LG UHD/4K OLED TVs to Hit the Market This Year - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #211 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Weary Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is anyone else nervous that a third-place company is the only one championing large-format OLED?

I can't ignore the LG history... they have simply been an also-ran in the display game. Samsung has had highly-regarded displays which competed well against Panny's VT & ZT series. I am not expecting LG to shock us with electronics that eek out all the performance that this generation of OLEDs have to offer. They don't tend to innovate - they seem to be more into gimmicky gadgets than true technology innovation. I hope I'm wrong.

I've never had an LG display, but I've owned other LG products that had interesting features, but had lackluster performance - DVD recorder, bluray player, cell phones, etc.

I'm not anxious to shell out thousands of dollars for an LG display - lack of competition usually doesn't do much to spur innovation and quality. Fortunately, I have a 60" Kuro as a backup to my projector, so I don't need to consider a display purchase in the immediate future, and I can let the dust settle.
mattg3 likes this.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 231
a 4K 3D OLED is my dream TV. As soon as I can buy one in the 65" - 75" range for about $4k I will bite even if it's a little over my budget.

Upstairs Living Room - LG 65EG9600: Klipsch R-20B Soundbar
Basement - Sony 75x940d: Klipsch Reference series II speakers, 2 subwoofers, Denon x4000
post #213 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The closest experiment to what you're asking for was conducted in the UK. There, 49 out of 50 shoppers in a mall correctly identified the UHD TV.
Thanks Ken. Here's the link to the study results if anyone else is curious -- http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...312153517.html

There are some caveats mentioned about the black levels and gamma response being different between the 4K and 1080p sets tested however they did calibrate to try to minimize those differences and overall I have to say it sounds like they did everything possible to try to make it sure the results would reflect the difference in resolution only with everything else controlled for. So color me surprised, and impressed.

I do suspect though that the real difference-maker was having high bitrate native 4k content to test with. I've downloaded and watched the Chimei Innolux demo clip on the 4k monitor and if the short movies from Blender Institute (Tears of Steel and Sintel) were of the same quality then I could see how that would help highlight the difference. Definitely a cut above the youtube clips shot in 4K that I downloaded and played for my wife. It's just unfortunate that there's no 4K content available at the moment of the same quality and of the type that someone would normally watch on their TV that could highlight the difference just as well.

That's when there will be a meaningful difference to me. When someone can do the same study not with industry demo clips and such designed specifically to showcase and sell 4K, but with actual movies or shows I'm going to watch at home. As soon as 49 out of 50 can pick out the 4K set watching Blade Runner or Sound of Music, that's when I'll get interested in 4K again.

post #214 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post
Is anyone else nervous that a third-place company is the only one championing large-format OLED?

I can't ignore the LG history... they have simply been an also-ran in the display game. Samsung has had highly-regarded displays which competed well against Panny's VT & ZT series. I am not expecting LG to shock us with electronics that eek out all the performance that this generation of OLEDs have to offer. They don't tend to innovate - they seem to be more into gimmicky gadgets than true technology innovation. I hope I'm wrong.

I've never had an LG display, but I've owned other LG products that had interesting features, but had lackluster performance - DVD recorder, bluray player, cell phones, etc.

I'm not anxious to shell out thousands of dollars for an LG display - lack of competition usually doesn't do much to spur innovation and quality. Fortunately, I have a 60" Kuro as a backup to my projector, so I don't need to consider a display purchase in the immediate future, and I can let the dust settle.

LG Display is one the top 3 or 4 suppliers of LCD flat panels to the entire industry.

