lake is not 'his' lake, but rather the community's lake. I think he assumed people would know that.

Well technically he said "million dollar view" seems people just skipped over "view" and said million dollar lake...
Ken Ross likes this.
post #360 of 538 Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

"
The AX900 also is supposed to hit that mark for DCI color space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page