Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #1 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Official flat LG 55EA8800 Gallery OLED Owner's Thread

Hello folks, so I've finally gotten my new flat LG Gallery OLED (55EA8800) and spent some quality time with it and wanted to give you my impressions so far! Maybe this makes more sense to post in the LG 55EA9800 Owner's thread since there are alarmingly few 55EA8800 people on here, which is crazy, but, this screen, in all of its unsullied flat glory, deserves its own thread. I first posted this in the "The wait for flat LG 4K OLED sreens. Coping and speculation" thread, which I'd actually recommend reading since it includes a little chronicling of my thought process leading up to deciding on this one, so here is a link to that: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...eculation.html

I have been waiting for so long for an OLED to be here and finally be mine, and I wasn't disappointed! In short, I am extremely happy with this TV! I've been effusive with over-the-top hyperbole, and am regularly giddy to spend time with it. With this, I feel that my entertainment setup is finally perfect, and I am thrilled! Such sweet satisfaction! I just watched The Matrix and The Dark Knight Rises blu-rays on it, and they are easily the most visually thrilling experiences I have ever had. The effect of the contrast and the richness of the picture are so deeply satisfying and addictive. It truly is a very special screen. I've been so certain that the experience of perfect black and solved contrast ratio would be huge for me, and I was right! So I'll just start listing out some observations I've had:

The experience of having such a perfect contrast and perfect black is so addictive and endearing that I've even found that it's a temptation to get "greedy" in the settings by exaggerating the blacks. You can start to see that some blu-rays, or perhaps lesser blu-rays, have their own way of dishing out blacks, and while the richness is always clearly there even when it doesn't plunge to the bottom of the black, it's taken discipline to not fuss with the settings to sort of smash down those instances when a blu-ray deliberately isn't doing 100% black in a scene that could. Doing this would've punished you on other screens, but even when things are blacker than they should be there is a lot of poppiness to be had.

With a screen like this, and being addicted to the contrast ratio and perfect black, so far I often hop up out of my seat to peer into the difference between the "black" black and adjacent pixels that might have some details on it with near-black to really get a sense of what's going on and to test the limits of the black and whether there is any light emitting from those pixels. When there is a scene with a significant amount of "black" black and some very bright areas in the same movie scene, it gets to the point where it's become clear that the only thing that that could be perceived as not black in the "black" black pixels is literally the subtle little reflections off of objects and my skin from the bright area of the picture. Those pixels are truly not producing light when they are fully black, even when something bright is happening somewhere else in the picture. Early on, I would have the instant reaction of "Wha- did my screen just turn off... Oh yeah!" during all of my tinkering and nothing would be on the screen briefly to produce any light.

Games just look perfect on it, though I have been so taken away with blu-rays on it, I haven't played some of the games most important to me quite yet, which are game often in dark settings, so I'm super excited to dig into that! One of the games I tried playing on my OLED was a game upscaled from standard definition (Super Smash Bros. Brawl played on the Wii U if you're curious, which does its own upscaling), which I had really low expectations for, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised. This game looked like hell on my LCD HDTV, and actually looks good on this one. So this doesn't count as an indication of the quality of the upscaling in this case, but upscaled standard definition looked markedly better on this screen for me, and I was pleased with the latency once I switched to "Game" mode in the settings.

It's a crowd pleaser too! It really looks special mounted up in the "picture frame" even though I will never ever actually use that speaker. The picture frame is completely and totally optional by the way if you don't want to use it for sound, so I was divided about using it, but that TV is so incredibly thin that I guess it kind of makes me feel more secure with that mounted behind it. It looks so cool with that on there too, though one could easily make a case for mounting it without that.

