1417Likes

post #511 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
I don't see it where? By the tip of the red arrow? nothing.
It's the PC magazine emblem. It's between the white arrow and the berry it points to.
Try moving your head back and away from the monitor your looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Went to my local BB today to take another look at this TV. I'm not in the market since I bought a new TV last year, just an enthusiast. An LG representative was there, I guess to make sure the thing was being displayed the way they wanted. He wanted it moved from the darker Magnolia room out to the main showroom. I told him I thought it would have more impact in a darker a room. It could destroy the LEDs next to it in a very dark room. I guess they want as many folks to walk past it as possible. Hell they should just set up 2 then.

FWIW, he told me the 65" would probably sell for about $6999 at BB. Also said BB's exclusive deal for the 55" will last about 60 days. Also said every BB in his territory now has a floor model (15 stores). So these are much easier to find than last years OLEDs, which were in only a handful of stores. Lastly he said the 77" will change from curved to flat at the push of a button. Anyone ever heard that before?

LG has announced that they would be introducing' bendable' OLEDs but the implication was for 2015.

On the other hand, they did just unexpectedly replace the 77EC9800 prior to introduction with the 77EG9700...

The LG rep made it sound like a 77" OLED would be out before the end of this year and that it would be bendable?

If yes, that is news. If he did not express confidence that there would be a 77" OLED before the end of this year, it could just mean that LG has elected to cancel the 2014 77" OLED (77EC9800) and wait until 2015 to introduce a 77" OLED (that is bendable) - the 77EG9700...
post #513 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 594
^^^ Prototype was like that at CES, I know if they make a production unit mine would be locked on flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Does this need to be transported upright?
Always the best way........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #514 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Lastly he said the 77" will change from curved to flat at the push of a button. Anyone ever heard that before?
Hmmm...I wonder if this is why the model number for the 77 inch OLED changed.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #515 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycamp5 View Post
Quote:
It's the PC magazine emblem. It's between the white arrow and the berry it points to.
Try moving your head back and away from the monitor your looking at.
Guess I'm blind. Don't see it bro.
post #516 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Don't gaze me bro!
RyanHomsey and stsjfsd like this.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
post #517 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
If that's the worst issue, we're looking pretty good. Even with the arrow, some can't see it.
post #518 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Did my initial set-up. Out of box picture is not good. None of my many LG's over the years have had a good out of box picture so this is nothing new. I went and turned off all the usual suspects and proceeded. My first impressions are as follows:

It's a nice looking piece of gear. Overall build quality if fine. Power cable is non-detachable. HDMI inputs 2 thru 4 are on the side, however #1 (w/ ARC) is on the back which makes things a bit screwy for my cabling. I just renumbered my inputs on the Harmony One so I could keep my cable runs in the same place.

Initial boot time was at least 4 or 5 minutes while the system loaded for the first time. I bypassed all the smart TV stuff for now and went straight into the Picture adjustment menus.

For me, the curve is unwanted, unnecessary and induces slight perceived geometry anomalies. This would be much less on a larger screen I would think. Many members here are likely to be put off by the curve, slight as it is. Other than LG having a problem manufacturing flat OLED screens, I really see no need for it to be curved. It is not a selling point for me. I can get used to it. *** wish it were flat though

I do NOT like the new menu system OR the way it works in regards to raising and lowering values on the settings. It is just a bit too clever for it's own good and not immediately intuitive. I will get used to it, but it has initially slowed me down some. You can not wrap around to the top of the list from the bottom either. Maybe a firmware update will fix that I am hoping. Using the included remote is not as fast as using a properly programmed Harmony, and my only real use for the magic remote is to use the cursor when needed.

I notice the motion handling seem "off" to me and settings that worked perfectly with all other LG TV's are not cutting the mustard right now. I will need to play with it some more over the next few days. This alone MIGHT be a deal breaker. I saw judder where I never saw it before with any of my other LG's. A bit scary actually and it is on m mind as I type this. Only working with 60hz right now and don't expect to see the same thing with 24 fps content. (I hope)

Finding the "sweet spot" between OLED level, Contrast and Brightness is the key and with this tech they are not quite working the way I am used to. Please share your settings. Once I get it looking right to me I will post mine.

