LG 55EC9300 55" OLED Owners Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1360Likes

post #1141 of 1984 Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This is going to sound silly, how does one turn off the speakers on this TV, i don't see an option for it. Or is selecting Sound Out and selecting optical turning off the speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are you able to capture those motion anomalies on video? Youtube?
post #1143 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It ain't a OLED until Sony releases it's goods.
post #1144 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Please grab a video camera from a friend and upload a video somewhere. Would surely also help LG trying to fix it if they're willing to do so.
post #1145 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Let's not forget the DigitalTrends preview which specifically mentioned motion issues which they didn't see on other sets.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/hands-o...#ixzz3C5wKoHKI

I will try to borrow a copy of this movie and see what it does on my CRT and LCOS displays. I will also try testing it at BB on the OLED as I'm curious what's happening here.

I suspect that just like you can't turn off DNR, you also can't fully turn off the motion enhancement processing on this set and it is introducing artifacts in some content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post
Assuming that it is not caused by some sort of image processing bug, what you are describing here honestly sounds like you are just seeing the effects Contrary to popular belief, OLED does not have "perfect" viewing angles, and certain technologies to improve image quality (color purity and saturation) actually have a negative effect on the viewing angle. Even Sony's broadcast monitors suffered from this problem. (tinting green at an angle)
Someone posted a link earlier to measurements taken with a meter of various screen locations on the flat OLED. While you could calibrate one screen location, the gray dE error would go as high as 6.xx in other parts of the screen. Unlike cameras and our eyes, the meters don't lie so this is definitely present in the panel.
MartyGillis likes this.
post #1146 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone talked to LG about the problem with yellow and pink on grey/white backgrounds? I talked with them on chat(norway) and they hadn´t heard about it... They told me to send some pictures some pictures, so it will be interesting to see what they say.
post #1147 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytyler24 View Post
Guy's long time lurker on AVS forum, but hardly ever post. I've been reeding this thread since it's start. I just had my 55ec9300 delivered today. Pic is phenomenal but Marty's observation of motion judder now has me worried.

However the reason why i'm posting is that I tried to mount this to my VESA TV stand and found that there are only 2 holes on the back of the TV. The screws provided by LG is not long enough for the stand.

So 2 questions.

Did people install this to the wall or TV stand using a VESA mount with only the 2 holes? That seems like it's not enough? Reviewing the instruction manual has a wall mount "hanger" but that won't work for my application, I want to install it to my standard VESA mount.

If you did install it just with the 2 holes, did you purchase other M6 screws with a longer depth as these will not even fit into the holes once the bracket is in place.

Thanks for all your help

Hi,
I mounted my new 55ec9300 using my existing VESA mount. The VESA mount came with a sett of screws, and I found two M6 screws with the right lenght.
It's now hanging pretty on the wall
magnusr likes this.
post #1148 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
Hi,
I mounted my new 55ec9300 using my existing VESA mount. The VESA mount came with a sett of screws, and I found two M6 screws with the right lenght.
It's now hanging pretty on the wall
Could you take a picture inbetween the tv and the wall so we can see? Thanks in advance.

AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Arcam rDAC, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: LG Oled 55EC930V (US: 5EC9300), HTPC: ATI 280x, Windows 8.1 with blu-ray
post #1149 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
I love how smoothly this thread is operating now.
Mattopotamus and Yappadappadu like this.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #1150 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smile

Good Morning fellow OLED OCD'ers !

I've just pulled the trigger on this set @ Best Buy last night.
I was there on Monday, and they didn't have it on display yet.
Low & behold: i dropped by last night & they had it set-up .

After staring at it for a while, i've asked the rep if he could match the CP price.
He asked to provide a printout of the CP site & the manager approved the override.
He even lowered the tax rate to 6% (as opposed to 8% here in Philly).

