AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LG 55EC9300 55" OLED Owners ONLY Thread

324K views 3K replies 225 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 · (Edited)
My 9300 is in Las Vegas and will be here between 11am and 2pm. I will post photos starting with the look of the new box. I hope to have great things to say about this new OLED.

A true work of art has landed in my living room

See less See more
#7 ·
Nope, my 9800 was returned horrible uniformity issues. This is the number one item I will be interested to see if it is better. I would recommend those who are considering an LG OLED consider that the 9300 is also wall mountable. May not be an issue today but it might be something you wish you had if you ever move into a bedroom.

#16 · (Edited)
BREAKING NEWS! There are no Bad sub-pixels on my new 9300, no as in ZERO Bad sub-pixels. This is an absolute first and GREAT News

Another bit of Info, the new LG OLED is made in Mexico no longer being manufactured in Korea.

Sound Quality, night and day better than the 9800. Sound bar is best but much better out of the box sound.

#20 ·
BREAKING NEWS! There are no Bad sub-pixels on my new 9300, no as in ZERO Bad sub-pixels. This is an absolute first and GREAT News

Another bit of Info, the new LG OLED is made in Mexico no longer being manufactured in Korea.

Sound Quality, night and day better than the 9800. Sound bar is best but much better out of the box sound.
Is there any difference in picture quality? Did you have any problem with banding in your 9800?

#18 ·
Still playing with settings:
Standard is not very good and needs too be adjusted, Cinema seems much better and is adjustable. Looks like no banding in grey scale but color shift in standard mode that is not present in Cinema. The picture looks a little more like the Samsung OLED and a little less like the 9800 to me but it's still early.

Good uniformity all sub pixels up and firing, my early evaluation is a winner. I wish D-Nice lived in Las Vegas I would love to have an expert fine tune everything.

#21 ·
Every single 9800 had some uniformity issues (most minor) the 9300 has none. It has a color shift (which d-nice) stated can be calibrated to remove in standard mode that goes away in cinema. The darker shades are what I am referring too, some only had as yours slight edge, others had many more across the screen.

#51 ·
It has already been stated by David in the shootout thread that this option does nothing. DNR is still enabled. It's been like this on all LG sets - not just this OLED.

Yes, as described above but you can calibrate to remove and not visible in cinema mode. What was on the 9800 is not something that can be calibrated too remove And once your sub-pixels are dead, they are not coming back.
You can't calibrate out color uniformity issues because calibration settings apply to the entire screen. If the center is green and the edges are red, there is really nothing that can be done about it. I suggest you check out some Black & White movies to see if it's noticeable in actual content as D-Nice stated.

One of the patents LG has spoken of is the technology to restore bad sub pixels. I'm thinking they do that as a step after manufacturing. This is one of the steps they apparently do to improve yields.
If true, I wonder if that is a permanent fix or just a temporary revival long enough to keep people from returning the set in the first 30 days.

I'm not sure if you can test it, but I'm curious if you can see an increase in brightness when you max out the setting. LG was supposed to increase this spec substantially but I'm not sure if that just applied to the 4K sets.
The 9800 measured ~24 fL on full screen white. The 9300 measured 13 fL. Both sets hit about 100 fL on the smaller window pattern.

If those brightness increase claims are true, they must only apply to the UHD sets.

I wonder why LG made the ABL so much more aggressive on the 2014 model. Maybe to reduce IR/BI or prolong panel life?

#30 · (Edited)
Every year we should see slight improvements, I would say the 9300 is a little more than slight. If I was a purchaser today (as I am), I would no doubt purchase the 9300. It has every advantage of a year of R&D.

The setup menu and operating system is MUCH better than the 9800, everything is very fast and smooth.

#34 ·
I will post photos later as it's high noon in he living room and not the best time for photos. The box looks exactly the same as the 9800 so nothing exciting. The over display looks Much better than the 9800 as others stated the curve looks less without the goofy 9800 stand. No doubt it would look good on a wall, not as good as flat but curve looks slight.

#39 ·
Do we know for sure that this FW update wasn't available when D-nice did the calibration?
Now we would need to find out if LG simply re-added the DNR option without actually fixing it or if they listened to the criticism and and fixed it in only 4 days.
What would be the easiest way to test it?

#41 · (Edited)
Reviewed.com, Ok to use their CMS for gray scale accept I want -40 blue at 10 ire. Be carful because as with everything with this review, the calibrated settings are not written well.

I thought the update took but it did not until after I turned it off and on. The Review.com setting where horrible. Make sure you update prior to calibrating.

#45 ·
Saw the demo unit at BB Montclair. I spotted the Oled about 40-50 feet before I even hit the tv section. The Oled stood out from every LED/4k tv around it. Those blacks,unreal! Contrast and color were outstanding, although it looked like it needed to be "dialed in" a little bit. Just confirms my next tv will be an Oled. Probably the 65 though ;)

#48 · (Edited)
Speaking of the stand, I'd be interested in your report about how reflective the stand is in a dark room with bright screen content. As you know my 9800 stand is flush with the screen and clear. I don't have issues with distracting reflections in a dark room. The leaf stand projects out past the screen so wondering how it handles reflections.

#49 ·
Wow Vegas congratulations. I will buy my EC9300 as soon as it arrives here in my country.

Can you do a review of Game Mode please. Quality of this mode vs Cinema Mode, can you select BT709 Color Space while in Game Mode? IRE Calibration while in Game Mode - like in ISF Mode? No flicker?

Thank you.

#50 ·
The calibration setting from the review.com work very well. I know I was not a fan of it but the calibrator is very good. Just realize the top setting are for the 2 point and not the 20 pouint CMS. Professional calibration would best.

If you would tell me how to test input lag I would be glad to do it. There is not an ISF mode but a Cinema which is is similar but allowed tweaking.

IMO the 9300 is a better picture than the 9800 but each of us see things different,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.