Plasma & LCD Flat Panel Display FAQ: Read the FAQ!/ link to Best of R Harkness - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 33 Old 08-22-2005, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, I don't know much about plasma's vs DLP's yet (or even if I'm posting this in the right place). I am looking for a tv around 42" or so for my L-shaped studio. The "nook" that the tv will be in is about 17' x 11' and is right by a big window (which will be on the right side of the tv), and I will usually watch it from about 10' away (unless I'm playing X-box). I'm gonna use it mostly for watching Comcast digital cable (sitcoms and movies, a lot of which I'll record on DVR; dont watch many sports except tennis), watching DVDs, and playing X-box. I'll probably watch cable (mostly DVR) about 40% of the time, DVDs 30% of the time, and X-box 30% of the time. I'm looking to spend around $2000 if possible.

My questions are:

1) Should I go plasma or DLP (or even something else)? I know this is a big debate, just wondering if anyone had opinions based on what I'm gonna be using this for.

2) There will probably be a couch on the left side of the TV. Do the DLP's give sort of a crappy picture when viewing them at an angle?

3) I've heard that both plasma and DLP's have problems when playing X-box, but that DLP's handle it better. For example, in Halo 2 I hear the picture and sound can be out of sync, and if you're playing opponents they may be able to see you move before your tv registers the movement. I've also read that this synchronization problem happens with some Samsung DLP's when watching regular TV. Any experiences?

4) The EDTV vs. HDTV thread convinced me that I won't really be able to tell the difference if I get an EDTV, but the thread is kind of old. Is this still true or have the HD's gotten a lot better?

5) If I'm gonna be watching networks with logos in the corner and playing some X-box should I be worried enough about the screen burn-in issues to not consider a plasma? Again, I know it's a big debate, just wondering if any experts had comments for my specific needs.

6) Will things change dramatically in the next 3 years where I'll regret my decision now? In other words, should I wait a little while?

The two tv's that have caught my (limited) attention are the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY (or maybe the TH-42PWD8UK, not sure of the difference) 42" ED Plasma (~$1800) and the Samsung HLR4266W 42" DLP HDTV (~$2000). Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone, sorry for the long, general post. This is pretty much gonna break the bank so I wanna make the right decision.

-action
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 08-22-2005, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action391
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, I don't know much about plasma's vs DLP's yet (or even if I'm posting this in the right place). I am looking for a tv around 42" or so for my L-shaped studio. The "nook" that the tv will be in is about 17' x 11' and is right by a big window (which will be on the right side of the tv), and I will usually watch it from about 10' away (unless I'm playing X-box). I'm gonna use it mostly for watching Comcast digital cable (sitcoms and movies, a lot of which I'll record on DVR; dont watch many sports except tennis), watching DVDs, and playing X-box. I'll probably watch cable (mostly DVR) about 40% of the time, DVDs 30% of the time, and X-box 30% of the time. I'm looking to spend around $2000 if possible.

My questions are:

1) Should I go plasma or DLP (or even something else)? I know this is a big debate, just wondering if anyone had opinions based on what I'm gonna be using this for.

2) There will probably be a couch on the left side of the TV. Do the DLP's give sort of a crappy picture when viewing them at an angle?

3) I've heard that both plasma and DLP's have problems when playing X-box, but that DLP's handle it better. For example, in Halo 2 I hear the picture and sound can be out of sync, and if you're playing opponents they may be able to see you move before your tv registers the movement. I've also read that this synchronization problem happens with some Samsung DLP's when watching regular TV. Any experiences?

4) The EDTV vs. HDTV thread convinced me that I won't really be able to tell the difference if I get an EDTV, but the thread is kind of old. Is this still true or have the HD's gotten a lot better?

5) If I'm gonna be watching networks with logos in the corner and playing some X-box should I be worried enough about the screen burn-in issues to not consider a plasma? Again, I know it's a big debate, just wondering if any experts had comments for my specific needs.

6) Will things change dramatically in the next 3 years where I'll regret my decision now? In other words, should I wait a little while?

The two tv's that have caught my (limited) attention are the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY (or maybe the TH-42PWD8UK, not sure of the difference) 42" ED Plasma (~$1800) and the Samsung HLR4266W 42" DLP HDTV (~$2000). Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone, sorry for the long, general post. This is pretty much gonna break the bank so I wanna make the right decision.

-action
Your price range will probably only allow an ED plasma, not HD. HD has about 20% extra resolution (pixels), and it all comes down to personal viewing factors: for those watching lots of sports (ie., HD content), PC or gaming use, HD is probably preferred and the extra expense is well worth it. For those who watch a lot of SD and DVDs, the ED may make more sense, since the slightly better resolution of an HD set is not effectively utilized.

The 8UK is the latest 8th generation commercial model. Search the separate thread in this forum on this model. The 7UY is the previous 7th gen also commercial (no tuner or speakers). Panny also makes a consumer plasma (42PWD50U) which has more built in features (again browse the forum).

The DLP is also discussed elsewhere. "Rainbow" effects that some see, bulk of the TV itself, a lamp that can blow out, etc., are some of the downside aspects that heve to be weighed against low cost.

Ultimately you have to learn a bit more... and make a choice. This forum can be a great help!
post #33 of 33 Old 08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
New FAQ by Semigolfer :)

a brand new FAQ will be posted soon: it will replace this one
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page