• 1 Post By 8mile13
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
post #1 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What type of TV do you own?

Do you own a CRT TV or a Plasma TV or an LED TV or an OLED TV?

Does anyone know what type of TV most people own? I've been looking for sales statistics or surveys, but I can't find anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker View Post
Do you own a CRT TV or a Plasma TV or an LED TV or an OLED TV?

Does anyone know what type of TV most people own? I've been looking for sales statistics or surveys, but I can't find anything.
I believe there is no question that the most common TV type owned by the General public is LCD.

If you are asking about AVS Forum members, that is another question entirely (to which I would have no clue as to hazard a guess... ).
post #3 of 16 Unread 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There's no such thing as an "LED TV".
ChaosCloud likes this.
post #4 of 16 Unread 02-24-2015, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I believe there is no question that the most common TV type owned by the General public is LCD.
Clearly, there is a question, since I asked it. How do you know that LCDs are the most common TV type owned by the general public?
post #5 of 16 Unread 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Ten months ago Scott Wilkinson started a poll in the "Community News & Polls" forum called "What Is Your Main Video Display?" (You can click on the thread title and it should take you to the thread with the poll, and there is a spot on that page to click on to display the results without voting.) Keep in mind that the poll is a self-selecting group, namely, those who have logons to AVSFORUM, and AVSFORUM tends to attract those who are more particular to the picture quality or sound quality, or both, so people here would tend to spend more money to get a better quality setup, whereas the US population at large seem to not be so particular about picture quality but are particular about costs. In other words, I would expect the American public in general to buy and own a higher percentage of LCD TVs (of various backlight or edgelight technologies) and lower percentage of plasmas, projectors, or rear projection TVs than the numbers we see for AVSFORUM members.

What the poll doesn't show is that many homes have two or more TVs. The 2012 numbers indicate 97.1% of the US households have at least one TV, and of the TV households, 84.4% of them have a second TV. (Contrast that to 1950 when only 1% of TV households had a second TV.) There are more interesting numbers here: TV Basics: A Report on the Growth and Scope of Television (PDF).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #6 of 16 Unread 02-24-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
There's no such thing as an "LED TV".
So what would my LG 55LE8500 Full Array backlit LED be then?
post #7 of 16 Unread 02-24-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
An LED/LCD (and FALD to boot :-)
post #8 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Clearly, there is a question, since I asked it. How do you know that LCDs are the most common TV type owned by the general public?

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde..._disappear.asp
fafrd likes this.
post #9 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 08:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
That is an LCD TV, because it has a Liquid Crystal Display panel.

The method they use to light that panel varies but does not change the fact that it's still an LCD TV. It could be lit by Backlit CFL, Edge-Lit LED, or Full Array Backlit LED, but all of these are still technically LCD TVs due to the LCD panel.

Samsung started the whole "LED TV" description to fool the buying public into thinking that it's better than an "LCD TV", which usually isn't the case what with all the issues that Edge-Lit technology brings.
paranoyd androyd likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 08:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
But your question is too vague to answer accurately.

People typically OWN multiple TVs, some of which could still be old tube TVs from 10-20 years ago as well as old or new small LCD TVs in secondary rooms, along with their large primary display in the family room/living room/den which could be either Plasma or LCD. I still own five tube TVs, but they're all boxed up and stashed away in the garage and the attic for the past 10 years. We also own 6 LCD TVs and 5 Plasmas, some of which are also stored away or in secondary rooms.

Over the last 8 years, the vast majority of TVs sold in the USA surely are LCD TVs and by a huge margin, mostly because they're available in the smaller screen sizes (13" through 40" range) as well as being available larger than 65 inches, while the Plasmas were only made between 42" and 65", but also because LCDs simply were being marketed much better than Plasma TVs ever were and looked much brighter in the stores. This is pretty much indisputable.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
post #11 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

If you are asking about AVS Forum members, that is another question entirely (to which I would have no clue as to hazard a guess... ).
I think LCD wins (in number of presences) also when it comes down to AVS members. Like it or not, price is a huge factor.
post #12 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
An LCD, as it still utilizes a Liquid Crystal Display.

Did people use to say that they owned a "CCFL TV" before LEDs were used in different backlight arrangements?

Unfortunately, these kind of loose marketing terms have enabled LCD to survive for as long as it has.
post #13 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I have a 60" Panasonic plasma that I'm very happy with, for now, and a 50" 4K LED Samsung for my wife. My next set will be a Samsung 4K LED HDR model with a 12 bit panel and 1200 nits max brightness, which I will have to buy for my Sony HDR UHD blu-ray player.

Greg Lee
post #14 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
That graph shows CRT TVs selling better than Plasmas until 2013. How is that possible?
post #15 of 16 Unread Today, 07:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
That graph shows CRT TVs selling better than Plasmas until 2013. How is that possible?
That chart has to be representing GLOBAL TV sales, because it doesn't reflect the North American market. The last Tube TVs sold here were around 2006 and were no longer on store shelves soon after that.

Cheap CRT TVs were still big sellers in poorer and/or under-developed heavily populated countries as well as the far east and Asia for the past several years (well after they disappeared from America), but the few remaining TV Tube manufacturers were scaling back production a few years ago and may have even stopped making Tubes completely by now. RCA closed it's USA TV Picture Tube plants about 10 years ago, but there were still some Tube plants in Asia and Eastern Europe, and i think Mexico too.

Randy
post #16 of 16 Unread Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Since most countries are poor it takes longer for them to replace CRT by Flat Panel displays.

the global installed base of flat panel TVs will overtake that of CRT displays in 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page