post #121 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
The price drop is very impressive. However, we still have to see how it handles motion, longevity issues, dead pixels, IR and burn in and of course, a curve means no sale for me. Not even for $100.00. Get back to me when they are flat and for 55", well under $2k.
As I understand it, shorter lifespan is one of the drawbacks of LG's version of the technology. What is the lifespan of this TV, if anyone knows?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 209
No way to know. We will just have to wait and see.
post #123 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
As I understand it, shorter lifespan is one of the drawbacks of LG's version of the technology. What is the lifespan of this TV, if anyone knows?
LG most recently gave the lifespan as 50,000 to 100,000 hours until half-brightness.

This is on a par with plasma and, at average viewing hours, equates to about 28 years.

As slow as I am to upgrade, I reckon this should easily see me through to my next set. :-)

Desk
Vegas oled likes this.
post #124 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 584
This is exactly how wive's tales are started....LCD technology for example has been mainstream for about 8 years, we truly do not know for sure on average how long an LCD will last......

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #125 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:

The problem (at least the main one) is that people think of TV lifespan in terms of brightness and that turns out to be more of a theoretical maximum when 'all else is equal and doesn't fail'. Now you and I think of lifespan in terms of how long its going to be before the day that we ask our tv to turn on (or use our remotes in the case of non-smart tv's ) and it stays blank. In the latter case its usually a power board or transistor issue and not the brightness of the TV causing our problem and that type of problem is far harder to predict unless a product has systemic issues in one of its components.
post #126 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When this TV or one comparable hits fifteen hundred dollars, I am in. I figure two years from now. I hope next year.
post #127 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Your understanding is based on myth. Let's move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
This is exactly how wive's tales are started....LCD technology for example has been mainstream for about 8 years, we truly do not know for sure on average how long an LCD will last......
Actually, we have a good idea. Most are built like crap, with shoddy components. Yet they last 5+ years with ease in most cases.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #128 of 135 Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Your understanding is based on myth. Let's move on.

Can I hear an Amen for Rogo, let's nip the rumors as they start. Too many real issues with displays to get people worried about false one.
post #129 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
LG most recently gave the lifespan as 50,000 to 100,000 hours until half-brightness.

This is on a par with plasma and, at average viewing hours, equates to about 28 years.

As slow as I am to upgrade, I reckon this should easily see me through to my next set. :-)

Desk
Thank you. This seems about right. I brought it up because the "shorter lifespan" issue was stated as a potential issue with the LG specifically by Dr. Larry Weber during his presentation at the VE Shootout this past Sunday. If I'm curious, I could look up the same for my Kuro which I think is comparable, if not better than.

I don't know if "shorter lifespan" refers to half-brightness or the life of the set itself, but the LG OLED certainly looked worth a shot if I needed a TV. I have neither the space nor the funds for the 4K sets I saw, plus they didn't look as good as the OLEDs or the F8500 plasma. Besides, "shorter" is a relative term. It was not mentioned as a potential problem for the Samsung OLED. If I indeed hunt for a new TV, this will be researched.

post #130 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, the blue lifespan is a theoretical problem for the Samsung OLED, the doubling (or more) of the size of the blue subpixel notwithstanding.
post #131 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Thank you. This seems about right. I brought it up because the "shorter lifespan" issue was stated as a potential issue with the LG specifically by Dr. Larry Weber during his presentation at the VE Shootout this past Sunday. If I'm curious, I could look up the same for my Kuro which I think is comparable, if not better than.
I watched the Sunday stream, and the issue that Larry Weber brought up, as outer galaxian has noted, was in regards to the accelerated aging of blue OLED cells.

Because they age faster than the other colours, Samsung has attempted to compensate by making the blue cells in their TVs twice as large as the others (presumably using software to increase their brightness in compensation for degredation over time).

However, as Dr Weber noted, the WOLED approach used by LG avoids the problem altogether by stacking the OLEDs, so brightness should decrease evenly (if LG is correct, between 50,000 and 100,000 hours until half brightness).

Personally, the Samsung idea seems a bit of a fudged approach to solving a problem they and other manufacturers can't avoid due to LG's use of Kodak's patented method.

Desk
XPSTester likes this.

Last edited by Desk.; 08-19-2014 at 03:05 AM.
post #132 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I watched the Sunday stream, and the issue that Larry Weber brought up, as outer galaxian has noted, was in regards to the accelerated aging of blue OLED cells.

Because they age faster than the other colours, Samsung has attempted to compensate by making the blue cells in their TVs twice as large as the others (presumably using software to increase their brightness in compensation for degredation over time).

However, as Dr Weber noted, the WOLED approach used by LG avoids the problem altogether by stacking the OLEDs, so brightness should decrease evenly (if LG is correct, between 50,000 and 100,000 hours until half brightness).

Personally, the Samsung idea seems a bit of a fudged approach to solving a problem they and other manufacturers can't avoid due to LG's use of Kodak's patented method.

Desk
Thanks. Assuming the low end of LG's half-brightness claim, that's still 27 years and change of use at 5 hours a day. Of course, if my Kuro holds up, this won't be an issue until I'm around 80 at least. By then it won't matter, probably.

post #133 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by outer galaxian View Post
Well, the blue lifespan is a theoretical problem for the Samsung OLED, the doubling (or more) of the size of the blue subpixel notwithstanding.
Well until Samsung fires up there OLED plant, its not really an overall issue. With no new models in sight, looks like they are out of the game......

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #134 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:

Desk
This is a matter of OPP IMO.

Historically, other peoples' patents have never held Samsung back for long
post #135 of 135 Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
It is not lifespan you have to worry about. It is pixel reliability that is the problem. If the pixels don't burn out they will last almost as long as any other set before getting dim. The problem is pixels suddenly dying out of nowhere. With 4K this should be less of a problem and BFI should take care of the motion problems and flat screens with uniformity. The only thing that looks to be a bad problem like the dying pixels are image retention and possible burn in.
fafrd likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page