Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
heres a pic of the yellowing on the left hand side, that some members have commented seeing
i didnt initially see this is vegas's pic, but if you look its there
and the 9800 had the exact same thing, except on white, where vegas claims this is a gray screen
very noticeable indeed. It looks like it is in a lot more places than just the sides. I do not watch slides though

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 08-27-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
^ Is it seen on regular content? I was at BB yesterday and specifically looked for both viewing angles and this yellowing, but didn't notice it with actual content.
Morning5 likes this.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ Is it seen on regular content? I was at BB yesterday and specifically looked for both viewing angles and this yellowing, but didn't notice it with actual content.
No, just another slide issue(at least in regards to the 9800, I cannot speak on the 9300)
Morning5 likes this.

Last edited by 5x10; 08-27-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 271
You see it with some of the menus. Very obvious and of some concern. Maybe if we ignore it, it will go away?
Turrican4D likes this.

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 08-27-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
You see it with some of the menus. Very obvious and of some concern.
whoops, i shouldnt have spoken on the 9300, my comment is on the 9800
its weird both sets have the yellowing, but on different colors (gray vs white)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
I'm not saying that this is the case here, but I'm half surprised that we're able to get pictures from cameras that don't exibit one color problem or another. There always will be a potential problem using a sensor grid (like the CMOS/CCD array in a camera) to capture the results of another grid (like the subpixel array in a display) if it's sharply focused and not of hugely different resolutions.

If the sensor elements happen to be arranged such that, say, the green subpixels of the display start landing on the red sensor elements of the camera disproportionately, you'll get a weird color shift that your eyes never see. Most cameras have radically different sensor arrangements than displays have subpixel arrangements, but even so I don't doubt that there will be color shifts that people don't see on a display in person that show up on camera from time to time.
mo949 and 5x10 like this.

User interface engineers: Always try to think in terms of putting in "un-do"s and not confirmation dialogs on every single question! Good grief! We're STILL doing this junior level newbie nonsense in 2015?????
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Excerpted from a CNET article titled "What is OLED TV" by Geoffrey Morrison originally published March 2012 and Updated August 2013. http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-oled-tv/

Viewing angles and the like have me curious about how LG's WOLED works. I found this helpful.
From Geoffrey's article: This incredibly beautiful graphic, by me, shows a side view of LG's White OLED structure. The front of the TV screen is at the top, with the back of the TV at the bottom. (1) A sandwich of red, green, and blue OLED layers together produce white light (2). Color filters (3) allow a specific color through (4) toward the screen. A clear filter (right) allows the white light to pass through, increasing overall brightness. As shown, this pixel would appear white. Turn off the OLED behind the blue filter, and pixel would appear yellow. Turn off the OLED behind the blue and red filters, the pixel will appear green, and so on. Geoffrey Morrison/CNET
Turrican4D and 5x10 like this.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Excerpted from a CNET article titled What is OLED TV originally published March 2012 and Updated August 2013. http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-oled-tv/

Viewing angles and the like have me curious about how LG's WOLED works. I found this helpful.
This incredibly beautiful graphic, by me, shows a side view of LG's White OLED structure. The front of the TV screen is at the top, with the back of the TV at the bottom. (1) A sandwich of red, green, and blue OLED layers together produce white light (2). Color filters (3) allow a specific color through (4) toward the screen. A clear filter (right) allows the white light to pass through, increasing overall brightness. As shown, this pixel would appear white. Turn off the OLED behind the blue filter, and pixel would appear yellow. Turn off the OLED behind the blue and red filters, the pixel will appear green, and so on. Geoffrey Morrison/CNET
It's an old pic, one that's made its rounds around AVS for a while now, and it's slightly inaccurate, though still useful.

1. It's showing it as a layer of 3 colors when that's still not clear----I believe most of us here are fairly convinced (including me) that it is dichromatic in nature (blue+yellow), as indicated by the old Kodak patents....with the caveat that the yellow layer is sometimes listed as "R/G". Lots of history of posts about how it's likely set up in the OLED thread. You'll have to fast forward several years in that thing to around 2013 or so. Pay attention in particular to posts from xrox, slacker711, ynotgoal, and rogo. Rogo, FWIW, believes that there are 3 layers; I can't speak for the others.
  2. It's showing the subpixel OLED material as separated when in the LG case they are fully contiguous sheets. The subpixel is formed by the electronics above and below (and those obviously are discrete)----but the material itself is fully connected.

