LG 55EC9300 55" OLED Owners ONLY Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2309Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I would get 9300 from a sponsor on this forum and save some $$$. The engineers have had an extra year to work on longevity issues and burn-in. Remember the 9800 was only quoted at a 20,000 hour lifespan and the 9300 is being quoted at 50,000 hours. This might be panel and or setting changes to increase longevity.

There are screen savers that pop up when watching photos and stuff on the 9300 that I do not remember on the 9800.
Vegas, do you have a source on the 20k lifespan on the 9800?
Here's a quote from lg stating 50-100k hours on their oled tech

Quote:
LG’s Director of New Product Development Tim Alessi told the audience LG’s OLED lifespan is the same as plasma which puts it between 50,000 and 100,000 hours
http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/

Last edited by 5x10; 08-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.
5x10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Vegas, do you have a source on the 20k lifespan on the 9800?
Here's a quote from lg stating 50-100k hours on their oled tech


http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/
Even if it was only 20,000 hours that is 8 hours a day watching TV for 7 years!
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #93 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Even if it was only 20,000 hours that is 8 hours a day watching TV for 7 years!
I agree, and that's a big number. But keep in mind though, it's not at all clear what that means in real life.

Even if they define that as a mean time to half-life, there is no clear understanding how comfortable a viewing that represents. IMO, it may or may not be a problem that is always calibratable away without affecting things such as the low-end grays, or any unguessable amount of gamma trouble.
Vegas oled likes this.

rodtsasdt 111111report*
P-1 CUR ALLOC 20195.....5805M
HELLO GREGORY
tgm1024 is online now  
post #94 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Even if it was only 20,000 hours that is 8 hours a day watching TV for 7 years!
Very true but for some one purchasing today, they might as well go with the 9300. Next year. I am sure the 2015 OLED will have improvements that I will wish I had. I will stick with the 9300 until the 77" 4K is affordable to non lawyers and Doctors.

The 65" 4k will be better than the 9300 and I will be happy for each and every owner who is lucky enough too own one.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #95 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Even if it was only 20,000 hours that is 8 hours a day watching TV for 7 years!
True, but it is not like it just magically snaps to half brightness after the 7 years. It could get 49% dimmer after a year and than on the seventh year it falls that last one percent. Point is the longer the rated life the less likely you are to see any phosphor dissipation/dimming during its service life.
sytech is offline  
post #96 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Vegas, do you have a source on the 20k lifespan on the 9800?
Here's a quote from lg stating 50-100k hours on their oled tech


http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/
someone posted an LG presentation for the 9800 where they stated 20,000 hours, LG may have changed this projection. I was thinking 30,000 hours would be great. It was in German or something but the poster translated for the 9800 thread and stated it was 20,000 hours. My guess If your display is calibrated you can double that number.

The 9300 seems too disperse more heat to the vent in the rear and less radiates off the screen, this might also add too the lifespan of the 9300 as heat is electronics number one enemy. It is those little things that make the newest gen IMO the better purchase.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-22-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #97 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Even if it was only 20,000 hours that is 8 hours a day watching TV for 7 years!
i hear ya, im about half of that(4 hrs a day) so i expect it to last until i need to replace it(14 yrs)
but again, what does that time frame mean? if it refers to oled light brightness, then i guess i can expect to lose 10% every 2-3 yrs
if its the 50-100k hours, then i would lose 10% every 4-30 yrs
thats assuming its linear

I could see how it could change from 20k-50k if the new sets have the more aggresive ABL, which would explain why the 9300 reported a lower peak brightness than the 9800
lg rep also said the ABL is for panel preservation

Last edited by 5x10; 08-22-2014 at 12:20 PM.
5x10 is offline  
post #98 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I just went to my local best buy. They have one, but it will not be in the magnolia section. That seems odd to me.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #99 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Member
 
afrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anybody happen to know if this will wall mount to a generic VESA wall mount, or is it a custom wall mount?
afrost is offline  
post #100 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
I am Not so worried about lifespan, I hope the 77" 4k OLED will be $5,000 in 5 years, if so the 55 9300 is in my bedroom. This is why I like the option too wall mount.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #101 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Newbie
 
nickanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Input lag?

