AVS Forum banner

Pricing for new LG OLEDs revealed

Tags
oled
122K views 2K replies 194 participants last post by  kucharsk 
#1 ·
Figured I'd post this here since I haven't seen anyone mention it yet :)

These prices are for the nordic market, I assume US pricing will be lower.
SEK is Swedish kroner, DKK is Danish kroner.

55” flat EF9500 - 37.999 SEK, 30.000 DKK (about $4800 USD)
65” flat EF9500 - 64.999 SEK, 51.500 DKK (about $8200 USD)
55” curved EG9600 - 39.999 SEK, 31.675 DKK (about $5000 USD)
65” curved EG9600 - 69.999 SEK, 55.500 DKK (about $8900 USD)
77” flexible OLED - 399.999 SEK, 317.000 DKK (about $50000 USD)

These prices were supplied a danish website by LGs nordic representative. I found them at flatpanelsDOTdk. (replace the DOT with a .)

#8 ·
...and around $6k for the flat 65". I can live with that :)

#5 ·
I know the Kroner/Dollar interchange can be ridiculous from being there but these prices are insane. They better be much lower in the US or LG can forget it. $5,000 for a 55" TV? I'll pass. I hope this is BS I really do. Even with the VAT, it is still too much.

#298 · (Edited)
These numbers i believe came out of LG's Swedish headquarters for Scandinavia. I don't really think they are as in the know as they would like to think so I honestly suspect this was just a guess from a rep looking at the launch price of the formers and trying to make a safe bet.

If they are true then it might as well close the new oled factory all together.

Sure I want one but there is no way I would pay more than 25k nok with VAT for a flat 65" and that is an absolute Max.

smaller than 65" is no point in ditching my 50" plasma, curved screen is also "no sale" criteria. In fact I would honestly be willing to pay a premium for flat rather than curved :p

#15 ·
The real news here is that LG is trying to kill off curved without officially killing off curved.

Obviously, sales figures at anything near those prices will be microscopic.

#17 ·
With a $700 disparity on the 65" between flat & curved, I'm not so sure that's their motivation. Believe it or not, I still hear people at BB saying how 'cool' the Samsung curved TVs are, and there a lot more curved than the LGs. Some might actually pay that premium for the curved.

#113 ·
OLED will never ever be priced for the masses. The masses have their wonderful cake and many here too because of their economic status, cheap fecal edge lit LCDs. Mmmm Vizio. 80 inches for $1299 or whatever. And bitching because its not $699. The masses will never own a Porsche either. Bad analogy because the lower end cars have all the performance needed for the programming-our roads and laws. Blacks? To the masses edge lit LCD performance is fornicating great. As long as its big. The only want to consumers has been created by marketing. Increased resolution and curves their wives and girlfriends generally don't have.and that is easy to supply. Edge lit LCD 4K is only a tad more expensive to produce than edge lit LCD 2K. Curves will go away and be replaced by thin -- again something their wives and girlfriends are generally not.

If you want blacks, shell it out for a OLED, a lot cheaper than a 50 inch plasma say 10 years ago. If you can't afford it but you want it, I feel for you. Being retired I can't afford one either. But I will live. I will struggle with my Sony VPL-VW1100ES and black pit theater.

#26 ·
I know LG needs the average person to purchase them to keep making them, but I'm also OK if they remain a niche high end product; people pay over $1000 for Oppo Blu-ray players when they can get one for $59 at Best Buy because they provide them with the functionality/enhanced performance they desire.

Yes, I know, no manufacturer has made a go of niche displays before, but we'll see how more production eventually lowers prices.

