• 1 Post By rogo
post #1 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 931
CES 2015 Predictions?

Seen bits and pieces on the web, but nothing really substantial.

For instance, will Sharp *finally* make Moth-Eye universally available (hope hope hope)?

Any 8K stuff going on?

Are we going to see a competing emissive tech announced as a possible alternative to OLED?

Will flexible screens be the primary tech shown off?

Will Samsung officially announce something one way or the other regarding OLED?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Promises and demos while we talk about where they are same time next year.
post #3 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 272
There will be 8K, at least from Sharp as they have been showing it the past few years. LG will have flat OLEDs at 55 and 65 inches. I expect that they will be the only CE with OLEDs at the show. I expect the big pushes at CES 2015 will be Quantum Dot and High Dynamic Range capable displays and not OLEDs.

Louder is NOT better!
post #4 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
I expect the big pushes at CES 2015 will be Quantum Dot and High Dynamic Range capable displays and not OLEDs.
Oye. Two technologies I believe to be "eh."

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #5 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 272
High dynamic range has great potential and will work with OLED. Not sure about how great QD will be but the CE's will be touting it as the next great advance.

Louder is NOT better!
post #6 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
HDR will not work with the current iteration of OLED. As I recall, Joe Kane claimed there was not enough brightness at this point.
post #7 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I agree that there might be lots of QD prototypes. And we can hope that this will be the year with lots of flat OLEDs. I believe that sooner or later there will be lots of flat OLEDs at one of those consumer electronic shows.
post #8 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As long as the focus is not on LCD technology I'll be happy. There needs to be several companies to come out with displays that satisfy the needs of people such as myself who care about picture quality, contrast ratio, and black level, and any display that uses a backlight isn't going to do it.
post #9 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Seen bits and pieces on the web, but nothing really substantial.

Any 8K stuff going on?
For the nerds............
At least editing systems for 8K~60fps seems to be ready for next year, which means there needs to be 8K TV/monitors for displaying material - In collaboration with NHK.
Quantel Pablo Rio powers up to deliver world's first 8K 60p post workflow
Realtime 8K 60p editing and color correction unveiled at InterBEE 2014
post #10 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post
As long as the focus is not on LCD technology I'll be happy. There needs to be several companies to come out with displays that satisfy the needs of people such as myself who care about picture quality, contrast ratio, and black level, and any display that uses a backlight isn't going to do it.
{chuckle} So apparently you only want LG there?

post #11 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 242
LG has already won CES 2015. Maybe everyone else will stay home. LOL

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...rtphones/19406

I would love to see LGD sell it's OLED displays to Panasonic and Sony. LG OLED screen + Sony processing = sex for the eyes.
post #12 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I predict that a manufacturer will present something that will be hyped relentlessly for months here at avs.

Does anyone remember the CES 2014 hype around the vizio P and R series? Well the R series is still vaporware 11 months later and the hdguru gave the P series his lowest rating possible!!

Of course reasonable people expected this, but too many people bought into the hype.

http://hdguru.com/vizio-4k-ultra-hig...2ui-b2-review/
post #13 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My prediction is that whatever TV they show at CES will not be available for at least a year...based on this years data.
post #14 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
I predict that a manufacturer will present something that will be hyped relentlessly for months here at avs.

Does anyone remember the CES 2014 hype around the vizio P and R series? Well the R series is still vaporware 11 months later and the hdguru gave the P series his lowest rating possible!!

Of course reasonable people expected this, but too many people bought into the hype.

http://hdguru.com/vizio-4k-ultra-hig...2ui-b2-review/
I still think there's a significant chance that they won't release a Vizio-R ever. Not even at 65".

