AVS Forum banner

Official 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV.

322K views 4K replies 371 participants last post by  muckyfingers 
#1 · (Edited)
This AVS Forum thread is for discussion of the LG 55EG9100 "full" 1080p HDTV set.

It is anticipated that the 2015-2016 set will be available in USA and elsewhere (with similar model #) in approximately late September / early October 2015.

For context, please consider indicating within your following post if you are an owner, or industry professional, or just speculating (without) experience with this particular LG 55EG9100 "full" 1080p HDTV set. Thank you.

Intention is to update these few initial posts as more official information is provided by LG or authorized retailers.

The following hyperlink is to a LG press release dated August 26, 2015:

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2015/08/lg-to-double-global-oled-tv-offerings-in-2015/

The following hyperlink is to the LG-USA web-page of this specific model LG 55EG9100 "full" 1080p OLED HDTV:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EG9100-oled-tv

Anticipating public release of additional details, characteristics and parameters 4 - 9 September 2015 at trade show in Berlin.

At this time, August 28, 2015 there is a pre-post pre-order placeholder with some technical details on web-page of B&H with an anticipated street price posted.

The following hyperlink is to the referenced online retailers web-page with a summary of technical details and specifications of 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 "full" 1080p HDTV OLED set:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180781-REG/lg_55eg9100_55_1080p_curved_fhd.html

NOTE: The 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV is discussed within this thread. The 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 is the successor to the 2014 LG 55EC9300 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV. At this time, August 28, 2015 the street price increment of the successor is anticipated to be approximately + $ 300 U.S.D. over the current street price of the 2014 LG 55EC9300.

Reference the following trade-article which predicts USA street availability of LG 55EG9100 "full" 1080p HDTV in August 2015.

{post # 43 herein within this thread is from an owner that obtained a unit on September 10, 2015.}.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Post # 5 reserved for suggested topic (s) of discussion that will be helpful to lurkers / readers / casual visitors / and potential owners in their consideration of LG 55EG9100 "full" 1080p HDTV set.

a) Consider the discussion of this particular set and other OLED sets with "enhanced" features such as 4K, High Dynamic Range that align with considerably higher street prices to access a fraction of available content. Consider the trade-off's.

The following is a hyperlink to a Forbes business article dated August 27, 2015:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/08/26/lg-launches-four-new-4k-uhd-oled-tvs/

b) For general orientation about O.L.E.D. technology, the following hyperlink is to John Archer's blog post of November 12, 2014 on Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...-explains-how-its-making-oled-tvs-affordable/

c)

d)

e)

f)

g)

#6 ·
55EG9100 specifications

Hi all,
I'm a first time poster on the forums. I had pretty much decided on the 55EC9300 last night, after hearing the 55EG9100 had been semi-announced (nothing on the product section of LG's website yet) because it's on sale, and the 9100 apparently having no "killer" new features.

Today I find the support section of LG's site for the 9100. The product specifications pdf lists 4K UHD file playback capability. I'm thinking down sampling UHD to HD is no BIG deal to me, there's not a whole lot of 4K content out there right now anyway. Any opinions out there?

#32 ·
Hi all,
I'm a first time poster on the forums. I had pretty much decided on the 55EC9300 last night, after hearing the 55EG9100 had been semi-announced (nothing on the product section of LG's website yet) because it's on sale, and the 9100 apparently having no "killer" new features.

Today I find the support section of LG's site for the 9100. The product specifications pdf lists 4K UHD file playback capability. I'm thinking down sampling UHD to HD is no BIG deal to me, there's not a whole lot of 4K content out there right now anyway. Any opinions out there?
Can you post a link to that .pdf?

I can not find it anywhere on LGs US support page...

#8 ·
Hello,

I am also a first time poster interested in this set. Can't wait to see some reviews and how it compares to the 55EC9300. After having been to Best Buy and seeing the picture quality of OLED sets firsthand, I want one! The last tv I purchased was a Sony XBR 46 inch model in 2006. It's been a great set but I'm looking forward to the new technology, which is very impressive.

#9 ·
Ok, LG, you've got my attention. I'd rather it was flat than curved, but an "affordable" OLED set is highly interesting to me as an upgrade from my VT55. Here's hoping that the terrible judder issues are gone. If so, I might bite on this.

Anyone have a sense of what street prices you tend to see on a LG set that MSRPs for $2300? I am not familiar with their typical pricing strategy...

#10 ·
Ok, LG, you've got my attention. I'd rather it was flat than curved, but an "affordable" OLED set is highly interesting to me as an upgrade from my VT55. Here's hoping that the terrible judder issues are gone. If so, I might bite on this.
With regard to 2014 LG 55EC9300 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV the judder essentially was eliminated on our set by exercising the manual setting of "JUST SCAN".

With regard to street pricing of LG products, it is my understanding that LG factory - USA attempts to hold authorized dealers to exceed a mandatory price floor per certain time period.

#14 ·
The EG9100 is an OLED TV... completely different technology than LCD IPS panels. IPS panels get worse ratings from ratings.com because they have lower contrast. On the plus side they have greater viewing angles than VA panel LCDs. It's a trade-off. Again, OLED technology has nothing to with LCD technology.