User interface engineers: Always try to think in terms of putting in "un-do"s and not confirmation dialogs on every single question! Good grief! We're STILL doing this junior level newbie nonsense in 2015?????
Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 181
So what happends when a oled pixle get stuck ? is that the white oled is constant on behind that color thats showing?
And dead pixles the white oled wont turn on?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
So what happends when a oled pixle get stuck ? is that the white oled is constant on behind that color thats showing?
I haven't noticed any image retention on my EC9300 either. And I have watched a few movies so far where the black bars haven't caused any retention.
Ken Ross, dsinger, Desk. and 4 others like this.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Ya gotta be careful....these are loosely thrown around terms. Most of the time in personal conversation I've had people use the term "dead pixel" to mean any of the following:

• Whole pixel black (all subs) no matter what
  • Whole pixel stuck on one color always lit up
  • Any one sub always turned off
  • Any one sub always lit up
  • (etc.)

People like to make the distinctions here though sometimes. In the case of a "stuck subpixel", something indeed is activating that OLED layer beneath that particular color filter and never shuts off. However, I rarely make that distinction and put them all in the same category and call them "dead".
kinglm, vaktmestern and 5x10 like this.

Last edited by tgm1024; 08-27-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Talking

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. You read some of the reports and you'd think that OLEDs do everything but explode. The amount of misinformation and FUD is pretty alarming, IMO. I absolutely believe that some almost hope that OLED fails so that they don't have to deal with the thought that something better than what they have is out there. I firmly believe this is the case with a few posters.

I know Vegas accused me of some of this, but as most of you know (and probably Vegas does at this point), I was only seeking the facts from owners. After seeing OLED at the shootout with the lights out, you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger advocate. You guys have the best displays out there. Enjoy!
Turrican4D?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post
Flatpanelshd, which are still testing the unit, commented on IR
"During calibration the screen has been running with a white APL adjusted box stationary for about an hour which showed no signs of retention of burn-in."

Repeat with me: N-O S-I-G-N-S O-F B-U-R-N I-N N-O I-R
Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I was over anal n skipped the 9700 set up running sliders 24h before setting it up , of the fear of ir out of the box.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
heres a pic of the yellowing on the left hand side, that some members have commented seeing
and the 9800 had the exact same thing, except on white, where vegas claims this is a gray screen
This looks worse than flashlighting, clouding. This isnt directed towards you, 5x10, but I could live with that yellow tint if it isnt evident during material.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

This concerns me greatly. I was going to order a set tonight... Now I'm having second thoughts.

As long as I don't see it during normal use, I don't think it would bother me... Hmm
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
This looks worse than flashlighting, clouding. This isnt directed towards you, 5x10, but I could live with that yellow tint if it isnt evident during material.
i do live with it on my 9800, and i consider it a non issue as i only see it on a white slide, and even then, its pretty suttle. i just thought it was weird how it used to show on a white screenm but now requires a gray screen to be seen
(btw, there is no red on the right hand side in real life, my camera picks it up somehow(probably something to due with tgms post above)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sega_102 View Post
This concerns me greatly. I was going to order a set tonight... Now I'm having second thoughts.

As long as I don't see it during normal use, I don't think it would bother me... Hmm
if its anything like the last model, you wont see it in content. i would go see a demo set and see if it comes up on content. i also think seeing the set will also make you realise how great the picture is and how much we scrutinize these sets

Last edited by 5x10; 08-27-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Ya gotta be careful....these are loosely thrown around terms. Most of the time in personal conversation I've had people use the term "dead pixel" to mean any of the following:

• Whole pixel black (all subs) no matter what
  • Whole pixel stuck on one color always lit up
  • Any one sub always turned off
  • Any one sub always lit up
  • (etc.)

People like to make the distinctions here though sometimes. In the case of a "stuck subpixel", something indeed is activating that OLED layer beneath that particular color filter and never shuts off. However, I rarely make that distinction and put them all in the same category and call them "dead".
Agree more easy to use n understand.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i do live with it on my 9800, and i consider it a non issue as i only see it on a white slide, and even then, its pretty suttle. i just thought it was weird how it used to show on a white screenm but now requires a gray screen to be seen
(btw, there is no red on the right hand side in real life, my camera picks it up somehow(probably something to due with tgms post above)
if its anything like the last model, you wont see it in content. i would go see a demo set and see if it comes up on content. i also think seeing the set will also make you realise how great the picture is and how much we scrutinize these sets
Thank you for the report 5x10. The only thing that may bother me with the EC9300, would be the ABL.
5x10 likes this.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Turrican4D?
Me no name names.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
"During calibration the screen has been running with a white APL adjusted box stationary for about an hour which showed no signs of retention of burn-in."

Now now, the naysayers don't want to hear this kind of talk. Please only report instances of IR, burn-in or any other issues.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone confirm this is indeed a 10-bit panel? And also 240hz?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Can someone confirm this is indeed a 10-bit panel? And also 240hz?
I am not sure about the hz, but it is 100% 10-bit as LG advertises that.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

We mentioned the yellow tint along the left edge. My concern would variations in skin tone when displayed in that area. Or jaundice looking eyes. Or watching an HD war movie when a grey battleship moves to the left and starts to get yellow as it gets to the left side of the screen. Can't have any of that.
Turrican4D likes this.