I'm very impressed with the 3D! While I do feel like I can perceive the lowered resolution with passive 3D a bit, in a way contradictory to that that's hard to explain, the 3D makes it look almost super-high resolution at the same time. I showed the TV off to some relatives and made the mistake of going with a 3D blu-ray. I say "mistake," because, while of course they were super-enthusiastic about the picture ("it's sooo real!" etc.), they attributed the impressiveness to the 3D, and now think they definitely need a 3D TV, but that's what happens when you show stuff to oblivious people. But it was a lot of enthusiasm for the picture in general as well from what I'll call "normal" viewers, so of course its strengths as an OLED were surely striking for them as well, but 3D kind of steals the show for people who haven't seen proper 3D in this setting. I showed it to my sister in 2D, and, surprisingly, she said "it looks 3D!" There were some people on the AVS forum using that line as hyperbole for OLED, and, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that they were right; my sister, who isn't all that invested in picture quality, unprovoked to do so said that it looked 3D during a 2D movie, so there you go!

So I'm sure some would like me to try to have like a "cons" section of this, so I'll give some critical statements, though they are pretty trifling:
First I want to point out that I haven't had a lot of the little quirks pointed out by many on here. I haven't spotted any dead pixels, and off-axis viewing seems perfectly fine. I was walking back and forth and it seemed like there was some very-subtle thing happening with the color, but it could have just as well been my imagination. It makes me wonder if this is even better for me because mine is flat. Probably not, but who knows... I also don't detect any uniformity issues so far or the yellowing that's worried some, but I haven't done slides or anything like that outside of running a simple calibration program. It looks immaculate to me!

One thing I will say is that there doesn't seem to be a point in using anything but "Game" mode. I had a bit of what seemed to be lip syncing trouble during 3D movies that just went away completely by switching to Game mode. Also, after some overly-obsessive testing, I was able to perceive of a bit of latency while playing games which easily improved in Game mode. So with those two things in mind, after finding that you can make Game mode look basically identical to other settings like ISF expert after tinkering with settings there, I see no reason to ever use anything except for Game mode, even while watching movies.

So the only thing that could be a con really is that I actually did manage to catch a bit of motion blur in a scene, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem consistent. I went back to the scene in the movie where I first managed to notice it, and wasn't even able to reproduce it on the scale that caused me to be aware of it in the first place. I've spent time playing some games on it, and never sensed anything that could have been the blur I thought I saw. So by and large, I'm happy with the motion, but I guess that gives me something to look forward to if that's going to be a strength of an updated 4K standard in the future. This screen is better than my last in every way, and its strengths are so thrilling, that any con I could come up with would seem negligible.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that this screen is so worth it, and I couldn't be happier. Now it's time to go make the impossible decision of what blu-ray to watch or what game to play on it next. I'm also coordinating a Star Wars Saga blu-ray marathon to have on this soon! There is so much I want to see on this! Watching and re-watching movies on this is so addictive...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10537724_10100671515949083_3766649504356569507_o.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	232297   Click image for larger version

Name:	10644250_10100671516298383_1484969242788156806_o.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	232305   Click image for larger version

Name:	1909455_10100671515629723_3433034154730488923_o.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	232313   Click image for larger version

Name:	10531479_10100671515504973_5975954882964560592_o.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	232321   Click image for larger version

Name:	10518602_10100671516562853_4199393888102933203_o.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	232329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	885904_10100671517775423_2532610618142681947_o.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	232337   Click image for larger version

Name:	10544771_10100671515519943_7475851733572861225_o.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	232345   Click image for larger version

Name:	10628687_10100671545030803_4473325505170920187_o.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	232353  

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-31-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Updated since the game I was playing in standard definition was being upscaled before being fed to the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to give an update on my impressions as well! I've finally sunk some time into playing some games with the visuals that matter most to me!

So I just played some Dead Rising 3 and Wolfenstein The New Order, and it felt like a revelation of what those games really should look like. They look ridiculously gorgeous, whether it's a dark scene lit up with muzzle flashes or one with glaring sunlight! There is a part of Dead Rising 3 where you are in the dark and are wandering around while basically dependent on a flashlight. Whoa... I've played this on my LCD before of course, and not only did it look lackluster on the LCD, I didn't really feel like I was in the dark or dependent on the flashlight even with lower visibility in that extreme-dark. Playing it on an OLED made it feel convincingly and unnervingly like I was wandering around in the dark. Fantastic... I've never taken so much pleasure in the effect of explosions in the dark among zombies, or the piercing red glow from the zombies' eyes as they shuffle towards me in the dark. I feel like games take advantage of the benefits of contrast even more-so than movies, which I've long suspected would be the case.