I can say right now that I saw virtually no signs of horizontal lines and I tried as much varied content as my full channel lineup has to offer. Golf, Hockey, Baseball and Tennis all looked good on pans with solid backgrounds. No unwanted "star burst" type effects (rings) on fadeouts and no visible horizontal banding either. Again , the only nasty thing I saw tonight was jerky motion on content I watch nightly. I am honestly surprised this would even be an issue.. Time will tell what it is going to take to get rid of it. (if anyone has any suggestions, now is the time) Thanks!

I only worked with one input this afternoon, the one connected to my FIOS Motorola DVR. Virtually impossible to calibrate it really as the signal , bit rate and overall PQ on each channel varies greatly. Basically, I already know it will be a trade off with the DVR input. It always is. Tomorrow I am diving into the Oppo 95 input and have Spears and Munsil at the ready. That should give me a much better idea of where this TV is at regarding the interplay between the main picture adjustments.

A few times I got very close to an excellent picture but I was just ball parking things for now. Again, your DVR is not a good place to start trying to dial in this beastie. Tomorrow will tell the tale, however long it takes me I will not stop until I get it looking right.

Speaker level is much lower for the shown number than my last few LG's. Of course none of us are planning on using them for anything more than minor viewing at best....... Speaker bar in the LA9700 blows this away sound wise. No surprise there.

Menu screens all seem a bit sluggish compared to the LA9700 this is hopefully replacing. I find some of the menu decisions to be dubious at best and long for the previous OS. It will take a bit of time before I get fast with this.

So that's it for now. Out of box picture less than stellar, and motion problems are readily apparent. The PQ can be dealt with, not so sure about the Tru Motion algorithm.
post #519 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGillis View Post
Did my initial set-up. Out of box picture is not good. None of my many LG's over the years have had a good out of box picture so this is nothing new. I went and turned off all the usual suspects and proceeded. My first impressions are as follows:

It's a nice looking piece of gear. Overall build quality if fine. Power cable is non-detachable. HDMI inputs 2 thru 4 are on the side, however #1 (w/ ARC) is on the back which makes things a bit screwy for my cabling. I just renumbered my inputs on the Harmony One so I could keep my cable runs in the same place.

Initial boot time was at least 4 or 5 minutes while the system loaded for the first time. I bypassed all the smart TV stuff for now and went straight into the Picture adjustment menus.

For me, the curve is unwanted, unnecessary and induces slight perceived geometry anomalies. This would be much less on a larger screen I would think. Many members here are likely to be put off by the curve, slight as it is. Other than LG having a problem manufacturing flat OLED screens, I really see no need for it to be curved. It is not a selling point for me. I can get used to it. *** wish it were flat though

I do NOT like the new menu system OR the way it works in regards to raising and lowering values on the settings. It is just a bit too clever for it's own good and not immediately intuitive. I will get used to it, but it has initially slowed me down some. You can not wrap around to the top of the list from the bottom either. Maybe a firmware update will fix that I am hoping. Using the included remote is not as fast as using a properly programmed Harmony, and my only real use for the magic remote is to use the cursor when needed.

I notice the motion handling seem "off" to me and settings that worked perfectly with all other LG TV's are not cutting the mustard right now. I will need to play with it some more over the next few days. This alone MIGHT be a deal breaker. I saw judder where I never saw it before with any of my other LG's. A bit scary actually and it is on m mind as I type this. Only working with 60hz right now and don't expect to see the same thing with 24 fps content. (I hope)

Finding the "sweet spot" between OLED level, Contrast and Brightness is the key and with this tech they are not quite working the way I am used to. Please share your settings. Once I get it looking right to me I will post mine.

I can say right now that I saw virtually no signs of horizontal lines and I tried as much varied content as my full channel lineup has to offer. Golf, Hockey, Baseball and Tennis all looked good on pans with solid backgrounds. No unwanted "star burst" type effects (rings) on fadeouts and no visible horizontal banding either. Again , the only nasty thing I saw tonight was jerky motion on content I watch nightly. I am honestly surprised this would even be an issue.. Time will tell what it is going to take to get rid of it. (if anyone has any suggestions, now is the time) Thanks!

I only worked with one input this afternoon, the one connected to my FIOS Motorola DVR. Virtually impossible to calibrate it really as the signal , bit rate and overall PQ on each channel varies greatly. Basically, I already know it will be a trade off with the DVR input. It always is. Tomorrow I am diving into the Oppo 95 input and have Spears and Munsil at the ready. That should give me a much better idea of where this TV is at regarding the interplay between the main picture adjustments.