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 08-27-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post
65 inch tv was just too big for my studio apartment. If I had my old apartment it would have been perfect, but right now I just had to down size.
Downsize??? Not in my vocabulary. I would think that a 65" or even 75" could find it's way into the smallest studio apartment in New York or Tokyo. I'd find some way to make the furniture fit, even if it were bean bags artistically placed around the room.

Imagine the excitement of your friends as they walk into your crib and see that wall to wall OLED!

All seriousness aside - - I had my first opportunity to look at the LG 9300 this past weekend at Best Buy. Like one other forum member said - - it sticks out like a sore thumb, in a good way. Three words - - stone cold gorgeous!

On a smaller display like a 55" (who would have thunk that five years ago) - - the colors are phenomenal and the blacks are outrageous. I mean - - sharp, pristine, glowing, fabulous - - sorry for the superlatives but that's how this set hit me.

I imagine the price of these OLED sets will come down. To me, a 75" is a perfect size for my man cave and I'd probably take down my projector (100" 16 X 9 screen) if/when I can make the price work.

UHD/4K/OLED would be future proof but my question is this - - as you go to a larger screen, what is the viewing experience? If you can duplicate the 55" OLED - - then I'd say game, set & match to just a plain ole OLED versus the UHD/4K and the endless waiting for content and cable/satellite provider constraints. And - - the price point would be lower?? (No UHD/4K OLED).

Very exciting.
mo949 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard0us View Post
Hi folks -

I have a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60. It was initially used in my home theater which is driven from a PC, and it soon developed some burn-in which I've been working hard to remove. I moved the TV to our living room, thinking that regular television would get rid of the burn-in. Many hours of CNBC-HD has resulted in many graphical artifacts from that channel getting burned into the set, so I no longer watch CNBC on it

I am thinking of selling the plasma set and getting this new EC9300. What is the prognosis for burn-in? TV channels like CNBC unashamedly have bright graphics that sit in the same spot on the screen for hours on end. Recipe for burn-in on the OLED sets? Is there any kind of "animated zoom" setting that slowly moves the image around on the TV or something to combat burn-in?

Also, does anyone have the external dimensions of the EC9300's outer box? I want to see if it will fit in my car.

Finally, if I am spending $3K+, do you think the Best Buy folks would allow me to take the TV out of the box inside their store, and run tests on it to detect artifacts and problems? I want to reduce the risk of having to return it after getting it home.

Thanks -H
Don't do it, there's no way. I get temporary retention on mine after only a few minutes. Friend already has perm burn-in on his Samsung OLED and he has screen saver set to 1 minute and pixel shift enabled (he hooked it up to PC). Don't connect these to PCs.

Quote:

Yeah i'm going to listen to what a review says or to what I personally see on my set in front of me? This set gets image retention have only a few minutes, leave something, throw up a gray screen, you'll easily see it still.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We mentioned the yellow tint along the left edge. My concern would variations in skin tone when displayed in that area. Or jaundice looking eyes. Or watching an HD war movie when a grey battleship moves to the left and starts to get yellow as it gets to the left side of the screen. Can't have any of that.
Sure didn't see that at the shootout or at BB yesterday...not with actual content.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post
Flatpanelshd, which are still testing the unit, commented on IR
They also commented on brightness and ABL:

Quote:
200 cd/m2 on an ABL pattern, but only 60-70 cd/m2 on full white, which you can pump to about 90 if you crank the OLED light to max.
That's pretty much exactly what they measured on the older flat and curved models. I think this means it's probably the same panel as the 2013 models. Early owner reviews (ignoring Vegas) also sound similar to the early reports on the 9800/8800.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
ABL is very annoying for animation shows. Watching something like Family Guy, you can clearly see it adjust and some scenes were clearly way dimmer than they were suppose to be. I notice it all the time on this set.

Quote:
Sure didn't see that at the shootout or at BB yesterday...not with actual content.
I just threw up a white screen and I see it on mine. Literally impossible to see with any real content, it's very minor.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
ABL is very annoying for animation shows. Watching something like Family Guy, you can clearly see it adjust and some scenes were clearly way dimmer than they were suppose to be. I notice it all the time on this set.

I just threw up a white screen and I see it on mine. Literally impossible to see with any real content, it's very minor.
Well if I can get some kind of assurance this is not going to get worse over time or ruin a good war flick (better not see it with a black and white flick) I will snag one tomorrow along with a extended warranty from BB. 80% of our viewing is network programming, evening news, a few sci fi shows such as "Extant", Smithsonian channel, history channel etc. We get a weekly blu ray from Netflix plus we do watch Netflix on-line. So kind of an average mix. This would be our first 3D TV. I've got an older sony blu-ray player but I don't think the firmware can be upgraded for 3D. suggestions?

How is this set with black and white content?