Enable dynamic contrast on LG OLED EC9300? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Enable dynamic contrast on LG OLED EC9300?

hey guys so i had my ec9300 for 2 days now, beautiful set and great picture quality, one thing im missing though is some more "pop" and punchier colors like my Samsung A650 LCD had all these years, now, i had dynamic contrast enabled on my samsung so im used to having a picture with saturated colors, should i enable dynamic contrast on my lg oled as well?

im using the CINEMA picture mode on my LG EC9300 oled with Color temperature to WARM 1 instead of the default warm 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Don't use cinema picture mode if you want pop color. User standard/normal mode.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If you want that LCD style pop with bright colors, I would try standard mode. Turn brightness down a bit to 50 or 55. tweak the dynamic contrast and gamma settings. You could also try sports or vivid modes, but vivid is not normally recommended as it is too artificial and reduces blacks. I find cinema and movie modes a bit dull.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If you want that LCD style pop with bright colors, I would try standard mode. Turn brightness down a bit to 50 or 55. tweak the dynamic contrast and gamma settings. You could also try sports or vivid modes, but vivid is not normally recommended as it is too artificial and reduces blacks. I find cinema and movie modes a bit dull.
yea i find cinema mode dull as well, So i just switched to standard mode, i have brightness set at 50, what should i set OLED light and Contrast to?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 320
What is your gamma set at? Should be at least 2.3.

Interesting you feel a display with an unmeasurable contrast ratio lacks pop since image depth is usually what creates pop and contrast ratio is the main thing behind image depth.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
What is your gamma set at? Should be at least 2.3.

Interesting you feel a display with an unmeasurable contrast ratio lacks pop since image depth is usually what creates pop and contrast ratio is the main thing behind image depth.
Well could it be that i need to set the contrast higher? (its set at 80 now), my gamma is set to 2.2 by default in Cinema mode, oled light is at 60, brightness is at 50, sharpness is at 10
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 198
So, you don't want an accurate picture? Sad.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
So, you don't want an accurate picture? Sad.
I do but I want the colors to pop more
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Oled light setting controls the overall light output of the panel (set it higher for a brighter image/more "pop")
The brightness setting controls the shadow details, set it to low and you wont be able to see much detail in darker parts of the image, set it to high and the image will become washed out and lose "pop".

Contrast controls the detail visible in brighter parts of the image and also has an effect on brightness. Set it to low and the image will be to dim and lacking gradation in bright areas, set it to high and you will risk losing detail in brighter parts of the image.

To sum this all up, try this:
Oled light: Set to max
Contrast set to a comfortable brightness/white level while maintaining details in bright parts of the image (perhaps around 60 to start but I don't own the set so I can't give you a definitive contrast setting)
Brightness set as low as possible before you start losing details in darker parts of the image.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post
I do but I want the colors to pop more
It's kind of contradictory to want colors to be saturated outside of the color space they are graded for and yet still be accurate. If you want more "pop" and deep colors, turn the Color Gamut setting to "Wide" and turn on the Color Extension Engine to medium, as that seems to be the best setting without making colors look way too artificial. I use this only for Game preset since Wide gamut is the option it gets set to and I can't change it.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Gamma should be set to 2.4 on the TV as it is the closest one to 2.2. You should keep color gamut to Standard as it causes issues like green tint on low APL scenes. You should only use wide if you have a 3dLUT.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Also, try watching with accurate colors for a week (assuming you have calibration equipment and a real outboard CMS). Most people who do this end up preferring natural colors to oversaturated ones. The key though is making sure they are accurate (as well as the grayscale).

Re: standard v. wide, a lot of people have had banding on standard, which went away by going to wide. If you calibrate and find yourself with banding, try wide and recalibrate.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post
Also, try watching with accurate colors for a week (assuming you have calibration equipment and a real outboard CMS). Most people who do this end up preferring natural colors to oversaturated ones. The key though is making sure they are accurate (as well as the grayscale).

Re: standard v. wide, a lot of people have had banding on standard, which went away by going to wide. If you calibrate and find yourself with banding, try wide and recalibrate.
i dont have calibration tools
post #14 of 14 Unread Today, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wide color gamut ends up oversaturated. In addition, it causes a green tint in lower APL. Do not use wide gamut unless you have professional tools to calibrate it as you'll likely make the TV worse.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General