In the mean time I'd be happy to give LG my money, and if I can get mine before they decide to abandon OLED, I'm fine with that, too. :D

#173 ·
Yes, I know, no manufacturer has made a go of niche displays before,

EXACTLY!!!

so why is this any different?...past history has to be a pretty good indicator of future performance. Especially for a product market that has gotten so saturated and commoditized

they have to be smoking something to think they are even going to get the top 1% of the top 1% of TV buyers at anywhere near those prices

will it be pretty , amazing and offer bragging rights for the few?...sure

will it sell in any volume?...doubtful

Warren

#30 ·
The US converted prices include 25% VAT. For me sales tax is more like 8%, thus these prices should be adjusted downwards by approximately 17%. This would put the flat 65" at around $6,800 in IL if this happens to be close to the US pricing. Not a bad start at all. While WebOS 2.0 might be super duper amazing, the interface on my EC9300 is perfectly fine. Thank you very much LG for giving us the option, I for one really appreciate it.

#33 ·
That's some good perspective overall. I'm going to continue to focus on the price side, though.

I think that if you can walk out the door for $6800, with tax, the sales will remain really small. But it's noteworthy that it only takes two whacks of about 30% to get the price where I believe it needs to be to start seeing volumes at truly interesting levels. For simplicity's sake, I'll call the pricing thus:

Intro: $6500 (pre-tax)
First cut: $4500 (Now you're at the top end of the market that really exists, where Samsung/Sony are)
Second cut: $3000 (Now you've mainstreamed the technology)

I can absolutely see LG trying to pull off $3500 as the "second cut". I don't see that achieving the volume numbers they are hoping for, but I can see them trying. Assuming they are planning all this already -- which I believe is likely -- it seems probable that the first cut will be timed to deliver sales after the early adopters pay the extra $2000 or so. It's not about gouging those people, it's that they can't make all that many yet, the early adopters are willing to pay, so they might as well take your money. (Sorry, early adopters, you know the deal, and you're willing).

Assuming they don't botch this whole thing, we should see the first move in late 2015. It might only be to $4999 (which would be a shame, but such is life), but it ought to be to $4499 from $6499.

The second move will be middle 2016 or so.

If nothing has gone terribly wrong, LG should move on plans to expand production / announce an "M3" facility 12-18 months from now, with capacity increases to come online as soon as early 2017, but likely middle 2017.

By then, we should see $1500/$3000/$5000 pricing and a target production level of something around 4-5M.

This is a giant number of ifs extrapolated from a guesstimated U.S. price. But hey, it's a Friday.

#39 ·
Maybe they did not show the 77" Flat model........for some reason hometheaterhifi.com was reporting a 77" flat model........I hope it is true and not a mistake. If my 65ST60 were to die, then I would look at a 65" OLED if that was the biggest flat OLED otherwise I will wait for a bigger size and hopefully much better pricing.

#56 ·
If the 65" flat goes below $4k well.. my parents might be getting an upgrade to a 4k LCD ;)
It's not a question of 'if', but 'when'

Before the end of 2016, it's almost a certainty (assuming LGs OLED TV initiative lasts that long;)).

By late 2015, harder to say, partly because it depends so much on how the overall pricing environment evolves this year for premium 65" TVs - I'd give it 50/50.

#46 ·
If the 65 inch costs more than 6k-7k$, they will struggle to sell them. People will look at other options.
What other options?

LCD's picture quality isn't even close, plasma is dead and you'd need to spend at least $7K on a front projector, then add a screen and bulb replacement every few months, assuming five to six hours of usage per day.

Lower prices are good but I wouldn't expect to see a 65" below $7K until 2016 at the earliest, the year where LG expects OLED sales to take off.

#47 ·
At $3,500 or darn close to it, I would be interested in the 65" flat OLED. I paid $3,500 plus shipping when I bought my 141 directly from Pioneer in early 2009 after CES. I would be willing to pay $5,000 or so for a flat 77" OLED. Not much more. I can wait till 2016 or 2017. By them, all of the 4K, HDR and blu-ray stuff will be sorted out. Of course, we may be off to 8K by then.

#51 ·
^ I think kucharsk is speaking about the preferences of videophiles. Most videophiles are not high on LCDs whether they're FALD or not. Most FALD displays that are currently available have PQ issues that make it an unlikely purchase for a videophile.

However for the rest of the buying public, yes, I'm sure the overwhelming majority would be quite happy with what's available today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.