AVS Forum banner

Panasonic Tease 4K OLED TV

4K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  NintendoManiac64 
#1 ·
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-oledtv-201409073902.htm

"Japanese manufacturer also showcased a 65-inch curved 4K OLED TV prototype at its IFA showhall.

Speaking to HDTVTest, Yuki Kusumi, director of home entertainment business division at Panasonic AVC Networks Company, said that the brand wanted to use the concept models to gauge response and obtain feedback from IFA attendees before deciding whether to release the 65in UHD OLED television onto the retail market. ......

#2 ·
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-oledtv-201409073902.htm

"Japanese manufacturer also showcased a 65-inch curved 4K OLED TV prototype at its IFA showhall.

Speaking to HDTVTest, Yuki Kusumi, director of home entertainment business division at Panasonic AVC Networks Company, said that the brand wanted to use the concept models to gauge response and obtain feedback from IFA attendees before deciding whether to release the 65in UHD OLED television onto the retail market. ......

Sounds like a company that has lost its way...

Perhaps they are preparing a backup plan in case their 'plasma-besting' AX900 LED/LCD doesn't take the market by storm as they are hoping.

#3 ·
They have never been a major player in the large LCD TV market, so I always felt that it was going to very difficult for them to be able to suddenly take away market share from the long established big hitters in that ballpark.

Perhaps OLED might allow them to get a head start in that arena before too many others enter it? But they better not snooze too long, before jumping into it.

#5 · (Edited)
But if they get in early and help to boost demand, they are far more likely to help establish that the product will still be available for them to market, than if they sit it out, until others have already jumped in and gained a big lead on them.

No one every got a hit by deciding to not go up to bat.

#6 ·
But if they get in early and help to boost demand, they are far more likely to help esablish that the product will still be available for them to market, than if they sit it out, until others have already jumped in and gained a big lead on them.

No one every got a hit by deciding to not go up to bat.
True, but this is more like deciding to bat with someone else's bat that you suspect may turn out to be cracked...

The real point is that it is unclear how much 2015 OLED product introductions by Panasonic and Sony are likely to result in any significant boost in demand next year (which is the critical year for LG).

It may happen, but I suspect it will depend on available R&D resources now and market outlook mid next year.

I forecast a reasonably high probability that we will see demonstrators at CES of OLED products from both companies that ultimately don't reach the market until 2016 once they are more certain that LGs WOLED initiative is headed for success...

#7 ·
Having additional long established well respected brand names on the product would be a big boost to sales, in my humble opinion. Some people who may not be inclined to purchase an LG product, might be willing to purchase one with the Sony or Panasonic badge on it. It also would not hurt to have the software engineers at those companies putting their own stamp on the signal and image processing.

Choice for the consumers is never a bad thing. Panasonic should not be waiting to see how many units LG sold, they should be marketing to Panasonic consumers, who do not purchase LG TVs.

#8 ·
#10 · (Edited)
I would not read too much into the choice of the word: "concept" since the Panasonic head of consumer entertainment division said that they were using the display in order to gauge response from those who looked at it, "before deciding whether to release the 65in UHD OLED television onto the retail market." That surely must mean that they are in a position to actually assemble the product and ship it, if they determine that there will be a demand for it. After all, it is probably an LG Panel that Panasonic is just going to have to apply their own processing touches to, much like they now do with large LCD panels, which they also do not manufacture.

#9 ·
It's been claimed on another forum that the actual OLED panel inside this Panasonic set is one sourced from LG Display, which, in addition to being curved, would explain why it's 65" in size.

If this is true, then surely Panasonic must have entered into a deal to obtain at least a handful of panels from LG to serve in these prototypes? And wouldn't it suggest that there's possibly some truth to the notion that Panasonic, and possibly Sony, are in talks to mass produce their own sets using LG OLED-manufactured panels?

Desk

#13 ·
It's been claimed on another forum that the actual OLED panel inside this Panasonic set is one sourced from LG Display, which, in addition to being curved, would explain why it's 65" in size.

If this is true, then surely Panasonic must have entered into a deal to obtain at least a handful of panels from LG to serve in these prototypes? And wouldn't it suggest that there's possibly some truth to the notion that Panasonic, and possibly Sony, are in talks to mass produce their own sets using LG OLED-manufactured panels?

Desk

I would take being 'in talks' as a near certainty and would even find it likely that early-stage development agreements may already be in place.

The key word in your final phrase has been underlined - what annual volume do you mean when you say 'mass' production?

It would be very surprising if Panasonic or Sony were to truly begin investing in product production without volume purchasing agreements in place with LG and their idea of what 'mass production commitments' mean is likely to be far smaller than LGs ideas of 'mass production commitments' (which are more likely to be accommodated by their Chinese manufacturing partners).

#12 ·
I would not launch a product based on what a group of people have said about some other brand. They may have come up with better image processing than LG has, and are wondering if those who look at the display have noticed the difference. After all, LG Engineers never came close to Panasonic's when it came to Plasma displays.

#32 ·
Saw this telly at IFA, was inho, the best TV in the show, made their new 900 range look like a POS.

If Panasonic can be bring this to market at under 5000 Euros, I'm pretty sure they will sell like hotcakes.

