AVS Forum banner

Samsung - no plans to re-enter the OLED TV market in the near future

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Turrican4D 
#1 ·
"In displays, Lee Chang-hoon, an executive at Samsung Display, said it is considering investing in 10th-generation liquid crystal display (LCD) lines as Samsung is pushing for the sale of ultra high-definition (UHD) TVS with large-sized screens.

Lee confirmed that Samsung has no imminent plans to produce OLED TVs as the company still believes OLED TVs are pricey. "OLED TVs are not in sight for the time being."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/04/133_177989.html

#4 ·
It's too bad too. I really want to see a flat 4K S9C (S9F?)

Actually, my drop-dead favorite would likely be a SOLED display. At least, it's what I'd love to test drive. No subs at all sounds really really intriguing, and it's what DLP folks have had for quite some time. Of course most of them have had to deal with diamond pixels too, but that's another story.

SOLED is based upon TOLED and is a stacked OLED design where each layer (RGB) is independently driven. Before anyone chimes in: This is not in any way akin to the stacked design of LGD's "white"+filter OLED.

#6 ·
As I see it the only way they could have released an OLED in the near term would be to OEM panels from their arch rival LG Display. It seems they aren't going to do that despite some reports we've seen. So it looks like they are going to wait until their own panel production is ready which may well be using Kateeva's printing solution. Kateeva have already told us not to expect any TVs using their system until maybe 2017.

#7 ·
Right, Rich, and mass production is probably a "not before 2018" kind of thing given that...

Still, I agree with everyone who believes more competition would be good for the market in general. The lack of it actually hurts LG.

#8 ·
People have been buying inferior TV sets of the LCD variety for a decade now. Why would Samsung need to change when you have so many clueless consumers making poor decisions? Not to mention that as a Korean company, they're rather good at reverse engineering (aka copying others hard work). They likely think it's too early to spend money on the tech. Better to have LG spend the time figuring it out and then copying their work then to engineer things on their own.

#14 ·
From previous posts on this topic, there's very little profit margin on LCD TVs. The technology is mature and costs have been reduced to as low as possible. Plus, there's a lot of competition. In theory, OLED panels can be manufactured for a much lower cost than LCD panels and there's not as much competition,

LG owns the patent for their technology. It's not likely Samsung could just copy it and get away with it. Instead they would likely come to a monetary agreement with LG. Either buying their panels or making their own using LGs technology.

#9 ·
I work for a retailer in New Zealand. We just had the Panasonic product launch tonight and the head TV honcho mentioned OLED. Looks like Panasonic are going to be buying panels from lg.
Interesting development, if it's accurate or not is another thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I work for a retailer in New Zealand. We just had the Panasonic product launch tonight and the head TV honcho mentioned OLED. Looks like Panasonic are going to be buying panels from lg.
Interesting development, if it's accurate or not is another thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they plan to sell 4k oleds end of the year 2015. This sure will be very interesting.

Everything is possible...

:)

#12 ·
If Panasonic came out with a flat 65", the market for the LG flat 65" would certainly be endangered.

If it's curved, then not so much.

What I have read it is 4k curved. :-/

Anyway, if it ships 2015, it will be a popcorn party here on AVS, LG vs Panasonic Oled.

#15 · (Edited)
The Panel is just one part of the story..

The Picture processing, Motion handling, how the ABL behaves, how the ABL works with gamma, how to drive low shadow detail, Up scaling, Sharpness (DNR), there is so much more then just the panel.

But it seems as I could make the popcorn already...

#19 ·
I agree about other manufacturers jumping in, but do you own a samsung oled? I see you keep posting all over the forums how much better the Samsung oled is. What mess are you speaking off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.