Help with getting a new TV - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-22-2015, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with getting a new TV

Hey all,

I am new to the forums and am seeking help in choosing what TV I should get. More specifically, what technology and what is a good buy? I had glanced around the forums looking at threads and saw this TV got good praise in one of them:

LG 55EC9300 55" (can't post links yet due to post count).

But it isn't even 4k (and I don't even think the newest model of that line either), while you can get some 55" 4k for much cheaper. Now I know there isn't a lot of 4K stuff right now (most I am aware of really is Netflix), but if that is going to be the next standard up, then it seems like it would be wise to jump ahead and get a 4K. Of course, prices of 4Ks will be dropping as the tech becomes more and more common place. So is it even worth buying a 1080P TV right now? Especially one at such a high price?

What about LCD vs Plasma vs OLED vs LED? From my understanding, plasma is still suffering from its reputation 10 years ago and will be phased out (is already being phased out), but there are still some really good TVs out there (among the best, if not the best)? OLED is the newest tech (afaik), but does that make it the best?

This TV will be used in the living room for games (XB1/WiiU), TV shows (cable/Netflix/HBO GO), and sports. I thought 55" would be a good size as my living room is more long than wide (meaning the couch and TV will be across from each other the shorter way). $2500 would probably be my cap, but I would obviously like to maximize my "amount of TV for the money" while being good quality.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-22-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Like most things AV, buy the best you can afford. With a 2500 cap a 4K OLED will be out at the moment best bet from word around is going to be a Samsung 55JS9000F which can be had for <2000. It is an edge-lit LED LCD Panel so the inherent limitations of that technology. It will have HDMI2.0a with HDCP2.2 ports so it will be future-proofed for UltraHD 4K BluRay and HDR.

Plasmas are officially done and there are no 4K displays.

OLED is the future, it offers the darkest blacks and the best contrast. A lot are saying it's the best picture quality available today, period. There are still some reservations and issues being worked and it is still expensive. Also HDR is still in question for the current crop of OLED TVs, the LG EG9600 series, but there is talks that it will be updated via firmware. So far they are HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2 though and HDR may be just another gimmick.

I would opt for a 4K if I was buying a TV today, which I am.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 143
You will not want to buy a 8bit UHD TV today, only to find that by next year, people here are praising virtues of HDR on UHD BDs and Netflix HDR, so by that notion, most UHD TVs today aren't really far from the 1080p OLEDs/plasmas when it comes to technical obsolescence. I originally planned to purchase the LG EC9300 instead of Panasonic PB2U plasma, but I figured for 8bit legacy contents, sticking with a plasma is a wiser choice. For movies, size trumps contrast ratio IMO (as long as it's not too poor, like LCDs), so a 65 inches plasma will be better suited for movies than a 55 inches OLED.

And no. Of all the display technologies I've used (CRT,LCD,plasmas), plasmas were the most trouble-free. I abused all my plasmas (LG, Samsung, Panasonic) with straight 100 hours of 4:3 gaming and not even a single pixel burn-in has developed. For longetivity, my abused for 3000 hours Panasonic plasma still looks as good as new while used only for under 1000 hours 3 Dell IPS monitors all developed severe yellowing uniformity issues.

Last edited by KOF; 06-22-2015 at 04:37 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't get any burn in problems with OLED at all.

In contrast, my macbook retina pro gets image retention problems and thats an LCD and considered one of the best computer displays made =/
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
Hey all,

I am new to the forums and am seeking help in choosing what TV I should get. More specifically, what technology and what is a good buy? I had glanced around the forums looking at threads and saw this TV got good praise in one of them:
Thanks for any help you can give me!
The best buy is still plasma. Just fine a used model. Maybe someone who is ill informed and is buying an 4K LED instead of just keeping their plasma. OLED technology is great, but it's not there yet in terms of production costs or maturity of the technology or screen size. Give it 2 years and it should be in a much better place.
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
The best buy is still plasma. Just fine a used model. Maybe someone who is ill informed and is buying an 4K LED instead of just keeping their plasma. OLED technology is great, but it's not there yet in terms of production costs or maturity of the technology or screen size. Give it 2 years and it should be in a much better place.
Should clarify, the BEST 1080p TV you can get is a top of the line used plasma. The best "new" 1080p tv you can get is OLED, since it has perfect black levels.

The best 4k display you can get is OLED, plasma is not available for 4k.

OLED/PLasma at 1080p will look more detailed than 4k LCD

1080P is best for video gaming, so I would go with Plasma or OLED.
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.

I can get the Samsung PNXXF8500 51" for $1372 out the door, brand new? Should I do it? By far cheapest price I'm seeing anywhere.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 07:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I can get the Samsung PNXXF8500 51" for $1372 out the door, brand new? Should I do it? By far cheapest price I'm seeing anywhere.
That's one of the best TVs ever made (picture quality wise). It has better PQ than any LCD TV, and is way cheaper than any OLED TV. I'd jump on it.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
That's one of the best TVs ever made (picture quality wise). It has better PQ than any LCD TV, and is way cheaper than any OLED TV. I'd jump on it.

Thanks. Yeah, I went ahead and got it. Most places I am seeing want $2500 for it brand new and used seems to be running around $1600-1800. I got it for $1372 after tax with free delivery and 0%, 12-month financing. So it really seems like a no-lose situation. I can always return it if I don't like it, but I have really only read/heard nothing but good things about it.

I couldn't believe it. I went on the Samsung website, where they have it listed at $2700, and did the search for a retailer. It said Best Buy had some and so I went in to BB and asked them about it and if they could look it up country wide. They found one and told me $1259 (pre-tax) and I was like what?! They showed me a bit how it works in their actual system- some TVs are able to be marked down and some are not (dictated by the manufacturer; Samsung in this case). So Samsung actually has the price of the TV at $1900 in BB's system, but allows BB to sell it for $1259 and then Samsung will actually give BB the difference in price (so $641 or so, in this case). However, the $1259 is firm (not able to be marked down), so BB could not drop the price lower, even if they wanted to (similar to how mattresses are sold, I guess).

It's also interesting because even brand-new TVs are able to be marked down while others are not. I'd guess it depends how top-of-the-line it is, how easy they are able to be sold, the tech, etc.

So if anybody else is interested, go to BB and check it out. I don't know how many they have left. I am very happy with my decision and that I decided to do some digging to see what I could get. I also got free delivery and asked them if I could get 25% off a stand, which they gave me.

Now to figure out my audio setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General