Playing HD games of this caliber on this set is such a satisfying experience. There is a brutal honesty in the visuals of many HD games that is really brought to life on OLED. It seems cliché to say, but it does feel like lifting a veil.

So, I do still have my LCD in another room... Today I went and watched it for a bit, and... gross... Gross gross gross! Fortunately I could escape and wash that crime out of my eyes with my OLED. Hahaha! LCD is just finished folks. I can't imagine going back to something that isn't an OLED. I can't believe I tolerated that LCD screen as long as I did. I'm completely enamored with my OLED!
ONDr, 5x10 and tubby497 like this.
post #3 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thank you for your review! Enjoy your set!
Hinsoog likes this.

Pioneer KURO PDP-5080 HD TV (KURO 8G)
Pioneer Receiver VSX-1122-K
Sources: HTPC Dell XPS 8700 (Modified), Blu-ray
Energy RC & Veritas Speakers
Proud AVS Forum's Reader since 2006
post #4 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Whoops! I just noticed that there already exists an owner's thread for this screen! I'm not sure how that snuck by me! Here it is: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...-s-thread.html

Moderator! Is it possible to have these two threads combined with the word "flat" added to the thread title??? If not, I can just re-post my content into that thread. Perhaps I have to hunt a moderator down and message them directly.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that another user was hoping for the creation of this thread with the word "flat" added to it, which is a worthwhile addition. So either way I suppose.

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-27-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: listed in the body of the post
post #5 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Congrats on the set. It looks awesome. You did a great job on your Official Owners post also. This is the way Official Owners post should be done. Nice brief summary of your impressions and a few pics.

Just based on some anecdotal posts the flat ones do not seem to have the discoloration and uniformity problems that some of the curved OLED seem to have. Keep an eye out for dead pixels or any IR problems and keep us updated if you can tear yourself away.
Hinsoog likes this.
post #6 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 106
someone needs to start an OLED pics thread
post #7 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 05:13 PM

Yeah, the word FLAT should be in capital letters and bold!!!

post #8 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Congrats man! It looks great. Since the day I ordered mine Ive been a little worried that it won't live up to my expectations. But after your review that put those thoughts at bay. Mine should be here on Friday so I'll report as soon as I get it on the wall. Don't worry about starting a new thread we can just use this one.
Hinsoog likes this.
post #9 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Congrats on your new set!

I'm really thinking about getting one of these to replace my Sony XBR5.

What do you think of the mount? How hard was the installation? I have mine over the fireplace and had a power outlet and HDMI cables run behind the tv and I'm concerned that they would be covered by the frame mat speaker. How many inches wide is the frame mat?
post #10 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Your right op, dead rising 3 looks awesome on the oled,
Really shows off the blacks in the game, titanfall looks great on it too
Come to think of it, there's not really much that looks bad on it
Poor sources will be exposed
Hinsoog and vaktmestern like this.
post #11 of 101 Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Does this TV have stand? I guess not...?
If it can only be wall-mounted, that would be its major weakness for some buyers...

post #12 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
Congrats on your new set!

I'm really thinking about getting one of these to replace my Sony XBR5.

What do you think of the mount? How hard was the installation? I have mine over the fireplace and had a power outlet and HDMI cables run behind the tv and I'm concerned that they would be covered by the frame mat speaker. How many inches wide is the frame mat?

