post #31 of 69 Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman425 View Post
All this furor over a slightly curved screen and you want 360 ?

360 degree video has been filmed to be watched in 360 degrees. Instead of using a joystick to pan around what your standard TV is displaying, you could just wrap a round room with a flexible OLED screen and display the entire 360-degree-worth of video all at once (and pan by looking 'around' :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
^Questionable practicality...seems VR (Oculus Rift or some descendent thereof?) has a greater chance of gaining a foothold in the market than such.
TorTorden likes this.
post #33 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post
*smh*
Firstly, I don't see this being available by 2017 on a large scale, even at an outrageous price. OLED is barely a thing yet, but they're going to have 60" screens that roll up by 2017? Forgive me for being skeptical.
No need for forgiveness, skepticism is good, probably the best thing we can do IMO.

Of course it will be outrageously expensive, but it will in time come down. The technology from this will benefit new upcoming conventional OLED screens in my opinion.

If they can develop screens that can take this kind of stress, the regular OLED screens can inherit more rugged technology.

I guess it depends on how they're building these, whether the manufacturing process is more robust than current technology.

Quote:
That said, why can't we address problems that have plagued current tech for the past ten years? Instead of perfecting stuff, they wanna throw more gimmicks and useless stuff at us.
Perfect is the enemy of better. Why perfect one path of addressing the problems when you can take several and see which one works out best.

People want cheap OLED displays. I get it. But if the current technology can't grow to those levels and this other approach can, why not nurture this as the other is maintained? The reason I've heard why plasma is phased out is that its technology can't proceed to do what current LCD does, despite its quality superiority.

I'd rather OLED not suffer that fate. Current OLED tech and experimentation don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Yes, the thought of rolling up a TV seems neat, but how many people care about being able to use such a feature on a normal basis? I don't know about everyone else, but I don't move into new houses an apartments every other year. I also don't buy a new TV every year and worry about being able to get it home. I also do not move my TV from where it is every day... and I already have a cell phone with a rather large, widescreen display that fits comfortably in my pocket. Granted, I can't roll it up and put it in my pocket, but come on... really?
Who ever thought of sticking a phone in their pocket and using it to handle everything in your life twenty years ago? Outside of Dick Tracy that is.

I could think of many uses, from commercial or industrial displays, high impact displays (military, etc.), home displays that can be hidden away for boundless WAF applications (so you could argue for a massive display). All things that are not easily done with current displays.

All of these could drive the price of displays down for the home market as the economy of scale and improvement of manufacturing processes kicks in.

I have an OLED display on my cell phone, but it can be damaged. What if I had one of these that could take some pounding?

Quote:
That said, look how fragile this thing looks and just the concept sounds fragile as hell. People worry about damaging current TVs when moving them or transporting them. Screens that are this thin and roll up will be a service tech's nightmare.
I don't see that. Something that can be rolled up and still function as shown is not fragile. If you can just roll something up and deliver it, instead of padding it to smithereens and hoping it survives, shipping prices and service requests go down.

Quote:
I'm all for technological advancement, but this just seems so unnecessary and pointless, for most people. It reminds me of Samsung's curved screen gimmick because they can't think of anything else to boost sales. Just my opinion, though. I'm not knocking anyone who wants one.
The curved screen is a gimmick, I agree - this is a different thing altogether. It is flat when it is unrolled, so to me it is the anti - curved screen.

It is new experimental technology in OLED development. I've seen in different threads the dread about plasma going down and several companies leaving OLED development.

This looks to me like LG is doubling down on OLED, at the least developing radically new and probably useful technology, so even if it never pans out, at least a large company is heavily invested in it.

Isn't that better than LG throwing up its hands and coming out with LED only offerings?
TorTorden likes this.
post #34 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Walls

To me this means only one thing, walls being covered in this filament the moment they become commercially available. With 4K here and 8K around the corner I can only imagine both of these formats have something to do with this eventual fact. I look forward to the day my entire wall is a screen, or art, living wallpaper,my favorite color paint when I walk in the room...whatever. BAD A$$!!

John M.

Last edited by jmaccool; 08-06-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #35 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow this means I can roll up my TV pack it into my launch box and take it everywhere with me. Hell I could roll it up and turn it into a bong. Anymore ideas on rolling up your TV Screens?
Yappadappadu likes this.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #36 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_star View Post
^Questionable practicality...seems VR (Oculus Rift or some descendent thereof?) has a greater chance of gaining a foothold in the market than such.