If you are concerned with LG Electronics ability to fashion good TVs from the OLED panels being supplied by LGD, then just wait until next year when you will have first several Chinese TV makers offering LGD-WOLED-based OLED TVs and then several Japanese TV makers offering the same (and a high likelihood that all of these will be demonstrated at CES in January).
XPSTester likes this.
post #215 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:

Same could be said about their washers and dryers, but 5-6years ago their steam features took the world by storm and before you knew it everyone else followed their lead. I tell you at that moment when my wife had to have one, I thought the same thing then.
post #216 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
I do suspect though that the real difference-maker was having high bitrate native 4k content to test with. I've downloaded and watched the Chimei Innolux demo clip on the 4k monitor and if the short movies from Blender Institute (Tears of Steel and Sintel) were of the same quality then I could see how that would help highlight the difference. Definitely a cut above the youtube clips shot in 4K that I downloaded and played for my wife. It's just unfortunate that there's no 4K content available at the moment of the same quality and of the type that someone would normally watch on their TV that could highlight the difference just as well.

you can take the lossless master and create your own very high quality version. or search online for a better encode from the lossless master they are free why not ?
post #217 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
I'll be waiting a year or two to buy an OLED, for prices to come down, technology to mature, and for actual 4k content to be released. And it definitely has to be a flat screen.
Wise words, I would dare add that first we will need universal FIOS and Dolby Atmos streaming too. Cardiologists nationwide rejoice, the HT couches will take the over where cigarettes left
post #218 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
you can take the lossless master and create your own very high quality version. or search online for a better encode from the lossless master they are free why not ?
Because I'm not that interested in watching clips to begin with. The 4K monitor was a test for me to determine if I might be interested in a 4K TV. And even if the youtube clips shot in 4K are of lesser quality than those high bitrate 4K demo clips they are still of equal or better quality than any actual 4K programming that looks likely to be available over the next 2-3 years (ie. Netflix "4K" streaming, etc.). So for my purposes that's as much as I need to know.

If I could create my own high quality 4K version of my favorite movies and shows then I'd be all over 4K. But short clips? To me those are not for TV viewing no matter how good they look.

Last edited by ElJimador; 08-28-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #219 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
^ I think this is the part where you are supposed to change your avatar and say, "I'm Batman!"

The hu9000 is a great tv. The oled will crush it. My purpose in this thread is im buying the tv.

We are not all here to discuss this set. Some want to discourage the 4k evolution.
post #220 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2563
Off-topic posts removed. Discuss the topic and NOT each other.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #221 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 789
My price point is $2k for OLED 50-55" 4k .... any guess when that will be 2015 late or 2016 mid??
post #222 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
things like resizer aren't that easy. proper comparison aren't made yet.
they depend a lot on content. and personal taste plays a rule to. some people hate ringing other aliasing or to low or to high sharpness other hate the possibility of interpolation artifact with interpolation resizer. and a resizer is still just a resizer only real content can show the real potential of the resolution.

this is like the 1080p screen and there SD "super" resizer and people claimed this looks like 1080 or even it is so good i don't need 1080p source. just look at these screen to day nothing has changed but no one claim something like this anymore.
Im just giving the general consensus from around the 4k owners forums.

I agree there is alot to the taste of the viewer.

However the oppo and madvr seem to show more artifacts then the internal processor.

So for the lcd it helps with motion on upscaled content.

There are 2 theory to why this happens.

One is the lesser the times the picture is being converted then transferred and then displayed the cleaner the image. So the direct conversion by the tv has less to do to show the picture.

The other is the tv may receive a 4k signal and the upscaler doesnt work. The tv just displays in native mode and the source has a lesser quality upscale.

Most owners believe the first one.

I cant wait to see the quality of the upscaler on the 77".

Even at 65 im thinking id be happy.

65" curved in the room.

Im beginning to have an anxiety tack.
post #223 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
My price point is $2k for OLED 50-55" 4k .... any guess when that will be 2015 late or 2016 mid??

$2K for 55" 1080p OLED is likely and possibly by mid next year.

Not clear if LG will even introduce a 4K 55" OLED until they are over the hump and well on their way to displaying LCD (which is unlikely to be solidly underway before 2017 at the earliest...).

I would not be at all surprised to see LG introduce an even larger 4K screen than 77" before they introduce an even smaller 4K screen than 65".

