Official OWNERS thread for 2014 OLED LG 55ec9300 Part II - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1227Likes

post #691 of 5020 Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Good news!

The LG "Tech Guy" just left, a smart pleasant guy. I showed him the soap clip on my theater downstairs, to demonstrate the evenness of the screen with the B&W vignettes (see screen shots above as a reference). Then I played the same clip on the LG OLED, and he immediately was on the phone to LG Tech support. He was great: "The defect is obvious when looking at B&W, but then you will see in with a color program."

He will be coming back Tuesday with a new main board (?) and he told me: "If that doesn't work, we have many other options." Whatever - I believe I've found an advocate at LG. I showed him the screen shots on AVS and his eyes got big.

Bottom line - I believe that LG wants to insure that these high end TVs look good and have happy owners. This is good news to all owners.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 5020 Old 12-20-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 405
^If the main board fixes it or makes it passable, I gotta believe the problem can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. If it doesn't change after board replacement then the problem is obviously in the manufacturing of the panels (most likely) and can't be "repaired" without changing the panel. It actually would have been nice if he just "shotgun" the diagnosis and ordered both the board and panel. Either way good luck!

LG OLED65B6P /LG UP970 4k Bluray/Chromecast Ultra
Nvidia Shield Pro Media Player/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #693 of 5020 Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6650 Post(s)
Liked: 7326
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
^If the main board fixes it or makes it passable, I gotta believe the problem can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. If it doesn't change after board replacement then the problem is obviously in the manufacturing of the panels (most likely) and can't be "repaired" without changing the panel. It actually would have been nice if he just "shotgun" the diagnosis and ordered both the board and panel. Either way good luck!
I'd agree that the issue is more likely with the panel itself. Hopefully it is the board. If so, that would really help anyone that has a sub-par uniformity issue.

post #694 of 5020 Old 12-20-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

It makes sense that they would focus on the electronics first. I think this issue is about proper voltages across the screen, as opposed to the physical issues found with edge lit LCD panels.
MartyGillis likes this.

J.Mike
post #695 of 5020 Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked: 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSaved View Post
Its true what they advertise deepest blacks to the whitest whites wow. I'm really impressed with this set. I have tried the settings on this thread the are good, however I still favor factory game setting for most all content its really nice.
That is great that it was easy to tune yours into the way you like pretty quick.
post #696 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has the latest firmware solved the "out of memory" issue when using webos apps like the web browser?

LG come on.. release the new firmware to the European model!!
Pressing that damn check update button several times a day.
post #697 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I'd agree that the issue is more likely with the panel itself. Hopefully it is the board. If so, that would really help anyone that has a sub-par uniformity issue.
Ken, how would you explain perfect screen uniformity for red/blue/green screens, but with program material, not so much? Seems to me (and I might be wrong) that 'converging' the RGBW sub-pixels requires precision. Remember when Wm. Phelps provided a method to fine tune the JCV D-ILA RGB pixels using a service menu - results were perfect uniformity. I'm thinking that if the issue is the proper driving of the sub-pixels, and not a physical defect, then a cottage industry will crop up to address this.

J.Mike
post #698 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa View Post
You need to compare with the same source.
Umm, it is the same source. What's your point?

J.Mike
post #699 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Umm, it is the same source. What's your point?
One is a cropped 16x9 TV broadcast and the other seems to be a Blu-ray, so no.
post #700 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What exactly was in the new update? I have the tv set to auto download, but I wish there was a link to tell me why exactly it does
post #701 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is great that it was easy to tune yours into the way you like pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvov7342 View Post
Under general, scroll down & click the update button
You can set it to auto update too, is there a way to find out WHAT the updates do? I have a notification that 04.40.29 was installed but nothing on what it addressed
post #702 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnsky View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! Ok so now the HDMI ARC input on the sound bar is working and perfect sound is outputting. Screen still goes black every 5 seconds or so. So frustrating.
I had the same problem, with an lg sound bar; great sound but NO image,
I swapped out my hdmi (bluerigger) with a honeywell series 3 and it worked fine, weird it was a brand new cable also it might of been glitched?

Ended up using an optical cord anyway to hide the wires easier, lol
On a side note...has anyone used the Lg wireless communications connection to their sound bar? If so what quality is that? Better than optical?
I tried it, and it sounded good, but I wonder what I am sacrificing going wireless.
post #703 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
It makes sense that they would focus on the electronics first. I think this issue is about proper voltages across the screen, as opposed to the physical issues found with edge lit LCD panels.
You may be right. Hopefully the tech can get you, and us some answers. I just thought that for your sake, it would have been nice of him to order both parts so u don't have to wait even longer if/when the board doesn't help. That may not make $ sense for LG, but hey, they gotta make u happy. Don't they?