A few times I got very close to an excellent picture but I was just ball parking things for now. Again, your DVR is not a good place to start trying to dial in this beastie. Tomorrow will tell the tale, however long it takes me I will not stop until I get it looking right.

Speaker level is much lower for the shown number than my last few LG's. Of course none of us are planning on using them for anything more than minor viewing at best....... Speaker bar in the LA9700 blows this away sound wise. No surprise there.

Menu screens all seem a bit sluggish compared to the LA9700 this is hopefully replacing. I find some of the menu decisions to be dubious at best and long for the previous OS. It will take a bit of time before I get fast with this.

So that's it for now. Out of box picture less than stellar, and motion problems are readily apparent. The PQ can be dealt with, not so sure about the Tru Motion algorithm.

Marty,

thanks for taking the time for this thoughtful and thorough (very preliminary) review.

I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting you assessment of your new OLED once you feel you have gotten it dialed-in as well as possible (especially as a fellow LG LED/LCD owner :-)

Since you already have the LG LA 9700, I'm also interested on how you contrast those two sets. The LA9700 is FALD but got pretty poor reviews for noticeable non-uniformity issues - do you agree with this assessment? If you end up deciding the 55EC9300 does not measure up to the LA9700 in any areas of PQ, I would appreciate to know where and by how much.

Thanks again for your efforts - they are much appreciated!
post #520 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Hi, you did the firmware update?
post #521 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Hi, you did the firmware update?
Just did a huge firmware update and motion problems have improved greatly. Night and day difference now.
IR is visible from scene to scene at times, but nothing major and fades as fast as you see it. Hopefully that will die down over time.

I am purposely trying to find things wrong with this thing but most everything that has bothered me over the years with LCD seems to be a thing of the past for the most part. NO BANDING on golf. NO DSE/Clouding during Hockey! Snow looks like snow, even on pans! I am feeling good about my purchase and the motion handling with 60hz material looks very good with "1" and "2" selected in the Tru Motion user menu. Smooths things out without introducing SOE.
Ken Ross and stsjfsd like this.
post #522 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Just did a huge firmware update and motion problems have improved greatly. Night and day difference now.
IR is visible from scene to scene at times, but nothing major and fades as fast as you see it. Hopefully that will die down over time.

I am purposely trying to find things wrong with this thing but most everything that has bothered me over the years with LCD seems to be a thing of the past for the most part. NO BANDING on golf. NO DSE/Clouding during Hockey! Snow looks like snow, even on pans! I am feeling good about my purchase and the motion handling with 60hz material looks very good with "1" and "2" selected in the Tru Motion user menu. Smooths things out without introducing SOE.
What's the date/firmware version? I did an update 2 days ago and haven't received another. My motion is still awful.

Here's my calibrated settings using i1 Display Pro + HCFR:

Picture Mode: ISF Expert1
OLED LIGHT: 33
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

(Expert Control)
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2

(White Balance)
Color Temp Warm2
2 point low: -7 0 -5
2 point high: -6 0 -6
100 IRE: -2 0 -2
95 IRE: 0 0 -4
90 IRE: 2 0 -3
85 IRE: 1 0 -4
80 IRE: 2 0 -1
75 IRE: 0 0 1
70 IRE: 2 0 2
65 IRE: 3 0 5
60 IRE: 1 0 7
55 IRE: -3 0 2
50 IRE: -4 1 -4
45 IRE: -2 0 -1
40 IRE: 7 1 6
35 IRE: 5 0 0
30 IRE: 1 1 -1
25 IRE: 3 2 5
20 IRE: -3 0 -8
15 IRE: 6 2 -1
10 IRE: 2 1 -32
5 IRE: 6 5 -27
Need to do both 2 point and 20 point settings.

(Picture Options)
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema/TrueMotion Preference

May appear green-ish compared to defaults, the set pushes a lot of red by default.
MartyGillis and ONDr like this.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-27-2014 at 09:52 PM.
post #523 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Marty,

thanks for taking the time for this thoughtful and thorough (very preliminary) review.

I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting you assessment of your new OLED once you feel you have gotten it dialed-in as well as possible (especially as a fellow LG LED/LCD owner :-)

Since you already have the LG LA 9700, I'm also interested on how you contrast those two sets. The LA9700 is FALD but got pretty poor reviews for noticeable non-uniformity issues - do you agree with this assessment? If you end up deciding the 55EC9300 does not measure up to the LA9700 in any areas of PQ, I would appreciate to know where and by how much.