I was under the impression that the LG panels were only 1080p and that this was the 1st 4k OLED panel, is this correct?

#33 ·
Saw this telly at IFA, was inho, the best TV in the show, made their new 900 range look like a POS.

If Panasonic can be bring this to market at under 5000 Euros, I'm pretty sure they will sell like hotcakes.

I was under the impression that the LG panels were only 1080p and that this was the 1st 4k OLED panel, is this correct?
lg is bringing out their 4k oled within the next 60 days or so

#36 ·
Whilst choice is no bad thing, I don't quite get the mad enthusiasm for a Panasonic OLED. The company has no track record here, so what is it you think they will do better than LG?

And bear in mind that, although Panasonic's TVs have had many great qualities over the years (which is why I have stayed with them) and the 60 series was great, Panasonic produced flagship TVs with very serious design flaws four years running. They are capable of great things, but also, unfortunately, incredibly error prone.

#39 ·
Well for all of the complaints here about video processing, I don't think I've heard of many complaints from owners thus far...motion handling aside. The major question going forward, is how the UHD displays will handle 2K>4K upconversion. I've had no experience with LG's UHD LCDs to get any kind of handle on that.

#43 ·
For me, video processing includes all of these: motion enhancement, de-interlacing, color tracking, calibration controls, scaling, and noise reduction. LG is very weak in all those areas. Just look at the shootout results (inaccurate color, bad motion resolution, and excessive noise reduction). Also check out any reviews of high-end LG LCDs. At least LG managed to improve video processing lag on the EC9300.

I agree Sony is the best in this area.

#40 ·
On a more mundane customer brand preference level; some people who have soured on the LG brand name for what ever reason, trouble with previous products etc; might just be inclined to purchase an OLED TV with the Panasonic badge on it. I have no serious objections to LG TVs, other than they never were able to develop a Plasma set that came close to what Panasonic ending up developing, so I would like to see what Panasonic could do with with OLED panels.

#45 ·
Wizz, let's put this in perspective. First, as I recall, D-Nice wasn't sure the cyan error was the result of a color tracking error. I haven't heard of owners complaining much about color. Some have had difficulty with calibration, but once there, it appears to be fine (aside from cyan). Remember, they had to search for a movie and a scene to demonstrate the cyan error. Otherwise it went unnoticed.

The issue with noise reduction was simply an apparently inoperative on/off switch. LG claimed they'd look in to this.

As for deinterlacing, I don't recall hearing that as an issue at the shootout. Did I miss that?

Scaling? What scaling was done on the 1080p display at the shootout? Everything I saw was 1080p in and 1080p out. Scaling will become an issue (or won't) with the upcoming UHD displays. Let's wait and see.

The bottom line is that whatever the LG is doing right or wrong, it's creating the best picture we've ever seen. So if this is a question of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole, that's good enough for me. :)

#47 ·
The bottom line is that whatever the LG is doing right or wrong, it's creating the best picture we've ever seen. So if this is a question of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole, that's good enough for me. :)
Yeah but certain LCDs owners do not want to acknowledge that. Just as they did not want to acknowledge it for plasmas.

OK, since you are just speculating on the sales numbers that Panasonic would have to feel they could sell in order to make it worthwhile. I think that they should expect to sell more than 50 thousand units globally in the first year. Being the only domestic brand name in Japan having the OLED TV available, should sell a lot of them there.
Panasonic is currently selling OLEDs in Japan?

#49 ·
Hello,

According to that French site (who could have a chat with LG people, "behind closed doors" at IFA), Panasonic is indeed using LG's Oled panels, and according to Bloomberg, there are currently talks between LG and Panasonic who is interested in buying Oled panels > 55' and then apply their own "magic" before releasing them to the public ...

You'll also be able to take a look at LG's upcoming 55' UHD Oled TV in the same article:

lesnumeriques.com/tv-televiseur/chronologie-televiseurs-oled-sous-deux-ans-a1865.html

Sorry guys, but since this is my first post here I wasn't allowed to post the link, but you only need to add h...w... to make it work ...

#58 · (Edited)
As a PC user, there are two big reasons that a Panasonic OLED would trump an LG OLED.

1. DisplayPort input (critical for 4k @ 60hz), which is present on Panasonic's other 4k displays.

2. Input lag. LG's 55EA9800 has a quite high 55ms of total input lag according to here:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

EDIT: I meant that DisplayPort is critical for the source in order to output 4k @ 60hz. No PC GPU supports HDMI 2.0 while DisplayPort 1.2 has been around for a few years now (since the Radeon 6000 series).

#59 ·
1. DisplayPort input (critical for 4k @ 60hz), which is present on Panasonic's other 4k displays.
Page 24 of the 55EC9300 manual mentions the 77EC9800 and claims that it was capable of doing 4k @ 60hz with 4:4:4 subsampling at 8 bits on the HDMI3 port.

2. Input lag. LG's 55EA9800 has a quite high 55ms of total input lag according to here
avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1653657-lg-55ec9300-55-oled-owners-thread-32.html#post27048818

This post from the 9300 thread has a couple tips for lower input lag, reaching 29.6 ms.

Of course, this isn't confirmed for the yet to be released models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.