Tags
55eg9600
558K views 6K replies 520 participants last post by  ers620 
#1 ·
#1,170 ·
#1,171 ·
Reactions: shyguy3763
#1,175 · (Edited)
You are totally misunderstanding 420 vs 444, dude. Look it up, 420 is exactly half the frame size as 444 at the same bit depth.

You can count it for yourself.

444 YCbCr is equivalent in resolution to RGB, right? And uses the same frame size, right? Meaning Y = 8 bits, Cb = 8 bits, Cr = 8 bits, same exact frame size as RGB 8-bits per channel.

For 1080p resolution:

422 uses full Luma res, which is 1080p, but half chroma (810x1080). Since there are two chroma channels, Cb and Cr, the size of each of those is reduced by half, since the resolution is halved. What does that give us in terms of savings? 2/3rds. 1 = Luma, + 1/2 + 1/2 = 2. RGB = 3

420 uses full Luma (1080), and 1/4 for each chroma (so, 810x540).

what's 1 + 1/4 + 1/4 ? 1.5

What's 1.5 / 3?

50%

If your frame size is reduced by half, you can fit twice as many in the same pipe per second. This is fairly straightforward. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Anything that can do 444 at a given resolution and refresh rate, should be able to do 420 at double the refresh rate, if the panel can be refreshed that fast. In terms of bandwidth.

Imagine you have 3 really fat kids that barely fit into the back seat of your SUV. How many small kids, 1/2 the size of the fat ones, can you fit in the same back seat? The answer is.....? SIX. That's double. Same thing.

"It's not correct to say that 4K / 120 using 420 is exactly half the bandwidth as 444. It's 1/4 the colour info but the detail res is the same."

I didn't say that. I said that 4K / 120 at 420 is the SAME as 4K / 60 / 444 (8 bits per channel) in terms of bandwidth. That was my whole point. You could easily refresh a 120hz panel with a 120fps input at UHD if you're content with sticking to 8 bits per channel, and using 420 instead of 444.

UHD / 60 / 444 requires 18 gbps HDMI 2.0 ports. UHD / 60 / 420 can be sent over HDMI 1.4, which maxes out at 10gbps or so. Therefore, UHD / 120 / 420 can be sent over the same 18gbps input ports as UHD / 60 / 444 signals.

This is a fact. NVidia did exactly that to get their older cards to be able to play games at UHD 60 because they don't have the new 19gbps ports. Because 420 is half the size as 444, they were able to increase from UHD / 30 / 444 to UHD / 60 / 420 with a simple driver update.

#1,185 ·
Yeah, you're right. I was having a bad day, clearly.

On the HDMI 1.4 and p60 though, you can't do that unless the HDMI has been upgraded to v2.0 (I think the term used was v2.0 level 2). 4k p60 is a v2.0 feature, 1.4 won't recognise anything over p30.

Still not sure you can get p120/4:2:0 over v2.0 though. v1.4/2.0 lv2 is 10.2Gig, v2.0 is 18, not twice as much. I believe p60 maxed out the old chips.

#1,178 ·
Newer video processors have a feature to try and fill-in some of the lost chroma detail in a 4:2:0 signal better than the TV seems to do, but honestly I don't notice this problem in the fist place at the resolution we're talking about. At 4K luminance resolution, unless you're doing some very fine detail work or sitting inches from the screen it's pretty hard to tell that chroma's not at the same resolution. The human eye/brain are very primitive and much more sensitive to luminance. Still, we do have better color vision than a lot of animals, and I'm thankful for that ;)

Incidentally, this TV has some interesting quirks regarding chroma subsampling at 4K resolution.

YCbCr444 does not happen at all on this TV when fed a 4K YCbCr signal unless you enable the Ultra HD Deep Color option (meaning this is only possible on HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, not HDMI 3) and label the video input PC (give it the PC icon).
If you only enable Ultra HD Deep Color, the TV will process a 4:4:4 signal as 4:2:2. If you do neither of these things, or use HDMI 3 the TV does 4:2:0.

#1,183 · (Edited)
HDR Firmware Makes OLED - The Killer

Original OP Topic no longer makes sense after this week when FlatpanelsHD announced a 1mm thin 99" unit later this year and that 2015 4K OLED's will be updated to HDR capable via Firmware later this year after the standards have been finalised.

After all, FlatpanelsHD noted the HDR they witnessed earlier this year was the Best they'd seen. So, doesn't this turn the Topic of this thread convert the OLED from Killed to KILLER!:D

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1432198166

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1432036536

Now, may we pause for the arrival of the 18Gig and HDMI 2.0a . . . Obsessed to muddy another 2015 thread. ;)

#1,186 ·
Same the HDR update only for streeming content.

Another issue, though, is that the update doesn’t look as if it will include the ability to play HDR via HDMI, thereby preventing you from playing HDR via upcoming UHD Blu-ray players.

So thats a downer for this tv.

#1,187 ·
Just asking this questions again- does any current owner still have issues with the black banding on the left and right edges? I never do this but when I purchased the 65EG9600 I also purchased the 2 year protection plan. I've started this process with BB and the technicians will be at my house tomorrow to look over the OLED banding problem. I've been told they'll try to "fix" it on the spot and if they can't they'll move to the next step either sending it out for repair or swapping the TV out for a new one. Apparently they'll coordinate with LG on resolving the problem.

Anyone, anyone???

#1,189 ·
Yes I talked to LG about are issue, also with the service technician over the phone.

