Samsung LED White Balance Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there,

Just another question about my Samsung UE40H5000. I was adjusting the settings last night to some I found online.

When it comes to white balance, all my settings as standard were in the middle of the slider but instead of displaying 25 they were all at 0 and adjusting either way gives + or - 1 and so on.

What I am trying to achieve is:

R-Offset - 25
G-Offset - 25
B-Offset - 25
R-Gain - 0
G-Gain - 25
B-Gain - 30

Should I set mine as:

R-Offset - 0
G-Offset - 0
B-Offset - 0
R-Gain - -25
G-Gain - 0
B-Gain - +5

or:

R-Offset - +25
G-Offset - +25
B-Offset - +25
R-Gain - 0
G-Gain - +25
B-Gain - +30

Any Help is appreciated,

Thank you.

Last edited by iBeef; 08-14-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You should not adjust this unless you have a meter. Settings like this will not translate well set to set.

I question the settings you found as well.

Quote:
R-Offset - 25
G-Offset - 25
B-Offset - 25
R-Gain - 0
G-Gain - 25
B-Gain - 30
What you are adjusting is the coarse 2 point white balance. Red being at 0 with all of the others adjusted so close to one another makes me think something isn't right and these were improperly adjusted by whomever did them. Or perhaps a bad panel.

Anyway, like I said white balance settings never translate well between sets.

p.s.

This area is for OLED TV's. What you are calling a "LED" TV is really a "LCD" TV that Samsung has marketed as a "LED" to make consumers think it is something different. When it's really just a LCD TV with LED backlighting. Not to say LED backlighting isn't neat, full array LED backlit LCD TV(s) are quite good. You could ask someone to move this to the LCD area where you may get more responses.

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-14-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
You should not adjust this unless you have a meter. Settings like this will not translate well set to set.

I question the settings you found as well.

What you are adjusting is the coarse 2 point white balance. Red being at 0 with all of the others adjusted so close to one another makes me think something isn't right and these were improperly adjusted by whomever did them. Or perhaps a bad panel.

Anyway, like I said white balance settings never translate well between sets.

p.s.

This area is for OLED TV's. What you are calling a "LED" TV is really a "LCD" TV that Samsung has marketed as a "LED" to make consumers think it is something different. When it's really just a LCD TV with LED backlighting. Not to say LED backlighting isn't neat, full array LED backlit LCD TV(s) are quite good. You could ask someone to move this to the LCD area where you may get more responses.
Thanks for the reply,

I think the red setting was due to it being on the warm 2 setting. I tried both and both did not look great so I took them all back to 0 in the centre of the slider.

Playing around with some more settings, I think I'm finally getting there with the settings I want.

Sorry for posting in the wrong area, I did not realise.

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeef View Post
Thanks for the reply,

I think the red setting was due to it being on the warm 2 setting. I tried both and both did not look great so I took them all back to 0 in the centre of the slider.

Playing around with some more settings, I think I'm finally getting there with the settings I want.

Sorry for posting in the wrong area, I did not realise.

Thanks
I don't think it's a big deal you posted here, just you may get more responses in the LCD forum

Warm2 is what you want to hit D65 (6500k) for HD 709 REC, if you are trying to make the set accurate.

Yes, they should all be centered unless you have a meter. Adjusting by eye is VERY tricky, most pro's can't do it. But also be sure you understand what it is you are adjusting and how effects the image.

It's a 2 point white balance. Your settings only adjusted red for the high point (bright whites), but left them unadjusted for dark gray/near black. Makes no sense to me.

Let me break it down for you

The "gain" control adjusts white balance for brighter white (mid gray to full white)
the "offset" control adjusts white balance for darker whites (black to mid gray)

So...

Offset adjusts darker whites (black to mid gray)
R-Offset - 25
G-Offset - 25
B-Offset - 25

Gain adjusts brighter white (mid gray to full white)
R-Gain - 0
G-Gain - 25
B-Gain - 30

It's gets a bit more complicated, so if your dark whites have too much blue per say. And you turn down the blue "offset" to compensate. It will actually raise the blue for the brighter whites a bit (visually, if you had a meter you would see the change easily). It's a bit of a teeter totter. Adjust one then take a reading of the other and you will see it has changed. They need to be balanced to achieve the best results.

So in your posted settings, you cut red gain dramatically, which in turn would have added some reds to the darker whites.

This is why it's best to leave these settings alone unless you know what you are adjusting and have a meter to verify it. Granted it won't hurt anything; you can always reset.

I assume you have been watching in "normal" or "cool" for so long "warm2" looks red to you. When it's actually a lot closer to being accurate; you are probably accustomed to seeing blueish whites. Reset the 2 point white balance back to factory settings, watch it on warm2 for a week or two to let your eyes adjust.

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-15-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Warm2 is what you want to hit D65 (6500k) for HD 709 REC, if you are trying to make the set accurate.
Depends on the model. On my 60H6300 neutral white was about half way between Warm1 and Standard.

To the OP: for a really basic calibration, set colour to 0 to make the image black and white, then flick through the presets (Warm, Standard, Cool) until you find the one that looks the most neutral and colourless. Like SiGGy said, it's very difficult to get it right by eye because your colour perception is constantly changing based on what colours you've been looking at, or colours that are in your surrounding vision, eg. light from a window or a lamp in the room will skew your perception. You could try doing it in a completely dark room, closing your eyes for a while to try and let your vision stabilise, then look at the black and white image again to see if you can detect any colour.

Failing that you'd need a colour meter.

Last edited by assm0de; 08-20-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page