Best TV for built-in media file compatibility playback and USB 3.0 support? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wiplash2000

post #1 of 11 Old 10-05-2014, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Best TV for built-in media file compatibility playback and USB 3.0 support?

I'm planning on purchasing a decent size (ideally 50"+) TV in India, and I'm looking for something that has the broadest range of built-in file compatibility possible - something that can take whatever MKV, AVI, MP4 or whatever other encoding I throw at it. It should also ideally support USB3.0 so that I can plugin a disk of movies and browse the list and play them straight from the HD.

Anyone have any experience or particular advice? Please do not tell me to get an external device because this is for my parents and I need to keep it as simple as possible, and ideally should involve me handing over a USB stick full of movies that they can playback from straightaway.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiplash2000 View Post
I'm planning on purchasing a decent size (ideally 50"+) TV in India, and I'm looking for something that has the broadest range of built-in file compatibility possible - something that can take whatever MKV, AVI, MP4 or whatever other encoding I throw at it. It should also ideally support USB3.0 so that I can plugin a disk of movies and browse the list and play them straight from the HD.

Anyone have any experience or particular advice? Please do not tell me to get an external device because this is for my parents and I need to keep it as simple as possible, and ideally should involve me handing over a USB stick full of movies that they can playback from straightaway.

Thanks
Samsung all day on that! They support all those media file formats via USB 3.0 & 2.0 and WiFi direct! I can stream full 4K content from my Galaxy Note 3 directly to the TV! It's very flexible on media support (specifically the 8550 series). I'm sure they'll continue the media support for the new gen models as well.

See the manual for the 65" here. It list all the plethora of file formats!

LG was 2nd on the list with their 9800 series but they dropped the ball on the latest sets with WebOS support!

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #3 of 11 Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Lucky you. I just did a test like that not long ago with several top brands: Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Sony.

The clear winner and the ONLY brand that played all my files from a USB key: Sony 65XBR-X900B.

Go on Sony web site and they describe just that what you are looking for.

Enjoy!

Samsung PN64F8500 & Pioneer PDP-5080 (KURO 8G) Plasma TVs
Sony AV Receiver STR-DN1050 & Pioneer Receiver VSX-1122-K
Sources: HTPC Dell XPS 8700 (Modified), Blu-ray
Energy RC & Veritas Speakers
Proud AVS Forum's Reader since 2006
post #4 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The clear winner and the ONLY brand that played all my files from a USB key: Sony 65XBR-X900B.
I stopped trying Sony after the first two generations wouldn't allow 4K video playback from USB (and other standard 1080p formats as well). Do they allow 4K playback now? Actually I answered my own question looking at the manual. They STILL don't support 4K videos on USB media! The outrage!

Also they don't have USB 3.0 which the OP was inquiring about. :-(

So like I stated, Samsung is the way to go. The 55" 6950 series is nicely priced around $1500.

Last edited by Troy LaMont; 10-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
I stopped trying Sony after the first two generations wouldn't allow 4K video playback from USB (and other standard 1080p formats as well). Do they allow 4K playback now? Actually I answered my own question looking at the manual. They STILL don't support 4K videos on USB media! The outrage!

So like I stated, Samsung is the way to go. The 55" 6950 series is nicely priced around $1500.
Where did you see OP asking for playback of 4K?

He wants "ideally" a USB 3.0 but the Sonys I tested played SD, HD and FHD content super well from USB 2.0 stick.

That's is EXACTLY what OP wanted. Choice is his.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where did you see OP asking for playback of 4K?
Well if you read my response it says "I stopped trying Sony...", so I was referring to myself, not the OP.

Why limit your media playback options if you're going to spend thousands of dollars for a device that will last for years and it doesn't even support the type of media it was designed to display (4K)?!! Pretty silly if you ask me, especially given that Sony pretty much ushered the 4K movement!

Again on the USB, why limit yourself to USB 2.0 when there are very capable sets that have and support USB 3.0 (Samsung)?

You make a lot of assumptions:

Quote:
Explain to me how that's clear to anyone but yourself? Obviously you didn't test the Samsung models accordingly.

Quote:
That's is EXACTLY what OP wanted.
How you know that's EXACTLY what he wanted?? Anyway, he has information for a decision. You can debate semantics all day.

Ciao

post #7 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiplash2000 View Post

Thanks
This thread should not exist
If you are selecting the tv to buy based on playback capability then you are completely in the wrong direction.
If you buy a tv then you should focus on picture quality, contrast, blacks, etc
File playback is the last think to focus on. Buying a crappy tv with nice playback is a joke.
Find a great tv, if it plays all format it's gone, if it doesn't then there are tons of media players out there to play any file out of the box for hundred bucks or less
post #8 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Well if you read my response it says "I stopped trying Sony...", so I was referring to myself, not the OP.

Why limit your media playback options if you're going to spend thousands of dollars for a device that will last for years and it doesn't even support the type of media it was designed to display (4K)?!! Pretty silly if you ask me, especially given that Sony pretty much ushered the 4K movement!

Again on the USB, why limit yourself to USB 2.0 when there are very capable sets that have and support USB 3.0 (Samsung)?

You make a lot of assumptions:

Explain to me how that's clear to anyone but yourself? Obviously you didn't test the Samsung models accordingly.

How you know that's EXACTLY what he wanted?? Anyway, he has information for a decision. You can debate semantics all day.

Ciao
Your post is INSULTING I put you on my IGNORE LIST.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sincere thanks to all of you for such excellent replies and detail!

I had a good look at the options available and decided to go check a couple out in-store with a USB3 harddisk and a bunch of mkv files that they'd ideally be able to handle. As Troy pointed out, the Samsung TVs being demonstrated all managed to playback the files I tried out perfectly smoothly (mostly 1080p and 720p mkvs). I was advised by the in-store team that the Sony they had on demo wouldn't be able to handle the USB disk, and that in their experience Samsung was king for external media playback. I therefore ended up picking up the 55" Samsung H6400 online for a steal on eBay for INR 88K (I'd provide a link but apparently my post count isn't high enough). This was frankly the only one within budget anyway - the Sonys were a LOT more expensive.

For what it's worth, 4K was unimportant to me, given that the majority of media I plan to give them is 1080p and I don't know of any proper 4K broadcasts or similar.

Much thanks Troy LaMont and XPSTester!
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-09-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:

Not true. I have successfully played my edited, 4K projects, on the latest gen Sony UHD TVs. I've done this a number of times on different 2014 Sonys, including their newer 79" UHD set. In fact, I haven't found a 2014 UHD TV that couldn't play 4K files from a USB drive.

Samsung- check
Sony-check
LG-check
post #11 of 11 Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Not true. I have successfully played my edited, 4K projects, on the latest gen Sony UHD TVs. I've done this a number of times on different 2014 Sonys, including their newer 79" UHD set. In fact, I haven't found a 2014 UHD TV that couldn't play 4K files from a USB drive.

Samsung- check
Sony-check
LG-check
Ken, they blatantly advertise compatibility with the AX100 so I'm not surprised those files work. The last time I tried on the second gen sets, forget the model numbers, I tried files from my Galaxy Note 3, the AX100, the Panny GH4 and some other misc files, none of them worked.

But I'm glad to see they're finally coming around to better media support, including 4K. Thanks for the update.

Wiplash, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! Glad to have been of service.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
encoding , mkv , playback