AVS Forum banner

LG 65EC9700 OLED Owners Thread

123K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  Fitero 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is for owners of the LG 65EC9700. Please share your impressions and attach photos.

The following pics were taken today (December 31, 2014).

The first two pics are from Life of Pi and other pic is from Gravity when she is spinning out into nothing. If you look very close you can see her in the picture. I took these with an iPhone 6 from about 5 feet away from the TV.

The picture on this TV is unbelievable!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Am I allowed to request impressions of input lag and 4:4:4 chroma support, or as a non-owner should I not post such questions and instead delete this post?
Does this picture from the manual answer your chroma question?
Apparently 4:4:4 chroma is possible with 8 bit, but only on the HDMI 3 port.

Attachments

#6 ·
the way this was supposed to work is the first member who gets this display in house starts the owners thread....

Reactions: oni222
#12 ·
#14 ·
Hey there, Beelinator.
Did you in the meantime find the sticker with the date of manufacture on the back of the TV? That is if you're near the TV right now.

Did you scan that manual page? You didn't need to since it can be downloaded from the product page.
Looking forward to further impressions of yours. :)

#15 ·
Input Lag

so I had some time today to check for the input lag at last

the good news: you can totally play games on this set!
I measured the input lag at about 40 to 50 ms in game mode with input set to PC.
(The comparison notebook was a Dell XPS, so you will have to add a few ms compared to the Leo Bodner test method.)

I took three or more pictures for every mode I tested and calculated the average:

• Standard / TruMotion Clear = 122 ms
  • Standard / TruMotion Off = 65 ms
  • Game / PC Input / Standard = 67 ms
  • Game / PC Input / Game = 50 ms

As a comparison, I measured the input lag of the Sony W905A with the same method at 16 ms, which is quoted with 20 ms (Leo Bodnar) at the HDTVtest input lag database.

The notebook had 720p as output resolution. When I hooked up my gaming pc and fed the TV with WQHD (2560x1440), I got very mixed results ranging from 16 ms to 67 ms. After 14 measurements I got an average of 41,5 ms.

I then used the TV as the only monitor with 4K resolution (4096x2160) from a GTX 980 with HDMI 2.0 and 60 frames, which worked pretty well for playing 4K videos (the TV also supports them directly when plugging in an external storage device, but not all formats). Some games had problems with this high resolution and displayed only the upper left part of the screen, but this is the game's fault I think.

When I switched down to 1080p, the games ran as they should - smoothly and without a lag that bothered me. The Talos Principle (screenshot 2) looked amazing, as did GTA 5 on the PS4 - I had no problem driving around in traffic, which is my personal indicator of too much lag :cool: And best of all, no visible banding / DSE in the sky like my Sony, hurray!

Attachments

#19 ·
Supported Resolutions

the Nvidia Control Panel lists the following resolutions when connecting the TV:

Ultra HD, HD, SD (max. 30 Hz)

• 4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160
  • 4k x 2k, 2560 x 1600
  • 4k x 2k, 2560 x 1440
  • 4k x 2k, 2048 x 1536
  • 4k x 2k, 1920 x 1440
  • 4k x 2k, 1920 x 1200
  • 1080p, 1920 x 1080
  • 1080i, 1920 x 1080
  • 1080i, 1768 x 992
  • 1080p, 1680 x 1050
  • 1080i, 1680 x 1050
  • 4k x 2k, 1600 x 1200
  • 1080p, 1600 x 1024
  • 1080i, 1600 x 1024
  • 1080i, 1600 x 900
  • 1080p, 1366 x 768
  • 1080i, 1366 x 768
  • 720p, 1280 x 720
  • 720p, 1176 x 664
  • 576p, 720 x 576
  • 480p, 720 x 480

PC (max. 60 Hz over HDMI 2.0)

• 4096 x 2160
  • 3840 x 2160
  • 1360 x 768
  • 1280 x 1024
  • 1280 x 960
  • 1280 x 800
  • 1280 x 768
  • 1152 x 864
  • 1024 x 768

#20 ·
Dark Edges

the dark edges jh87 mentioned can be seen on my set too

they only affect very dark (gray, nearly black) content and are not as bad in normal modes as in game mode.
see comparison screenshots - first one game mode, second one normal mode (first two PS4, second two PC)

seems to show mostly in uniformly colored areas. the last two screenshots, while also dark, show no signs at the edges.
game mode obviously disables some image processing to make it worse - if it only affects load screens, I can live with that. haven't seen traces of it in actual gameplay or "real world" movie content

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
@Beelinator :
Great stuff.
I said beforehand that I would welcome anything lower than 60 ms, since the LG 4K LEDs had ridiculously high input lag so far, so if this 4K OLED really has less than 50 ms, then it would be damn impressive.

they only affect very dark (gray, nearly black) content and are not as bad in normal modes as in game mode.
see comparison screenshots - first one game mode, second one normal mode (first two PS4, second two PC)
That 2nd completely black screenshot isn't the same as the first greyish one or is it?

seems to show mostly in uniformly colored areas. the last two screenshots, while also dark, show no signs at the edges.
game mode obviously disables some image processing to make it worse - if it only affects load screens, I can live with that. haven't seen traces of it in actual gameplay or "real world" movie content
Hm, still sounds worrying to me. But if you say that you don't see it in normal content...