So I'm glad you brought this up because there is definitely something to be aware of here to save you some pain!
So the main mount will seem straightforward enough since, as best as I could tell, it is a standard VESA mount but with something important to note. For whatever reason it came with wall anchors and screws that seem to be meant for concrete walls. If you or your TV mounter are extremely careful, I guess the included hardware could be made to work in drywall, but I got a couple of relatives to help who are handy with this stuff, and after some failed attempts at getting the included stuff to work, they ultimately used their own anchors and screws that were dependable for drywall. I'm not sure why LG opted to go with hardware meant for concrete. Perhaps they thought they were going the extra mile. So anyway, just as long as you or your mounters are ready with proper wall anchors and screws for drywall if that's what you're working with, then you're set.

There are basically two mounts, the VESA one for the screen, and a pretty simple one for the frame to hang on. The screen basically just mounts in a big open hole in the center of the picture frame and doesn't even have to touch the frame if you don't want it to. Even when you push it all of the way back, it's really just floating there just over the frame by default. So if you have your cables running through the wall, it's just a matter of having them come through the great big open hole that is most of the center of that picture frame. I want to remind everyone though that this picture frame is totally optional if you are using external speakers, as it really is only adding a speaker outside of any aesthetic appeal it might have for you.

EDIT: Oh and the optional picture frame is just a touch over 56" wide and very close to 34" tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPSTester View Post
Does this TV have stand? I guess not...?
If it can only be wall-mounted, that would be its major weakness for some buyers...

Nope, it comes with the completely optional picture frame/speaker and it's own mount and mounting hardware (note above that you may need your own anchors and screws for drywall).

This was something that had a lot of appeal for me personally, because to me, perfecting my setup always included mounting my screen at the perfect height without a big distracting stand. It really makes the whole presentation look tidy and complete. I can understand that mounting it will seem like an unnecessary burden for some, but if you just think of the screen as whatever it costs plus about $200 or lower for mounting service at the outset, then it's not so bad, and then you have an even more attractive setup.

Also, it's worth mentioning for the sake of anyone worried about this that there are TV stands out there at very reasonable prices that you can mount a TV to.

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-28-2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Listed in the body of the post
post #13 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 AM

Hinsoog
Did you mount the tv directly to the drywall using drywall anchors or did you screw the bracket into studs?
post #14 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinsoog View Post

So, I do still have my LCD in another room... Today I went and watched it for a bit, and... gross... Gross gross gross! Fortunately I could escape and wash that crime out of my eyes with my OLED. Hahaha! LCD is just finished folks. I can't imagine going back to something that isn't an OLED. I can't believe I tolerated that LCD screen as long as I did. I'm completely enamored with my OLED!
You describe the way I feel about the flagship LCD I paid $3,700 for perfectly. It really pisses me off still to this day
post #15 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm very excited because I will receive this television next week.
Desk., Hinsoog and 5x10 like this.
post #16 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Are you seeing any motion issues with scrolling news tickers at the bottom of various news and/or sports channels? Someone mentioned seeing frame stutter on the 9300 model and I'm curious if the flat one also has this. I suspect it's a de-interlacing issue of some sort so it may require a 1080i channel like CNN to see it.

Thanks for posting your review.
post #17 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

So, I do still have my LCD in another room... Today I went and watched it for a bit, and... gross... Gross gross gross! Fortunately I could escape and wash that crime out of my eyes with my OLED. Hahaha! LCD is just finished folks....
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
...LG will die and the LCD apocalypse will truly be upon us......
Artwood's influence grows and grows. Long may it be so.
Hinsoog and ONDr like this.
post #18 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Are you seeing any motion issues with scrolling news tickers at the bottom of various news and/or sports channels? Someone mentioned seeing frame stutter on the 9300 model and I'm curious if the flat one also has this. I suspect it's a de-interlacing issue of some sort so it may require a 1080i channel like CNN to see it.

