AKAI plasma at COSTCO - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
picked this up today at costco, was the screws for the wall bracket supposed to be included?.

i only have 4 screws in the that go in the back of the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Deelirous - No 'spacing' problems on the progressive scan, as described by Swee? Any special progressive scan settings to get the great results you describe?
post #93 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 08:00 AM

If I understand correctly, Swee is talking about a hard letterboxed DVD and Deelirous is talking about an anamorphic DVD, which would fill the screen. I noted that using progressive scan on component with an anamorphic DVD was also stunning. Filled the screen beautifully.

Deelirous, yes you are dealing with a limitation of the digital cable. It's still not high definition and Time Warner can't really honestly state it will be crystal clear. The larger the set, the more it will show the limitation of the source material. I still have yet to hook my Akai up to the cable output, but I am assuming it will not look very good. I am only hoping it looks acceptable and it's not too distracting. Otherwise there is a WAF I might have to deal with.
post #94 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 10:37 AM

Anyone running 1080 into the panel yet? Anyone?
post #95 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Randy- From what you say, I am understanding that there definately is an advantage to using a progressive scan DVD player over a non-progressive set on the Akai, even though the resolution of the plasma panel is 480. Do I have this right?
post #96 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyler
picked this up today at costco, was the screws for the wall bracket supposed to be included?.

i only have 4 screws in the that go in the back of the display.
mine had 4 screws already screwed into the display, and 4 more in a bag. the screws i removed from the panel were round head philips, and the ones in the bag were longer countersunk philips with integrated lockwashers. i think they were in the same bag as the mounting pucks, but i'm not sure about that.

you're not the first to report missing wall mount screws.

oh yeah, the screws for securing the mount to the wall are a supply your own kinda deal. the screws in the bag were for mounting the panel to its mount.

akai couldn't include screws for your wall because they don't know what your wall is made out of...

/chris
post #97 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 12:58 PM

Problem has been resolved.

I found the code to enter the service mode on the internet. I was able to adjust the vertical position in the service menu for progressive component signal. Now, the picture is perfectly vertically centered.

For those who want to tweak their panel, turn the panel off, then enter "mute", "1", "8", "2", "power" on the remote. It should come on in the service mode. Vertical position is in the first menu, the entry to adjust is "VPOS". When done, just power-off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Swee
When playing a letterbox DVD movie using progressive component video input 1, the picture is not vertically centered. It is shifted up, i.e. there is more grey at the bottom than the top. I have tried both a Sharp DV-S2U and a Panasonic CP72. The amount of vertical shift appears similar.

The picture is centered vertically when progressive output on the component video of the players are disabled.

This is my first progressive display of any kind. Please post your experience with the progressive video on component input 1. I might to exchange the unit at costco.

Thanks
post #98 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Swee - Thanks so much for publishing the instructions to get into the Akai Service Menu. Where did you find them - did the web page have any other useful information about the service menu or Akai adjustments, in general?
post #99 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 02:28 PM

Can anyone comment on the PQ of the Akai 42" plasma versus the equivalent Panasonic display?

I have visited my local Costco twice to examine the Akai. They are driving it with a Toshiba progressive DVD. Yesterday they were playing a Star Wars DVD, today a Disney animation. From a reasonable viewing distance, color and sharpness looked OK, although it is hard to really evaluate with those two sources (heavy CG and cell animation).

From what I could see, there display exhibits some "green fog". Also, I think the Panasonic exhibits visibly better black levels, but I think the Akai's blacks might be satisfactory, given the low price.

Can anyone comment on:
1) The degree of green fog inherent in the Akai display compared to the Panasonic?
2) The degree of green fog compared to other moderately priced displays?
3) "Screen door effect" compared to the Panasonic?
4) "Screen door effect" compared to others?
5) Any shortcomings regarding inputs (types and numbers), stretch mode, scaling, or other features compared to the Panasonic?
6) Any reason I should pass on this deal and save more money for a Panasonic or wait for their next model?
post #100 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisinboston

the picture on costco's site has not changed. the chin is still there.
I don't see a chin in this picture (from the cosco site). Pehaps the shadow below the image is fooling you.

http://www.costco.com/images/ProdIma...rod/622616.jpg

Steve
post #101 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Additional questions to add to my original post:

- I see no mention in the published specs of 3:2 pull-down. Can anyone confirm the absence or presence of this feature in the Akai plasma display?
post #102 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
I don't see a chin in this picture (from the cosco site). Pehaps the shadow below the image is fooling you.
nope, they changed the picture since my previous post. in the old picture you could even see the detail of the horizontal slats in the "chin" which i now understand to be part of the table stand.