I'm pretty excited to be taking delivery on Friday, but i'll have to be patient. I won't be able to play with it for a few days until all of my furniture has been set up

I DID notice that the UI was very laggy in demo mode. It seems like LG had cheaped out on the CPU. I certainly hope that they'll optimize the firmware as best as they can!!
Other than that, the DEMO content was eyegasmic!
MartyGillis likes this.

Last edited by lvov7342; 09-03-2014 at 06:15 AM.
post #1151 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAsghar View Post
This is going to sound silly, how does one turn off the speakers on this TV, i don't see an option for it. Or is selecting Sound Out and selecting optical turning off the speakers?
Go into the tool menu, select the sound icon and then change the sound output from "TV" to "External' which effectively shuts off the speaker. There is no "speaker off" option but this accomplishes it.
DPAsghar likes this.
post #1152 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvov7342 View Post
Good Morning fellow OLED OCD'ers !

I've just pulled the trigger on this set @ Best Buy last night.
I was there on Monday, and they didn't have it on display yet.
Low & behold: i dropped by last night & they had it set-up .

After staring at it for a while, i've asked the rep if he could match the CP price.
He asked to provide a printout of the CP site & the manager approved the override.
He even lowered the tax rate to 6% (as opposed to 8% here in Philly).

I'm pretty excited to be taking delivery on Friday, but i'll have to be patient. I won't be able to play with it for a few days until all of my furniture has been set up

I DID notice that the UI was very laggy in demo mode. It seems like LG had cheaped out on the CPU. I certainly hope that they'll optimize the firmware as best as they can!!
Otherwise the DEMO content was eyegasmic!
Congrats on the TV AND for getting BB to kick down with the Ducats! A decent deal.
lvov7342 likes this.
post #1153 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytyler24 View Post
Guy's long time lurker on AVS forum, but hardly ever post. I've been reeding this thread since it's start. I just had my 55ec9300 delivered today. Pic is phenomenal but Marty's observation of motion judder now has me worried.

However the reason why i'm posting is that I tried to mount this to my VESA TV stand and found that there are only 2 holes on the back of the TV. The screws provided by LG is not long enough for the stand.

So 2 questions.

Did people install this to the wall or TV stand using a VESA mount with only the 2 holes? That seems like it's not enough? Reviewing the instruction manual has a wall mount "hanger" but that won't work for my application, I want to install it to my standard VESA mount.

If you did install it just with the 2 holes, did you purchase other M6 screws with a longer depth as these will not even fit into the holes once the bracket is in place.

Thanks for all your help
Don't let me post scare ya! While the judder is real on certain titles it apparently rarely shows itself. I plan to mix it up today with as much differing BD content as I can get to and see if even one of them can cause the display to choke again.

I am also going to try and replicate it in slow mo and if so i will take a pic and post it. I am over my initial tantrum and know deep down I will never be able to go back to LCD again so I will take the very small % of judder if it gets me all the immense benefits of this panel.

That said, I sure hope LG can re-engineer their Tru Motion engine to better suit this type of display. It's almost as if they threw in the LCD Tru Motion algorithm and hoped it would suffice. It doesn't. Not when you encounter really bad motion artifacts. All my other LG's responded to low user settings, but not this one.

Bottom line: this is still the best display going, warts and all. Honestly........
Ken Ross, Hinsoog and SinDecade like this.
post #1154 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Yes. Very little judder.
mo949 likes this.
post #1155 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGillis View Post
Don't let me post scare ya! While the judder is real on certain titles it apparently rarely shows itself. I plan to mix it up today with as much differing BD content as I can get to and see if even one of them can cause the display to choke again.

I am also going to try and replicate it in slow mo and if so i will take a pic and post it. I am over my initial tantrum and know deep down I will never be able to go back to LCD again so I will take the very small % of judder if it gets me all the immense benefits of this panel.

That said, I sure hope LG can re-engineer their Tru Motion engine to better suit this type of display. It's almost as if they threw in the LCD Tru Motion algorithm and hoped it would suffice. It doesn't. Not when you encounter really bad motion artifacts. All my other LG's responded to low user settings, but not this one.