Thanks again for your efforts - they are much appreciated!
Thanks for your kind remarks.

So far, the 9300 EXCEEDS all other LG sets I have owned. I was initially worried that I had become too used to the upscaled 4K picture of my previous set and that 1080p would be somewhat of a let down. Not so!

I have now seen many instances of 3D pop coming from 2D material that I would have never seen on the 9700. I saw a Nexium commercial where the actual pill shown was popping right out of the screen and some car commercials that positively looked 3D. Amazing what the right amount of shadow detail can do. Also, without the flashlighting , halos and light leakage I was used to, it is uncanny how good films with black bars now appear. 4:3 content takes on a whole new level of presentation as well.

I stared as hard as I could for standout uniformity issues and so far have not seen them. At least not in real world content. NO display is perfect and I understand that, but if the things I love to watch LOOK perfect, then I am going to be very very pleased with this thing.

I am prepared to go to warp speed when I fire up the Oppo tomorrow. Just watching the Fios tonight and it has never looked this good. NEVER! Being totally OCD about my PQ, I do worry about burn in, but I tend to not abuse my displays and hopefully I won't get nailed with any.

I do have a question for anyone out there. Am I correct in assuming that watching 4:3 or letter box films should have virtually NO effect on Burn In due to the fact that the black we see is simple the OLED elements being all the way OFF? I can't see how that alone could cause any burn in at all. Or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your reply.
nowknown and Ken Ross like this.
post #524 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=Tyrindor;26941665]What's the date/firmware version? I did an update 2 days ago and haven't received another. My motion is still awful.

Firmware version is 4.30.08. THANKS for the settings!
post #525 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
What's the date/firmware version? I did an update 2 days ago and haven't received another. My motion is still awful.

Firmware version is 4.30.08. THANKS for the settings!
Please let me know how they look for you. My charts were basically perfect on those settings, with luminance being a tad high (I think due to ABL it's impossible to get perfectly right). I'm working on a 2.4 gamma profile, but it takes forever to get 20 point gamma right. One thing I noticed, no matter the settings, the yellows on Simpsons do not appear vivid like they do on my other 3 calibrated displays. Not sure why, everything else looks virtually identical color-wise when compared side by side.

Same firmware for me. I will try your settings of De-judder 1 and De-blur 2.

Quote:
I do have a question for anyone out there. Am I correct in assuming that watching 4:3 or letter box films should have virtually NO effect on Burn In due to the fact that the black we see is simple the OLED elements being all the way OFF? I can't see how that alone could cause any burn in at all. Or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your reply.
That's my understanding. If you are curious, watch a movie and then immediately throw up a completely gray image. The TV can do this automatically if you go into white balance and select "Inner" for the pattern. I haven't seen any from that yet, but I did get some pretty bad retention from the TV's menus while calibrating. I actually stopped calibrating my 2.4 profile because it became quite noticeable... :|
MartyGillis likes this.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-27-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #526 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far, the 9300 EXCEEDS all other LG sets I have owned. I was initially worried that I had become too used to the upscaled 4K picture of my previous set and that 1080p would be somewhat of a let down. Not so!

I have now seen many instances of 3D pop coming from 2D material that I would have never seen on the 9700. I saw a Nexium commercial where the actual pill shown was popping right out of the screen and some car commercials that positively looked 3D. Amazing what the right amount of shadow detail can do. Also, without the flashlighting , halos and light leakage I was used to, it is uncanny how good films with black bars now appear. 4:3 content takes on a whole new level of presentation as well.

I stared as hard as I could for standout uniformity issues and so far have not seen them. At least not in real world content. NO display is perfect and I understand that, but if the things I love to watch LOOK perfect, then I am going to be very very pleased with this thing.

I am prepared to go to warp speed when I fire up the Oppo tomorrow. Just watching the Fios tonight and it has never looked this good. NEVER! Being totally OCD about my PQ, I do worry about burn in, but I tend to not abuse my displays and hopefully I won't get nailed with any.

