Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Maybe in 2015 "Pioneer" will bring us a Kuro OLED Master Panel :)

I've read too many things about OLED. When the technology was presented it was amazing, but when burned screens started to come up and blue led short life and all that stuff, i wasn't that much teased to buy it.

However the 3thrd Gen is coming awesome and LG (i brand that doesn't take my enthusiasm) is the proof.

I was thinking to buy a Sony S90 or even a Panasonic AX900 but i want to wait for some premium brand like Pioneer or Panasonic to deliveer a "65" or "70" OLED with a premium Master Panel.

How long do you guys think we have to wait to see this? 1, 2 more years maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_to_the_Sound View Post
I've read too many things about OLED. When the technology was presented it was amazing, but when burned screens started to come up and blue led short life and all that stuff, i wasn't that much teased to buy it.

However the 3thrd Gen is coming awesome and LG (i brand that doesn't take my enthusiasm) is the proof.

I was thinking to buy a Sony S90 or even a Panasonic AX900 but i want to wait for some premium brand like Pioneer or Panasonic to deliveer a "65" or "70" OLED with a premium Master Panel.

Pioneer is moving out of the consumer electronics business entirely; why would they move into such a competitive market again? Panasonic, a former plasma giant, is also placing far less significance on TVs and consumer electronics, instead focusing on batteries for EV manufacturers such as Tesla.

One of the problems for OLED is overcoming poor yields; I believe Pioneer had a >99% yield on their plasma panels, but LG has a yield around 80%. This increases the cost significantly. Also, OLED burns in rapidly (faster than plasma it appears), has IR problems and uniformity issues (worse than DSE.)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I saw an article couple of months ago that Pioneer was coming back to the TV business with their high quality standards as they had sign up contract with a manufacturer.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 221
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
These Kuro LCDs are just custom engineered Sharp LCD TVs. They are no doubt very good TVs but you cannot expect anything more than average picture performance from them. I think they are now discontinued as they sold even worse than the plasma models. They didn't even change the menu interface. I have a 32" Sharp with the same menus as the Kuro LCDs.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_to_the_Sound View Post

If you take an objective, hard look at the LG OLED, you'd see why you should dismiss any negative bias toward the LG brand. There simply isn't enough data to know if any of the 2 OLED brands are more burn prone than plasma or have a shorter life than plasma. Being brand loyal and believing that the best panels will always come from a Sony, Panasonic or Pioneer, is bound to bring about disappointment at some point.

Being brand agnostic, and simply going with the best TVs that are currently being produced, is a better path to success.
fafrd, Rf13 and XPSTester like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Pioneer is moving out of the consumer electronics business entirely; why would they move into such a competitive market again? Panasonic, a former plasma giant, is also placing far less significance on TVs and consumer electronics, instead focusing on batteries for EV manufacturers such as Tesla.
exactly!!

with the financial bath Pioneer took on Tv's...and really not doing well on anything other car audio

I see this as not even a remote possibility

Panasonic right behind them...as you stated ,in distancing itself from consumer electronics

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page