/chris
post #103 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

If the Akai does not have the 3:2 pulldown, is it true you could get the same effect by purchasing a progressive scan dvd player with a 3:2 pulldown?
post #104 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by marchristensen
If the Akai does not have the 3:2 pulldown, is it true you could get the same effect by purchasing a progressive scan dvd player with a 3:2 pulldown?
Yes. You can buy a progressive scan DVD player that performs 3:2 pulldown. But, that wouldn't work for the signals coming from OTA antenna, or satellite, or cable.
post #105 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_in_SJ
Can anyone comment on the PQ of the Akai 42" plasma versus the equivalent Panasonic display?
If you really want the 42" SD Panasonic, I really suggest buying that unit over the Akai. Afterall, the panasonic is only $500 more than the Akai. Spending just $500 more to get exactly what you want is a relatively small sum compared to the price you are already going to spend on the Akai.

IMO, the black level of the Panasonic is a huge advantage when it comes to picture quality.
post #106 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes you can !!!

http://www.plasmaextreme.us/42pwd5uy.htm

Also try Visual Apex - Talk to Paul Gilmore (They should sell it around that price delivered)
http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/panasonic.html
post #107 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 09:01 PM

Swee -- thanks for the service menu info!
post #108 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 09:52 PM

After taking a second look at the Akai at Costco, I visited Magnolia HiFi in San Jose to see the Panasonic PT42PD3P. Turns out Magnolia aslo had a 42" Samsung, enabling a more direct comparison. Here are my observations:

1) The Akai is indeed a rebranded Samsung. Same case, controls, and menues. By the way, the stand (identical to the Akai stand on the Costo site) looks very nice.

2) HD PQ: Both displays were receiving the same terrestrial HD feed to component inputs. Both exhibited impressive PQ. As it was impossible to compare the displays side-by-side, due to their placement in the store, it was hard to judge if the Akai suffered worse from green fog. Perhaps the Panasonic had a slight edge, if any.

3) DVD PQ: The Fifth Element though S-Video inputs from a Bose DVD player/sound system on the Panasonic and a Yamha system on the Samsung. Looked great on the Panasonic; the Samsung was disappointing--pixilated with rough edges and textures and inferior rendition of dark scenes with deep shadows. I don't know if the difference was due to the different DVD-players or to differences in each display's video processing circuitry. The salesman suggested that using the component inputs might improve PQ on the Samsung, but he could not provide a component feed for comparison. However, based on what I saw at Costco (DVD through component inputs), I think he might be right.

4) SD PQ: no SD souce was available.

Musings:

I really want the Panasonic, but I find it hard to think about parting with so much money for a TV. I thought I might try the Akai (great price, in stock, take it home today, generous return policy) and return it I'm not happy, but that would be a hassel.

Here's the thing. My wife says, "Get the Panasonic." She would rather own that brand, regardless of the price. I'm glad she feels this way. In addition to the strengths of the Panasonic, when I consider the the included stand (an additional $130 for the Akai) and the current promotion for a free HDTV tuner, the price difference shrinks. Just got to find the strength to pry open my wallet.
post #109 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey Akai owners, where is the Akai made? I know Akai is a Japan company. How come everyone shirks the Daewoo, that's the one that's supposed to hv 3000.1 contrast? Costco has the Daewoo also.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #110 of 853 Old 01-22-2003, 11:51 PM

The Akai is made in Korea. As noted earlier in thread, it is a rebranded Samsung.

BTW, Akai is now just a marketing company. Present owners bought the name in 2001 and use it to market various products. They do not support the various Akai products of 1970s and onward that were sold by previous owners of the brand under that label.
post #111 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_in_SJ
I really want the Panasonic, but I find it hard to think about parting with so much money for a TV. I thought I might try the Akai (great price, in stock, take it home today, generous return policy) and return it I'm not happy, but that would be a hassel.