In April, LG apparently announced their ability to produce 110" OLEDs before the end of this year: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1398670501

Referring to M2, "When this factory goes online, LG will be able to produce gigantic 110-inch OLED TV – four times larger than the current 55-inch OLED TVs. LG’s coming 4K OLED TVs will also be produced at this factory."

I think we have a pretty good idea of what we can expect to see in the LG booth at CES in January...

Between 77" and 110" lies 88" and 99" (and the midpoint is 92"), so I would not be at all surprised to see LG introduce a new biggest-OLED product at one of these larger sizes in 2015.

On the LCD side of the house, LG's largest mainstream 2014 offering is 84" and Samsung's is 85", so that is another option as well...

But I would not hold my breath for a 55" 4K OLED any time soon.
post #224 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6654 Post(s)
Liked: 7327
Quote:

You would never have written this if you had seen an LG OLED in the dark. Sticking blindly with the major brands when the ' 3rd place company' is producing the best displays, is a recipe for an uneducated decision.

Put your biases aside and actually watch one of these things in the dark. Once you do, I'll read your retraction. ...I mean this in a friendly way.
post #225 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Because I'm not that interested in watching clips to begin with. The 4K monitor was a test for me to determine if I might be interested in a 4K TV. And even if the youtube clips shot in 4K are of lesser quality than those high bitrate 4K demo clips they are still of equal or better quality than any actual 4K programming that looks likely to be available over the next 2-3 years (ie. Netflix "4K" streaming, etc.). So for my purposes that's as much as I need to know.

If I could create my own high quality 4K version of my favorite movies and shows then I'd be all over 4K. But short clips? To me those are not for TV viewing no matter how good they look.
Do what I did, buy yourself a 4K camcorder and produce your own 4K content. You will be shocked at how high the quality is.
post #226 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6599 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Quote:
The closest experiment to what you're asking for was conducted in the UK. There, 49 out of 50 shoppers in a mall correctly identified the UHD TV.
I love how fifty people in a mall, who hope to get the right answer so they qualify for a raffle, have somehow collectively become the definitive authority on this topic.
mike_carton likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #227 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2450
Do the 65" Oled have the option to put into flat mode? ,I don't want to experience any distorded image like I see on Samsung curve , stretched image on each side of the screen and normal around the center ,well probably because oled it's less curved the issue could be less ?

Last edited by losservatore; 08-29-2014 at 06:03 PM.
post #228 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I love how fifty people in a mall, who hope to get the right answer so they qualify for a raffle, have somehow collectively become the definitive authority on this topic.
Wow, did I say they were the 'definitive authority' on this topic? No. Was it the closest experiment to provide the poster in relation to what he asked? IMO, yes.

Relax.
post #229 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, did I say they were the 'definitive authority' on this topic? No. Was it the closest experiment to provide the poster in relation to what he asked? IMO, yes.

Relax.
All we ask for is a comparable test with definitive parameters in place.

I dont see why some want to just disregard the real world test.

It would be like the ve shootout. It didnt test uhd material but claimed the uhd sets the lesser by a point system.

A point system that didnt even have an area for uhd video. Or even other so you could write uhd into the ballet and add a point in the other section.

Do we just dismiss those results?

And mind you were there and still know you didnt get a chance to compare the most important point of buying a uhd set. Uhd content.

Again its all about what we have to use to make an educated decision or the closest thing possible.

If a test like this is ran we shouldnt be so quick to dismiss it.

I see it and the shootout as beneficial information.

So I agree with you 100 percent Ken.
post #230 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6599 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Quote:

Relax.
OK, I will relax.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #231 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Referring to M2, "When this factory goes online, LG will be able to produce gigantic 110-inch OLED TV – four times larger than the current 55-inch OLED TVs. LG’s coming 4K OLED TVs will also be produced at this factory."
Yeah baby! My room can handle up to 160in, conservatively speaking. Also, thanks to years of clean living, I have two healthy kidneys. Bring it!
post #232 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think my concern is more along the lines of what kind of 4k content are we going to get in the future? Not so much how much will be available, but more the quality. It seems that more than half of all Blu-ray releases that come out get torn apart or criticized as having bad transfers, DNR, wobble, incorrect color timing, and the list goes on and on. Movie studios can't be bothered to give us new masters or quality transfers because it's too little money to them for too little payoff.