Ratings.com next review to be published (should be any day now) will be the LG EC9300, which should give you some idea of how the 55EG9100 performs. (the EG9100 is this year's replacement for last year's EC9300). They are both curved 1080p sets. This will be rtings.com's first OLED review.

#23 · (Edited)
It will be interesting at these price points in October 2015 to compare LG OLED 1080p with Hisense ULED 4k HDR UHDtv's in USA. For context, the following hyperlinks to John Archer's blog on Forbes dated August 28, 2015.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...omises-next-gen-picture-quality-on-the-cheap/

Sometimes I'm accussed of being an LG fan-boy.

Now I'll be accussed of being a heretic.

Here is a hyperlink to the relevant AVS Forum discussion thread on 65" Hisense ULED 4k HDR UHDtv:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ntum-dot-full-array-ld-240-zones-3-grand.html

relative to this price-point, an online retailer's summary of the competitor's set:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGIJBXS

and a third monkey wrench thrown at LG's high-priced 4k HDR OLED's... the following hyperlink is to the Hisense USA web-page of the competition.

http://www.hisense-usa.com/tvs/H10B/65/120

Just something to think about before offering up hard-earned cash for a HDtv.

#24 · (Edited)
Back on the topic of 2015 LG 55EG9100 1080p OLED HDtv.

It will be interesting at these price points in October 2015 to compare LG OLED 1080p with Hisense ULED 4k HDR UHDtv's in USA. .

http://www.hisense-usa.com/tvs/H10B/65/120

Just something to think about before offering up hard-earned cash for a HDtv.
Has anyone seen current and forecasted percentages of various internet programming now and in near-future ? What percentage of online programming is or will be 4k - UHD ?

Any hope for a linear ESPN-4k-UHD channel by year 2017 ?

Although beefy sales of UHD are increasing, how relevant will they be for a few years ?

regardless, I'm personally miffed at LG for high (excessive) markups on OLED UHDtv's and similarly miffed at Sams*ng for high (excessive) markups on quantumn dot SUHDtv's.

Not clear to me if there is any sunk cost justification for such markup other than profit taking. If so, bring it on Hisense.

The relevant AVS Forum thread, among others, for LG OLED HDR 4K UHDtv's is at the following hyperlink: :

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...lg-announces-ef9500-flat-oled-uhdtvs-hdr.html

Rant over... for now.

#34 ·
Like some others, I'm torn between picking up the 55EC9300 and waiting to see the reviews of the 55EG9100. I'm especially interested to see if the new model eliminates some of the motion/judder issues that many reviewers have mentioned. (I don't care about 4k or webOS 2.0, at least I don't think I care. My objective is to get the best pq for watching films.) So I have two questions, and I apologize for their naiveté. 1) Is the 9100 replacing the 9300, so that the latter will be discontinued, sooner rather than later? and 2) for those with experience watching the release of new models, any guesses on the lag time when *both* models are available? It looks like the 9100 is going to hit the market imminently; any guess on how long I have to pick up a new 9300 from a reliable retailer?

Many thanks for the advice.

#72 ·
Like some others, I'm torn between picking up the 55EC9300 and waiting to see the reviews of the 55EG9100.
The 1080P versions I feel are pretty maxed out. They are so amazing at this point, can they really get that much better.

#35 ·
Well, might as well also post this here, since you're asking about 4K file support:
A user of german hifi-forum went to a nearby Mediamarkt electronics store, equipped with some slides and video files to check out the new LG 55EG9100 Full HD OLED TV and LG 55EG9200 4K OLED TV.

Photos can be seen here: LG 55EG910 (1080p) und 55EG920 (UHD), Nachfolger des EC930, LG - HIFI-FORUM (Seite 4) (First 3 pics the EG9200, 2nd half the EG9100)
Those pics remind me of what the 55EC9300 (pink tint) and the EG9600 (a bit of yellowing in the centre of the screen as seen on some sets) look like.
webOS 2.0 menu navigation on the EG9200 feels a bit smoother than on the EG9100, though it's not like the EG9100 is slow.
The EG9200 plays HEVC files (the EG9100 doesn't) and, as we know, comes with HDR support right out of the box. There was no problem with the playback of the Life of Pi 4K HDR demo HEVC file (including a "HDR active" popup).

#37 ·
Is the back of this TV seriously white? I have an all black room and would like to purchase this TV but am now concerned. It will be wall hung. Has anyone heard of anything to do in this situation? Can one vinyl wrap the back or something? lol

What are the benefits to this one over last year's model? Do we not know yet?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

#43 ·
Just set mine up today.

I've been looking around and I think I am the first consumer to get my hands on this, I can't find any info out about this TV -- It's even been removed from LG's US website. I work for hhgregg, and our warehouses have received the POs on this model but have not been sent to any stores yet. If you want to pick one of these up, you WILL be able to walk into an hhgregg and receive one in a couple of days, the associates probably won't know if its existence yet, so supply them with a model # and you should be good to go. I am going to continue to spend time with the unit, is there anything specific you guys would like to know?

There are a few design changes to the chassis, the other changes that I know of are WebOS 2.0, the addition of Ultra Luminance and 4K video file playback capability.