Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Samsung Still Not Ready To Invest In OLED TV Production.

Park Dong-gun, CEO of Samsung Display, said that the time is not yet ripe for investing in OLED TV panels within the year. Unlike its rival, LG Display, which is accelerating its forays into the Chinese OLED market with large investments, Samsung Display is still careful.

Mr. Park Dong-gun met reporters on August 27 at ‘International Meeting on Information Display 2014’ in Daegu EXCO. “We already have the related production and infrastructure technology so that we can begin production as quickly as possible when our customer wants it,” he said. “Our investment in OLED TV panels relies on the customer’s will.”

http://english.etnews.com/device/2965454_1304.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Latest rumors are that Samsung is going to release Quantum Dots LCDs at IFA this coming week. While at the same time still looking to get back into OLED production for 2015. Reportedly, the have found a way to reduce the steps needed to make OLED and can increase their yields. I don't see Samsung sitting idly by while LG tries to take off with OLED.

http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-sti...lcds-next-week
post #3 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Well that answers the question asked by some "Should I wait for Samsung to re-enter the OLED market". That apparently won't happen for some time.

I can see the smiles over at LG.
post #4 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Well that answers the question asked by some "Should I wait for Samsung to re-enter the OLED market". That apparently won't happen for some time.

I can see the smiles over at LG.
It simply looks Sammy has no technology able to compete with the LG and is in danger of losing high-end market segment.
Morning5, agkss and XPSTester like this.

irkuck
post #5 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
And I'm still not ready to invest my money in Samsung
post #6 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Latest rumors are that Samsung is going to release Quantum Dots LCDs at IFA this coming week.
Want they're not actually making quantum dot display right? Just using quantum dot led as light source?

I have to say it but quantum led sounds way cooler than OLED. Mommy I'm scared.
post #7 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Want they're not actually making quantum dot display right? Just using quantum dot led as light source?

I have to say it but quantum led sounds way cooler than OLED. Mommy I'm scared.
Samsung trademarked QDOT, so it does look like they might be pushing forward with this since they can not yet compete with LG on OLED. If they don't show them at IFA this week, I would expect some prototypes at CES 2015.
post #8 of 55 Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
It sounds to me like resuming production of OLED TVs is the last thing Samsung wants to do.

""We can't fix the timing of the mass-production of QD screens. But because QD screens can bring better viewing image than conventional LCD screens, QD TVs could become a good competitor with OLED TVs," said the official."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...33_163798.html

Their first failed production efforts probably has left their senior management gun shy about reentering the OLED TV market, and the longer they delay, the more LG Prices will have dropped and make it even harder for Samsung to recoup their startup costs, and also the Chinese will have been making strides in their development of low priced OLED TVs.
dsinger and Morning5 like this.
post #9 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post
It simply looks Sammy has no technology able to compete with the LG and is in danger of losing high-end market segment.
This is my read. There is no evidence they have figured out methods to defy gravity.

Quote:
Samsung trademarked QDOT, so it does look like they might be pushing forward with this since they can not yet compete with LG on OLED. If they don't show them at IFA this week, I would expect some prototypes at CES 2015.
While I doubt they are pursuing anything more than quantum-dot films for LED-LCD sets, if they are hell bent on trying to make full on quantum-dot displays, we can rest easy knowing no such thing is shipping this decade.
Morning5 and agkss like this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #10 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It doesn't matter what your light source is... if your panel is transmissive and it can't go to zero or near-zero black, it may as well be useless to me.

More marketing nonsense - another Samsung "LED TV" all over again. Except this time it's Samsung Quantum TV. Cleans your dishes perfect!
Morning5, homerging and agkss like this.
post #11 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I was an early adopter of a Samsung LED FALD LCD. I don't know what is going on with OLED but I am wondering about the longevity of OLED?
LG stated that their OLED will last as long as a Plasma,but that remains to be seen and we won't know until early adopters report back in a few years.
Thank you early adopter!
post #12 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
This is my read. There is no evidence they have figured out methods to defy gravity.
Build an assembly plant in near Earth orbit?
post #13 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Build an assembly plant in near Earth orbit?