I can't tell whose sense of humor is more subtle - yours or mine...
post #37 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
360 degree video has been filmed to be watched in 360 degrees. Instead of using a joystick to pan around what your standard TV is displaying, you could just wrap a round room with a flexible OLED screen and display the entire 360-degree-worth of video all at once (and pan by looking 'around' :-)
Bathroom breaks would be an exercise with this 360 TV
post #38 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah - you'd have to slide down a firepole in the middle of the room (or a manhole cover and a ladder) :-)

Or of course, if these new OLEDs are flexible enough, you could just slide the screen out of the way like a shower curtain and walk through a hidden door...
post #39 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah - you'd have to slide down a firepole in the middle of the room (or a manhole cover and a ladder) :-)

Or of course, if these new OLEDs are flexible enough, you could just slide the screen out of the way like a shower curtain and walk through a hidden door...
post #40 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Or adjust your perspective - stand outside the cylinder and walk around it - bathroom is easily reachable, just can't watch everything at once.
post #41 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sometimes this place makes me laugh. The general consensus around here is that curved displays are a gimmick, yet give me a screen that you can roll? I guess anything with the word OLED attached to it and people are sold.

--
Panasonic 60VT60
Ken Ross likes this.

Last edited by vinnie123; 08-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #42 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie123 View Post
Sometimes this place makes me laugh. The general consensus around here is that curved displays are a gimmick, yet give me a screen that you can roll? I guess anything with the word OLED attached to it and people are sold.

Dog days of Summer, Vinnie - we're all desperate to find something to stay interested in here on AVS when all we can do is hurry up and wait...
vinnie123 likes this.
post #43 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I think we've known OLED can be rolled up for several years now.
Can they make a display that doesn't roll up my bank account??

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #44 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

--
Panasonic 60VT60
For me anything that you can roll up (fajitas, croissants, persian rugs) and I'm sold. Forget OLED.
post #45 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

--
Panasonic 60VT60
Curved screens can be beneficial, provided the radius of curvature is equal to or greater than the viewing distance. That said, I think the majority consensus about curved TV's being a gimmick is largely based on the fact that the curve is fixed and actually makes the TV harder to transport, get into a room, and mount if the TV is 65" or larger. If the radius is too tight then it creates viewing angle problems and geometric issues (such as lines that are supposed to be horizontal appearing to be curved). A roll-up screen can eliminate those issues. It allows you to adjust the curvature to whatever you want, anything from convex to flat to concave. It can be transported more easily than a flat display and allows you to get a much larger display into a room. Basically, it has the potential to give you the best possible PQ in the most convenient form factor.

FYI, roll-up screens have been around since long before OLED. Ever heard of a roll-up projection screen? This is better, because the screen emits the light rather than reflecting it, which makes it much less susceptible to ambient light and you don't need to worry about objects or dust between the projector and the screen disrupting or completely blocking the light from reaching the screen.
post #46 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
For me anything that you can roll up (fajitas, croissants, persian rugs) and I'm sold. Forget OLED.
Must...resist...urge...to...make...doobie...joke.
post #47 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 948
this is the only way TV's larger than 80" will ever become mainstream. the truth is I had to unbox my 64" just to get it into my room.

good for LG for actually developing improvements in technology instead of just spending money on marketing

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #48 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

--
Panasonic 60VT60
it's a distribution feature, not a use one. there's simply no other way for me to get a large screen into my room for less than a 100k in renos...

once the tv is 'home', it's not going to get rolled up or curved again. unless I need to move it somewhere.

I had the same argument when crt's died. who cares about a tv being only 3inches thick? but the truth is, it made large screens possible for more environments. the fact that we had to get a 32" CRT delivered in a truck years ago, compared to the relative ease of bringing home a 50" flatscreen in a civic today.

post #49 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
post #50 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read 'double joke' the first time (and honestly had no idea what HockeyoAJB was talking about - thanks for reposting - I get it now :-)
post #51 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wont be happy until my diner menu is at Least 1080p...
post #52 of 69 Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I don't get the hype of a flexible screen
Give me a 100'+ screen I can attach to the wall with 4 easy screw in corners
post #53 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One advantage of a flexible screen is that unlike a glass screen, it won't crack. It would solve the problem of these super thin panels being super fragile. I wouldn't hold your breath though. I've seen other demos of flexible screens that were made years ago. Also, the one in the demo had lots of serious defects, and it was presumably the best one they could make.
post #54 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
A 100-foot (diagonal) screen, assuming a 16:9 aspect ratio, would be 87'1.9" wide and 49'0.3" tall. With the frame, that could be another inch on all sides, making the whole screen roughly 87'4" by 49'2".

Even while tilting the TV to squeeze into a door, I have no door in my residence where such a TV could squeeze in.