LG OLED65B6P /LG UP970 4k Bluray/Chromecast Ultra
Nvidia Shield Pro Media Player/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #704 of 5020 Old 12-21-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa View Post
One is a cropped 16x9 TV broadcast and the other seems to be a Blu-ray, so no.
Well, I stand corrected, but how can you explain the difference? It would be great for the OP to chime in.

J.Mike
post #705 of 5020 Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
pc mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvaholic View Post
You try switching the HDMI input to "PC" yet?
I tried PC mode and I didn't like the pic at all I thought it looked worse.
Morning5 likes this.
post #706 of 5020 Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM

I also tried to find out what the update was to no avail its probably top secret....
post #707 of 5020 Old 12-23-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi there, it's been a while.

I've noticed some posts regarding PC mode and games. From what I've experienced over the past couple of months, the input lag in Game Mode is low enough for a responsive and enjoyable gaming experience. Re-naming the input to PC (select PC from the input list, do not manually re-name it) cuts down input lag even further. Initially, I did not notice the difference, until I started playing Halo MCC a few weeks ago, and I felt a subtle but appreciable increased responsiveness when aiming around rapidly. The only drawback for PC mode is that colors become a little less "punchy", and most picture settings get disabled. The pictures looks slightly less polished and a only a little washed out, but still looks great.

On LED/LCD TVs, switching to PC mode makes the picture noticeably washed out to the point where PQ can look horrible (one that I wouldn't play on). The good news is that, thanks to the perfect OLED black level that creates an incredible contrast, the picture in PC mode on OLED does not look as washed out as it does on LED/LCD. I don’t feel I’m missing much on colors when gaming in PC mode but I sometimes switch back and forth between the two modes (depending on the game I’m playing).

In summary, PC mode cuts down lag even further to a tangible level for regular gamers (especially in FPS), but it comes at a slight penalty in the form of less punchy colors. I believe the difference in input lag between Game and PC Modes would be noticeable to the regular gamers, but casual gamers probably wouldn't notice it.

Just my two cents.
Morning5, Yappadappadu and Phlier like this.
post #708 of 5020 Old 12-23-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi all,

first of all, thanks to everyone who are sharing their experience with this TV

I've purchased an 55EC930V last week in France and I'm very happy with it

I've a question regarding the firmware

is it possible to install the US FW (04.40.29) with an USB key to this European TV ?

thanks

regards
post #709 of 5020 Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsc01 View Post
Hi all,

first of all, thanks to everyone who are sharing their experience with this TV

I've purchased an 55EC930V last week in France and I'm very happy with it

I've a question regarding the firmware

is it possible to install the US FW (04.40.29) with an USB key to this European TV ?

thanks

regards

Unfortunately, you can't! We will have to sit out until it will be available for the European market.

Jan
post #710 of 5020 Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetRun View Post
I had the same problem, with an lg sound bar; great sound but NO image,
I swapped out my hdmi (bluerigger) with a honeywell series 3 and it worked fine, weird it was a brand new cable also it might of been glitched?

Ended up using an optical cord anyway to hide the wires easier, lol
On a side note...has anyone used the Lg wireless communications connection to their sound bar? If so what quality is that? Better than optical?
I tried it, and it sounded good, but I wonder what I am sacrificing going wireless.
I received the LG sound bar as part of the BB promotion when the sets first came out and I'm not noticing any difference. However, while I am a musician, I am 60yo and don't have the high frequency hearing range I had when I was younger.

My first thought when I read your post was… it's a sound bar, do you really expect to hear a difference?! LOL
post #711 of 5020 Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slone View Post
It looks like you have an overall purple tint on the LG 930V that could be adjusted out using the settings. But you have uniformity issues that may still be objectionable. Color corrected image attached.
I have the same uniformity issue, green in the middle, pink on the outside. I called LG and sent them photos, they suggested having the TV replaced.
post #712 of 5020 Old 12-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Hey thanks bee. Thats really informative. kev
TheBee07 likes this.
post #713 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

So, the main board arrived (2 were sent by LG), but it was too late for the tech to swap out, so he's coming Saturday. This is supposed to fix the endemic color uniformity defect on the 9300? [shaking my head]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8460c2fb-65e3-4182-91e4-fbc16018d4b0.png
Views:	346
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	438682  

J.Mike
post #714 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
So, the main board arrived (2 were sent by LG), but it was too late for the tech to swap out, so he's coming Saturday. This is supposed to fix the endemic color uniformity defect on the 9300? [shaking my head]
I hope it is that easy so we can all get a main board (MB) fixed.