I think I see a PS4 controller on the floor in one of your shots, can you tell us please about the input lag?
nickanderson is offline  
post #102 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickanderson View Post
I think I see a PS4 controller on the floor in one of your shots, can you tell us please about the input lag?
Keep close tabs on this site: http://www.displaylag.com/oled-4k-20...t-lag-results/

They've got the EA down at least. I'm sure the new stuff will be soon. They're using the Leo Bodnar lag testing device.
suspect9 likes this.

rodtsasdt 111111report*
P-1 CUR ALLOC 20195.....5805M
HELLO GREGORY
tgm1024 is online now  
post #103 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
True, but it is not like it just magically snaps to half brightness after the 7 years. It could get 49% dimmer after a year and than on the seventh year it falls that last one percent. Point is the longer the rated life the less likely you are to see any phosphor dissipation/dimming during its service life.
Of course 20,000 is a guess in reality, so the set could last 40,000 hours as well, things can go both ways. Know anyone with an old console TV still running after 30 years, those where rated at 20,000 if your lucky.........
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #104 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
stas3098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Vegas, do you have a source on the 20k lifespan on the 9800?
Here's a quote from lg stating 50-100k hours on their oled tech


http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/
50-100k hours is not that far away from the reality of things, actually. I'd say 80,000-100k at 100 candela and 40,000 at max brightness (around 300 nits) thanks to APL and stuff, beyond that point too much of emitting material will have turned into hydrogen which will render blue pixels non-operational. And when polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes from UDC make it to the mass market(2 to 4 years) we may very well expect 100-140k hours at 400 nits and over 60,000 hours at 1000 nits.

....
stas3098 is offline  
post #105 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by stas3098 View Post
50-100k hours is not that far away from the reality of things, actually. I'd say 80,000-100k at 100 candela and 40,000 at max brightness (around 300 nits) thanks to APL and stuff, beyond that point too much of emitting material will have turned into hydrogen which will render blue pixels non-operational. And when polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes from UDC make it to the mass market(2 to 4 years) we may very well expect 100-140k hours at 400 nits and over 60,000 hours at 1000 nits.
I believe the 9300 was tuned to reduce Image retention as well as extend life. Calibration of the 9800 should give you the same results. The only case of burn-in have been on store displays running 18 hours per day on dynamic mode.
Morning5 likes this.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #106 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Just for your you VAK, same $100 camera and much better picture. The only thing different is the display. Maybe I just had a bad 9800, you can see how blurry it was compared to the 9300. Notice how much clear the eyes are on the 9300. I compared photos and the eyes were blurry on every 9800 photo. That 9800 was not a good one thou. Is still need a better camera, lol.
Top 9300


Bottom 9800

Proof that the DNR issue may have been solved with the firmware update. No DNR=more details, sharper image.
vaktmestern and Vegas oled like this.
Morning5 is offline  
post #107 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Proof that the DNR issue may have been solved with the firmware update. No DNR=more details, sharper image.
Might be, I could not get a sharp detailed photo with my 9800 but I also may not of had it dialed in properly.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #108 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Might be, I could not get a sharp detailed photo with my 9800 but I also may not of had it dialed in properly.
Everything is sharper in your EC9300 photo: the hair, eyes, etc While DNR makes everything blurrier.

Without this DNR issue, input lag will decrease by a large margin compared to the 9800.
Morning5 is offline  
post #109 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Everything is sharper in your EC9300 photo: the hair, eyes, etc While DNR makes everything blurrier.

Without this DNR issue, input lag will decrease by a large margin compared to the 9800.
Also makes you wonder if the 9800 will have a similar update.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #110 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Also makes you wonder if the 9800 will have a similar update.
Yeah that would be good for 9800 owners.
Morning5 is offline  
post #111 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Also makes you wonder if the 9800 will have a similar update.
My 9800 was pushed an update earlier this week, 05.07.01. Don't know what was updated.
kinglm is online now  
post #112 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
My 9800 was pushed an update earlier this week, 05.07.01. Don't know what was updated.
I do know the 9800 has a noise reduction option under picture options menu
Low, medium, high, auto, and off are the setting choices
5x10 is offline  
post #113 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Stopped in my local BB today and saw the 55EC9300. They set it up last weekend and apparently I was the first person to even look at it. At my urging, they took out the USB flashdrive demo loop and hooked up a BlurRay player. I switched the TV from Vivid mode to THX mode and had them get some passive 3D glasses and we were watching the new Thor movie in 3D. Pretty soon had about 10 people watching with us and others asking if there were any more glasses. With the store lights on it was not really taking advantage of the blacks, but it was a pretty striking experience nonetheless - the best 3D I have ever experienced (and everyone else agreed).

There was a Samsung rep there, in fact she was helping set up the Samsung BlueRay player. She was watching with 3D glasses on as well and agreed that the 55EC9300 was the best TV she had ever seen. When I asked when Samsung was going to come out with an OLED she said "they have one but they stopped making them, they won't be trying OLED again." When I asked why not, she said "Lifetime - OLED only lasts 2 years. That LG has a beautiful picture but not many people want to pay that much for a TV that is only going to last 2 years."

As much of a hard time as I've given Vegas over the course of this year, I now understand how he can use the 'L' word when talking about his OLED TV (and now I also know what I want for Christmas :-)

But hopefully in the 65" size.

