AVS Forum banner

Spend $9000 now on 4k or wait on OLED?

Tags
oled uhd
3K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  sterlingjewel 
#1 ·
Hi i recently just built a Dream Machine PC with all the best parts and 2x GTX 980 in sli for 4k gaming and now i need the TV for it.

I am willing to spend up to $10,000 canadian on a TV but im not sure what to do? As 4k barley has no content for movies or streaming should i wait on a OLED 4K TV or get a top of the line 4k 75 inch? Or even get a cheaper 55 inch 4k or 55 inch oled too hold me over and wait for 4k OLED to become more mainstream or at the very least for the LG too come out?

#3 ·
Hi i recently just built a Dream Machine PC with all the best parts and 2x GTX 980 in sli for 4k gaming and now i need the TV for it.
I am willing to spend up to $10,000 canadian on a TV but im not sure what to do? As 4k barley has no content for movies or streaming should i wait on a OLED 4K TV or get a top of the line 4k 75 inch? Or even get a cheaper 55 inch 4k or 55 inch oled too hold me over and wait for 4k OLED to become more mainstream or at the very least for the LG too come
B4 considering 4K OLED vs. NOLED think that what you want to buy is a high-end superoversized computer monitor disguised as a TV. To save yourself nerves learn first about tons of potential problems with such arrangement, keywords: 4:4:4, input lag, motion blur, response time. Then wait 5 weeks for the CES to see what are the next year trends in TVs.

#4 · (Edited)
Since you obviously got the money, you could try for digital signage instead - basically TV panels designed for use as a monitor.

4:4:4, input lag, motion blur, response time
Here are some relavent links:

4:4:4 chroma (note that the thread's opening post hasn't been updated):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1640299#post1640299 (open image in MSpaint)

Input lag & response time:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Motion Blur:
http://www.blurbusters.com/
http://www.testufo.com/

#8 ·
You've set your budget, which doesn't appear to be creating any hardships, so I'd get the OLED. Life is short. Anything else you'll be settling for 2nd best.

I'm not sure what kind of a person you are, but for me to buy a display that I know is not as good as OLED, would really bug me...even as a 'stopgap' TV. I know that every time I'd see that OLED on display, I'd realize that I settled.

#9 ·
All my TVs (Plasma, LED and Projector) are hook up to PC, running WMC, HD Homerun Prime and TMT5. Never have a problem here.

Go check out the OLED in person and I am sure you will make up your mind right there.

My vote for you is to pre-order the 65" 4k OLED.

#10 ·
As a Trinitron CRT user, I love the OLED picture and contrast as much as the next guy, but you must be very careful about input lag since it is known that at least the 55EA9800 had a pretty sub-par time of 55ms as reported by DisplayLag.

Therefore, the last thing you want to do is preorder a display that could have deal-breaking input lag. Remember, the guy in question wants to use this for a lot of PC gaming (you wouldn't buy SLI 980s otherwise), so low input lag is a must

#12 ·
Indeed, I'm also considering a 4K OLED, but input lag could be the dealbreaker on LG's set. They do not have a good track record in this department, their LCD 4K sets are the worst offenders when it comes to input lag - UB9500 and UB9800 both measure 70+ms.

If we end up seeing similar lag times on the 4K OLED, I'm just going to settle for the 55" 1080p version, and wait a few years before moving to 4K.

#11 ·
I agree with you checking out the issues around 4:4:4 and 4k resolutions. Don't buy any TV that doesn't properly display 4:4:4 at the resolution you want if it will be a computer monitor. I had bought a 70" 4k Vizio thinking it would make a great computer monitor and it would have, except for these issues.

It did also have a mode where it could display a true 120hz refresh rate at 1080p using a computer, which was REALLY cool. Motion in Blu Rays was incredibly smooth without any soap opera effect, but ultimately the lack of 4:4:4 at 4k caused me to return it.

#18 ·
The thing is i watch more TV .mkv files and movies , and streaming on my 4k PC then i do games so with that said will the 4k oled LG act as a good monitor for future 4k mkv files and 4k and normal 1080p blurays in my pc's optical drive?
I also know nothing of input lag so will netflix or mkv files have lag or do movies and files not do that?

My pc is in my living room and is basicly my dvr and i rip my bluray movies to my home server so i dont need disks so before i buy the 4k oled i need to know these things.

#13 · (Edited)
#38 ·
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but is pc gaming possible on OLEDs? I'll buy this model ASAP if they are. I'm primarily a pc gamer, and, at first, was set on getting a Sony KDL-W850B until I came across this thread in NeoGAF. Like the OP, I'm not interested in pc monitors, so, I guess, this leaves OLED and projectors as the other two display technologies to look at. I don't care for 4k, and probably won't for the next 4-5 years.