Some early 55EA9800 reported IR after watching letterbox movies for an extended time. The letterbox areas appeared to be darker after returning to full-screen content. There were some reports that this effect could be erased by cycling power on the set. The more recent owners have not reported the same effect so the hope is that it has been largely corrected by LG. If you are interested in learning more, suggest you wade through the roller-coaster ride that is the 55EA9800 Owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...-s-thread.html (posts by ThePlague are the most informative).
MartyGillis likes this.
post #527 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

The potential for lb or 4:3 burn in makes 0 sense to me
The pixels are off so the only alternative is that the on pixels are aging fast enough to show a visual difference
There is no way the center portion of the screen is aging fast enough to make a difference in overall screen appearance , especially after a 2 hour movie
I can see it over time, with a high % of use being lb movies although at that point, I'm comparing ir to burn in
MartyGillis likes this.
post #528 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM

That's my understanding. If you are curious, watch a movie and then immediately throw up a completely gray image. The TV can do this automatically if you go into white balance and select "Inner" for the pattern. I haven't seen any from that yet, but I did get some pretty bad retention from the TV's menus while calibrating.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I am too pooped to pop now but will hit the settings first thing after my coffee tomorrow morning. THANKS so much for posting them. I do not own a meter so this is gonna put me really close to where I want to be.

One of the reason I stopped using Plasma was my love of 4:3 content which of course was harmful to the display and I refuse to stretch it. My Kuro was gorgeous but I was always a bit nervous while using it for anything but a full 16:9 frame.

If I can use this TV without worry in that regard, it is well worth the price of admission. Thanks again for the calibrated settings. I know they represent a lot of work and time.
post #529 of 2088 Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Some early 55EA9800 reported IR after watching letterbox movies for an extended time. The letterbox areas appeared to be darker after returning to full-screen content. There were some reports that this effect could be erased by cycling power on the set. The more recent owners have not reported the same effect so the hope is that it has been largely corrected by LG. If you are interested in learning more, suggest you wade through the roller-coaster ride that is the 55EA9800 Owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...-s-thread.html (posts by ThePlague are the most informative).
Thanks, just bookmarked it!
post #530 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I see it clearly even without my glasses.
@Tyrindor
Missing detail on the sides in actual movie content was just what I was expecting, when you mentioned the loss of 1% and 2% above black on the sides of the screen in test slides. It's the same problem, two users over here in Germany had with their 55EA9800 and they returned it cause of that issue.

The horizontal lines caused by the lower pixel fill rate of the LG set compared to the competition sounds also not very good, if you sit close to the screen. I hope this will be a thing of the past with the 65EC9700.

@Ken Ross
You are obviously a "Schönwetterredner".
post #531 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
ABL is very annoying for animation shows. Watching something like Family Guy, you can clearly see it adjust and some scenes were clearly way dimmer than they were suppose to be. I notice it all the time on this set.
Maybe your lightoutput is set too high. With 80/33 (Contrast/OL) you must be at 170 cd/m2 in a 1/4-pattern. Try to lower this to at least 120 cd/m2.

Last edited by Turrican4D; 08-28-2014 at 05:15 AM.
post #532 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
It took a while before I could see it. The problem was with my older monitor with limited bit depth. I had to move it to a photo editor and screw with the gamma curve severely in order to see it. That's not to say that the image isn't immediately apparent on the TV----hard to tell----a couple unknowns in the channel (camera + my display).

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #533 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
If that's the worst issue, we're looking pretty good. Even with the arrow, some can't see it.
You have to take into account the monitor they're using to view it. Mine seems to crush those neighboring reds together unless gamma'd to death in an editor.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #534 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I don't know if this information is allowed to be posted, but I think it's good information for fellow members so hopefully this is OK.

I ended up buying from BestBuy. I take delivery tomorrow.

BestBuy's headquarters are here in the Twin Cities and in my area as least they would not move at all on the price. But right now they are including a decent LG SoundBar which I can use on another TV, plus if you pay with your BestBuy credit card (which I did) you get $350 back in rewards dollars. Purchasing this set automatically puts you into their highest rewards class so you have up to a year to spend the rewards dollars. I haggled until they also threw in a $250 Logitech Universal remote which I had also been considering.

Last edited by Rich Peterson; 08-28-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #535 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This now sounds more consistent with other owner reviews. I was almost certain there was something not right with your 60hz judder complaint as I've never seen that mentioned elsewhere. Good to see the firmware update solved that since that was your biggest issue.

Personally I'm encouraged by your reference to 'snow looks like snow' since that is often a bugaboo with plasmas. Large expanses of snow don't, IMO, look like snow on most plasmas. So again it seems that the ABL is less visible on content than on full-screen slides.