post #15 of 26 Unread Yesterday, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
LG >>> Walls literally covered with OLED displays, just to make a point, and the company will be finally showing full production 65" model, gives us a peek at its promised 77" model and announce line of UHDTVs using Quantum Dot tech + LG FALD + IPS panel, just to stick it to Samsung.
Samsung >>> No OLED models shown but the company will announce a full line 42"~85" diagonal affordable UHDTVs using Quantum Dot tech and FALD to compete against Vizio grabbing so much market share, better position itself against inexpensive Chinese manufacturers and possibly vanquishing Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba respective TV divisions once and for all.
Vizio >>> Will finally display its fabled 65" R-Series model as well as announce different size models for its P-Series to include 79" and 85" UHDTVs, with the 79" model listed at $3,700.00 and the 85" model listed at $5,500.00.
Sharp >>> Will continue to bleed both in profitability and market share, show some more unexciting edge-lit models while concentrating in being a LCD panel OEM for other companies.
Sony >>> Will show the same models now available for sale but at lower pricing + different numbers, so as not to upset customers that paid more for this year's version; By the end of 3rd quarter 2015 the company will announce temporarily closing its TV division but three months later change that to permanency due to its inability competing in manufacturing costs against the Chinese menace.
Panasonic >>> Reps will excitedly preach the wonders of the 65" TX900 model and nothing else, and by the end of 3rd quarter 2015...
Seiki >>> Will display full line of UHDTVs from 42"~85" using Quantum Dot tech + FALD + proprietary technology for lowest msrp to compete against Vizio and Samsung. The company will make special sales arrangements with Walmart/Target/Costco/Best Buy to sell very large volume at low dealer cost.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We shall see how it comes to pass my friends....
albsky likes this.
post #16 of 26 Unread Today, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I still think there's a significant chance that they won't release a Vizio-R ever. Not even at 65".
You just made fafrd's ears itch and...

b b b but http://www.vizio.com/r-series (it's on the Internet, it must be true imminent)
post #17 of 26 Unread Today, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
I questioned the R series being real many times. I got a lot of hate in the LCD area. I got bored and left the LCD area.

I've been terribly disappointed by how terrible the P series apparently is. It has all the hardware to be outstanding but apparently lacked 3-5 good display engineers to implement the firmware intelligently. Maybe when Sony lays them off next year?
tgm1024 likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #18 of 26 Unread Today, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Philips hints at OLED TV release in 2015 !
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1416829363
"Philips has been working on an OLED TV for a few years now, confirms a TP Vision spokesperson in an interview with Nu.nl.
During that period, OLED TVs have had some issues, he argues, but suggests that a commercial launch of the first Philips OLED TV is nearing, and hints at a 2015 launch.
He specifically says that the team has been working on improving the color range of the TV !
The ( PHILIPS) OLED TV could be the first to combine OLED display technology with Google’s Android TV platform !"

Will be shown in Las Vegas.

Last edited by janunio; Today at 12:55 AM.
post #19 of 26 Unread Today, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
What's interesting about Philips is their apparent involvement in developing OLED lighting. Is the above the fruits of that R&D or are these LG-sourced panels?

OK, after reading the article, it appears to be from LG as one would more likely expect (this key quote was omitted above):

"At a recent Philips event, the company showcased an OLED TV prototype based on a panel from LG.Display, which is currently the only manufacturer of OLED TV panels. LG is also selling OLED TV panels to other Chinese manufacturers."

Which tells me it's a rebadge, but I'm glad they're moving forward. It's hard to find Philip TVs in NA anymore.

Last edited by sterlingjewel; Today at 01:09 AM.
post #20 of 26 Unread Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
LG >>> Walls literally covered with OLED displays, just to make a point, and the company will be finally showing full production 65" model, gives us a peek at its promised 77" model and announce line of UHDTVs using Quantum Dot tech + LG FALD + IPS panel, just to stick it to Samsung.
Samsung >>> No OLED models shown but the company will announce a full line 42"~85" diagonal affordable UHDTVs using Quantum Dot tech and FALD to compete against Vizio grabbing so much market share, better position itself against inexpensive Chinese manufacturers and possibly vanquishing Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba respective TV divisions once and for all.
Vizio >>> Will finally display its fabled 65" R-Series model as well as announce different size models for its P-Series to include 79" and 85" UHDTVs, with the 79" model listed at $3,700.00 and the 85" model listed at $5,500.00.
Sharp >>> Will continue to bleed both in profitability and market share, show some more unexciting edge-lit models while concentrating in being a LCD panel OEM for other companies.
Sony >>> Will show the same models now available for sale but at lower pricing + different numbers, so as not to upset customers that paid more for this year's version; By the end of 3rd quarter 2015 the company will announce temporarily closing its TV division but three months later change that to permanency due to its inability competing in manufacturing costs against the Chinese menace.
Panasonic >>> Reps will excitedly preach the wonders of the 65" TX900 model and nothing else, and by the end of 3rd quarter 2015...
Seiki >>> Will display full line of UHDTVs from 42"~85" using Quantum Dot tech + FALD + proprietary technology for lowest msrp to compete against Vizio and Samsung. The company will make special sales arrangements with Walmart/Target/Costco/Best Buy to sell very large volume at low dealer cost.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We shall see how it comes to pass my friends....
Regarding Samsung, comments in another thread with info supposedly coming from Samsung procurement insiders would indicate no quantum dot in 2015. Too late for 2015 model year. FALD maybe but their local dimming edge lit does very well on measured black levels and thin is still attractive. My personal bet is we will see FLAT models in their top of the line sets indicating that curved only is losing them sales. Also provides excuse for price drop which Visio and others are forcing on them.