Here's the thing. My wife says, "Get the Panasonic." She would rather own that brand, regardless of the price. I'm glad she feels this way. In addition to the strengths of the Panasonic, when I consider the the included stand (an additional $130 for the Akai) and the current promotion for a free HDTV tuner ($400 list), the price difference shrinks. Just got to find the strength to pry open my wallet.
Your wife has the right idea. Think about it this way - yes it is very hard to part with $3K or $4K for a TV. But, how would you feel if you bought the Akai and, 6 mos later when the newness wears off, you really begin to notice stuff like jagged stairstepping in the picture due to lack of 3:2 pulldown processing and the poor black levels when watching a relatively dark movie. At that moment you come to the realization that, for just another $500 (assuming you buy the commercial Panasonic plasma online or buy the consumer version through a brick and mortar store and get the free HDTV tuner), you could have had the TV that you REALLY wanted in the first place. Suddenly that $500 saved just doesn't seem like such a great "deal" after all.

I can sympathize with how you feel. Personally, I really want the Fujitsu 50" plasma that can be had for $8,200 but the $5,500 - $6,000 Pioneer 503cmx is already at the very high end of my budget. It's very hard for me to decide if I should cough up the extra $2,500. I wish the price difference was only $500 - $1,000. Then, the decision would be very easy.
post #112 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Roger, thx for the Akai info. Are we absolutely sure it's the Samsung?

Guys picking up the Akai at Costco, pls note when bringing it home, don't put the package on it's side. Plasma's always need to stay in the upright position.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #113 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 07:51 AM

Interesting, the picture above is actually a picture lifted from the www.thecrane.com. They are selling timeshares on Crane Beach in Barbados and that's a picture of one of the units. How in the world did they get that on their plasma...hmmm...lifted from the website!

Matt
post #114 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 08:48 AM

Roger, thx for the Akai info. Are we absolutely sure it's the Samsung?

Guys picking up the Akai at Costco, pls note when bringing it home, don't put the package on it's side. Plasma's always need to stay in the upright position.
--------------------------------
As sure as can be. The Akai distributor in Santa Monica says so and refers callers to Samsung customer service for tech help. Samsung customer service says so. An eyeball comparison of the Akai (from my memory at Costco) and a Samsung SPL 4225 at Best Buy which showed the units to be identical externally and also in published specs in every way. I also think Samsung said that Samsung handles the warranty although, thankfully, I do not know this firsthand.

At our local BestBuy, they had a number of plasma panels (more than a week or two earlier) where they could be seen simultaneously. They had the Daewoo (if I remember correctly) and the Pana. All could be seen simultaneously. The Samsung compared favorably with the Pana. I was surprised because the panel has less native resolution. Maybe I could see no great difference because the feed to all units was of insufficient resolution to challenge the Pana. From about 8 ft away, the Samsung and Pana looked virtually identical. They both looked gorgeous. They all had the same feed which is a digital satellite feed (proprietary to BB for demo purposes) that seems to vary segment-by-segment in resolution, artifacts, quality, etc. I thought I might have seen better blacks in the Pana, but I also wondered if I saw that because I expected to see it. The Pana specs are also much better in contrast ratio than the Samsung, but again little to see by the eye.
post #115 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Roger
Can you please post phone numbers for Akai distributor and Samsung technical support. They might be good numbers to have in an emergency.
Thanks
And also thanks for clarifying the orgins of the Akai.
post #116 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by GlenH
Your wife has the right idea. Think about it this way - yes it is very hard to part with $3K or $4K for a TV. But, how would you feel if you bought the Akai and, 6 mos later when the newness wears off, you really begin to notice stuff like jagged stairstepping in the picture due to lack of 3:2 pulldown processing and the poor black levels when watching a relatively dark movie. At that moment you come to the realization that, for just another $500 (assuming you buy the commercial Panasonic plasma online or buy the consumer version through a brick and mortar store and get the free HDTV tuner), you could have had the TV that you REALLY wanted in the first place. Suddenly that $500 saved just doesn't seem like such a great "deal" after all.

I can sympathize with how you feel. Personally, I really want the Fujitsu 50" plasma that can be had for $8,200 but the $5,500 - $6,000 Pioneer 503cmx is already at the very high end of my budget. It's very hard for me to decide if I should cough up the extra $2,500. I wish the price difference was only $500 - $1,000. Then, the decision would be very easy.
Amen to all of this. This is exactly what I am going through.... The Daewoo is 3k and I can get 24 month 0%. The Viewsonic is 3,400 at 0% for 24 mo. Compelling. The wife says "get the one you wanted" - Panny. Still having the internal battle of what to do. Funny, I have agonized less about owning two homes and buying many cars in my lifetime.. :) Sigh.