#14 ·
A few months ago an owner measured around 32 ms input lag for the LG 55EC9300. The british avforums review measured 41 ms. No idea if 5 ms difference within the same model is normal or if it's up to how they're either using the top, middle or bottom of the screen to measure the input lag.
According to the site the LG UB9200 4K has still okayish 47 ms, while higher tier models LG UB9500 and UB9800 are at 73 ms. I fear that the 4K OLEDs might end up with the same high lag.

#20 · (Edited)

I am willing to spend up to $10,000 canadian on a TV but im not sure what to do? As 4k barley has no content for movies or streaming should i wait on a OLED 4K TV or get a top of the line 4k 75 inch? Or even get a cheaper 55 inch 4k or 55 inch oled too hold me over and wait for 4k OLED to become more mainstream or at the very least for the LG too come out?
With CAD 10,000, you can buy 5+ units of a 55-inch, UHD (4k) set, and still contribute CAD ~1,000 to a retirement fund.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/samsung-55-smart-uhd-tv-55hu7000fxzc/6000189688032

#25 ·
Exactly lol life is short , thats why i dont mind spending 10k on a tv. You see rich guys like warren buffet or other guys who are well off and they penny pinch their whole lives rather then enjoy life to the fullest then they die.
Whats the point of doing that? you cant take money too the after life lol. I personally always get the best of the best wether i can afford it or not. I never understood peoples logic who do that.
I will only spend 10k on something thats pheonominal and if that is gonna be a OLED rather then a great 4k then i will just wait for it.

Afew questions though. Will i put my desktop resolution at 4k on the LG? or will the details be too small looking for a windows 7 ui ?
Is there input lag on mkv files using whatever media player you use? Also what is upscalable on a 4k tv? Is a PS4 ?
Lastly will the LG oled make a good monitor or no?

I wish they made those awsome 1ms gaming monitors bigger or normal tvs made like that , especially with nvidias nsync but they are just too small and i dont have a computer room i could go too game in

Reactions: Dom Di Stroia
#27 ·
I bought a 79" 4K Sony 6 months ago to act as a filler until an 85" OLED is available at the prices that will come a couple of years after introduction. I did this with your philosophy of "live now". I know it'll be better later, but I'm alive now. However, that was 6 months ago. Being so close to CES and new introductions and markdowns on 2014 products (my local Magnolia reportedly sold their 4K 85" Sony demo for $8K) it would be very useful to wait a couple of months. For instance, Vizio is about to introduce their 65" R-series 4K LCD repordedly with a displayport input and 4:4:4 capability (I'll believe that when I see it); so a short wait might be very instructive.

#28 ·
That is why you get the 64F8500 Sammy plasma in the meantime.

Reactions: StinDaWg
#44 ·
why do people keep recomending the 64F8500 Sammy plasma ? If i got a filler tv to keep me good for 2 years until oled is more mature and more 4k oled models why would it be good to get a ancient technology like a plasma when i could get a decent new model 4k tv for 4 grand?

Is it that good of a tv? whats so good about it?

#33 ·
Here is my take on the situation. If you have that kind of money to throw around I would get the 65" 4K OLED. Money is only paper unless you spend it. Wait a few months and it should be easily in your price range of $10K Canadian. If you are of moderate means like most of us, you wait it out. Truth is 4K is to immature at this point. Not many sources and the true final standards have not been set. Many early adopters are going to be burned as it looks like Dolby is pushing hard to make their HDR and WCG Dolby Vision part of the 4K Blu-ray standard. While the extra resolution of 4K is nice on larger screens, the real impact will be some kind of HDR and WCG adoption. So with that in mine I would buy a hold over display like the F8500 or a decent low priced 4K to hold you over for a year or two.

#37 ·
Truth is 4K is to immature at this point. Not many sources and the true final standards have not been set. Many early adopters are going to be burned as it looks like Dolby is pushing hard to make their HDR and WCG Dolby Vision part of the 4K Blu-ray standard.
OP is looking to use this mainly for HTPC use and PC gaming, therefore these are not really issues (especially the PC gaming part).

#36 ·
In your situation, I would buy the biggest 4K OLED that LG releases that you can afford.

OLED seems to suffer from some input lag and possible IR issues, but I am only restating what I have read on forums, and have no first hand experience.

I will eventually do the same, but I am waiting for the next generation of video cards before I move to 4K. I currently have 2x GTX980s and while they are beasts, can not run all games at 4K with ultra settings.

#48 ·
I missed the part about gaming.

The high end Sony 4K LCDs and the Vizio R Series 4K LCDs would make good set for gaming until OLED settles down. However somebody has to buy expensive OLED sets to keep the market/development going forward and you seem to have plenty of disposable cash so maybe an OLED is the way to go in your case.

The Sammy Plasma has poor input lag numbers (dont know about the LG OLED sets).

Good Luck, wish I had your dosh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.