Thanks for posting your review.
Thank you Wizziwig! So I just hunted down a couple of videos that had news tickers in them. One was a video from BBC, and those letters were doing quite a bit of flickering and it almost looked like the letters were wobbling or something, but then I saw a video from ABC with a news ticker, and it looked perfectly normal both in terms of clarity and motion, and it wasn't moving any slower than the BBC ticker, so I don't know. I feel like that seems pretty representative of the inconsistent quality of news tickers in general though, but I have no idea what was going on with that BBC ticker. Perhaps I would have to find something that I know with certainty is interlaced. I'll keep my eyes open, but it's not really something I've noticed as a problem in general. I'm watching a number shift around on my screen right now and it looks smooth, so I'm not sure.

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-28-2014 at 08:14 PM.
post #19 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
Hinsoog
Did you mount the tv directly to the drywall using drywall anchors or did you screw the bracket into studs?
Oh so that's an important point! For the sake of having my screen centered exactly where I wanted it, we just screwed part of it directly into a stud without using anchors with no issue, and then on the other side of the bracket we used our own anchors that worked well for dry wall (note that the anchors they include seem to be meant for concrete, so I'd recommend not even trying to using them in dry wall ). The screen is so incredibly light that we were perfectly at peace with having part of it on drywall anchors. In fact, it is so light that it really seemed like it might be unnecessary to screw any amount of it into the studs directly, but I was lucky enough to have a stud where I needed it to be for a portion of it, so it made sense to play it safe.

So there seems to be a lot of interest in the fact that this is a mount-only screen out of the box unless you get a stand that you can mount to. Of course some of us lucked out in this area since mounting was the goal anyway, but I've found their mount-only decision very very curious. In the other thread I posted my thoughts on this, so I want to share them here:

It's interesting that LG seems to be using mounting as part of the differentiator between the curved and flat version of their OLED screens, especially since it feels like they are almost "hiding" the flat version of their current 1080p OLED screens under the "Gallery" marketing as if to say "oh don't mind the people buying this non-curved screen; it's because they like mounting things and having the aesthetic of it seeming like a painting with a great big frame. There is totally no reason to care about a non-curved screen otherwise, believe us!"

But at any rate, it all almost seems like evidence that they don't really want this division, perhaps in favor of curved, but it's still there, regardless of whatever marketing hand trick they want to waive around.
XPSTester likes this.

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-28-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typos
post #20 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:

So there seems to be a lot of interest in the fact that this is a mount-only screen out of the box unless you get a stand that you can mount to. Of course some of us lucked out in this area since mounting was the goal anyway, but I've found their mount-only decision very very curious. In the other thread I posted my thoughts on this, so I want to share them here:

It's interesting that LG seems to be using mounting as part of the differentiator between these screens, especially since it feels like they are almost "hiding" the flat version of their current 1080p OLED screens under the "Gallery" marketing as if to say "oh don't mind the people buying this non-curved screen; it's because they like mounting things and having the aesthetic of it seeming like a painting with a great big frame. There is totally no reason to care about a non-curved screen otherwise, believe us!"

But at any rate, it all almost seems like evidence that they don't really want this division in favor of curved, but it's still there, regardless of whatever marketing hand trick they want to waive around.
Very well said, could not agree more with you on that one...

I lost hope for the curve stupidity to end anytime soon when I learned that even Sony jumped on the curve bandwagon (with a disclaimer: "... our curve produces less distorsion" ... Why make one with a curve to BEGIN WITH???!!!
Hinsoog and ONDr like this.

post #21 of 101 Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPSTester View Post
Very well said, could not agree more with you on that one...

I lost hope for the curve stupidity to end anytime soon when I learned that even Sony jumped on the curve bandwagon (with a disclaimer: "... our curve produces less distorsion" ... Why make one with a curve to BEGIN WITH???!!!

Maybe Vizio needs to begin marketing their TVs as 'having even less of a curve than Sony curved TVs'!!! :-)

"Curved TVs without the curve"
Hinsoog and XPSTester like this.
post #22 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
Hinsoog
Oh so that's an important point! For the sake of having my screen centered exactly where I wanted it, we just screwed part of it directly into a stud without using anchors with no issue, and then on the other side of the bracket we used our own anchors that worked well for dry wall (note that the anchors they include seem to be meant for concrete, so I'd recommend not even trying to using them in dry wall ). The screen is so incredibly light that we were perfectly at peace with having part of it on drywall anchors. In fact, it is so light that it really seemed like it might be unnecessary to screw any amount of it into the studs directly, but I was lucky enough to have a stud where I needed it to be for a portion of it, so it made sense to play it safe.