Bottom line: this is still the best display going, warts and all. Honestly........
I've been reading the whole lot in this thread during the last couple of days, and I must say, that I'm glad to see that you have come to the conclusion, that all the pros upweighs the judder

I'm still awaiting more info on the matter though, cause I'd hate having to return it if it's not something they can or will improve. Can't have those oled withdrawals!

I'm 90% positive that I'll end up with this set though, after reading all of these pages
MartyGillis likes this.
post #1156 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinDecade View Post
I'm 90% positive that I'll end up with this set though, after reading all of these pages
And I'm 90% positive you won't regret it if you do.
Hinsoog, MartyGillis and SinDecade like this.
post #1157 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The judder issue well it was like 10-20 seconds of a 2.5-3 hour movie.

It reminds me of what i mentioned before when my old sammy would puke all over itself on the planet earth dvd when the birds flocked. That anomaly was massive pixelation of the whole screen.

I ended up keeping that panel.

Honestly, i am leaning towards keeping this one as well. It just does everything else well. Plus i'll prolly never watch the smaug bluray again either

I just cant imagine going back to an lcd - at least not the current state of the art.

And my location doesn't give me a whole lot of margin to get the F8500 as i am at around 5400 ft already and there are plenty of places i would live above 6500 ft - then its prolly buzz city - unless i get lucky, and there is no way to know that.

Hell yesterday i watched 10 min of a frikken slide show! lol
post #1158 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowbeyond1 View Post
Hell yesterday i watched 10 min of a frikken slide show! lol
LOL, now THAT really says it all

Yeah, you're right, 10-20 seconds of juddering ain't all that bad, I just didn't expect it from a tv in this price range. But we can't have it all I guess

My initial thought, was that it wasn't just the desolation of smaug bluray that caused this, but more so animated fast scenes, or lighting with panning? Or am I mixing it all up now? lol
post #1159 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinDecade View Post
LOL, now THAT really says it all

Yeah, you're right, 10-20 seconds of juddering ain't all that bad, I just didn't expect it from a tv in this price range. But we can't have it all I guess

My initial thought, was that it wasn't just the desolation of smaug bluray that caused this, but more so animated fast scenes, or lighting with panning? Or am I mixing it all up now? lol
Nope, you are not mixed up! (well maybe) I know I am !! Anyway, I have reproduced this artifact on multiple titles, always with the same picture composition. The original Arthur is another offender.
Seems the artifact is not limited to any certain title or encode but instead involves scenes that feature stationary bright objects during sideways pans. And not ALL of them will induce it. I tried to force the issue watching the BD of Cocoon last night and even with the glowing Aliens and all that, the 9300 tracked it perfectly with no judder. Of course, they weren't stationary.

Unofficial channels have hinted at the possibility for a soon to be coming firmware update that will address this. Unseen forces working behind the scenes are facilitating this and I can say no more. (heck I don't know any more! lol)

I have calmed down and quite honestly it is such a LUSH display that I would need to get my head examined if I ever seriously thought about returning it.
As Jim Carrey once said, "Somebody stop me!"
bigtom4prez and SinDecade like this.
post #1160 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
"I didn't get to try the included web browser, is it properly smooth? Is flash supported (this would enable various streaming services to work with the browser)?
Flash is not supported. I tried to call up amctv.com Hell on Wheels to play a clip but it would not work. So have to plug in my phone and then call it up to get it to play. Seems a bit archaic to me.

Been looking at OLED's, even before the first were released. I really had been thinking about buying the
9300, although I would really prefer a 60", as that would be the "perfect fit" for the entertainment center that my old Sharp Aquos resides in now.

BUTTTT~~~~~ one of my goals was to eliminate the computer that I have tied into the TV so I can watch Wev-TV. I like to watch on-line golf, (among other things)~~~which do use the flash player as I recall. This has not that much to do with OLED as it does "Smart TV", so is the TV "Not Smart Enough"
to play Web-TV without a computer?~~~~~If so, I will wait until they are and "hang in there" with the old Sharp and the computer.