That might be the trick to Samsung solving their OLED production problem - I mean, the issue seems to be sag on their large-size metal mask and that sag only occurs because of gravity, right?

Manufactured in a near-zero gravity environment, Samsung should be able to much more easily scale their very successful mobile phone / tablet OLEDs up to 55" (and greater) OLED TVs :-)
post #14 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Unless QD can compete with OLED level blacks I could care less about it or any other LCD 'invention'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
That might be the trick to Samsung solving their OLED production problem - I mean, the issue seems to be sag on their large-size metal mask and that sag only occurs because of gravity, right?

Manufactured in a near-zero gravity environment, Samsung should be able to much more easily scale their very successful mobile phone / tablet OLEDs up to 55" (and greater) OLED TVs :-)
Or a vomit plane facility.

Last edited by wuther; 09-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.
post #15 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't see Samsung sitting idly by while LG tries to take off with OLED.
Looks like that is exactly what they are doing. LG already has over a year to get there manufacturing down and counting. This could prove to be very costly. Look at the price of the 84 LG VS the 85 Samsung LCD, LG produced the 84" for only 11 more months and they are 25% less in cost on the street. LG will have about 2 years over all other competitors in the OLED arena, I would be shaking in my boots if I was another TV manufacturer at this point.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #16 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Looks like that is exactly what they are doing.

Yes, which is strange. Either there is some strategic element involved or they've been completely outgunned by LG's engineers.
post #17 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Yes, which is strange. Either there is some strategic element involved or they've been completely outgunned by LG's engineers.
The technology Samsung chose to use is fundamentally more complicated than what LG is doing. Samsung was running with the same RGB OLED technology they've been using in their phone-sized Super AMOLED displays, LG uses a simpler white OLED with color overlays design. It's possible they just bet on the wrong horse, it's not as if that has never happened before in consumer electronics.

If Samsung can't figure it out soon, they will either have to use white OLEDs with overlays like LG, or simply cede the entire consumer market to LG. Then again, maybe the Japanese will suddenly have a change of heart and re-enter the consumer OLED market, it's not as if Sony hasn't been selling professional-grade OLED panels for years. They know how to make the things, they just couldn't do it at a price point a consumer would pay.
fafrd, tazz3 and aypues like this.
post #18 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
That was indeed my point about gravity.
Quote:
The problem with zero-G would be that the OLED material would also be in zero-G. Getting that to deposit through the masks would have its own problem. Also, getting the mask and substrate to stay in perfect registration without gravity... Yeah, no.

It's a fun thought experiment, even though it's pointless on many dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
The technology Samsung chose to use is fundamentally more complicated than what LG is doing. Samsung was running with the same RGB OLED technology they've been using in their phone-sized Super AMOLED displays, LG uses a simpler white OLED with color overlays design. It's possible they just bet on the wrong horse, it's not as if that has never happened before in consumer electronics.

If Samsung can't figure it out soon, they will either have to use white OLEDs with overlays like LG, or simply cede the entire consumer market to LG. Then again, maybe the Japanese will suddenly have a change of heart and re-enter the consumer OLED market, it's not as if Sony hasn't been selling professional-grade OLED panels for years. They know how to make the things, they just couldn't do it at a price point a consumer would pay.
Samsung cannot copy LG's method due to patents.

And Samsung shouldn't anyway. They should perfect solution-based OLED printing using inkjet technology. They could then possibly scale faster than LG, rather than foolishly trying to play catchup.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #19 of 55 Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That was indeed my point about gravity.

The problem with zero-G would be that the OLED material would also be in zero-G. Getting that to deposit through the masks would have its own problem. Also, getting the mask and substrate to stay in perfect registration without gravity... Yeah, no.

It's a fun thought experiment, even though it's pointless on many dimensions.

Yeah, perhaps when we have hybrid rockets to cut down on the overhead of take-off and re-entry costs...

The point of this pointless thought experiment is to underline the point that Samsung is facing serious, serious problems on making TVs with their current technology, so an rumors that they are coming back to OLED in 2015 are a fairy tale (understand you know that - more for others).

Quote:
Samsung cannot copy LG's method due to patents.

And Samsung shouldn't anyway. They should perfect solution-based OLED printing using inkjet technology. They could then possibly scale faster than LG, rather than foolishly trying to play catchup.

