Dark patches in LED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dark patches in LED?

I have a Samsung UN39 i bought a few months ago. Right away I realised how much I hate these new LED tv's compared to my last LCD.

I don't notice it really when viewed straight on, but viewed from an angle I can see dark areas of where the LED doesn't seem to light up the screen if that makes any sense. On the other hand I can also see areas brighter than the rest, mainly in the corners.

Does anyone have a trick to reduce all this screen uniformity problems these TV's have or should I go to samsung while still under warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilroy222 View Post
I have a Samsung UN39 i bought a few months ago. Right away I realised how much I hate these new LED tv's compared to my last LCD.

I don't notice it really when viewed straight on, but viewed from an angle I can see dark areas of where the LED doesn't seem to light up the screen if that makes any sense. On the other hand I can also see areas brighter than the rest, mainly in the corners.

Does anyone have a trick to reduce all this screen uniformity problems these TV's have or should I go to samsung while still under warranty?
How far off of the center perpendicular are we talking about? 20°, 30°, 45° or more?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be honest, it's only when looking right from the side, as in an angle that no one would ever view a tv in. I am just really anal and notice those things and it bugs me.

Having said that, the brighter spots in the corners are noticeable as soon as night time falls and when viewing darker pictures.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

The reason the dark spot in the LED worries me though, is because it seems to have gotten taller over time. I remember it when the TV was new, and there was hardly an imperfection. Now though, it is much bigger.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilroy222 View Post
I'll be honest, it's only when looking right from the side, as in an angle that no one would ever view a tv in. I am just really anal and notice those things and it bugs me.

Having said that, the brighter spots in the corners are noticeable as soon as night time falls and when viewing darker pictures.
Brighter spots in the corners is usually considered "flash-lighting" and is (unfortunately) all too common with edge lit LCDs.

The dropouts on ~0° off of the face is something that I'd just learn to forget.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Brighter spots in the corners is usually considered "flash-lighting" and is (unfortunately) all too common with edge lit LCDs.

The dropouts on ~0° off of the face is something that I'd just learn to forget.
Alright

Thanks
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General