Any info regarding the responsiveness of the webos menu compared to the EC9300? Any lag/long loading when browsing through the menus/settings?
e.g loading the settings right after turning on the TV and going from the smart menu? Takes damn long on the EC9300.

#36 ·
yes, it completely disappears once the light output at and above 20% gray scale level. so far I am planning to keep it.
I have found ways to reduce the overall green hue with the factory setting. I will post my setting if other owner notice the same thing. The darker edge shows up only occasionally at certain scenes, I think I can live with that.

#35 ·
Assuming that the display on the left isn't also an LG OLED, it would possibly be wise to use a completely CG image so as to eliminate any edge darkening caused by a camera.

I mention this because is it not possible that maybe the contrast isn't completely level in that there could be some crush of mid-tones towards the darker tones?

#41 ·
3D + Netflix 4K

3D in full 1080p with passive glasses is really something to look at on this device. the picture looked sharper than at the cinema, scenes from Gravity looked unbelievably real, brightness was more than enough (in my dark room), and even small details were displayed as colorful as they should be

but: you have to be exactly in the horizontal sweet spot, which is the exact center of the TV. a little above that and the lower part of the screen gets ghosting, a little below and the same goes for the upper part. vertical displacement on the other hand doesn't really change much

as I sit 2,2 meters away from my tv (about 7,2 feet) and the TV is situated a bit above (90 cm = 3 ft), I can't watch 3D from my couch, without losing the upper third of the picture to ghosting. I would have to sit on the backrest of the couch to be perfectly level with the center of the screen - but then the 3D is nearly perfect

maybe this limited field of 3D view gets better with more distance to the TV, but that would go against the concept of sitting close to it to get the details from 4K in 2D...

Netflix 4K Streaming works with the internal app. at least "ULTRA HD 4K" is shown on series like House of Cards. if this resolution is really streaming, I can't really say, as the app doesn't display information of the currently received data as do Netflix clients on other devices. the picture looks very good, but how much difference there is to the (already very good) 1080p picture, is hard to judge without comparing both side by side

Netflix 3D works very well too - with the general 3D restrictions described above.

As for TruMotion - I only tested the Clear setting a few times, but that mostly worked surprisingly without judder.

#53 ·
Netflix 4K Streaming works with the internal app. at least "ULTRA HD 4K" is shown on series like House of Cards. if this resolution is really streaming, I can't really say, as the app doesn't display information of the currently received data as do Netflix clients on other devices. the picture looks very good, but how much difference there is to the (already very good) 1080p picture, is hard to judge without comparing both side by side

Netflix 3D works very well too - with the general 3D restrictions described above.

As for TruMotion - I only tested the Clear setting a few times, but that mostly worked surprisingly without judder.

Give Marco Polo on Netflix a shot, the production quality is astounding. It should be available in 4k now.

It has some of the most beautiful cinematography I've seen on my 1080p OLED.

#110 · (Edited)
You guys tried some "Last of Us" or "Driveclub" (at night) on the PS4?
Yes, I drove Driveclub at night - the darker edges may be there, but once you are focused on driving, you don't notice them at all. One other thing I saw briefly was a single black(er) bar near the middle of the screen which showed up when turning. I'll have to observe this phenomenon further - was a bit distracting, but other than with this game (in PC input / game mode) I didn't see this example of near black non-uniformity anywhere.

On LGs 55" OLED hitting the 'INFO' button on the remote while playing Netflix show's the streaming resolution and audio. Try that.
Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't show any info on this TV. Maybe with a later update it will.

I only play games with PS4 and Xbox one and they go to the tv through my receiver. So I'll test switching mode as soon as I get the TV. Could you tell me if it is annoying to play in standard mode with an input lag of 65ms please?
It's still possible, even for racing games, but once you try the faster game mode, you don't want to go back to more lag ;) I prefer the lower and "faster" resolution.

EDIT: just tried Drive Club on PS4 with Game Console input name and Super Resolution set to Medium - perfectly playable and sharper picture, so I'll use that for console games

#48 ·
no denial ? thanks for the laugh!

is that why
when someone posts pics of poor colour uniformity you allege its because of an old , stylised photo /camera /lens issues/ isolated to a few faulty units / goes away when watching normal programming?

baloney

and i saw it with my own eyes

How hard can it be to admit LG TV's have sucked since time immemorial and they shouldn't be the company to bring us OLED

#49 · (Edited)
knock it off: and move on please

this is an owners thread: we don't want the same squabbling here

if this continues you may be banned from this thread

#51 ·
As I said in another thread, many B&W pictures are stylized. As I clearly said in the other thread, once the actual B&W picture was posted and I saw what it should have looked like, I acknowledged the owner's display had an issue.

But I tend not to condemn until presented with all the facts. Better to be objective and objectivity requires a compilation of facts, not just opinions. ;)

Let's return this thread to the owners. :)

#61 ·
As I said in another thread, many B&W pictures are stylized.
Not to mention not to many TV manufacturers are going to invest a ton of R & D on Black and White. It may be sad for some, but it sure is true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.