Blu-ray and 1080p was supposed to be this new ultimate standard in PQ, but it almost seems like movie studios didn't ever really care about it much. Since this seems like the case with Blu-ray and 1080p already, what's 4k gonna be like? I don't want to spend $4,000+ on a TV just to get terrible transfers with minimal effort and that seems like what we get with Blu-rays more often than not, why should we think 4k material will be any different? And let's amplify those terrible transfers and efforts with an 80" curved 4k set that's right in my face.

I usually jump into new tech rather early and love getting new toys, but this is one I will be approaching very cautiously and watching how things unfold, especially since I love my current set. I just think I might have hit my limit at 1080p. I've seen some demos playing 4k next to 1080p and while I think the 4k looks great, I just don't think it's enough to make me want a whole new set. Not to mention all the poor efforts by the movie studios that I previously mentioned.
fafrd likes this.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #233 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post
I think my concern is more along the lines of what kind of 4k content are we going to get in the future? Not so much how much will be available, but more the quality. It seems that more than half of all Blu-ray releases that come out get torn apart or criticized as having bad transfers, DNR, wobble, incorrect color timing, and the list goes on and on. Movie studios can't be bothered to give us new masters or quality transfers because it's too little money to them for too little payoff.

Blu-ray and 1080p was supposed to be this new ultimate standard in PQ, but it almost seems like movie studios didn't ever really care about it much. Since this seems like the case with Blu-ray and 1080p already, what's 4k gonna be like? I don't want to spend $4,000+ on a TV just to get terrible transfers with minimal effort and that seems like what we get with Blu-rays more often than not, why should we think 4k material will be any different? And let's amplify those terrible transfers and efforts with an 80" curved 4k set that's right in my face.

I usually jump into new tech rather early and love getting new toys, but this is one I will be approaching very cautiously and watching how things unfold, especially since I love my current set. I just think I might have hit my limit at 1080p. I've seen some demos playing 4k next to 1080p and while I think the 4k looks great, I just don't think it's enough to make me want a whole new set. Not to mention all the poor efforts by the movie studios that I previously mentioned.

I wouldn't be considering 4K if I wasn't moving up to a larger panel. But if you are buying into a new TV now, buying into 4K is something to consider - even without content, you get less SDE, less impact from individual sub pixels which are stuck-off, and greater color depth (an 8-bit 4K panel can put out 10-bit color at 1080p). Since the best TVs all seem to be 4K now, you almost don't have a choice (unless you are a trailing-the-curve bargain-hunter :-)
Ken Ross likes this.
post #234 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't be considering 4K if I wasn't moving up to a larger panel. But if you are buying into a new TV now, buying into 4K is something to consider - even without content, you get less SDE, less impact from individual sub pixels which are stuck-off, and greater color depth (an 8-bit 4K panel can put out 10-bit color at 1080p). Since the best TVs all seem to be 4K now, you almost don't have a choice (unless you are a trailing-the-curve bargain-hunter :-)
Well, this is certainly true. If all that's available is 4k, then well, you'd have to buy. HA HA!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #235 of 322 Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
No, it appears that something more than that has changed.

The manual for the 55EC9300 (now released) was a joint manual for the 77EC9800.

Now the 77EC9800 is not being released and we are going to get the 77EG9700 in its place. The 77EG9700 apparently features Harmon Kardon 5.1 surround sound (like the LG UB9800 LED/LCD), so perhaps it is nothing more than that.

We'll just need to wait and see.

This thread was a great deal more interesting in it's infancy (but I suppose that's pretty much par for the course here on the Forum :-)

Anyway, I just ran into this: http://globalnews.ca/news/1380703/ne...ogy-impresses/

'LG's 77EC9800 (in Korea it is 77EG9700) is a 77" curved UHD (4K, 3840x2160) OLED TV. This TV was first unveiled at the IFA 2013 exhibition. "

The article is dated January 3, 2014 - so it seems there has been no change in numbering after all - we here in the US should still be getting the 77EA9800.
losservatore likes this.
post #236 of 322 Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
$2K for 55" 1080p OLED is likely and possibly by mid next year.