That is the Kateeva stuff, right? When is the earliest you see any mass-market products (TVs) hitting the channels using printed OLED technology? late 2017? earlier?

Is the promise of the printed OLED technology that it can scale faster (retrofitting existing LCD manufacturing facilities at little capital cost, for example) or that it can be even less expensive to manufacture?
post #20 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While I doubt they are pursuing anything more than quantum-dot films for LED-LCD sets, if they are hell bent on trying to make full on quantum-dot displays, we can rest easy knowing no such thing is shipping this decade.

Found this with more on Samsung and quantum-dot displays: http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-sti...lcds-next-week

"A report from Korea suggests that Samsung is considering to release a prototype LCD TV that uses a quantum-dots film next week. Sony already commercialized quantum-dots TV, and this is a far easier panel to produce compared to OLED TVs. The reports suggests that a commercial QD product from Samsung will be released soon after the trade show."
post #21 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately, being LCD-based, it will have many of the LCD issues that turn off many videophiles.

IMO, this is a poor response to OLED.
Morning5 likes this.
post #22 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 05:20 PM

Liked: 54
Samsung is out. They will try to sell edgelit LCD/LED like always, i hope they survive when chinese manufactures enter in the market, a LED TV, a slim tv, a smart tv, a curved tv, a qd tv, all marketing crap...but the picture will always be the same than cheaper and bigger chinese tv. Thank your LG, the only one that make a huge risk to survive with a better product
post #23 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Isn't the long term strategy with OLED that it will eventually be cheaper to make than LCD? Let's face it, if OLED is cheaper than LCD in a few years it is likely to take over the consumer TV market.
post #24 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Crash and burn Samsung you can keep your silly curves, LED televisions, price fixing, panel swapping, "dynamic" contrast ratios, ten cent capacitors, useless service/operation manuals, IP theft and benchmark manipulations and play it fair like everyone else
post #25 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Could QD be used as a color filter with White OLED? I could totally see Samsung trying to go that route if their current RGB method and ink jet printing never take off.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #26 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post
Could QD be used as a color filter with White OLED? I could totally see Samsung trying to go that route if their current RGB method and ink jet printing never take off.

QD Film merely refines the color composition of the white light but does not filter it - it creates a white light composed of sharper more distinct Red Green and Blue peaks so that the RGB filters can be more effective (and block most/all of the unwanted wavelengths). QD Film might be a good way to take low-cost white (or more likely blue) LEDs and create white light with good RGB chromatic purity from them for wide color gamut and deep color saturation, but that is the chromatic purity that white OLED already offers, so QD film would add nothing but cost to a WOLED TV...
post #27 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 69
definitely wouldn't say its over for them because of this, Samsung has proven to be an impressive marketing force.
post #28 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
definitely wouldn't say its over for them because of this, Samsung has proven to be an impressive marketing force.
They certainly did an impressive marketing job with that all new technology called LED TV's.
post #29 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
They certainly did an impressive marketing job with that all new technology called LED TV's.
Well let's see considering thier curved sets are selling better than the flat models says a lot. Another thing to look at is the fact that the x900b is cheaper than hu9000, which last year was completely opposite. A lots changing just because samsung deosnt have a oled set yet deosnt mean they'll be left behind. Oled still has a few hurdles namely price before the mass market even considers it. This gives samsung a grace period to R&D and release when the time is right. Which I believe is their plan... They want to release a more solid product. The masses aren't running out and buying oleds, so I in no way see this as a slam dunk for lg.
post #30 of 55 Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Liked: 54
Its obviously than their curved Tvs are selling better because almost every high end panel they make is curved and not flat, seems like people like this kind of involution and defend samsung whatever decision they make, sony is not cheaper at all unless you like ips panels. Samsung is a brand that can make everything to make OLED fail just because they cant mass production, even they can make bad advertisement of OLED weak points.

Example: IPhone vs galaxy promos

If we or those who call himself videophiles not support lg now and wait for sammy masterbrain ceo to decide to invest in OLED...
good luck with that edgelit LED tv with maybe 16 zones of local dimming.

Last edited by agkss; 09-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page