In such a case, it would be nice to have the TV rolled up into a tube and slide that tube through the door, though I have no 5-story tall wall on which to hang such a TV.

Now a 100" TV would be more manageable, being 87.2in by 49.0in, but even then it would be difficult to navigate the turns to get the TV up the stairs.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #55 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
No need for forgiveness, skepticism is good, probably the best thing we can do IMO.

Of course it will be outrageously expensive, but it will in time come down. The technology from this will benefit new upcoming conventional OLED screens in my opinion.

If they can develop screens that can take this kind of stress, the regular OLED screens can inherit more rugged technology.

I guess it depends on how they're building these, whether the manufacturing process is more robust than current technology.

Perfect is the enemy of better. Why perfect one path of addressing the problems when you can take several and see which one works out best.

People want cheap OLED displays. I get it. But if the current technology can't grow to those levels and this other approach can, why not nurture this as the other is maintained? The reason I've heard why plasma is phased out is that its technology can't proceed to do what current LCD does, despite its quality superiority.

I'd rather OLED not suffer that fate. Current OLED tech and experimentation don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Who ever thought of sticking a phone in their pocket and using it to handle everything in your life twenty years ago? Outside of Dick Tracy that is.

I could think of many uses, from commercial or industrial displays, high impact displays (military, etc.), home displays that can be hidden away for boundless WAF applications (so you could argue for a massive display). All things that are not easily done with current displays.

All of these could drive the price of displays down for the home market as the economy of scale and improvement of manufacturing processes kicks in.

I have an OLED display on my cell phone, but it can be damaged. What if I had one of these that could take some pounding?

I don't see that. Something that can be rolled up and still function as shown is not fragile. If you can just roll something up and deliver it, instead of padding it to smithereens and hoping it survives, shipping prices and service requests go down.

The curved screen is a gimmick, I agree - this is a different thing altogether. It is flat when it is unrolled, so to me it is the anti - curved screen.

It is new experimental technology in OLED development. I've seen in different threads the dread about plasma going down and several companies leaving OLED development.

This looks to me like LG is doubling down on OLED, at the least developing radically new and probably useful technology, so even if it never pans out, at least a large company is heavily invested in it.

Isn't that better than LG throwing up its hands and coming out with LED only offerings?
All valid points. I'm just very skeptical that this will find wide acceptance like most of the other new flashy tech that these companies try to throw out. I guess, only time will tell.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #56 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
this contradicts itself.

how in the world would you get that 100"(I assume you meant inch) screen onto the wall if it's not flexible?

post #57 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All valid points. I'm just very skeptical that this will find wide acceptance like most of the other new flashy tech that these companies try to throw out. I guess, only time will tell.
there's plenty of places where this will find use. I think maybe ppl are looking at it too literally and questioning the need for a tv they can carry in their pocket....

here's some thoughts where I would love to see this:
-a solution to the 'curved' advertising. TV's would be flexible and could have adjustable curves. no curves for those that want flat, curved to the extreme for advertisers that want to be different
-distribution. tell me how else I'm getting that new 80" tv home in my car?
-set up. one person could carry, and install a flexible screen with relative ease. it also makes it much easier to move to a different room when it's time to upgrade. I skipped my workout the day I had to move my 46" RPTV from the basement into the living room...
-the return of the flip phone. you want your 6" display, I want a phone that fits in my pocket, flexible oled screen that allows the phone to fold in half would be the answer.
-modular TV's design. imagine a tv that has a replaceable screen. why not, if the screen can be packaged in a tube and hung on the wall. it's almost like the front projection method, you have the 'brains' part of the tv with the inputs, processing, etc, and the display part. you can get a larger tv for the price of a new panel instead of having to rebuy all the stuff that works fine for you. this is definitely more out there, but if were just gonna throw out possibilities, it's one I'd personally like to see.

post #58 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Completely agree.

Just like for companies (and people) to make the attempt to do something beyond flash.

Even the most magnificent failures can give us something useful. But if this were to work, I'd be all over it.
post #59 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5 years from now...

I've been waiting for this "flexible screen" for years. Think Garage Door Theaters!!!
post #60 of 69 Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would love to find a wall size (16'x7' or so) retractable remote control screen that I could afford. The best I have come across is $3,999 plus approx. $850 for installation and shipping. I had a painted textured 14'x7' wall in my previous home that looked great! Always wondered what it would have looked like with an edge to edge screen (I'm using a Home Brothers anamorphic lens.) for 2:35. I really like the look of no box around the image, just wall to wall action. I'm hopeful of some day finding what I want for around $2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Shipping containers for full wall size 32K resolution projection screens are ready to roll. Just add product. We can expect some download throttling issues.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page