It seems now that the banding issue is caused by how the TV is held in the box, by straps or whatever when shipped.
However take this with a grain of salt. I was also told the mother board would fix the black bands but that seems unlikely.

Please let us know what happens when the technician comes.

I am having my EG9600 swapped tomorrow by BB geek squad. This is the first TV I have ever swapped.

ss

#1,194 ·
Did you guys notice if higher oled light made the darker sides less noticeable?

With 55ec9300, I experimented with 2 pt calibration with oled 50 contrast 70 versus oled 35 contrast 80. The higher oled light did help make the issue less noticeable. It does not eliminate it. My theory has always been lack of uniform power to the entire panel. We been complaining about the glow in the middle but really it is the lack of glow on the sides.

#1,204 ·
BB premium service agents are on their way over to check out the black edge banding issue. I'm trying to find more sources to show them as examples. Can anyone direct me to a website that would have full screen images showing different black near black and dark gray images to represent the banding problem?

#1,210 ·
Not good news guys. After about an hour on the phone direct with LG, the BB premium service technician concluded that the darkening edge problem on these OLED TVs is a problem inherent with the TV and likely not addressable. The LG representative was able to observe the same problem on their demo TV. There was really no the next step or potential resolution offered, other than to have me now call customer service, more than likely just trying to appease me in the situation. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'm still in the exchange window and may try a new set. But of course my fear is is that it will still be there or even worse. The BB premium service technician wasn't that hopeful that a future software update could fix the problem either. He seem to know what he was talking about, said he had 16 years doing this, and that these type of issues aren't normally resolvable with software updates. Bummed! What to do now???

#1,219 ·
After reading all the issues in this thread, I'm thankful I cannot see any of these with my present settings. The dark edges have disappeared and odd black and grey splotches have disappeared as well. Only saw banding with still pictures.
I must have got lucky when I bought my EC0700.

Reactions: mwdcd
#1,235 ·
Lg vip club just called me back about the dark edges on my tv. They want to come out and replace the main board and put a different power supply in. They want to do it next week. Im concerned that if the dark edges go away over time will i really need the fix? Whats going to happen after a couple thousand hours? Will the edges be lighter than the center?!?! I asked these questions to the LG rep and they did not know. All they would say was that their technical department said this is what the TV needs to correct the problem. I have the appointment scheduled but Im still not sure if I should do it.

#1,238 ·
Finally got to see this set at BB here in the Denver area. The purple reflections (as noted for the 55 inch) are a non starter for me. Very disappointed. I assume all you owners have very light controlled areas. I have windows behind me so this set is unwatchable for me. So the set designers don't realize what the purple cast and reflections do?

#1,257 ·
Unfortunately, that is correct. These OLEDs are unwatchable during daylight hours in any room with windows behind the viewer (without investing in light control).

We watched 'Gone Girl' last night and even the reflections at 8:30pm on an overcast evening destroyed the image. An hour later once it was night, the image was stunning (as usual ;)), but these OLEDs really only deliver their best bang for the buck in a dark (or light-controlled) room.

#1,243 ·
Doesn't it upset you guys that LG relased an obviously flawed product?

#1,258 ·
Parts ordered through BB premium service agent by talking with LG. Apparently he had a hard time with various LG representatives about the issue because it's so new. But in the end the main board and power supply are on their way and he is scheduled to come do the repair on Friday. We shall see!

Oh and I agree with what has been set on here before even with this issue it is still by far the best TV I've ever seen! This will only make it better.

#1,273 ·
@Kaldaien

Have you tried to set your I1Pro Spectral range to 5nm from 10mn?
I think you can do that with Calman.

Don't know how well 5nm will work on the I1pro, but you may want to try.
Also you may want to back up your I1pro for a better FOV readings.

ss

#1,278 ·
Sound Bar cutting out on Amazon Video

Problem came up and wondering if others have a seen a similar issue indicating an Amazon issue vice my TV/sound bar:

When streaming Amazon video (dolby 5.1), the audio cuts out for approx. 1 sec and then comes back. Appears random, but usually every 5 min or so. Problem only appears when streaming Amazon video using my LG sound bar connected via HDMI ARC port. Cutting out does not occur with Netflix or when signal source is my Comcast cable. Cutting out does not occur using TV's internal speakers or when sending audio to my Bose amp via optical connection or if my LG sound bar connection is via Bluetooth. I have my LG configured in the sound menu for digital sound set to auto. If I set it to PCM, the problem does not occur.

Wondering if unique to me or if I have a problem with my LG OLED or LG sound bar-as both under BB warranty. Or is the problem an Amazon audio signal issue or Amazon app issue. Problem just started approx 2 weeks ago. Since problem only occurs with Amazon, is it safe to assume this is an Amazon issue and not hardware, but if this is the case are other forum members also having the problem? I did swap out the HDMI cable with no change to the symptoms

#1,279 ·
Question: Do these models have a 4K picture viewing option available a la Sony XBR 4K models?? Not that it's super relevant, but it would be a welcome addition if it had that capability.

Thanks in advance.

#1,330 ·
Anyone?! Nothing in the manual about it...

#1,280 ·
My 65eg9600 came in today to replace my 65ec9700. Netflix is acting up on this model that it did not do on the ec9700. To be more precise while watching content the play/progress bottom popup menu bar keeps popping up for a second then goes away.

It happens every 5 minutes or so and it gets very annoying. I have tried googling for this issue but I did not get any hits (not surprised since most people don't even know that the 65eg9600 exists).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.