Not clear if LG will even introduce a 4K 55" OLED until they are over the hump and well on their way to displaying LCD (which is unlikely to be solidly underway before 2017 at the earliest...).

I would not be at all surprised to see LG introduce an even larger 4K screen than 77" before they introduce an even smaller 4K screen than 65".

In April, LG apparently announced their ability to produce 110" OLEDs before the end of this year: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1398670501

I think we have a pretty good idea of what we can expect to see in the LG booth at CES in January...

Between 77" and 110" lies 88" and 99" (and the midpoint is 92"), so I would not be at all surprised to see LG introduce a new biggest-OLED product at one of these larger sizes in 2015.

On the LCD side of the house, LG's largest mainstream 2014 offering is 84" and Samsung's is 85", so that is another option as well...

But I would not hold my breath for a 55" 4K OLED any time soon.
Thx for feedback, as this will go into my family room to replace my 2005 42" slimline 720p, 50-55" is max I can go there.
I want the OLED PQ and all that, however if 4k takes too long to get "small" sizes then I'll look at the 1080p OLEDs in 2015-mid like you posted.
It's a tight fit into the corner, a 50-55" will take me to the outer bezel of that existing 42" 10 year old set....still works btw.
post #237 of 322 Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
a 4K 3D OLED is my dream TV. As soon as I can buy one in the 65" - 75" range for about $4k I will bite even if it's a little over my budget.

Even if it is curved, has questionable longevity, DNR that cannot be turned off, better for day viewing than night, lack of 4k programming (and need to be within 5-6 feet regardless for benefit), and viewing angle problems?
post #238 of 322 Old 08-29-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
You would never have written this if you had seen an LG OLED in the dark. Sticking blindly with the major brands when the ' 3rd place company' is producing the best displays, is a recipe for an uneducated decision.

Put your biases aside and actually watch one of these things in the dark. Once you do, I'll read your retraction. ...I mean this in a friendly way.
Well Ken, let's see how all this plays out in a year. We will have a better handle on LG's quality and reliability then.
Ken Ross and fafrd like this.
post #239 of 322 Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
This thread was a great deal more interesting in it's infancy (but I suppose that's pretty much par for the course here on the Forum :-)

Anyway, I just ran into this: http://globalnews.ca/news/1380703/ne...ogy-impresses/

'LG's 77EC9800 (in Korea it is 77EG9700) is a 77" curved UHD (4K, 3840x2160) OLED TV. This TV was first unveiled at the IFA 2013 exhibition. "

The article is dated January 3, 2014 - so it seems there has been no change in numbering after all - we here in the US should still be getting the 77EA9800.
Fafrd, any thoughts on the pricing of the 77" LG ($25K on BB Canada)? Granted Canada is often higher, but it seems a lot higher than most were projecting.
post #240 of 322 Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Even if it is curved, has questionable longevity, DNR that cannot be turned off, better for day viewing than night, lack of 4k programming (and need to be within 5-6 feet regardless for benefit), and viewing angle problems?
Hold on now:

* Curved- A mostly subjective assessment. Some bothered, some not, some like it
* DNR that cannot be turned off- Some say that's been fixed. We don't know for sure yet.
* Better day viewing than night- Say what? There is no better technology than OLED for night viewing than OLED. It has perfect blacks and is the first display tech to have that. You can't get a better night viewing tech than OLED.
* Lack of 4K- Agreed. I partially solve that with my own 4K camcorder. I can make as much 4K content as I like. But yes, there is little programming at this point
* Need to be within 5-6 feet regardless- Again, this is wrong. Viewing distance depends on screen size. A larger screen allows a greater viewing distance.
* Viewing angle problems- The viewing angle is more like plasma (not quite as good) and much better than LCD. So this is a bit of an overstatement..
fafrd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page