This is typical TV repair protocol, swap boards. The TV techs love to swap boards since they get paid for service calls. If it was the panel, LG just send a new TV or tell you to exchange with the retailer. One TV tech guy told me he gets dispatch sometimes to destroy the old TV after a replacement to make sure the old TV does not get resold.

But, MB swap might fix the issue indirectly if he has to adjust settings and voltages after replacement. (assuming it is not the panel.) I would love to get my hands on a service manual.
post #715 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^LG replaced my 9800 with a new panel as opposed to sending an entirely new TV when I was having a subpixel failure addressed. These babies are quite modular. That may be the route J. Mike ultimately goes.
post #716 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjewel View Post
^LG replaced my 9800 with a new panel as opposed to sending an entirely new TV when I was having a subpixel failure addressed. These babies are quite modular. That may be the route J. Mike ultimately goes.
That is good to know.

Did you notice if he needed to adjust any settings after the panel swap?

I thinking of the "old" days with plasma where the tech is suppose to redo the grayscale or adjust some voltages.

Happy Holidays!
post #717 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom4prez View Post
I hope it is that easy so we can all get a main board (MB) fixed.

This is typical TV repair protocol, swap boards. The TV techs love to swap boards since they get paid for service calls. If it was the panel, LG just send a new TV or tell you to exchange with the retailer. One TV tech guy told me he gets dispatch sometimes to destroy the old TV after a replacement to make sure the old TV does not get resold.

But, MB swap might fix the issue indirectly if he has to adjust settings and voltages after replacement. (assuming it is not the panel.) I would love to get my hands on a service manual.
I'm concerned about this "main" board swap, because it appears to process incoming signals (has all the inputs attached) and I bet the incoming signal is amplified and processed on others boards. I doubt this board drives the screen. And keep in mind that the uniformity issue appears on internally generated video signals. This 'swap' will no doubt lead to a dead end.

J.Mike
post #718 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom4prez View Post
That is good to know.

Did you notice if he needed to adjust any settings after the panel swap?

I thinking of the "old" days with plasma where the tech is suppose to redo the grayscale or adjust some voltages.

Happy Holidays!
Same to you! Nope, it was purely plug and play.
post #719 of 5020 Old 12-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Just an update on my experience with the 9300 OLED.
Yes game mode needs a little adjusting I used Rockin Rays game mode settings on this thread.I also keep my darbee at about 42 on my oppo and run my direct tv through that also.
I also adjusted Cinema mode to the OLED settings on the sound and vision review website.I adjusted the ISF Expert 2 to OLED (FlatpanelsHD) website review.And adjusted the ISF Expert 1 to page 13 of this thread.These settings seem to get better results at this point as I now have about 160 hours on my 9300 now.In case anybody wants to know.
Merry Christmas kev Psalms23
Matt2026 likes this.
post #720 of 5020 Old 12-25-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have just read through all the posts since I last posted on page 11 (#324, movie screenshots in #329 ). As a quick refresher, I experienced heavy uniformity issues (screenshots were included in my post) with pink middle areas and yellow/green tints on the edges and was going to call in to the store that I bought that TV at to see if there was anything that could be done.

They were very helpful when I showed them the screenshots of both color and black and white films (Thin Red Line, Nebraska) where it was noticeable and when they got three more of the TVs, they called me in to pick one to exchange for. I went in, they put up a white screen for me on the first one and it had the exact same issue that mine did. I was pretty resigned to the idea that all the panels had this problem at that point but we pulled out the second one, plugged it in and looked at it, and it was FAR better. The spreading of the color is very close to BrulesThe1's screenshots in post 673 with just the very far edges of the TV having a greenish yellow tint. I tested Nebraska on it again and the tint was far less distracting. And now without the pink tint, it barely affects color films. So it's not perfect but now so minor it's a non-issue for me. I suggest anyone who has these issues press for an exchange until they find a panel that's actually tolerable - they do exist!

I've had this TV for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with it (miss my Panny 65VT25 but there was no way it was gonna fit in my new condo), though still trying to get the right calibration settings for it. I liked fullybob's initial settings at first but the people in Parks and Recreation were looking too red at times - though I think that show might just not be the best demo material haha. I still can't get the TV to look as beautiful as the color on the 65VT25 (where I used D-Nice's calibration settings when I first got it several years ago) and the blacks just seem to be too crushed in a lot of films right now. Have copied a bunch of the settings people have posted in this thread including fullybob's new ones and am going to try them out.
MartyGillis and Morning5 like this.

Last edited by jcphoenix; 12-25-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
1080p , great television set , hdtv , lg 55ec9300 , oled , yamaha ats-1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page