2015 Value Electronics Flat-Panel Shootout Results - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1585Likes

post #1561 of 1566 Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mo, I'd be curious as to what content you saw on your friend's 940c that showed uniformity issues. Uniformity on mine is as good as I've seen on a large screen TV, including the plasmas I've owned. It's bested only by some smaller screen TVs I've owned where perfect, or near perfect, uniformity is easier to achieve.
Ken, apologies for the late response. I must have missed this while I was out of state visiting. I was surprised to run into this TV in the wild, the husband of a friend of my wife's had one in his man cave. The content I got to watch on it for a little while was Return of the King, the third in the LOTR trilogy, and also got to watch some HGTV and food network shows.

There was a large blob/cloud just left of center that extended from the top of the screen down to the bottom that was noticeably brighter than the rest of the tv during the more monochromatic scenes. There was a thin sliver of the same on the left edge. Not to suggest that these were the big clouds one would notice immediately like on LCD's of old, but after a while they started to make themselves apparent. Overall pretty darn good uniformity and I felt satisfied by the black levels, and best I've personally seen on an LCD in a home environment, but then again more noticeable to me than the VT50 uniformity, which is excellent though not perfect if you are sensitive to uniformity issues. BTW, they were never apparent during low APL scenes, the dimming works really really well there.

Last edited by mo949; 08-03-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1566 Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 957
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...v-review.11761

This review also covers the Sony's 3D for those interested.
post #1563 of 1566 Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6545 Post(s)
Liked: 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Ken, apologies for the late response. I must have missed this while I was out of state visiting. I was surprised to run into this TV in the wild, the husband of a friend of my wife's had one in his man cave. The content I got to watch on it for a little while was Return of the King, the third in the LOTR trilogy, and also got to watch some HGTV and food network shows.

There was a large blob/cloud just left of center that extended from the top of the screen down to the bottom that was noticeably brighter than the rest of the tv during the more monochromatic scenes. There was a thin sliver of the same on the left edge. Not to suggest that these were the big clouds one would notice immediately like on LCD's of old, but after a while they started to make themselves apparent. Overall pretty darn good uniformity and I felt satisfied by the black levels, and best I've personally seen on an LCD in a home environment, but then again more noticeable to me than the VT50 uniformity, which is excellent though not perfect if you are sensitive to uniformity issues. BTW, they were never apparent during low APL scenes, the dimming works really really well there.
Thanks mo. That's really odd in that I've yet to see a 940c that looked like that. In the owners threads I've not heard of an owner complaining about that either. He may have just gotten a bad one.
dsinger likes this.

post #1564 of 1566 Old 08-04-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
I've only seen just that one so far and I've never seen any complaints really either...only people like Imagic that scored the one you did see low at 80%. I'm definitely not blind buying anything at this point after the latest with OLED and the previous experiences I've had with uniformity.

I'm also waiting a tad to see if UHD will be a good upgrade for me or if they will mess it up somehow by forcing home media to have ridiculously high HDR brightness grading in order to receive the color and bit depth improvements that UHD brings. If they force it, then its a non issue for me if my next tv is UHD or not.
post #1565 of 1566 Old 05-27-2016, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
AustinJerry....thanks so much for your settings. Would appreciate if others could post theirs too for comparison. I ordered the xbr-75x940d and would like to ask the forum if I can use my existing Vesa style wall mount or do I have to order the Sony optional wall mount as I was unable to see the standard Vesa mount holes on the tv when I looked at the store and was wondering how the vertical bars attached. As always thanks for your help!
post #1566 of 1566 Old 05-27-2016, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sorry guys...my apologies...posted accidentally on wrong thread! Please ignore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version