PS - The links here for the panny by Glauco will not allow you to get the free tuner. It has to be the PT42PWD3P model...
post #117 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GlenH
But, how would you feel if you bought the Akai and, 6 mos later when the newness wears off, you really begin to notice stuff like jagged stairstepping in the picture due to lack of 3:2 pulldown processing and the poor black levels when watching a relatively dark movie. At that moment you come to the realization that, for just another $500 (assuming you buy the commercial Panasonic plasma online or buy the consumer version through a brick and mortar store and get the free HDTV tuner), you could have had the TV that you REALLY wanted in the first place. Suddenly that $500 saved just doesn't seem like such a great "deal" after all..
But... here is the other scenario. Maybe 6 months down the road, you are still happy with the purchase. I am not yet convinced that the PQ quality differences are large enough to be a concern. But if they are....there is a remedy.

Let me modify your above scenario for what I considered. I buy the Akai and 60 minutes later it is in my house. No shipping costs. No worrying about stuck/dead pixels. If mine had a stuck/dead pixel, I could just drive 10 minutes back to Costco and exchange it. No waiting for delivery at some date. No messing around with payment methods like paypal or bank transfer.

With the plasma, I want a 2 year warranty. For most dealers, that is going to cost me extra. With Costco, it's included since you can just return it. What is the value of a 2 year warrantee? Hard to say, but it's at least $100 yes? So now the cost difference is nearer $700 or even more if you go with the Panny consumer model. The consumer model gives you the free ATSC receiver, but that is only a value if you need one, which I do not.

In any case... 6 months later, I find out I am not totally thrilled. There is this nagging doubt that I did the wrong thing. The SD PQ is not quite what it should be. And interestingly, Panasonic has now released it's next generation plasma with built in tuners and speakers and DVI/HDCP.

Because for me, the choice right now is not the current Panasonic, but the one coming in July. And like you said, the savings don't mean that much when you ended up NOT getting the set you really wanted. Then again, I really wanted a Ferrari 360, but I settled for a Lotus Elise. Sometimes it does make sense to compromise. :)

Anyway, good points. I really wanted to mainly point out that the return policy of Costco skews the decision a bit. I am still evaluating my purchase for now and I am not sure I will stick with it. On progressive scan, component video fed DVDs, it looks great. I will hook it up to a cable HD feed tomorrow, alomg with the SD feed via S-Video. I was not happy with the PQ from my portable DVD player using composite.
post #118 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 11:49 AM

After my initial setup it looks really really good..

The wall mounting was completed last night so I was able to hookup my progressive scan DVD player and the HDTV Digital Cable.

HDTV (CBS and HBO from Austin Time Warner Cable) look awesome.

TiVo SVHS looks good! suprisingly better than I expected....

Cable looks great thru the Component Outputs, but suprisingly the SVHS output in panarama stretch mode is really really nice looking and for most 4x3 material I'll be watching in this mode.

had to build a custom color setting, the only one that vaguely looks nice is "mild" all the rest are too bright...

I wonder if there is a way thru the service settings, to tweak the other settings.. that would be awesome, one for DVD progressive, one for SVHS TiVo, one for SVHS Cable, and one for HDTV cable...

still more tweaking to go, but I totally got the WAF when she said, WOW regular cable even looks awesome!

Pat

As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly....Arthur Carlson
post #119 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by randychase
But... here is the other scenario. Maybe 6 months down the road, you are still happy with the purchase. I am not yet convinced that the PQ quality differences are large enough to be a concern. But if they are....there is a remedy... <snipped for brevity>
Randy,

I completely agree with your point of view as well. Costco does have the best return policy of any retailer I've ever dealt with. By buying the Akai from Costco, you can basically audition it for free for pretty much as long as you need.

My general point was, when making a big dollar purchase (be it a plasma monitor, car, furniture, etc.) people should not base their purchasing decisions on a relatively minor difference in price alone - especially if they have a clear preference for one item over another.
post #120 of 853 Old 01-23-2003, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen it in COSTCO and it has decent picture for the money. The price difference between AKAI and and SDTV Panny is between $500-750 (on the net). Besides it will be between $200-300 for Pannys delivery. For some people price difference of about a grand is significant.
I bought my NEC more then a year ago and paid for it reasonably at the time. I know that it is worth less money now but I've enjoyed it every minute that I've spent next to it.

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page