It's interesting that LG seems to be using mounting as part of the differentiator between the curved and flat version of their OLED screens, especially since it feels like they are almost "hiding" the flat version of their current 1080p OLED screens under the "Gallery" marketing as if to say "oh don't mind the people buying this non-curved screen; it's because they like mounting things and having the aesthetic of it seeming like a painting with a great big frame. There is totally no reason to care about a non-curved screen otherwise, believe us!"

But at any rate, it all almost seems like evidence that they don't really want this division, perhaps in favor of curved, but it's still there, regardless of whatever marketing hand trick they want to waive around.
Good to hear. That's exactly what I planned to do as well 1 stud and wall anchor the rest. I definitely agree that LG did try very hard to market the flat version at all.
post #23 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
They kinda sell themselves........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #24 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Chris, when Chad was doing his calibration/comparison of various TVs with you, did that include both the 55EA9800 and the 55EC8800 (flat)?

I think a lot of us here on the Forum are curious as to whether a professional calibrator sees any signs of the flat LG OLEDs being superior from a uniformity point of view than the curved OLEDs (including both the yellow-push Chad has commented on as well as the darkness non-uniformity others have reported).

Given the surge in interest in LG OLED since the introduction of the 55EC9300, you might think about hosting a specific LG OLED versus LG OLED comparison - I'm sure it would attract a great number of eyeballs here on the Forum!

Last edited by fafrd; 08-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.
post #25 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
maybe vizio needs to begin marketing their tvs as 'having even less of a curve than sony curved tvs'!!! :-)
lol!!!

post #26 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM

So I received my TV today but strange enough the tv had the wrong power cord. When I opened the box to inspect it for damage I found it had 250v European power plug. Must have been a mix up at the factory. The part number on the panel was correct but it must have been assembled with the wrong power cord. So the delivery people took it back with them. The store I purchased in from has excellent customer service and is shipping a new tv out immediately. So I'll post when I receive it hopefully late next week.
post #27 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM

Wink

Quote:
Chris, would they sell themselves to Canada?
I need ClevelandPlasma in Montreal, or at least in Canada!!!

post #28 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
^^^ Anywhere in the world........
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Chris, when David was doing his calibration/comparison of various TVs with you, did that include both the 55EA9800 and the 55EC8800 (flat)?
Who is David ? You mean Chad the calibrator ?

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #29 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Thank you Wizziwig! So I just hunted down a couple of videos that had news tickers in them. One was a video from BBC, and those letters were doing quite a bit of flickering and it almost looked like the letters were wobbling or something, but then I saw a video from ABC with a news ticker, and it looked perfectly normal both in terms of clarity and motion, and it wasn't moving any slower than the BBC ticker, so I don't know. I feel like that seems pretty representative of the inconsistent quality of news tickers in general though, but I have no idea what was going on with that BBC ticker. Perhaps I would have to find something that I know with certainty is interlaced. I'll keep my eyes open, but it's not really something I've noticed as a problem in general. I'm watching a number shift around on my screen right now and it looks smooth, so I'm not sure.
I agree that the text flicker is very inconsistent
Tonight watching college football, I did not see a single flicker and I was looking for it
But, I have seen it before so I'm not sure if I'm switching video settings from standard, isf, and game mode that is causing it?
post #30 of 101 Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^ Anywhere in the world........ Who is David ? You mean Chad the calibrator ?

Yeah, I meant Chad - sorry. Isn't there another calibrator named David? Anyway, sorry for the name mix-up, but still interested in the answer to whether Chad has calibrated an EA8800 and noted any differences in terms of non-uniformtiy versus the curved LG OLEDs...
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page