Regarding Panasonic my prediction is they are in a holding pattern waiting for a "graceful", face saving way to exit the TV business entirely. Perhaps they spin off the TV business and merge it with Sony and Sharp into Japan United TV Manufacturing.com.

My main worry and bitch is that I have decided to buy a large 4k TV next year as a bridge to a ~77" 4k OLED in 2017 BUT want a set that will meet expected 4k Blu-ray specs especially regarding color gamut (e.g. DCI-p3 or larger) and think these will be hard to find in 2015 models larger than 70". This ties back to 2015 quantum dot comment in that many Samsung 2016 sets (as well as other mft.) will have this or some other gamut expanding tech. CES 2016 will have a lot of hype on 4k BD Ready TVs. My problem is I don't want to wait that long.
post #21 of 26 Unread Today, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I questioned the R series being real many times. I got a lot of hate in the LCD area. I got bored and left the LCD area.

I've been terribly disappointed by how terrible the P series apparently is. It has all the hardware to be outstanding but apparently lacked 3-5 good display engineers to implement the firmware intelligently. Maybe when Sony lays them off next year?
That's an interesting "maybe". LOL. Regarding Vizio-R, I've been on record probably for as long as you have on this. I say this because I've been questioning this as soon as I saw the {cough,cough} "specs" from that non-CES CES showing last year.

And yeah, I regard Sony to be one of the most disappointing tragedies in this industry.

Last edited by tgm1024; Today at 07:50 AM.
post #22 of 26 Unread Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
What are the chances of seeing 40" 4k curved TVs in general and OLED in particular? - Guys, I am not crazy: they would make perfect computer monitors
post #23 of 26 Unread Today, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
That's an interesting "maybe". LOL. Regarding Vizio-R, I've been on record probably for as long as you have on this. I say this because I've been questioning this as soon as I saw the {cough,cough} "specs" from that non-CES CES showing last year.

And yeah, I regard Sony to be one of the most disappointing tragedies in this industry.
Why oh why doesn't Visio surprise the hell out of us with a much larger R series than 65"; (approximately 84" works great for me), and with 3D implemented. I'd buy one until large OLED's are in the next generation and don't cost a kidney. Caveat: IF LG could get the 77" OLED down to <$10K in 2015, I would probably move straight to that.
Bish
post #24 of 26 Unread Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjewel View Post
What's interesting about Philips is their apparent involvement in developing OLED lighting. Is the above the fruits of that R&D or are these LG-sourced panels?

OK, after reading the article, it appears to be from LG as one would more likely expect (this key quote was omitted above):

"At a recent Philips event, the company showcased an OLED TV prototype based on a panel from LG.Display, which is currently the only manufacturer of OLED TV panels. LG is also selling OLED TV panels to other Chinese manufacturers."

Which tells me it's a rebadge, but I'm glad they're moving forward. It's hard to find Philip TVs in NA anymore.
Philips sold the TV division a while back to chinese TP Vision, only the name remains. The Philips lighting division is still owned by Philips. It is one of the two remaining Philips divisions. The other one is Healthtech.
post #25 of 26 Unread Today, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Those Vizio P series which is universally lamented in the videophile arena, will in all likelyhood be the top selling T.V. for the 4Q14, there's is a huge disconnect in perceived quality and actual profits in the Consumer Electronics industry, it just doesn't seem to pay off for these companies to invest tons of money when they just can't recoup there cost, that's why Plasma is Dead, and OLED is sputtering, LCD is just an out of control Monster and as more manufacturing move to China/Taiwan and away from Japan/Korea, the beast will only get bigger Wal-mart, Sam's Club, Costco, Target, all of these frugal female oriented Retailers are overwhelming the quality oriented CE Retailers, I see no end, LG by itself cannot tame the beast(actually L.G. helped create the monsters since it's the largest seller/supplier of LCD TV's) the rhetoric from the quality oriented consumer may be louder, but the frugal shoppers are pushing Vizio rather quietly to the Penthouse Suite(at least here in America).
post #26 of 26 Unread Today, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 625
The thing about the P series, Nujacc, is that it doesn't have to be terrible. The hardware in it is mostly fine. It's just got lousy firmware. Let's hope the 2015 models are better.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General