Thanks , in advance, for any inputs here!!!

Gary
post #1161 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz View Post
It ain't a OLED until Sony releases it's goods.
Sony usually does not even make there own panels, I know they buy LG LED panels for most of there TV's.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #1162 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGillis View Post
Nope, you are not mixed up! (well maybe) I know I am !! Anyway, I have reproduced this artifact on multiple titles, always with the same picture composition. The original Arthur is another offender.
Seems the artifact is not limited to any certain title or encode but instead involves scenes that feature stationary bright objects during sideways pans. And not ALL of them will induce it. I tried to force the issue watching the BD of Cocoon last night and even with the glowing Aliens and all that, the 9300 tracked it perfectly with no judder. Of course, they weren't stationary.

Unofficial channels have hinted at the possibility for a soon to be coming firmware update that will address this. Unseen forces working behind the scenes are facilitating this and I can say no more. (heck I don't know any more! lol)

I have calmed down and quite honestly it is such a LUSH display that I would need to get my head examined if I ever seriously thought about returning it.
As Jim Carrey once said, "Somebody stop me!"
Haha, for a second I thought you had some actual insider info there Sounds good to me. Just the fact that they'll address it, is enough to make me, let's say 95% sure now, that I'll buy the set. Maybe I'm being naive, but if it was something they couldn't possibly fix with firmware, I find it hard to believe that they'd even as much as state they'd look into it

The tv is set to be released in a week from now in my country. Hoping for a fast price drop, or at least a soundbar included (I know, so greedy!)...
MartyGillis likes this.
post #1163 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Got mine 55ec930v today. So far it looks perfect I see a post here talking about disabling daylight saving. How do you disable this setting? I cant locate it in the menu at first sight.

I put it to home mode during setup. Swapped to cinema image. Turned off all enhancements. Energy saving off. Updated the firmware to the latest.

AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Arcam rDAC, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: LG Oled 55EC930V (US: 5EC9300), HTPC: ATI 280x, Windows 8.1 with blu-ray

Last edited by magnusr; 09-03-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #1164 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
Got mine 55ec930v today. So far it looks perfect I see a post here talking about disabling daylight saving. How do you disable this setting? I cant locate it in the menu at first sight.

I put it to home mode during setup. Swapped to standard image. No eco on. Updated the firmware to the latest.
Try watching a white background, is it pinkish on the sides and darker in the middle?

Gratts btw!
post #1165 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Could you take a picture inbetween the tv and the wall so we can see? Thanks in advance.
Not easy to get a decent picture of the back, but here it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	244265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	244273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	244281  
post #1166 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somtimes View Post
Try watching a white background, is it pinkish on the sides and darker in the middle?

Gratts btw!
Don't think I could see i it. My girlfriend said maybe. To me it might have looked a bit greenish on one of the sides. Not sure. Looks good though. Does this have anything to do with the daylight settings i can't locate?

post #1167 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Sony usually does not even make there own panels, I know they buy LG LED panels for most of there TV's.
what do they use for their OLED monitors? Samsung?
post #1168 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Not sure what that means.
post #1169 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Don't think I could see i it. My girlfriend said maybe. To me it might have looked a bit greenish on one of the sides. Not sure. Looks good though. Does this have anything to do with the daylight settings i can't locate?

If you open this in youtube on your set it´s easy to check.
16:9 LED LCD Screen R G B Y Test

My screen looks much darker on the yellow picture on the sides, and on the grey picture it´s pink on the sides and darker in the middle.
Considering returning my set for exchange, so would be nice if you could check if you can see if your set is ok.

I haven´t found any "daylight" setting to disable, only the "eco" picture mode.

I attached two pictures so you can see what i talk about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	244377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3095-kopi.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	244393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	244401  

Last edited by somtimes; 09-04-2014 at 01:03 AM.
post #1170 of 1984 Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Not sure what that means.
It's more pro and stress free than it has been.

sent via HTC ONE M7
tgm1024 likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page