LG has got a gamechanger on their hands and I just hope they know how to market it and don't let the Samsung marketing behemoth pull the rug out from underneath them.
Ken Ross, dsinger, ONDr and 2 others like this.
fafrd is online now  
post #114 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,560
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Might be, I could not get a sharp detailed photo with my 9800 but I also may not of had it dialed in properly.
I didn't hear any 9800 owners complaining of a soft picture. In fact the 9800 I've seen at BB looked as sharp as any other HD display there...probably a bit sharper due to the higher CR.
kinglm, bigcoupe2003 and 5x10 like this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #115 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
bigcoupe2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Stopped in my local BB today and saw the 55EC9300. They set it up last weekend and apparently I was the first person to even look at it. At my urging, they took out the USB flashdrive demo loop and hooked up a BlurRay player. I switched the TV from Vivid mode to THX mode and had them get some passive 3D glasses and we were watching the new Thor movie in 3D. Pretty soon had about 10 people watching with us and others asking if there were any more glasses. With the store lights on it was not really taking advantage of the blacks, but it was a pretty striking experience nonetheless - the best 3D I have ever experienced (and everyone else agreed).

There was a Samsung rep there, in fact she was helping set up the Samsung BlueRay player. She was watching with 3D glasses on as well and agreed that the 55EC9300 was the best TV she had ever seen. When I asked when Samsung was going to come out with an OLED she said "they have one but they stopped making them, they won't be trying OLED again." When I asked why not, she said "Lifetime - OLED only lasts 2 years. That LG has a beautiful picture but not many people want to pay that much for a TV that is only going to last 2 years."

As much of a hard time as I've given Vegas over the course of this year, I now understand how he can use the 'L' word when talking about his OLED TV (and now I also know what I want for Christmas :-)

But hopefully in the 65" size.

LG has got a gamechanger on their hands and I just hope they know how to market it and don't let the Samsung marketing behemoth pull the rug out from underneath them.
That samsung rep you spoke to had no clue what she was talking about Samsung will put another OLED out eventually I would not be the least bit surprised to see something new at CES. I would be willing to bet she is too low on the totem poll to know that information and because LG and Samsung are very competitive with one another in Korea, I would doubt Samsung will carry on much longer without an OLED. These companies are able to accelerate the aging of these panels and it would not make too much sense to put so much money into a panel put it out for the public and then decide to yank it because of the two year life span.
bigcoupe2003 is offline  
post #116 of 3002 Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I didn't hear any 9800 owners complaining of a soft picture. In fact the 9800 I've seen at BB looked as sharp as any other HD display there...probably a bit sharper due to the higher CR.
I never had a complaint either, I just noticed looking at photos of the two that the 9300 is much sharper. This could be many things including the fact I calibrated the 9300 better.

IMO the 9300 has a much cleaner picture than on the 9800 I have had. The DNR does seem too be active as the picture is so sharp. shoutout too D-nice for speaking up for the 2%

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-23-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #117 of 3002 Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Good Night From 9300 OLED

nowknown, fafrd, elockett and 8 others like this.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #118 of 3002 Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I do know the 9800 has a noise reduction option under picture options menu
Low, medium, high, auto, and off are the setting choices
"Off" doesn't mean it is off, that is (or was) the problem. I hope for an update too, cause there is no reason, to keep DNR there for the old models, when there is a firmware fix for the EC9300.

Will be a hard choice for my brother, which model he should buy, though.
Morning5 likes this.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #119 of 3002 Old 08-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Member
 
OneStepAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
This has not been my experience.

Generally, if something's going to go wrong with an electrical item it usually happens very quickly.

This is why, perhaps with the exception of very high-end items, I generally don't bother with a warranty beyond the standard one-year guarantee.

If I might ask, why are you buying both the 9300 and the 8800? You're planning to keep both sets, I take it.

Desk
Its not that a defect is going to magically appear three months later, it's just that you don't notice things immediately. It might take a certain piece of content to bring it out, or someone else to point it out to you. I just bought a new vehicle two months ago. At first I loved it but after about a week I can tell you a good dozen things that annoy me.

Yes keeping both the 9390 and 8800, they are going in different room in my house. 9300 will be in our master bedroom, 8800 will be in our babies room. Yes, our baby is starting off life with an OLED! Will be fun using it in art mode for him, and then we'll also watch it ourselves when we are in his room. At 3K, I couldn't pass up the 8800, especially when the next closest major retailer is at 4200. BB still lists it at 10k!

8800 will be here early next week. Picked up the EC9300 last night from Best Buy. First impressions:

Black levels are amazing, but we already knew that would be the case

Grey does have some uniformity issues, such as when I open the Amazon app

Super thin, I put a cigarette next to it and the TV is thinner!