I suspect things will continue to get better for you. Keep in mind that it's been mentioned in several professional reviews that IR is at its worst in the first 100 hours or so. So this too should diminish over time.

Thanks for your updates.
fafrd likes this.
post #536 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

Here's my calibrated settings using i1 Display Pro + HCFR:

May appear green-ish compared to defaults, the set pushes a lot of red by default.
I was reading an old thread about calibration of OLED on the SpectralCal forum which had this link to a whitepaper. I was wondering if you change anything for OLED in HCFR for you calibration. I use Calman myself which has the option to change spectro color matching function.

Just wondering if OLED looks any "different" after the calibration if you have another calibrated TV nearby for comparison?
post #537 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Marty, I would not assume that! Treat this display just like you would a plasma. Remember, for the most part, we're talking about uneven wear and 4:3 content as well as LB content does produce uneven wear. Be particularly careful to mix both 4:3 & LB content with an equal amount of full screen, 16:9 content. I absolutely would be very careful with this for the first several hundred hours. Why ask for problems?
post #538 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
@Ken Ross
You are obviously a "Schönwetterredner".
I have no idea what that is and probably don't want to know.
post #539 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
You have to take into account the monitor they're using to view it. Mine seems to crush those neighboring reds together unless gamma'd to death in an editor.
Yeah, I can see it on my 4K monitor, but it's surely not nearly as bad as some IR/burn-in I've seen on plasmas. If it was very obvious, no arrow would have been necessary to direct the viewer's attention.
post #540 of 2088 Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM

More random observations

Ready to start applying calibrated settings now.
(thanks again)

Had a hard time turning off my brain last night and getting to sleep. A few things spring to mind about this panel and the TV as a whole.

I am disappointed the designers opted for the "chrome" trim. It catches and reflects light and with absolute black on the sides and/or top during films, it sort of defeats it's own purpose in that regard. Instead of the TV disappearing, if you have even one light on, it will reflect it back at you, showing the edges of the TV. Bonehead design movie IMHO.

The actual panel itself is highly reflective as it is, so adding more ways for reflected light to horn in on our almost perfect OLED PQ is a major faux pas to me.

While I am on the subject of reflections, one thing I didn't bargain on was the fact that the curve introduces reflection from the opposite sides of the panel. if you have a dark scene with a bright light on one side or the other, it will reflect from the dark side which is a slap in the face as far as absolute black goes. I can't say it totally bothers me (yet) but I noticed it within minutes and once you see it happening, you will see it every time it happens. This should have been taken into account by the designers. Those of us who watch in dark rooms and do everything we can to avoid glare and reflection will be hard pressed to do anything about this particular anomaly.

Motion problems keep cropping, up but since my firmware update they are intermittent. It almost seems as if the 9300 can't quite identify the proper cadence at times. If I stop my DVR and then start it I can actually see it "Latch on" to the cadence and things are fine. I notice more problems with 60hz and almost none with 24 fps material.

Just one more thing, the 9300 is unforgiving with sub standard content. Poor encodes and lousy transfers or print quality will be revealed in full with this display. Much like a good high resolution audio system, if it is good, it will look/sound great, if it isn't it will reveal just how bad the video file really is.

Ok, enough of my griping. I also have some very positive things to add.

First off, this is hands down the best overall HD rendering I have ever had the pleasure of seeing/watching. Viewed about half an hour of "Nobody's Fool" last night before bed , recorded from Epix on my Fios DVR and I was sucked right into the film. Things popped all over the place and in both subtle and blatant ways. You could almost see around corners on the streets. For years the old tired cliche for HD marketing has always been "It's like looking out a window", but in THIS case, it is just about true. I forgot about any anomalies and even forgot I was watching my new TV as I was sucked into the actual visuals in a way I can honestly say I have never been before. A larger version of this TV could keep you out of the multiplex for life. I watch in a fully darkened room and about 7 and 1/2 feet from the screen, dead center in the sweet spot.

Color "richness" (for a lack of a better way to describe it) is gorgeous. May have something to do with the 10 bit math. Black levels, well we already know about them. At this point, warts and all, I could never go back to watching LCD displays again.

Time for another cup of coffee and some serious tweaking. I am still a bit iffy on the motion problems. I am really hoping it is in the software and can be addressed and soon. Using this display without Tru Motion engaged at some level is just about impossible for me so it just HAS to work or it goes back.
nowknown, fafrd, stsjfsd and 1 others like this.

Last edited by MartyGillis; 08-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page