Buying on Saturday: 55" or 60" LED or LCD for gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Buying on Saturday: 55" or 60" LED or LCD for gaming (UDPATE: NEED TO CHOOSE A SONY)

UPDATE 1: I want a Sony since they are the lowest lag which is great for gaming.

I am buying a new TV on Saturday. That's tomorrow. I have decided to go with a 55" or 60" model. My budget is $1500 but would love to spend more along the lines of $1200. $1600+ is right out. I have no interest in a 3D TV. Not that I wouldn't buy one. Just prefer not to.

I want it to be good for gaming so I want low lag. I also need 3+ HDMI inputs and atleast 1 Composite and 1 component input. Yes, I will be using it for TV also but that is a secondary concern other than I love my good black levels for movies.

Sound .... I usually watch TV and play games using the built in sound. I only use my stereo for movies. So sound is an important consideration. I will get a sound bar if I have to but it is going to be VERY cheap like $50. If I have to get a sound bar, I don't know what I need in a TV. RCA audio out I would assume. And a question. Quold the soundbar be controlled by the output of the TVs RCA levels?

I was just at Best Buy and it really seems to come down to choosing a brand and a technology (LCD vs LED) then picking a model with 4 HDMI inputs.

So, what are the suggestions? I turned on instant e-mail notification so I intend on being active in this thread so please help!

Thanks!

EDIT:
I see that some plasmas are still around and LG has some for under $1K. Is LG any good? The one I saw was a 60" with 3 HDMI inputs. I could grab that and a soundbar and be happy.

Last edited by kherman; 08-30-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Narrowed down to wanting a Sony and want hte title to reflect that incase any Sony experts are in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 268
A LED is a LCd. Two sorts of LCd's, LED LCd's and CCFL LCd's. If you like watching stuff, movies, in a dark room you should consider Plasma. Some LCd's come close - in a dark room - but they are very expensive. Those are full array local dimming LED LCd's. We call em here FALDs. If you do not watch in the dark, or in a dimmed room it really does not matter what you buy..
post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
I am buying a new TV on Saturday. That's tomorrow. I have decided to go with a 55" or 60" model. My budget is $1500 but would love to spend more along the lines of $1200. $1600+ is right out. I have no interest in a 3D TV. Not that I wouldn't buy one. Just prefer not to.

I want it to be good for gaming so I want low lag. I also need 3+ HDMI inputs and atleast 1 Composite and 1 component input. Yes, I will be using it for TV also but that is a secondary concern other than I love my good black levels for movies.

Sound .... I usually watch TV and play games using the built in sound. I only use my stereo for movies. So sound is an important consideration. I will get a sound bar if I have to but it is going to be VERY cheap like $50. If I have to get a sound bar, I don't know what I need in a TV. RCA audio out I would assume. And a question. Quold the soundbar be controlled by the output of the TVs RCA levels?

I was just at Best Buy and it really seems to come down to choosing a brand and a technology (LCD vs LED) then picking a model with 4 HDMI inputs.

So, what are the suggestions? I turned on instant e-mail notification so I intend on being active in this thread so please help!

Thanks!

EDIT:
I see that some plasmas are still around and LG has some for under $1K. Is LG any good? The one I saw was a 60" with 3 HDMI inputs. I could grab that and a soundbar and be happy.

You might want to have a look at the 2014 Vizio M at Best Buy or Costco - the 60" M is $1200 and the 65" is $1500. The 2014 Vizio TVs do not support 3D but are FALD and have generally received the nod as being the best bang-for-the-buck this season (great picture quality for the price).

The M Series TVs are 1080p (as are any plasmas you might be considering). If you have an interest in 4K, the Vizio P Series is 4K, also FALD, and should be launching within the next month. The 55" P Series is $1400: http://www.vizio.com/tvs/pseries/p552uib2.html
post #4 of 7 Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

After doing alot of research, I am pretty much set on a Sony at this point since it is good for gaming.

This is mostly a gaming TV (50%) with TV/movies (40%/10%) on occasion.

I sit 144" away. I can move the couch closer though so this is a loos metric. I could probably move it to 120" away.

But this is making me want a 60" more and more than a 55". But i have to factor in cost.

I have it down to these:
KDL60W850B - $1486.99 (3D ... but has best picture, best side viewing angle)
KDL55W800B - $1218.79 (3D ... best for gaming and picture almost up to par with the 850B)
KDL55W700B - $999.99 (Same as the 800B but no 3D which basically takes the 800B off my want list. Need to verify image quality same as 800B though)
KDL60W630B - $1177.99 (60", good enough for gaming but i have no idea what the image quality is like)

If I knew that the 630B image was close to the 850B or 700B, it would be a no brainer.

I'm leaning towards the 700B right now. Good for gaming. Saves me $300 over the 850B. And if I really want a 60" that bad ... I should just move the couch 2-3 feet closer to the TV.

Thoughts?

Last edited by kherman; 08-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I guess what I just realized is that if the 630B image quality is close enough to the 700B, I'd rather get the 630B and the extra 5" while spending an extra $180.

Last edited by kherman; 08-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
If you're looking to find an HDTV for your gaming needs, you may already know there are three important criteria.

1. Input lag (directly affects gameplay 100%)
2. Motion performance (gameplay 50%/eye candy 50%)
3. Contrast ratio (eye candy only)

In choosing a TV that fits your needs, always ask yourself if you can give up slight performance in one ranking if that means a huge boost in another. For example, if you're really going hardcore and you would not even budge an 1ms for the input lag, then yes, the Sonys will be the best TV for you. If you value both input lag and motion performance and would like a TV that is balanced on both ends, then either the Samsung F6000 or the plasmas are the alternatives. If you also throw in contrast ratio into the equation, then you need to look at the plasmas hard.

I personally don't like the Sonys as gaming displays because their Motionflow Impulse is still broken. If you do choose to go with a Sony, the W650B is already an excellent starting choice and throwing big money at higher models will only bring miniscule improvements. Let me tell you this.

1. You won't get improved contrast ratio by going with a higher end model. Sony's edge-lit dimming is relatively effective, but in the end, it's still not worth their asking price.

2. You will get better calibration options (no CMS though) by buying a more expensive model, but this only applies if you're willing to pay extra for a calibration.

3. You will see improvements with Motionflow Impulse. (meaning you can go brighter) But I still say only the top end model, the X950B can make practical use of it because of its FALD design. The others may prove too dim for you.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic...85f15d2c871900

If you want a general primer for gaming on a Sony, check out Fudoh's excellent review of the W650a. It's a last year model, but most of what he says in that review still applies to the W650b. Of course, I will have to politely disagree with his statement that the W650a is the best gamer's HDTV in 2013. Not when I am an owner of the Panasonic S60.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Ended up with the Sony 60" 850 model.

I basically decided in store that I wanted a 60" model. That left the KDL60W630B and the KDL60W850B.

I know what I'm getting with the 850B and wasn't sure what screen was in the 630B (the salesman said it was the same tech but I was not convinced) so I paid an extra $300 just to play it safe.

Initial impressions are that the video game experience is nice. Could just be the PS4 upgrade saying that though... I need to go calibrate it for movies and whatnot.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page