First content I watched was Hell On Wheels Blu-Ray, really glad I watched a bluray first as the PQ was insane. Skin tones are fabulous, and this is the first set I've ever owned that I didn't immediately dive into settings and start tweaking. It was already impressive out of the box. Usually the first thing I'll do on a new TV is turn off the motion handling aka soap opera effect, but this set doesn't have a soap opera effect out of the box! While the bluray was great, I was considerably less impressed when watching Netflix, Amazon, and Charter Cable HD feed on a Tivo box. I think the display may be so good that it makes defects in source quality overly apparent. Same reason I don't wear wife beaters or skinny jeans

WebOS, the interface is goofy. Way more complex than it needs to be. Out of the box I couldn't even figure out how to just switch to hdmi 2 for example. You have to "setup a device" and tell it exactly what is plugged into hdmi 2 before you can access it. It's also super slow, never seen a TV so slow to switch through the settings menu.

The remote needs a lot more buttons. If it's going to control all your devices, it should at least have a pause and play button. Maybe there is a way to so it, but not an obvious one. I did like that you don't have to use it as a motion remote (does anyone really like that?) you can also just press the arrows to scroll through menus.

ABL. I've never seen ABL before, only heard it mentioned on here. What a bummer, it's quite annoying during bright scenes. Maybe someone could hack it to turn it off? If it's just an issue of the set burning out, I'd be willing to settle for reduced life span if it meant no ABL.

Sorry this post isn't more technical for your spec nerds out there, if my TV "tracks 2.4" is generally not something a normal person would know or care about. I'll leave those types of posts for the pros, I'm just a regular enthusiast. If there is something specific you want me to look or test for, just ask.

Oh, the curve isn't that bad. Very subtle compared to other curved sets I've seen. Sound is average, you'll need at least a soundbar, but what TV can't you say that about? XBR900 maybe.
nowknown likes this.

LG 55EC9300 + 2x 55EA8800 OLED + Sony 65XBR850A
Denon X5200W + Oppo BDP-103D
Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 40/30/FX + Rhythmik FV15HP
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX2 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Monitor Audio ASB-2 + Oppo BDP-103
OneStepAhead is offline  
post #120 of 3002 Old 08-23-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
Its not that a defect is going to magically appear three months later, it's just that you don't notice things immediately. It might take a certain piece of content to bring it out, or someone else to point it out to you. I just bought a new vehicle two months ago. At first I loved it but after about a week I can tell you a good dozen things that annoy me.

Yes keeping both the 9390 and 8800, they are going in different room in my house. 9300 will be in our master bedroom, 8800 will be in our babies room. Yes, our baby is starting off life with an OLED! Will be fun using it in art mode for him, and then we'll also watch it ourselves when we are in his room. At 3K, I couldn't pass up the 8800, especially when the next closest major retailer is at 4200. BB still lists it at 10k!

8800 will be here early next week. Picked up the EC9300 last night from Best Buy. First impressions:

Black levels are amazing, but we already knew that would be the case

Grey does have some uniformity issues, such as when I open the Amazon app

Super thin, I put a cigarette next to it and the TV is thinner!

First content I watched was Hell On Wheels Blu-Ray, really glad I watched a bluray first as the PQ was insane. Skin tones are fabulous, and this is the first set I've ever owned that I didn't immediately dive into settings and start tweaking. It was already impressive out of the box. Usually the first thing I'll do on a new TV is turn off the motion handling aka soap opera effect, but this set doesn't have a soap opera effect out of the box! While the bluray was great, I was considerably less impressed when watching Netflix, Amazon, and Charter Cable HD feed on a Tivo box. I think the display may be so good that it makes defects in source quality overly apparent. Same reason I don't wear wife beaters or skinny jeans

WebOS, the interface is goofy. Way more complex than it needs to be. Out of the box I couldn't even figure out how to just switch to hdmi 2 for example. You have to "setup a device" and tell it exactly what is plugged into hdmi 2 before you can access it. It's also super slow, never seen a TV so slow to switch through the settings menu.

The remote needs a lot more buttons. If it's going to control all your devices, it should at least have a pause and play button. Maybe there is a way to so it, but not an obvious one. I did like that you don't have to use it as a motion remote (does anyone really like that?) you can also just press the arrows to scroll through menus.

ABL. I've never seen ABL before, only heard it mentioned on here. What a bummer, it's quite annoying during bright scenes. Maybe someone could hack it to turn it off? If it's just an issue of the set burning out, I'd be willing to settle for reduced life span if it meant no ABL.

Sorry this post isn't more technical for your spec nerds out there, if my TV "tracks 2.4" is generally not something a normal person would know or care about. I'll leave those types of posts for the pros, I'm just a regular enthusiast. If there is something specific you want me to look or test for, just ask.

Oh, the curve isn't that bad. Very subtle compared to other curved sets I've seen. Sound is average, you'll need at least a soundbar, but what TV can't you say that about? XBR900 maybe.
Is the ABL just a single band across the screen?
Mattopotamus is offline  
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off